• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Soo...
Why does the people i fight against have more abbilities than i do? :( ( even after using these things to add more, i can only go up to 3)

Its the clothes, right? Also why the bar doesnt fill after each battle or is that normal?
Yeah, each piece of gear can have up to 3 slots at maximum, 1 sub perk per slot. So you can have 3 main perks and 9 sub perks, divided over hats, shirts and shoes. Gear you buy from the shops will have N slots unlocked, N being the number of stars on the gear. Gear you buy from Spyke can have have anything from the minimum number of slots unlocked, to the exact assortment of perks on the gear that you originally ordered.

If your bar for a piece of gear isn't filling up after a battle, it could be one of the following:
1) Your gear has filled out its 3 slots. It can't get any more sub perks.
2) Your gear has filled out all of its open slots. If you want to unlock more slots, you'll have to talk to Spyke in the alley at the right of the plaza and pay a lot of money.
3) You're playing a ranked match and got knocked out, so your team earned 0 points.

The formula and all ability values are given in How to Calculate Ability Effects, there's also a link to all Japanese graphs (see replies).
Thanks! :)

Now though I'm actually trying to find exact numbers for how much one's run speed is affected while firing a weapon. I know that one basically slows down to a crawl while firing a jet squelcher, but one can still remain fairly mobile while firing a splattershot or nzap.

ChrisD

Glad to see I'm not 100% alone, but I'm expecting to adjust to the controls in time. Its just funny because I'm a moderately high skilled shooter player, and playing Splatoon has been a struggle so far. I do well enough, but have a hard time being as accurate as I know I can be in other games. It makes me nervous for Star Fox Zero.

Which weapon are you using? Some shoot more accurately than others. The obvious being Chargers. Could try those out if you haven't yet. I swap to them every month or so just to fail because I can't aim try to improve my accuracy.

nom

Still some spaces left in our GAFHouse tournament

Friday 4th December (5PM PST, 8PM EST, 1AM GMT - Saturday):

**Quote me for sign up link:

Saturday 5th December (Noon PST, 3PM EST, 8PM GMT)

For more details check here. It should be fun ;)

ChrisD

If there's been ideas for a fourth mode in this thread, I'd be interested in reading them.

Same. I really can't think of much else.
Not to say another great idea doesn't exist, I just can't think of any. Would like to hear them so I can join in on the wanting and not receiving. :p

Urchin Underpass has been in way too many Rainmaker Rotations lately. Ugh. I just don't like that stage for the mode.

ss-hikaru

Still some spaces left in our GAFHouse tournament

Friday 4th December (5PM PST, 8PM EST, 1AM GMT - Saturday):

Saturday 5th December (Noon PST, 3PM EST, 8PM GMT)

For more details check here. It should be fun ;)

Sounds like fun! Will anyone be streaming it? I'm too scared of all you S/S+ rankers to join but for now maybe I'll join discord :p

noshten

Story of this Rainmaker rotation:

DeAqEan.jpg

Literally 75% of my matches tonight, make a path clear out enemies - team mate with rainmaker is still at the middle of the map.

Kito

Inklings v. Octolings? Strange those character models aren't being used outside of story.

So the mechanic of this new mode would include AI Octolings somehow? I never really got the Octoling hype and I'd say they're just a skin, but we already have their weapon and clothes.

Kito

Literally 75% of my matches tonight, make a path clear out enemies - team mate with rainmaker is still at the middle of the map.

Snap but for SZ & TC and my teammates manage 3 splats only if they're lucky. I only rank up in RM. My advice would be to maneuver the rainmaker yourself.

ChrisD

HOLY SHIT, SPLATOON WON BEST MULTIPLAYER!

At Game Awards!

I'm actually surprised.
It beat the likes of Destiny, Halo 5, and even BLOPS 3?

Well deserved, anyway.

Awesome! And well deserved, indeed! If I could somehow play this local co-op, I'd have no need for Rocket League. That's mostly only played by the group because couch play.

(Not to downplay how fun that game is as well, but Splatoon is the winner had it also had the capabilities)

Neoxon

So Splatoon won both Shooter of the Year & Multiplayer Game of the Year during the VGAs. All is right in the world.

Jims

I know it's just a dumb subjective awards show, but really happy to see Splatoon win Best Shooter and Best Multiplayer. I remember a lot of people got on its case about the lack of voice chat thing, the map rotation, the content at release, etc., that its fun gameplay wasn't really the main talking point about the game sometimes. Glad to see it get its recognition as a legitimately great shooter.

Splatoon has got to be Nintendo's most shining moment of Wii U, right? I know Smash 4 was bigger and has way more hype but the way Splatoon came out of nowhere is amazing.

(Although Amiibo made them more money. But I wouldn't want to vote for Amiibo.)

J@hranimo

Banned
As I always say during new map hype, this map is...great! Although initially the colors were so bright
but the colors feel so right :D

Looking forward to the other game modes on this map and hopefully it's in the splatfest this weekend.

Geg

Yeah I think the only award that got its own thread was Witcher 3 getting GOTY, which makes sense since it's the GOTY award. No reason to make one just for Splatoon's wins

So in Mahi-Mahi Resort the water level stuff in ranked is tower control drops immediately, rainmaker mode drops after 2:30.

I was expecting it to be like camp triggerfish and drop at the start for all ranked modes.

nom

Sign ups for today's GAF House tournament are now closed! (though you can still sign up if you want to be a reserve)

Thank you to everyone that signed up, I'll be posting teams later ;)

Saturdays tournament is still open!

Sounds like fun! Will anyone be streaming it? I'm too scared of all you S/S+ rankers to join but for now maybe I'll join discord :p

Just sign up it will be fun ;) we have a big mix of players and I'm trying to keep teams balanced. Tonights tournament should hopefully all be available to watch on Twitch.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Just sign up it will be fun ;) we have a big mix of players and I'm trying to keep teams balanced. Tonights tournament should hopefully all be available to watch on Twitch.

Just to follow on from this, I will personally be stream commentating on the Saturday Tournament over on my (recently created) twitch channel. The goal is to try to go for an approach similar to the EndGameTV casting of the Inkstorm tournament, which will mean pulling footage from other GAF streamers as the event happens. Alas, I am no where near as professionally equipped or experienced as the EndGame team, but I hope to do a good job!

In all honesty though, it's mostly just a bit of fun for everyone in SplatGAF; with a particular nod to the regulars in the Discord room. People seem to like my comms in-game at least. :p

doop_

Banned
Sign ups for today's GAF House tournament are now closed! (though you can still sign up if you want to be a reserve)

Thank you to everyone that signed up, I'll be posting teams later ;)

Saturdays tournament is still open!

Crap was gonna sign up.

nom

So here is the set up for our first GAF only Splatoon Tournament (recently voted best multiplayer and shooter of 2015)... GAFHouse - thank you Nintendo Treehouse ;)

Keep up to date with the bracket here. Most of the games should be streamed too! Check out the Multistream!

KB7237a.png

Map List:
(1) + (2) = Camp Triggerfish, (3) = Blackbelly Skatepark, (4) = Saltspray Rig, (5) = Mahi Mahi Resort, (6) = Flounder Heights (Reset = Bluefin Depot)

The teams:

Team Name: Capitan Todd & the Kraken Trackers
Team Members: Toadsili T, SM239, Moskito, cucholix, Sendou (R)
Team Strategy: Voice Comms and Krakens

Captain’s Log: Toadsili T
Burgers or Pizza? Why not both?
Callie or Marie? Marie ❤
Favorite Map: Arowana Mall
Favorite Mode: Rainmaker
Favorite Weapon: .96 Gal Deco

Stream: SM239

Team Name: WALKMAN and his walkkids
Team Members: WALKMAN04, Azure J, Jahranimo, Doorman, doop (R), Ryechu (R)
Team Strategy: Play as a team and have fun!
lol 3 players just play as if they are beakons so that i can jump to them if needed

Captain’s Log: WALKMAN04
Burgers or Pizza? Pizza
Callie or Marie? Marie
Favorite Map: Arowana Mall
Favorite Mode: Tower Control
Favorite Weapon: I play 42 weapons
E-liter 3K Scope

Stream: Azure J

Team Name: #E X P O S E D
Team Members: James, Kildud3, Wiseblade, BlueSilver, Heng (R)
Team Strategy: Try not to get salty PJSalt

Captain’s Log: James
Burgers or Pizza? Pizza
Callie or Marie? Callie
Favorite Map: Camp Triggerfish
Favorite Mode: Rainmaker
Favorite Weapon: N-Zap '85

Stream: James

Team Name: Paint the Base
Team Members: backlot, ynnaD, Coaster, Burnburn, Goya (R), Saro (R)
Team Strategy: Play the objective

Captain’s Log: backlot
Burgers or Pizza? Pizza
Callie or Marie? Marie
Favorite Map: Blackbelly Skatepark
Favorite Mode: Tower Control
Favorite Weapon: Gold Aerospray

Stream: ynnaD

More details for the teams/players will be posted in the Discord server so please keep an eye out that. If you're not playing feel free to join the Discord server and watch the chaos unfold. *Teams are subject to change if we have late arrivals etc.

Top Bottom