• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Nightii

Banned
If the "content until at least January" thing means no more actual updates, I can see them just skipping this week "because Splatfest".

There's no Splatfest in Japan this week though.
Or Europe. It means after Saturday Europe will be an entire splatfest behind the rest of the world. And people keep telling me NOE are the "good" Nintendo. The last time they delayed a splatfest they at least told people but nada here. I kind of expect an announcement on Saturday but I almost want there to not be one so I quit wasting my time on this game.

Sorry, I'm just really bitter after a really shitty streak of ranked matches that leave me feeling I've achieved bugger all in 186 hours of play. I was also starting to block players out of spite which is also a bad sign (an example being a .96 gal deco player who shoots from the grave and turns into a kraken after taking lethal amounts of damage).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Or Europe. It means after Saturday Europe will be an entire splatfest behind the rest of the world. And people keep telling me NOE are the "good" Nintendo. The last time they delayed a splatfest they at least told people but nada here. I kind of expect an announcement on Saturday but I almost want there to not be one so I quit wasting my time on this game.

Sorry, I'm just really bitter after a really shitty streak of ranked matches that leave me feeling I've achieved bugger all in 186 hours of play. I was also starting to block players out of spite which is also a bad sign (an example being a .96 gal deco player who shoots from the grave and turns into a kraken after taking lethal amounts of damage).

Bitterness is a common side effect of playing Splatoon

Really strange that NoE hasn't done a Splatfest in a while, though.

ffdgh

I did it....I FINALLY F***ING DID IT!!!! :,D
aIwAIqz.jpg

My face when my teammates don't know how to go around in Rainmaker and try to go straight down into the enemy's camp instead of the much more safer route I've already painted for them.

Thanks obama.

I've been having a blast playing the game again with a buddy of mine who jumped into the Wii U a few months ago. Almost got 200 hours on it now and I've been playing since launch.

ChrisD

I did it....I FINALLY F***ING DID IT!!!! :,D
aIwAIqz.jpg

You may be one of the fastest S+ in this thread (top three at least) considering you didn't own the game from the get-go? :eek:

Grats!

My face when my teammates don't know how to go around in Rainmaker and try to go straight down into the enemy's camp instead of the much more safer route I've already painted for them.

Thanks obama.

I've been having a blast playing the game again with a buddy of mine who jumped into the Wii U a few months ago. Almost got 200 hours on it now and I've been playing since launch.

Hrrrmmm, this bugs me even more when people are so set in their side-lane ways that they won't go down the middle path that I'm covering them for. Mid-lane is an excellent distance maker if side has been the route of choice all game, as defense tends to wane.

ss-hikaru

Now this may not be a common recommendation, but I highly suggest trying Hero mode aka Single player campaign. They're short yet funlevels you go through and teaches you most of the fundamentals.

I second this. I played a couple of levels before really jumping into multi and it really helped. Especially with the platforming aspects haha (if that's the correct way to describe the swimming and jumping parts).

Just started.....not that great but I do love the roller lol

Add me if you want a scrub!
V1C1OUS
Welcome to Splatoon! :) I'm personally pretty bad with rollers (and I would like to fix that!), but when you find the time, hop in to the Discord channel and you might find someone that can give you some tips. If you want to know more about SplatGAF's Discord channel, this post will be of use to you:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174513738&postcount=2

The first part of the post is for IRC, which I don't know if we use that much anymore. After that you'll see the details for Discord and how to sign on (and how to get into the SplatGAF channel). If you have any questions though, please feel free to ask here!

Opposite of what he says? So it's not a good Video?
Correct. It is not a good video for learning how to play the game :p

I don't know of any good tutorial videos that I can recommend, but what I would recommend you try is the following:
1. Leave motion controls on and play with them so that you get used to them.
2. Play the single player campaign so that you can get used to the controls.

Motion controls aren't mandatory (one of the best players in our community is a sticks-only player), but I feel that they're really useful for small movements and quick twitchy movements, or combined with stick controls they really let you turn around quickly. When you get online and start fighting players that move around a lot, either by jumping or by stacking a lot of Run Speed Up for fast movement while firing, being able to adjust your aim quickly will be important.

ChrisD

Opposite of what he says? So it's not a good Video?

Sorry, it was a dumb joke. :p

Yeah, the guy talking in the video isn't too good at the game -- which isn't a problem. But he definitely shouldn't have made any How-To's heh. There's a Sub-Weapon called a Squid Beakon which you can place for Superjumping to (so long as it's still up). Basically, it's a jump point that you choose the placement of. However, in the How To Play video he doesn't even explain what they do, instead opting to take a guess of things by saying, "You have a Squid Beakon which you can throw around, and it will kind of tell you where the opponents are."

So. How-To video with someone who doesn't know... how-to.

He also says things like, "The Roller probably isn't even that good," "You should just try to roll over people, the ink fling isn't that strong," and he managed to die to a short-ranged enemy by missing all attempts of attacking with his Kraken Super.

-The Roller is great (though map-specific, as all other weapons are)
-The ink fling is the main method of attack, as rolling is a dangerous approach (It's used like a shotgun, basically)

Anyways, alongside CoconutTank's helpful tips, if you would like to watch actual Analysis/"How-To" videos, you can't go wrong with DUDE, a highly-ranked Splatoon player who actually makes Youtube content. No dumb jokes this time, but unfortunately no Roller videos either. May come in handy to watch a pro player just to get an idea on how movement and gameflow works. ^^

ChrisD

Nintendo's servers screwing up? I've played for hours today, but I popped back in for some Rainmaker and I just got disconnected from two games (though not consecutively!). Each one ate 10 Rating Points too, for some reason. I could have sworn D/C punishments were made less... harsh, in a previous patch.

Burnburn

Nintendo's servers screwing up? I've played for hours today, but I popped back in for some Rainmaker and I just got disconnected from two games (though not consecutively!). Each one ate 10 Rating Points too, for some reason. I could have sworn D/C punishments were made less... harsh, in a previous patch.

For what it's worth, ever since the patch i have only dc'd during rainmaker matches. Quite often too, atleast 1-2 every rainmaker rotation. I honestly think there might be something in rainmaker that makes people disconnect faster. I don't have the strongest connection, but it was always enough before the patch.

nom

I think the Discord invite link in NotLiquid's post might be outdated. I'll leave a link at the bottom of this post (quote to see it)

I recommend the server if you're getting started because there's always plenty of people online that can answer any questions you might have plus it's a much easier way to organise squads/private battles :)

Just started.....not that great but I do love the roller lol
I'd advise upping the control sensitivity as ultimately it means faster camera movement than having lower sensitivity would so advantageous. At the same Yu-go (an extremely good .52 gal player) apparently doesn't play like that so it isn't totally essential.

Rollers can have a tricky time. Head-on confrontations usually end badly if they try rolling towards someone and while ink flicking can be effective it has a narrow sweet spot (try it in the firing range to see what I mean). They thrive in point blank surprise attacks though.

When you get online and start fighting players that move around a lot, either by jumping or by stacking a lot of Run Speed Up for fast movement while firing, being able to adjust your aim quickly will be important.
This reminds me. I've got a question related to this. So last night I was against Sonic the Hedgehog himself (well only 7 run speed up sub...close enough). He wasn't using a Zapper but if he was would he have exceed the 25% faster run speed cap that you get from run speed up?

For what it's worth, ever since the patch i have only dc'd during rainmaker matches. Quite often too, atleast 1-2 every rainmaker rotation. I honestly think there might be something in rainmaker that makes people disconnect faster. I don't have the strongest connection, but it was always enough before the patch.
My horrible ranked matches last night were during rainmaker. It was extremely laggy to the point I would pick up the rainmaker and it wouldn't register until a second or so later. Should have tried super jumping (which does work in such situations). I have a good enough connection now so I'm guessing rainmaker doesn't register someone as having it until all players in the room acknowledge they have it. Any idea if the disconneciton would happen when someone picks up the rainmaker? When I had a poor connection I'd usually get unstable connection/disconnected whenever I splatted someone or was splatted myself so I'm wondering if the kicking people from rooms is about disagreements/desyncs in states like that.

11 am PT, remember
Seeing them in coloured shirts makes me sad ink colour isn't an option in private rooms. I guess if it was people would demand white ink (which if you hack it in looks terrible on the results screen as the UI is not designed around it)

Burnburn

My horrible ranked matches last night were during rainmaker. It was extremely laggy to the point I would pick up the rainmaker and it wouldn't register until a second or so later. Should have tried super jumping (which does work in such situations). I have a good enough connection now so I'm guessing rainmaker doesn't register someone as having it until all players in the room acknowledge they have it. Any idea if the disconneciton would happen when someone picks up the rainmaker? When I had a poor connection I'd usually get unstable connection/disconnected whenever I splatted someone or was splatted myself so I'm wondering if the kicking people from rooms is about disagreements/desyncs in states like that.

All the dcs I could remember was me picking up the rainmaker, it not registering, me going back for the rainmaker again, standing on top of it still not picking it up and dc'ing. So you might be on to something. Oh and everytime the dc happened someone from the other team dc'd immediatelly too.

This reminds me. I've got a question related to this. So last night I was against Sonic the Hedgehog himself (well only 7 run speed up sub...close enough). He wasn't using a Zapper but if he was would he have exceed the 25% faster run speed cap that you get from run speed up?
So, from my understanding, there's no cap to any benefits that you get from perks. There is a logarithmic curve which makes higher investments contribute less of an effect, but there's no explicit cap, outside of the fact that you only have 3 main slots and 9 sub slots to contribute to perks.

I think some folks from 2ch did their own research on Splatoon perks, which greatly debunked what we originally understood about caps and whatnot. The 2ch research was covered further back in this thread, but when this question was brought up in Discord I was given the following pictures:
Run Speed Up chart said:
Swim Speed Up chart said:

The units of the vertical axis for each chart is in move speed.
The units of the horizontal axis for each chart is in perk points contributed.

Each main ability contributes to 10 points for a perk; each sub ability contributes to 3 points for a perk. Fully investing all slots into a perk would then be worth 57 points (3 * 10 + 3 * 9).

On the Run Speed Up chart, base move speed appears to be a bit under 100% move speed, and applying Run Speed Up to all of your slots (a la Sonic) will make you move at 240% move speed. You can already reach 125% move speed by investing around 2 mains and 1 sub worth of Run Speed Up.

So, from my understanding, there's no cap to any benefits that you get from perks. There is a logarithmic curve which makes higher investments contribute less of an effect, but there's no explicit cap, outside of the fact that you only have 3 main slots and 9 sub slots to contribute to perks.
Okay so to reprase my question. How many points is the invisible run speed up built into the zapper worth? I want to think 9 points (as patch notes say increase run speed by 10%) so in that case the graphs should be extended to 66.

Unless of course it is an independent boost.

ChrisD

My Shirt and Tie I bought off of someone with Special Saver Main/3 Special Saver Subs was received with One Main/One Sub. Added slots myself, and rolled another sub. I'm pretty happy with it!

Giard

Just got this game two weeks ago...

Can't remember the last time I've had this much fun playing a game online. I'm level 7 now with a pretty good score each game. The aesthetics are great, the games are quick-paced, it's just awesome.

ChrisD

Just got this game two weeks ago...

Can't remember the last time I've had this much fun playing a game online. I'm level 7 now with a pretty good score each game. The aesthetics are great, the games are quick-paced, it's just awesome.

Another Squid-Kid! Glad you're enjoying the game!

It's one of the freshest games in a long time. Not without flaws, but it has set an EXCELLENT foundation for a hopeful series.

Got the game today, it's really something to see a game with all that Nintendo charm and style but not starring the same established characters I've known forever.

I'm struggling a bit with the motion controls though. I turned them off but the way the crosshair moves around isn't like a traditional third person shooter camera, so that just feels super off and janky too.

I went back to the motion controls, I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of them but man I don't like them at all right now. Game is fun all around though.

ChrisD

Try the singleplayer mode to get a hang of the controls in a less stressful, yet still fun environment. The campaign is really fun; short and sweet clocking in at about... Three, four hours?

They're not necessary, but 90% of the players seem to swear by them -- me included. The added accuracy and finesse is highly advantageous.

Welcome to the game/thread/SplatGAF. :D

I rolled my Punk Yellows naturally in the last Rotation in an attempt to fill out more gear and play with a less serious mindset. The result? Rockenberg, so I got a Run Speed Up... Then a Special Saver sub to add onto it's main, that's cool. Last slooooOOOOH IT'S ANOTHER SAVER.

I now have a Shirt AND Shoes with Special Saver Main/2Subs! The former less awesome because why would you not wear Cold-Blooded in most modes, but still -- I'm happy with these lucky rolls today!

ffdgh

Cold blooded was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.
Quick respawn master race

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've leveled any cold blooded shirts.

Astral Dog

Soo...
Why does the people i fight against have more abbilities than i do? :( ( even after using these things to add more, i can only go up to 3)

Its the clothes, right? Also why the bar doesnt fill after each battle or is that normal?

ChrisD

Cold blooded was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.
Quick respawn master race

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've leveled any cold blooded shirts.

Cold-Blooded is a mistake. Too polarizing. But I hate having a fate worse than death, aka being marked, so I feel forced into running it. Quick Respawn is much funner, which is why I often wear my Comeback/3Sub QR, and Main/1Sub QR shoes along with Cold-Blooded.

Soo...
Why does the people i fight against have more abbilities than i do? :( ( even after using these things to add more, i can only go up to 3)

Its the clothes, right? Also why the bar doesnt fill after each battle or is that normal?

Afraid I don't know the exact question being asked here. I'll try to answer what I'm reading it as:

Clothes are indeed what grant abilities. Every clothing has a main ability (the big circle), and up to three sub abilities (the ones that start out as question marks). So the minimum number of abilities on a person is three Mains and three Subs, and the maximum is three Mains and nine Subs. The main ability is worth roughly ten "points" in it's respective skill, while each sub is worth three. So a general rule to keep in mind is three subs is roughly equal to a main.

The bar for your clothing will stop going up once you've "rolled" an ability through filling the bar. Think of it like leveling up in an RPG. Once there are no more question marks, there's no more bars to fill.

I can't remember the exact level you must be to add new slots, but it seems you already know that such a thing is possible.

Also, the abilities are helpful. But barring a few cases, they aren't enough to push a player over another. So don't feel too threatened by someone wearing 3Mains/9Subs while you're stuck with 3Main/3Subs.

[One of said cases are Chargers and anything with Burst Bombs; the bomb that explodes immediately on contact. Both of these things benefit GREATLY from damage up.]

ViciousDS

Banned
Got the game today, it's really something to see a game with all that Nintendo charm and style but not starring the same established characters I've known forever.

I'm struggling a bit with the motion controls though. I turned them off but the way the crosshair moves around isn't like a traditional third person shooter camera, so that just feels super off and janky too.

I went back to the motion controls, I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of them but man I don't like them at all right now. Game is fun all around though.

It's the gamepad analog sticks, they aren't tight and.....they have a dead zone that's just off. Motion controls are really starting to sink in on me. I don't have the accuracy to snipe.....but once you learn to dive and get crafty with the weapon you like.....it all comes around. Was on the bottom most of the night till i found a gun I love and learned how to avoid Reychu lol

Nightii

Banned
Spyke starts offering slot upgrades and rerolls once you reach level 20, bear in mind that he charges quite a lot, so I personally don't think it's worth investing in it when you first get access to the service.

Better wait for after the Splatfest, GO TEAM PIZZA!

I think some folks from 2ch did their own research on Splatoon perks, which greatly debunked what we originally understood about caps and whatnot. The 2ch research was covered further back in this thread, but when this question was brought up in Discord I was given the following pictures:

The formula and all ability values are given in How to Calculate Ability Effects, there's also a link to all Japanese graphs (see replies).

Glad to see I'm not 100% alone, but I'm expecting to adjust to the controls in time. Its just funny because I'm a moderately high skilled shooter player, and playing Splatoon has been a struggle so far. I do well enough, but have a hard time being as accurate as I know I can be in other games. It makes me nervous for Star Fox Zero.

Gonna play some more tonight, I really enjoy the basic premise of the game. The Inklings are awesome, one day in and I'm convinced they need to be in Smash. Splatoon needs a solid push at becoming more than a one-off thing.

J@hranimo

Banned
Well looks like Discord is having technical difficulties. Bleh.

Glad to see I'm not 100% alone, but I'm expecting to adjust to the controls in time. Its just funny because I'm a moderately high skilled shooter player, and playing Splatoon has been a struggle so far. I do well enough, but have a hard time being as accurate as I know I can be in other games. It makes me nervous for Star Fox Zero.

Gonna play some more tonight, I really enjoy the basic premise of the game. The Inklings are awesome, one day in and I'm convinced they need to be in Smash. Splatoon needs a solid push at becoming more than a one-off thing.

Yeah as it is a vastly different play style compared to most shooters it's gonna be weird adjusting. I say just keep playing with the sensitivity and see what works best for you. If you still can't play well then there is a no gyro setting for playing with just the sticks.

Top Bottom