• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Nightii

Banned
WOOHOO! This makes up for the red ink not being red at all, helloooo 24 snails!

I sure got lucky, I picked my side on a whim at the last possible moment.
They need to stop giving Marie the more popular team often, at least give us topics that are more close like Art vs Science.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they were doing this time. On paper, most kids and teens are going to pick Naughty because 2cool4school, which is honestly what I thought would happen.

J@hranimo

Banned
They need to stop giving Marie the more popular team often, at least give us topics that are more close like Art vs Science.

I have all the gear/abilities I need, so no skin off me.

Yup, too bad the generic "good vs bad" pairing is ingrained in our heads to change it haha.

Meh...

I thought team naughty had more squids there. The curse continues... Not even a single victory in splatfests.

Team Marie needs to get the least popular choice so I can finally win my first Splatfest. Well, at least I got 18 sea snails.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they were doing this time. On paper, most kids and teens are going to pick Naughty because 2cool4school, which is honestly what I thought would happen.

I knew that this would have been a repeat of Transformers' results, but I still went Nice anyway because some other gaffers were choosing nice.

Doorman

Woohoo! Way to go, fellow ne'er-do-wells, a victory well-earned. I'm actually kind of surprised that the categories each wound up as one-sided as they were, popularity and wins both. Started off really rough in the early going but I'm glad things worked out as they did.

It still is kind of a shame that the scoring for popular vote is so thoroughly useless now, though. At this point if a category would be voted so one-sided as to make up for and overcome a x6 win differential, it's probably a pairing of options that shouldn't make the cut as a splatfest to begin with.

If I can interject on the GAFhouse tournament listings, I've seen my team's current roster

RQeGIrA.png

Team Name: Team Woomy Zoomy
Team Members: doop, Jamtin, Nico_D, SM239, Smashkirby, Triforce141
Team Strategy: Play the game
qnaKlwW.png

Captain’s Log: Triforce141
Naughty or Nice?
PszNfxk.png

Callie or Marie? Yes
Least Favorite Map: Training Area
Least Favorite Mode: Battle Dojo
Least Favorite Weapon: Any weapon that doesn't have a sprinkler

Is it possible to update my captain icon to this?

I havent notice yet.
Why the hell is everyone doing this?
Spoilers are memes (I remember snape kills dubeldore ending up everywhere...thank goodness I was on holiday and offline when that book came out so no spoilers for me) and Splatoon is always filled with memes. Guessing I'm not playing until I watch Star Wars...in over a week...

Congrats to Team Naughty on their win!

I just played a round of Rainmaker where I got it to the goal and was in the "slam dunk" animation when I got splatted. We managed to hold them off but they got to 28 points from the goal before we managed to finally push back their comeback offensive push and that was way closer than I would have liked. I'm still shaking!

Maybe I should join up on a team but too stubborn to get on discord. Meh.
I was avoiding discord for the longest time until I realised I could just use it via website without having to download anything and most people on the smash one actually just use text chat rather than voice :3

phanphare

Banned
This by a lot.

Ah well lessons learned. Never supporting Marie
or backlot if he picks the wrong side of history
again. Sorry Callie!

maybe people are starting to intentionally pick what seems like the unpopular choice making it the popular choice lol

nom

First of all thank you to everyone that signed up and played, we had 23 players all together and no no-shows. I hope everyone had fun playing :D I'm also sorry it went a bit longer than expected!

Breaking down the results after the group stages...

We then had Turf War playoffs between 3rd and 4th place, the match would be first to 2 points where

- Loss = 0 points
- Win <60% = 1 point
- Win 60.1%+ = 2 point

Megatron and the Decepticons beat W+M1 twice is close games to reach 2 points.

This was followed by Team Woomy Zoomy vs Ketchup or Catsup in the same format, Ketchup or Catsup won the first game and just missed out on hitting 60.1%... then Team Woomy Zoomy came back and won twice to reach 2 points.

So winners of GAFHouse 3 are....

Team Woomy Zoomy :D

dmj3C0O.gif

2. Ketchup or Catsup
3. Megatron and the Decepticons
4. W+M1

KevinCow

Banned
I don't understand this game's matchmaking at all. I'm level 18. Why do I keep getting put in matches with nothing but levels 40+? How does that fucking make sense? It's not fair at all and I don't fucking stand a chance and it isn't fun at all to play like this.

L95

I don't understand this game's matchmaking at all. I'm level 18. Why do I keep getting put in matches with nothing but levels 40+? How does that fucking make sense? It's not fair at all and I don't fucking stand a chance and it isn't fun at all to play like this.

IIRC the game matches based on your performance, not level. If you're matching with 40s you're a good player (at least against other players of your level), I'd hazard a guess.

IIRC the game matches based on your performance, not level. If you're matching with 40s you're a good player (at least against other players of your level), I'd hazard a guess.

Yes. Levels in Splatoon are nearly meaningless. What the matchmaking cares about are things like the amount you tend to ink, the amount of kills you tend to get, the amount of deaths you tend to get, and so forth.

Ranks are for trying to differentiate skill levels into classes. All levels do is give you a rough idea of playtime and which gear someone might have access to.

Geg

Yeah level really only indicates how much time someone has spent playing Splatoon. I've played against some really bad level 50s, especially in splatfests

Yes. Levels in Splatoon are nearly meaningless. What the matchmaking cares about are things like the amount you tend to ink, the amount of kills you tend to get, the amount of deaths you tend to get, and so forth.

Ranks are for trying to differentiate skill levels into classes. All levels do is give you a rough idea of playtime and which gear someone might have access to.

Is this tied to what weapon and gear you choose? If I bought a new weapon and begin leveling up new gear will that be taken into account?

Is this tied to what weapon and gear you choose? If I bought a new weapon and begin leveling up new gear will that be taken into account?

Not as far as I know.

I don't know if it's known exactly how far into your history it calculates matchmaking on, either, but it's not super long. Seems like only the past few matches.

So it doesn't care about your weapon or gear, but if you change those and suddenly suck because of it, it will affect your matchmaking.

ss-hikaru

From my experience trying out a new weapon will often put you with lower ranks (until the game makes a decision on your skill level with that particular weapon) but new gear doesn't change anything :p

MFishy

Banned
I think it's the same as how ranked mode shows your position.

They look at your win ratio over the past ten matches. If you're doing badly you get easier rivals.

The goal is probably too get you at fifty percent win rate

L95

This is very random and I don't know why I'm bringing it up, but sometimes I mess with the TV settings so it's black and white then I play turf wars like that.

Nico_D

Thank you James for organizing an even improved GAF House Tournament! I had loads of fun and I think everybody in our team got to play plenty - I hope so.

As I said in the chat, I think this format was perfect. It forced to try new things in hope of those bonus points. One thing bothered me tho: in Port Mackerel the enemy team (Azure's, whose else?) resorted to use their own weapons (I guess in fear of us) while we scrubbed along with unknown and/or little used toys. AND when I decided it's time to punish Azure for sniping me and took up E-Liter, they went all seekers.

Anyway, thanks for going through the troubles of organizing this again. I hope you continue to do so in future.

If anything, I'd hope the tournament started a hour or two earlier since it's getting a bit late here in the East. But if that doesn't fit others, I'm ok with current time too.

And thanks to my brilliant team! Woomy!

And BOOO to Jeff for spoiling my heroic moment at Saltspray Rig!

nom

Thank you James for organizing an even improved GAF House Tournament! I had loads of fun and I think everybody in our team got to play plenty - I hope so.

I'm glad ^_^ Next one (if there is one) will probably be some time in January, so plenty of time to think of ideas - I'm open to suggestions!

Also speaking of tournaments InkStorm 3 was announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5AL9Z4COc

If you haven't heard about it, it's probably the most 'prestigious' tournament in Splatoon and biggest outside of Japan. Memories from Japan won both of the previous InkStorms, our GAF clan NSTC came 5th both times (forever 5th ;_;). This will be the end of this InkStorm series, with the overall top 8 performing teams going on to a special league. Current standing:

RQzR0gw.png

(as long as we don't muck up in InkStorm 3 we should make it)

Azure J

As I said in the chat, I think this format was perfect. It forced to try new things in hope of those bonus points. One thing bothered me tho: in Port Mackerel the enemy team (Azure's, whose else?) resorted to use their own weapons (I guess in fear of us) while we scrubbed along with unknown and/or little used toys. AND when I decided it's time to punish Azure for sniping me and took up E-Liter, they went all seekers.

Anyway, thanks for going through the troubles of organizing this again. I hope you continue to do so in future.

If anything, I'd hope the tournament started a hour or two earlier since it's getting a bit late here in the East. But if that doesn't fit others, I'm ok with current time too.

And thanks to my brilliant team! Woomy!

And BOOO to Jeff for spoiling my heroic moment at Saltspray Rig!

Erm, that wasn't my team, that was Robotguy's. :p

Furthermore, we were fearing the unknown and expecting you all to go hard from the jump hence our composition. The last match was us derping around trying to get some bonus points and a Flying Eagle™.

ChrisD

Winning your first game of the day in Overtime.

Feels good, man.

Edit for a second post. Dead thread today. :|

I just used the Inkbrush (Nouveau) for three hours straight... My middle finger really hurts right about now.

Made me wonder which finger you guys use as the trigger finger. Pointer, Middle, or by some ungodly power your Ring/Pinkie?

Top Bottom