• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

-Horizon-

It's footage is from Callie and Marie’s first live performance at Niconico Tokaigi, in case anyone is wondering what the hell they'll be clicking on, there.

[edit]
GrZMd2P.jpg

iMYlM8B.jpg

Saucy!

And here's their latest one I think. Nintendo's japanese youtube channel posted it.

Kito

I'm so late on this, but I've found out that rank scumming is possible. As someone that is frequently in S/S+, this explains why I don't enjoy S+ games, it explains my long-held perception that most S+ players are worse than S; the disparity in skill amongst the S+ cohort is ridiculous. For what should be the best of the best players, with really close games, it's just lopsided KOs every time. Once the scummers get to S+ they have rank immunity and do whatever they like.

ss-hikaru

I'm so late on this, but I've found out that rank scumming is possible. As someone that is frequently in S/S+, this explains why I don't enjoy S+ games, it explains my long-held perception that most S+ players are worse than S; the disparity in skill amongst the S+ cohort is ridiculous. For what should be the best of the best players, with really close games, it's just lopsided KOs every time. Once the scummers get to S+ they have rank immunity and do whatever they like.

But only if they stick to squads and avoid solo queue right? I suppose they could always just scum back to S+ if they lose it though....but if they are getting owned so badly what's the point, is it even fun playing anymore? :|

Geg

it explains my long-held perception that most S+ players are worse than S.

There's definitely a lot of skill level disparity in S+ but I really doubt this; I have seen some truly bad players in S rank. Like people who aren't even worthy of being above the B ranks.

Kito

But only if they stick to squads and avoid solo queue right? I suppose they could always just scum back to S+ if they lose it though....but if they are getting owned so badly what's the point, is it even fun playing anymore? :|

I'm only talking about solo in that post, S+ have immunity anyway in squads.

There's definitely a lot of skill level disparity in S+ but I really doubt this; I have seen some truly bad players in S rank. Like people who aren't even worthy of being above the B ranks.

There are definitely bad players in S, but there are ten times as many in S+. S feels like 3v4 whilst S+ feels like 1v4.

noshten

I honestly think there is a disparity in people who don't play in squads. Simply put playing in a squad where you communicate with your team mates makes Splatoon very different game.
Personally because of my game play style(breaks between matches) and the state I play Splatoon(usually I'm high) - I'm not the most suitable squad member.
But I think if I spend more time playing in a squad it would make me a better player overall. Since right now it's too much about reactionary gameplay - which could be improved if I played in squads more often.

Honestly Nintendo should partner with a company like Valve/Blizzard/Psyonix when making Spla2n - they can really improve the online aspects of the game in a way I think Nintendo just doesn't appreciate. Although I have felt out of all their games it's obvious the devs have actually taken a lot of feedback to heart with their patches. There is simply certain limitations on the Wii U from a HW standpoint which made certain features impossible or impractical

DaBoss

S+ skill disparity exists because some people stop playing solo once they hit S+ or S+99 so that lets the other S+ players become the best S+ players.

The ranking system encourages people to rank up rather than rank down, especially so as more players leave solo for good.

EDIT: Rank scumming probably accounts for such a small amount of players. I doubt many people continue playing solo if they reached a rank through scumming.

Kito

S+ skill disparity exists because some people stop playing solo once they hit S+ or S+99 so that lets the other S+ players become the best S+ players.

A shortage of 'good' S+ players due to inactivity may be the cause of the disparity.

However, in my experience, a significant number of S+ players play so poorly (it's unsurprising for me to see tentateks go 0-8 with no exaggeration on the zero kills) that it makes more sense that they have rank immunity to play that shitty.

The ranking system encourages people to rank up rather than rank down, especially so as more players leave solo for good.

How so? After 70 you gain less points for winning / lose more points for losing.

I doubt many people continue playing solo if they reached a rank through scumming.

What I'm talking about is staying in S+ through scumming, not reaching it through scumming. Take an S+30 who spends a night in solo. If they make a net gain of zero or more, they leave the rank alone, if they derank, they reset to S+30 with the old save file.

ChrisD

Sounds like it's all YMMV, as S+ feels like a whole new ballpark these days. I can't stay in it for the life of me, but I can usually get right back in since S tends to give pretty easy games*. I always feel like the horrible player of the group in S+; likely because I always am. Doesn't feel like skill is lacking all that much..

*In Splat Zones, I'm a C- Player in TC and A in RM

DangerMan

Banned
If anyone is down for some matches please send me a PM or add me on skype.

Here is my info:
Level: 36
Current Role/Weapon: N-Zap with echo-locator in everything except splat zones, in splat zones I use the 3-round burst with kraken
NNID: DangerMan

EXTRA: psn is brendan-carell

ss-hikaru

I'm only talking about solo in that post, S+ have immunity anyway in squads.

Ok, I understand what you mean now sorry. I still personally don't see the point in rank scumming if you're obviously not at that rank but there are probably some people who do it. Although maybe the skill disparities could be due to people who get to S+ by say, playing Tower Control only with Luna and then trying out the other modes/weapons when they get to S+ and sucking? ^^;

ChrisD

Has that Mahi Mahi back entrance always been there?

How have I never noticed it?

Yes.

And it took me 300 hours or something like that to realize Saltspray Rig's pipes (beside the moving platform) could be inked and climbed. That stage was in the game back in the Testfire, so it REALLY had me questioning myself. "How do you never notice that?!"

Regiruler

Yes.

And it took me 300 hours or something like that to realize Saltspray Rig's pipes (beside the moving platform) could be inked and climbed. That stage was in the game back in the Testfire, so it REALLY had me questioning myself. "How do you never notice that?!"

I found that out back in the testfire, lol.

Thanks all, and yeah this whole thing taught me to hate solos. Mess. Sticking to squads/privates from now on

Oh hey you're on Got Kraken?

Yep sure am!

Edit: Technically you were still correct lol. We have two teams, Get and Got Kraken.

I didn't know there was a GAF Discord channel :eek: I'll pop in and say hello sometime

Geg

QK3eJqY.jpg

I'm free.

Though in the end I had to abandon the CDS for the easier weapon. The last match was fucking crazy though, me, a Bamboozler Mk. III, and two custom e-liters vs a triple quick resapwn Splash-o-matic, heavy splatling deco, custom hydra, and another custom e-liter. I ended up winning by being the one to kill the enemy player on the tower and get back on in overtime, so I'd say I earned it and totally wasn't carried.

J@hranimo

Banned
It is Worldwide

First, there was Splatoon in Miitomo! Well now, there’s Miitomo in Splatoon!

Our next Splatfest theme is brought to you by Miitomo! Would you rather go to fancy party or a costume party? Head to Inkopolis Plaza and cast your vote for the next Splatfest!

…and since it’s a party, this Splatfest will be held simultaneously in all regions! For the first time ever, players in all regions will be matched up to play in Splatfast – and the results will be global.

The party starts 5/13 at 8 PM PT and ends at 3 AM PT on 5/15. When it’s time to party we will party hard!

Tumblr post

ChrisD

QK3eJqY.jpg

I'm free.

Though in the end I had to abandon the CDS for the easier weapon. The last match was fucking crazy though, me, a Bamboozler Mk. III, and two custom e-liters vs a triple quick resapwn Splash-o-matic, heavy splatling deco, custom hydra, and another custom e-liter. I ended up winning by being the one to kill the enemy player on the tower and get back on in overtime, so I'd say I earned it and totally wasn't carried.

Awesome! :D
I'm sure you used enough DS/CDS in your path there to say you got to S+ with it. :p

Miitomo Splatfest?

Was this announced before just now?

Was just about to ask that. Got stuck in a lobby (7/8 players, bleh), and when I got out "First some special news!

That's uh... That's a Theme alright...

ChrisD

Touching on a subject from yesterday real quickly, seeing an 0/6 Dynamo and 1/7 Tentatek, 0/7 Mink, and 2/8 Custom E-Liter in the span of two games... maybe rotations are front-loaded with the "bad" players and if you want the good ones you need to wait 'till the rotation has gone through a bit?

Because just before the switch everyone was holding their own...

Takes time for everyone to figure out the mode, get in the groove? Maybe?

Idk. I just need some sort of reason in my mind before I tilt. :L

E: My theory is very quickly feeling true, holy jeez these are some bad players...

Super late Edit because it's still part of this post/theory: Games are now much closer, two hours later. Placebo, maybe. But it really does feel like everyone is playing better than when the rotation first came in.

ChrisD

If it sounds fun again, you should definitely hop back in! Watching the game is fun, but I still hold to the opinion that Splatoon's much funner to play than spectate.
Unlike MOBAs /off-topic

Haven't visited in a long while, but I believe Discord SplatGAF is still highly active. So if you ever feel like playing with other GAF members, give that a check. (Kito linked to it just some posts back; on Mobile, sorry for not being able to just link it here)

ChrisD

After much rage and ultra tilt (and de-ranking for like, the ninth time), I got onto a steady mindset and fell into a flow. I don't think I've ever been so calm playing on Moray Towers, much less Moray Rainmaker.

In my last game for the night, we were on Mall. The teams were "tied" with them having 46 distance to go, and us 47 due to them killing the carrier just as he hit the 46 mark. I had my Bubbler charged, so I was contesting the RM bubble. But then it occurred to me... No, let them pop it. So I revved up my shots and waited for the bubble to just about pop. I then used my Bubbler, let out the salvo, and stole the RM to gain us that extra little distance to break the tie.

In the last minute, they made a full, all-fronts push on my team. I was in the side-alley way at the time, so I avoided the fate that the rest met with. Noticing that I was now alone, I swam backwards in the alley; listening to the Inkzooka shots being fired down middle. I got on the corner and waited for the right moment to jump and (for once!) aim all my shots perfectly. I took the enemy out just one point before they beat our score. By this point my two Snipers had respawned and they popped the RM Bubble for the wipe.

It was such a satisfying win. Hard to believe it's the same sitting that had me so angry just two hours prior.

After much rage and ultra tilt (and de-ranking for like, the ninth time), I got onto a steady mindset and fell into a flow. I don't think I've ever been so calm playing on Moray Towers, much less Moray Rainmaker.

In my last game for the night, we were on Mall. The teams were "tied" with them having 46 distance to go, and us 47 due to them killing the carrier just as he hit the 46 mark. I had my Bubbler charged, so I was contesting the RM bubble. But then it occurred to me... No, let them pop it. So I revved up my shots and waited for the bubble to just about pop. I then used my Bubbler, let out the salvo, and stole the RM to gain us that extra little distance to break the tie.

In the last minute, they made a full, all-fronts push on my team. I was in the side-alley way at the time, so I avoided the fate that the rest met with. Noticing that I was now alone, I swam backwards in the alley; listening to the Inkzooka shots being fired down middle. I got on the corner and waited for the right moment to jump and (for once!) aim all my shots perfectly. I took the enemy out just one point before they beat our score. By this point my two Snipers had respawned and they popped the RM Bubble for the wipe.

It was such a satisfying win. Hard to believe it's the same sitting that had me so angry just two hours prior.
That's quite a story! Nice job on your new-found zen :D

Geg

Yeah the language differences are weird. I guess the EU version is using the word fancy to mean like fanciful/whimsical?

Top Bottom