• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Kito

Registrations for the GAFHouse V tournament are still open! Quote for signup link.

yLKCTXv.png

When: Saturday 28th May @ 5PM ET
Theme: Splatoon Anniversary
Format: Round robin [Bo5] then grand final [Bo7]

Round robin restrictions: No TC, RM or DLC maps/weapons.
Grand final restrictions: None.

EDIT: Team avatars
PlEUnMo.gif
C96A2TU.gif
vmVJKxb.gif
gB7oJ5i.gif

Ansatz

I reached S+ three times in the span of 32 hours, which means I deranked three times as well lol. I don't see myself getting back to Splatoon unless they increase the time it takes for a player to respawn.

I had games where I'm 19-3, 18-5, 17-6 and so on and they barely result in a win, lolwut?

Azure J

I need to get back to playing with you guys. I hopped into Nighty's lobby (which turned into half full GAF haha) the other night, and Diego was in one the day after that. But it's been months since playing with a whole SplatGAF group.

When do you guys play, typically? It used to be pretty consistent, but when I go to check at those times now, nobody on my list is playing.

Aidan pretty much nailed it with the times already, though with summer approaching, I imagine it'll be easier to get games with everyone at earlier/later times.

ChrisD

In my experience SplatGAF is most active between 6pm-11pm EST, in either squads, turf war, or whatever. Sometimes the festivities kick in a little earlier or extend a little later. Some days it also just happens to be pretty dead :) But that's more an exception.

Aidan pretty much nailed it with the times already, though with summer approaching, I imagine it'll be easier to get games with everyone at earlier/later times.

Cool, thanks! Will have to give SplatNet (Discord App stopped working with me) a check more often in that timeframe.

Someone is going to give themselves 9999 Splatfest Power. Calling it.

This will suck all fun out of the new Ranking system.. But you're likely on the money. :(

Kelp Dome Splat Zones, enemy team consisting of Bubble Bucket, Plain ol' Bucket, Soda Bucket, and 96Bucket.
You haven't seen a wall of ink until you've seen four buckets slosh at you in near perfect sync while you try to walk the grates.

Poor inkling didn't stand a chance.

Edit: Mandatory "Why are you not using Beakons, Custom E-Liter" post for the week.

It's Saltspray, come on man. Throw us a bone! And by bone I mean Beakon. And throw I mean place. Because you have them. In your kit. That you switched to and know about, you Tenacity wearing sucker.

Robotguy

Cool, thanks! Will have to give SplatNet (Discord App stopped working with me) a check more often in that timeframe.

This will suck all fun out of the new Ranking system.. But you're likely on the money. :(

Kelp Dome Splat Zones, enemy team consisting of Bubble Bucket, Plain ol' Bucket, Soda Bucket, and 96Bucket.
You haven't seen a wall of ink until you've seen four buckets slosh at you in near perfect sync while you try to walk the grates.

Poor inkling didn't stand a chance.

Edit: Mandatory "Why are you not using Beakons, Custom E-Liter" post for the week.

It's Saltspray, come on man. Throw us a bone! And by bone I mean Beakon. And throw I mean place. Because you have them. In your kit. That you switched to and know about, you Tenacity wearing sucker.
Beakons are so good on Custom Eliter too. :(

ChrisD

We just won this match where a Custom Jr on our side went 4/5, but they were probably more like 20/5, because they had godlike aim and had everyone Disruptor'd all the time. We just swept up for them the whole game.

Looked like they had one Bomb Range Up and at least a Sub Saver Main. They tried to avoid ever fighting, just hung out, flung Disruptors, and sent the occasional Echolocator. Wouldn't work in every team, but it sure helped us mobile weapons!

Jeeves

Quick question, as one who has mostly avoided ranked mode and is trying it out today: Do they let premade teams play against randoms? Some of these teams I get pitted against seem awfully coordinated.

ChrisD

Quick question, as one who has mostly avoided ranked mode and is trying it out today: Do they let premade teams play against randoms? Some of these teams I get pitted against seem awfully coordinated.

Regiruler is correct.

It may be that they have been in the same lobby and rematched repeatedly. That would lead to more coordination.

As a continuation of what I said yesterday, I think 90% of Custom E-Liter users need the weapon removed from their hands permanently. Give them back their friggin' "unnerfed" Burst Bombs so they switch back, I just want a sniper on my team that utilizes their kit.
I don't want that first bit to happen

Edit: Hammerhead Bridge, Kraken Control: My team, Splatterscope, Mink, Neo Sploosh, CUSTOM E-LITER.

Five minute game goes into Overtime for them, and it went for a long while. In the end my team is dead, I'm the only one left but I had Bubbler and was lying in wait for them to turn the corner. I've never had a stronger urge to just throw a game: Not a single Beakon throughout the entire game. Hammerhead Bridge, and not ONE Beakon. The guy was even moving from different sniping spots. And he was freaking swimming to them, or even running on-foot.

It's ridiculous. This is worse than the ZackScott crowd you see too often in Turf Wars. This is S+, and these fools don't understand something so basic as placing a Beakon.

WVW69jMlkNMxmhi4Y4

Now I can finally quit.

Thank you all for believing in me. The final stretch (from S 81) was pretty easy and I won all 6 games I needed. Thank you all for also teaching me how to play the game better and manage turf control and pushing the objective and helping me get over my fear of ranked games.

ffdgh

WVW69jMlkNMxmhi4Y4

Now I can finally quit.

Thank you all for believing in me. The final stretch (from S 81) was pretty easy and I won all 6 games I needed. Thank you all for also teaching me how to play the game better and manage turf control and pushing the objective and helping me get over my fear of ranked games.

Well shoot i'm not the only 52 gal anymore lol.

Congratz!

abd

WVW69jMlkNMxmhi4Y4

Now I can finally quit.

Congratulations

ChrisD

WVW69jMlkNMxmhi4Y4

Now I can finally quit.

Grats! :D

We just made a sweet 50 point comeback win on Museum Zones. I mean it would have been a comeback if an enemy Roller didn't just walk right up and mow us all down. No flicks. He just walked up to me, killed me, kept going and killed another guy; then we're both pinging to signal the third but he got mowed down since he couldn't swing his aim fast enough. Final guy super-jumped in and (I presume) got rolled over.

The score was like 17 to their 14. We needed one more second. But I couldn't be mad, since this one Roller, their first Respawn off of the wipe we made on them just comes and goes, "A stroll sounds good right now- WIPEOUT"

What a way to lose. I didn't even mind, I was too busy laughing at the absurdity hahah.

WVW69jMlkNMxmhi4Y4

Now I can finally quit.

Congrats!

I still can't survive in S rank with my .52Gal. ;_;
I've been to S rank so many times, but never stay more than 20 matches.

Players familiar with the game can sort of "sync". That is, because they understand the game they know what needs to be done and do what their teammates aren't doing instead of having everyone squidkid around the tower instead of getting on it.

ChrisD

Congrats!

I still can't survive in S rank with my .52Gal. ;_;
I've been to S rank so many times, but never stay more than 20 matches.

If you really want some practice, I hear playing with SplatGAF through Discord can pull a Mulan.

They'll make a Squid Man Out of You

I haven't played this game for like a month now... (little time plus got sidetracked by other games) Anything new that could make me go back? New maps or whatever on the horizon or anything?

Kito

Now I can finally quit.

Congrats.
I haven't played this game for like a month now... (little time plus got sidetracked by other games) Anything new that could make me go back? New maps or whatever on the horizon or anything?

Sheldon's Picks Volume 2 should be coming soon. A new splat roller is confirmed and is rumoured to have bubble.

I'm also not that active anymore. I'm just learning burst bombs snipers in turf war nowadays.

Sagitario

27Cq2YX.png

Is my connection/ping that bad?
Lately I have had so many lag issues that I'm about to quit the game.
- I'm constantly getting killed in one hit
- When I shoot someone, he/she takes way too many hits
- I explode behind walls and out of nowhere [the enemy that supposedly hit me wasn't anywhere near]
- Yesterday, I exploded just before landing in the base after making a super jump

Is there any way to do a ping or response time test to whatever servers/IP Splatoon (or Nintendo) uses?
Cause I have called my ISP, and outside some DNS things they already fixed, everything is fine at their end.

27Cq2YX.png

- I explode behind walls and out of nowhere [the enemy that supposedly hit me wasn't anywhere near]
- Yesterday, I exploded just before landing in the base after making a super jump

Is there any way to do a ping or response time test to whatever servers/IP Splatoon (or Nintendo) uses?
Cause I have called my ISP, and outside some DNS things they already fixed, everything is fine at their end.

Could be them having severe latency issues from their ISP, and they reap the rewards.

rulerk1

Started the game yesterday at S 65 and ended the night at A 60 and today made it to S 30. I keep forgetting not to play during the day. Especially during Rainmaker.

ChrisD

Started the game yesterday at S 65 and ended the night at A 60 and today made it to S 30. I keep forgetting not to play during the day. Especially during Rainmaker.

Glad to hear you got it back.

But yeeeaaaah, playing on tilt is a bad thing. If you've lost, say, three/four games in a row it's pretty much always best to just quit for the day/night. There are the games that you just can't win, be it an 0/12 partner or simply unfair team compositions. But three in a row is telling that it's partially on you, and four says that you're probably playing in a poor mindset. The rank see-saw only makes things worse for that.

You can always gain all that lost rank back later, don't try to recover off of loss streaks in the same day that you go on them.

Came across this funny video just now. As someone who made (and dumped, lol) an alt account months ago to try and learn some new weapons, this is VERY MUCH akin to my C rank experience.

"My C Rank Experience"

rulerk1

Glad to hear you got it back.

But yeeeaaaah, playing on tilt is a bad thing. If you've lost, say, three/four games in a row it's pretty much always best to just quit for the day/night. There are the games that you just can't win, be it an 0/12 partner or simply unfair team compositions. But three in a row is telling that it's partially on you, and four says that you're probably playing in a poor mindset. The rank see-saw only makes things worse for that.

You can always gain all that lost rank back later, don't try to recover off of loss streaks in the same day that you go on them.

Came across this funny video just now. As someone who made (and dumped, lol) an alt account months ago to try and learn some new weapons, this is VERY MUCH akin to my C rank experience.

"My C Rank Experience"

Yeah I should have stopped when I reached S 50. i was in the zone mostly, getting crazy K/D ratios with the Luna. I did have a lot of horrible teammates through out it. We faced alot of bad players tho so its all good.

ChrisD

Pry the Gamepad out of the hands of every solo queue Custom E-Liter, hand it to a baby.

They'll figure out the Beakon thing faster.

Edit: I'm serious, they're the worst S+ players. Because they all do it, every one of them. I've played way more than I'd like to admit today; six hours. I saw over four dozen Custom E-Liters. I saw two - TWO - that placed Beakons. One was on my team, one was the enemy. At one point there were three of them in one game, and not a single one of them utilized their kit.

Worst.
Players.
Possible.

On a less salty, angry note: My Mink is maxed! It was at like 350k just three weeks ago, but I've played super support-y with it in Splat Zones. I get at least 4k points in a full SZ.

SECOND EDIT: GUYS I'M FREAKING OUT. I DIED TO A SHORT RANGED BLASTER. IT SHOWED THE DEATH RECAP SCREEN.

IT WAS A LUNA BLASTER
NOT LUNA NEO, JUST LUNA

I legitimately haven't seen a plain Luna in over a hundred hours of gameplay! Not in Turf War, not in Ranked! I saw a unicorn!

Going to jump on this once my actual internet gets turned back on. Students bug me about Splatoon every week, time to see what the hype has been all about.

Azure J

Pry the Gamepad out of the hands of every solo queue Custom E-Liter, hand it to a baby.

They'll figure out the Beakon thing faster.

Edit: I'm serious, they're the worst S+ players. Because they all do it, every one of them. I've played way more than I'd like to admit today; six hours. I saw over four dozen Custom E-Liters. I saw two - TWO - that placed Beakons. One was on my team, one was the enemy. At one point there were three of them in one game, and not a single one of them utilized their kit.

Worst.
Players.
Possible.

On a less salty, angry note: My Mink is maxed! It was at like 350k just three weeks ago, but I've played super support-y with it in Splat Zones. I get at least 4k points in a full SZ.

SECOND EDIT: GUYS I'M FREAKING OUT. I DIED TO A SHORT RANGED BLASTER. IT SHOWED THE DEATH RECAP SCREEN.

IT WAS A LUNA BLASTER
NOT LUNA NEO, JUST LUNA

I legitimately haven't seen a plain Luna in over a hundred hours of gameplay! Not in Turf War, not in Ranked! I saw a unicorn!

Just wanted to chime in on the Custom E-Liter stuff: It's pretty funny because it's a bit of a trap that even I fall into at times (I blame not really playing beakon weapons for most of Splatoon's life + always wanting to put beakons in really weird/safe places). That said, the times when you do fight a good Custom E-Liter?

Airplane_sweating_pilot.gif

Also, this doesn't take into account the times people use your beakons before you can reposition yourself. The actual best thing to happen right there.

I've recently started playing ranked mode. I haven't been playing for a long time because I was burnt out on Turf War. So far all I've done is Rainmaker, and good lord this is a blast. I'm using my .96 gal and picking off fools who go straight for the rainmaker and ignore everything else. Winning with a team of 3 is immensely satisfying. I'ts not uncommon for me to get 10 or 20 kills in a match. My next win will bump me to B-. I'm sure my .96 gal will not suffice at higher levels and the sprinkler isn't too useful for Rainmaker. I should've been playing ranked a long time ago!

I've recently started playing ranked mode. I haven't been playing for a long time because I was burnt out on Turf War. So far all I've done is Rainmaker, and good lord this is a blast. I'm using my .96 gal and picking off fools who go straight for the rainmaker and ignore everything else. Winning with a team of 3 is immensely satisfying. I'ts not uncommon for me to get 10 or 20 kills in a match. My next win will bump me to B-. I'm sure my .96 gal will not suffice at higher levels and the sprinkler isn't too useful for Rainmaker. I should've been playing ranked a long time ago!

Use .96 Gal deco, it's one of the best weapons

Geg

Corocoro scans are out of the new roller, turns out it's a collaboration between them and Splatoon called the Splat Roller Corocoro. Plus two new pieces of gear, a parka with cold blooded and a backwards cap which I think has damage up.

It has splash wall (on a roller? why) and inkzooka.

ffdgh

Corocoro scans are out of the new roller, turns out it's a collaboration between them and Splatoon called the Splat Roller Corocoro. Plus two new pieces of gear, a parka with cold blooded and a backwards cap which I think has damage up.

Splashwall on a roller...I never considered this possibility.

You splash wall in situations where you're otherwise fucked (e.g. other splash walls) and run away.

It does what I wanted the bubbler for without taking up the super slot.

Sagitario

Has that Mahi Mahi back entrance always been there?
How have I never noticed it?
Yes.

And it took me 300 hours or something like that to realize Saltspray Rig's pipes (beside the moving platform) could be inked and climbed. That stage was in the game back in the Testfire, so it REALLY had me questioning myself. "How do you never notice that?!"
What back entrance?
I only noticed the Rig's pipes last week after getting splatted and watching the squid who hit me climbing on them :p

Could be them having severe latency issues from their ISP, and they reap the rewards.

I decided to take a [small] break from the game, latency is horrible and no matter the time of the day, I'm always playing against Japanese players.

Use .96 Gal deco, it's one of the best weapons

I have one of those. What makes it so great compared to the regular .96? I'll admit I haven't fully figured out how to utilize the splash wall.

I also have all the Squelcher weapons because I like long-range guns, but I prefer the killing power of the .96 Gal. Are any Squelchers useful for anything?

I have one of those. What makes it so great compared to the regular .96? I'll admit I haven't fully figured out how to utilize the splash wall.
Use it in areas narrow enough that your opponent will have a tough time breaking past and then just annihilate them with your consistent kill speed.

Also the Kraken can be very silly so there's that too.

I've been wanting a wall roller for a long time. Very excited to use this thing.
Me too. I originally wanted a Bubbler, but I've thought about it and this is probably a much better set than what I wanted. I'm sure it seems ridiculous to most people who aren't Splat Roller mains, though. >_>

Regiruler

do want

It's basically the cage roller. Instead of blocking fire, you're using it to stop retreat. Sounds greatly amusing against noobs.

ChrisD

Just wanted to chime in on the Custom E-Liter stuff: It's pretty funny because it's a bit of a trap that even I fall into at times (I blame not really playing beakon weapons for most of Splatoon's life + always wanting to put beakons in really weird/safe places). That said, the times when you do fight a good Custom E-Liter?

Airplane_sweating_pilot.gif

Also, this doesn't take into account the times people use your beakons before you can reposition yourself. The actual best thing to happen right there.

It'd be one thing if it was like you say: a trap that players occasionally fall into. I have games where I actually forget to throw Disruptors. But that's not the norm, the Beakon hate in Pubs is for some reason. :(

I don't actually know what a good CE-Liter can do with Beakons. Hopefully I never have to see it against me, as it sounds like an absolute nightmare. Just thinking of them placing two (one on each their sniper platforms) + an all-purpose team one to keep a consistent pressure. You'd never know where to look out for, and they could easily hop back and forth between plats..

*shudder*

Why do they keep hurting my wallet?

These are really cool! Will pick them up later if they're cheap enough. I'm a big Splatoon fan, but have never been big on the games that you can play with playing cards.

Though they could probably be framed to avoid that issue of just buying to do so. Hrmm.

Sounds ridiculously good for Tower Control and Rainmaker, yikes. That's a new set, too. Will be a pain in the rear on any stage with corridors since they can throw a Wall, pull 'Zooka, and fire from surefire safety (the most safety on any kit thus far anyways). And since Specials recharge your tank, they'll also have a guaranteed (second) Wall to throw out.

WHY NEW GEAR THOUGH. I'm glad, but that means my filled 3-Slot collection will be rendered incomplete. D:

What back entrance?
I only noticed the Rig's pipes last week after getting splatted and watching the squid who hit me climbing on them :p

After the water has lowered, if you go down your spawn platform you can take a left and walk some grates that will take you where most people just hop down to. It's not the most useful path, but if you're being hard-camped and you have a good flank weapon the option is one to make use of!

27Cq2YX.png

I've been having similar issues. i can't even play it anymore because it is lagging so bad and getting constant disconnects. My internet otherwise seems to be running just fine. Is anyone else having for the past few days?

Top Bottom