• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

RedFyn

So like perks in Call of Duty?
Yeah. Just make it so you pick 57 points of abilities and restrict what can be picked. You could even tie it to clothing so you pick what you want on each piece and that would allow you to quickly change gear and abilities. There are plenty of ways to improve the system and help with balancing abilities.

CO_Andy

It'll be interesting to see if Splatoon 1.5 will take advantage of IR aiming in online multi. It was already built into the original game but i assumed couldn't be used due to the extra screen requirement.

ryechu

So how do we feel about a Splatoon without motion controls?

I dont think they would go there. I assume that the splatoon devs ALL use motion controls. This is the only explanation, in my mind, why the dual sticks control was left so bad when compared to other console shooters. Splatoon is potentially a huge franchise for nintendo, and the Splatoon devs would realize how alienating the lack of motion controls would be and would advocate for its inclusion. Gyro is also cheap as balls.

Speaking of which, they need to force some segment of their team to use and to polish stick controls. I imagine stick controls will be more popular in the sequel due to portable play. Gyro= moving the screen = disorientating.

I haven't actually played Majora's Mask 3D myself, but I hear folks say that the gyro controls worked really well for that game, even when one had to be moving the 3DS unit around for aiming the bow/slingshot. Hopefully that ease of use translates over.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm still kind of disappointed I really won't be able to participate in the NA Splatoon Tournament series due to life things =/

I'd love to play Carbon Deco in the tournament lol.

phanphare

Banned
so I finally tried bomb range up for my splattershot build. I can't believe I waited this long to try that out, having more range with burst bombs feels pretty crucial and now bomb rush is crazy.

I haven't actually played Majora's Mask 3D myself, but I hear folks say that the gyro controls worked really well for that game, even when one had to be moving the 3DS unit around for aiming the bow/slingshot. Hopefully that ease of use translates over.

yeah the gyro controls in the zelda 3DS games work fine. the hindrance there was on the OG models it would break the 3D but with the New models it works fine.

It makes the Shooting Range mini-games a complete joke.

Hey guys, It's been months since playing this. The latest map was apartment blocks when I last played.

I feel like i've forgotten everything about the game , so a few questions before I jump back in.

1: Is the game still healthy population wise? Or should I expect long que times?
2: Am I going to get my ass kicked everytime till I relearn the ropes?
3:How many new maps have been added?

phanphare

Banned
Hey guys, It's been months since playing this. The latest map was apartment blocks when I last played.

I feel like i've forgotten everything about the game , so a few questions before I jump back in.

1: Is the game still healthy population wise? Or should I expect long que times?

still heavily populated, yes

you may or may not get your ass kicked

5 new maps: hammerhead bridge, museum d'alfonsino, mahi mahi resort, piranha pit, and ancho-v games

-shadow-

1: Yes there's a very healty community still. At most I wait something like 30 seconds.
2: Possibly yes, there's been a ton of new weapns added and you might need to get the idea of what the opponent is using.
3: Like phanphare, five new maps are added to the rotation. Still only two stages at a time however.

Regiruler

Is anyone actually planning on participating in the showdown series? It's the first American tournament backed by nintendo to my knowledge.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Is anyone actually planning on participating in the showdown series? It's the first American tournament backed by nintendo to my knowledge.

Can't participate due to living outside of North America; also can't play in the EU ESL series due to not living in Europe or South Africa. With Japan having their own series as well, I feel Oceania is being deliberately left out or something. :p

so I finally tried bomb range up for my splattershot build. I can't believe I waited this long to try that out, having more range with burst bombs feels pretty crucial and now bomb rush is crazy.

Bomb Range Up might be one of the more overlooked abilities in the game for unique utility (the honour for most overlooked is likely Quick Super Jump). I like to use at least a main on the Zini Mini disruptors; it actually works out really well for pressure. I've also seen it used on Burst Bombs to great effect as well; coupled with some Damage Up, and it feels like a great zoning tool.

Doorman

Bomb Range Up might be one of the more overlooked abilities in the game for unique utility (the honour for most overlooked is likely Quick Super Jump). I like to use at least a main on the Zini Mini disruptors; it actually works out really well for pressure. I've also seen it used on Burst Bombs to great effect as well; coupled with some Damage Up, and it feels like a great zoning tool.

Bomb range up on Disruptors is a ton of fun, and having at least a little bit of it on I'd consider borderline-necessary for most disruptor-weapons, the Zini perhaps being the only one that doesn't need it quite as much. Being able to slow people down at or just outside of your own weapon's main range comes in really handy for controlling the pace of encounters, and it helps in getting them over walls or around corners so you can arc them onto enemies when they're a bit more unawares.
The main reason I'd consider it less necessary on the Zini is because it's one of the few base weapons with disruptor that can already claim its own forward turf quickly and it has the shot-speed to keep the upper-hand in frantic encounters anyway. The Custom Jr can claim turf quickly too but its attack-range is so low that it needs bomb range just to keep more dangerous weapons away from it.

ss-hikaru

Bomb range up on Disruptors is a ton of fun, and having at least a little bit of it on I'd consider borderline-necessary for most disruptor-weapons, the Zini perhaps being the only one that doesn't need it quite as much. Being able to slow people down at or just outside of your own weapon's main range comes in really handy for controlling the pace of encounters, and it helps in getting them over walls or around corners so you can arc them onto enemies when they're a bit more unawares.
The main reason I'd consider it less necessary on the Zini is because it's one of the few base weapons with disruptor that can already claim its own forward turf quickly and it has the shot-speed to keep the upper-hand in frantic encounters anyway. The Custom Jr can claim turf quickly too but its attack-range is so low that it needs bomb range just to keep more dangerous weapons away from it.

Yeah I like to use approximately two mains on my disruptor weapons :D Too bad a lot of the time some weird lag black hole sucks up my disruptors rendering them useless, even a direct to the face often has no effect ;A;

Platy

Lately I have been playing with homebrew in the controll sense and played some singleplayer Splatoon levels with a Keyboard and Mouse.

And after playing some singleplayer levels I .... had to come to ask.

What is the general consensus about playing online with that ? Because going online feelt WRONG

Doorman

Yeah I like to use approximately two mains on my disruptor weapons :D Too bad a lot of the time some weird lag black hole sucks up my disruptors rendering them useless, even a direct to the face often has no effect ;A;

I feel this a lot too, people not necessarily getting the effect when it really seems like it should. Coupled with getting killed by krakens or inkzooka shots that are five feet away from me, it definitely feels weird to deal with at times but the boon of disrupting is so worth it.

Lately I have been playing with homebrew in the controll sense and played some singleplayer Splatoon levels with a Keyboard and Mouse.

What is the general consensus about playing online with that ? Because going online feelt WRONG

Never tried it myself, but just as a word of warning I'd be careful about going online with that sort of setup. A few people recently have been banned from the game for various other hacks and exploits. I don't know if something like your control option would be noted or acted on.

Pokemaniac

Using mods online is something I'd generally consider poor form with pretty much any game.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Keyboard/Mouse controls online would probably fall under the realm of "unfair advantage", and be frowned upon. Custom music hacks are viewed under a similar lens, particularly due to a) everyone having the same music track playing during a given game, and b) having the possibility to remove the music entirely. Certain weapons are insanely easy to hear when the music is completely disabled (such as rollers or splatlings). Similarly KB&M isn't available to anyone within the game without such exploits.

Then again, voice comms via 3rd party tools (i.e. Discord) in squads aren't within the realm of the game and thus a potential "unfair advantage" to teams that don't use it, so... /shrug

I feel this a lot too, people not necessarily getting the effect when it really seems like it should. Coupled with getting killed by krakens or inkzooka shots that are five feet away from me, it definitely feels weird to deal with at times but the boon of disrupting is so worth it.

The best disruptors are when you hurl them at someone, they swim away, and then about two seconds later, SUDDENLY the disruptor effect applies. : (

I'm a huge fan of Bomb Range Up. Just ask anyone here that has played against me when I use bombs. =D

That said, some weapons feel better than others for Bomb Range Up. I feel awkward using my normal 2 mains of bomb range on a Wasabi, probably because of the way the weapon is used. One main seems to be a good compromise if I want range. Same goes for Disruptors. It all depends on the weapon.

Regiruler

Any interest in a GAF team for the showdown this weekend?

Or if there's no interest in the turf war tourney we don't have to participate in that one.

Top Bottom