• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

If you've been gone for a long time the biggest factor is probably the playerbase improving if you're aware of the much larger win bonus.

The Turf War meta used to be to just mindlessly ink everything you can with an aerospray, which resulted in a lot of players going in circles and just inking over each other's shit for really high scores.

Now the players that matchmaking will usually pair you with tend to be much more likely to actually take Judd's advice and try to control choke points to maintain their captured turf. This makes it harder to ink more shit than it used to be.

-shadow-

it all adds up to you likely painting less turf overall and getting less points.

Alright so it's not just me that the game felt heavily nerfed for some reason, thanks. Not really a fan of the new balancing, it feels really off and I really hope they don't go forward with the current settings for the sequel. I thought they had really done a great job last time I played it. But we'll see I guess.

...and the ink efficiency of the ink saver and ink recovery skills have been nerfed over time
Those were all buffed, not nerfed. Both ink recovery and ink saver sub in particular were pretty noticeably buffed.

And the only sub weapon that had its ink consumption increased is the Burst Bomb, but it paints a lot more area now in exchange. The Splash Wall does have a big-ass ink recovery delay now though. As for main weapons, almost all of the nerfs, outside of the poor Dynamo's bigass ink recovery delay, were to make certain things not kill other things way too easily and had no real impact on inking.

TBH unless he plays the Dynamo I doubt that the balance patches are a significant factor.

Kodaman

New Update 2.12.0

Patch notes:

-Multiplayer Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue which mistakenly allowed Sprinklers to be placed inside the Tower in Tower Control.

-Stage Adjustments

Kelp Dome: Fixed an issue in all game modes that allowed players to move inside the raised starting platforms.

ChrisD

Can't blame them, nobody ever changed from those ugly shorts, anyways. Don't want to waste the resources keeping it up-to-date.

I left the SplatGAF server to make it easier for me to focus on some other things. I'll be back once I have some things sorted out (and have also hung out a bunch with my Mario Kart buds again).

I'll still pop on sometimes for Turf Wars though and all salt may be directed to my Discord PMs. Splatting Azure never gets old.
He splats me more, it makes me real sad TBH.

TBH most of it is just filling out a few forms, sending an email, and finishing my Pokemon game collection before S&M comes out.

But the first two are really important so I do need to take care of those so I can finish my college degree next year.

Swim fast, get S+. Have been within one win quite a few times but didn't think I would do it really. Needed four in a row starting up on this rotation today and three were on Flounder Heights, just had the right teams this time.

lHuBzm1.jpg

RAclDQT.jpg

ChrisD

It's funny, I forget Tri-squadding is even a thing. Those aren't fun even if you're just playing joke kits with friends... As me and some folk I know found out the hard way. :/

abd

I was playing on Bluefin Depot tonight, with the mode being Rainmaker. At one point, a teammate and I were on the right cross when a disruptor landed from overhead, and inflicted both of us. Instinctively we both moved closer to the cross, and tried use it as cover. Now, I didn't want us to bunch up and be in danger of a double splat, so I started to move backwards. Well all of a sudden to me, the disruption ran out and I over the edge.

What's Splatoon like nowadays?
I've not played in a while (I think it would have been late last August maybe, so I guess a while is an understatement), and the last time I played a felt people were going a bit too mind/max try-hard with loadouts and clothing abilities, and as someone who played a lot of Metal Gear Online 2 with it's Assault Rifle 2/Runner 2 with an M4 meta, where like 95℅ of players would just use that, the lack of variety I was facing sort of pushed me away from the game.

Is their more variety in the playerbase now, or will I need to use certain weapons and get like 3 runner abilities etc. on my clothing?

noshten

What's Splatoon like nowadays?
I've not played in a while (I think it would have been late last August maybe, so I guess a while is an understatement), and the last time I played a felt people were going a bit too mind/max try-hard with loadouts and clothing abilities, and as someone who played a lot of Metal Gear Online 2 with it's Assault Rifle 2/Runner 2 with an M4 meta, where like 95℅ of players would just use that, the lack of variety I was facing sort of pushed me away from the game.

Is their more variety in the playerbase now, or will I need to use certain weapons and get like 3 runner abilities etc. on my clothing?

I feel there is great variety at the moment, the only weapon types which don't appear as often in my view are sloshers and inkbrushes. I mainly play S Ranked matches so I've no idea what it's like in TW.

I just can't watch Turf War... why Japan?

I feel there is great variety at the moment, the only weapon types which don't appear as often in my view are sloshers and inkbrushes. I mainly play S Ranked matches so I've no idea what it's like in TW.

I just can't watch Turf War... why Japan?

Oh, that's reassuring then. I remember using the Custom Splattershot Jr. a lot, along with one of the sniper-esque weapons with the echolocator.

noshten

Oh, that's reassuring then. I remember using the Custom Splattershot Jr. a lot, along with one of the sniper-esque weapons with the echolocator.

I mean surely on certain rotations you'd notice the same type of weapons, like more Luna's in TC or more chargers on Moray, more loadouts with killerwails on RM Port, but that's about it.
Clothing works the same way you notice more Stealth Jump on RM and TC, more QR on TC etc.
E-Liters were nerfed greatly so usually if you see an E-Liter playing in higher ranks it's either just a zoner or the bestest player in the match. I do like that there is greater variation in terms of usage of chargers noticing a lot more people using Squiffers and sometimes Bamboozlers.

Doorman

The variety's not bad, but it does seem like as you reach the top of the higher ranks, there are definitely some trends with certain weapons and certain gear loudouts that show up much more frequently than others.

Hope you have some kind of strategy for dealing with quick respawn dynamo rollers, for instance. Kelp scopes and the E-liter pair seem to be most common for chargers. Certain other weapons tend to still gear toward a lot of mobility.
And then there's the Tentatek...still one of the most used weapons in the game, as it has been since day one, and still arguably one of the strongest despite near-constant attempts to nerf its kit, the inkzooka in particular. What's interesting about it, though, is how you tend to see more variety in their builds than almost any other common weapon. There are damage up-focused ones, defense builds, quick respawn, run speed or swim speed, some that are just a mish-mash...the only thing you tend to not see are builds centered around the "special" skills.

Also, godspeed to you if you're using the Custom Jr. I could never really get that weapon to work the way I envisioned it and I'm pretty sure it's definitely still considered one of the biggest "struggle" weapons in the whole arsenal.

J@hranimo

Banned
Personally, I'd like to see even more people using Squiffers and Bamboozlers.

It took a while of constant play but I'd argue and say Squiffers are some of the most fun weapons to use in the game. It's kinda hard to balance those and Bamboozlers at the same time, at least for me. They both have higher skill ceilings and require more effort to play consistently but I suppose if a squad has those players that can play well enough. Still won't budge the meta.

I'll be waiting for the sequel for a brand new meta of sorts.

abd

Rainmaker Challenge: Make this push count.

You can only move the rainmaker forward once. You only get to 84? Too bad. Now defend it.

Squiffers and bamboozlers are hard :( Fresh squiffer is easiest out of the entire group though imo. I'm trying Mk3 right now and I'm very much reminded why I don't really play bamboozlers that much. It's been a long time since I just arbitrarily cut my play time short, but I do now because Mk3 is so frustrating.

With that said, I'll still try to practice Mk3 but I definitely don't want to be saddled into playing only Mk3, that's bullshit.

Rainmaker Challenge: Make this push count.

You can only move the rainmaker forward once. You only get to 84? Too bad. Now defend it.

That's my approach to ranked battles. It's better to defend one part of the map once you have a good lead with one minute remaining. It's very easy for the opposing team to snatch a last minute win if your teammates are spread too thing across the map.

I find that going for an aggressive intro play in Rainmaker helps a lot since my team tends to get wiped a lot early on if I try to play less aggressive.

Squiffers and bamboozlers are hard :( Fresh squiffer is easiest out of the entire group though imo. I'm trying Mk3 right now and I'm very much reminded why I don't really play bamboozlers that much. It's been a long time since I just arbitrarily cut my play time short, but I do now because Mk3 is so frustrating.

With that said, I'll still try to practice Mk3 but I definitely don't want to be saddled into playing only Mk3, that's bullshit.

How is the Bamboozler challenge going now?

eRonin

A friend and I are hosting a LAN Splatoon Tournament in Sydney in a couple of weeks. My friend called Nintendo Australia about the event and they actually provided caps, stickers and amiibo to us to give out as prizes on the day, which is actually really cool of them. If anybody here is in Sydney, hit me up and I'll send you an invite to the event :D

-shadow-

I wish I was, but I didn't know Splatoon supported LAN. Well outside of demonstrations anyway. Any more information about it?

Also I just doubt Nintendo Benelux would even be that cool. They just seem cold to me always 😐

Edit: did they nerf the winning streak? I just lost two and a half points while on fire. This was always just a half 😐

Oh, that's perfectly fine, but I was more curious on your opinion of the weapon now compared to before. Then again, I should've just said that. =P
I think I somehow managed to do worse with it now than before. Bamboozler shots are already very thin, and uncharged bamboozler shots are very unreliable. That's pretty much what I remember at this time.

eRonin

I wish I was, but I didn't know Splatoon supported LAN. Well outside of demonstrations anyway. Any more information about it?

Also I just doubt Nintendo Benelux would even be that cool. They just seem cold to me always 😐

Edit: did they nerf the winning streak? I just lost two and a half points while on fire. This was always just a half 😐

All the Wii Us still need to be connected to the Internet, but if they're on the same network, once you're in-game in a private battle, they'll talk to each other locally which reduces bandwith required and latency.

If you're asking about info about the event though, facebook event is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1693168671002666/1697458647240335/

Top Bottom