• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

-shadow-

Alright in that way, I for a minute thought they'd be connected directly to each other. I'll see if I can ever manage to pull that off. Seems like fun!

Jims

Ohmygosh, I'm so frickin' buzzed right now. I just won my first 2v4! It was Turf, but who cares!!!

We were playing Mahi Turf and we spawned with only 3 players. And then another fizzled next to me when leaving the base. The other guy (an N-ZAP '85) immediately Booyah'd and went out there anyway. I was like, "I'm about to get my ass kicked, but lets see how long I can hold down the left side with a Slosher Deco." As like a fun experiment. I happen to be running Tenacity, maybe I can hold out for awhile.

...And then proceeded to just mow down every player that approached me. Like, the Turf War wasn't even close. I had that shit on lock the entire game. Just toying with their sniper on their ledges the entire time, sloshing from below. It was like something out of the Matrix, I just kept waiting for them to come at me. Krakens every time I wanted one. Played almost a flawless round, going 12-1. The other guy went 2-2. I'm just in S-rank so maybe winning a Turf like that isn't that remarkable, I had just never played a complete round like that before.

(I will admit to jumping up and down in glee like a stupid dork afterwards. This game makes you crazy.)

Doorman

The search for a disruptor weapon rolls on and on...and on. I want one to use badly but have been systematically ruling out every possible option for various reasons.

In recent days, it's been the blaster. I don't know. With more time and practice, I think I could still be okay with the feel of it, but the results just aren't there and the weapon's limits are being felt by me in a big way. I felt really discouraged by the and of last night, but at this point I'm not sure I can expect more from any other options and I really hate the thought of giving up being the only option that doesn't lead to oceans of salt and multitudes of awful rounds. Falling into the no-man's-land between the Luna's fire rate and the Range Blaster's, uh, range, the regular Blaster doesn't seem to have much for ideal situations. What I can't tell is if there's just some aspect to its use-strategy that I'm missing, or if it's just a matter of me not being skilled enough with the game in general.

Or maybe I just really hate Mahi-Mahi? It's starting to near Rig levels of "I don't want to play the game when it's in rotation."

14753899_1217809991574864_5965625797232767849_o.jpg

Inkling cosplay spotted at my small town's con.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Did you post a thread for that? I must've missed it T_T
Nah, there's not really an interest anywhere for 8 hours on a Saturday; I want to ingrain some storylines so I watch them which you don't really get from the Finals Nintendo uploads.

Didn't realize at the beginning of Tokai's broadcast 2 weeks ago until the semi's, but they upped the finalists to 15, I think I got this right:

3 - Kanto
2 - Chuubu (Tokai), Kansai (Kinki), Kyuushuu, Kanto (Chiba-Jumpfest)
1 - Hokkaido, Shikoku, Tohoku, Chuugoku

Tokai's tournament was a lot more entertaining because if you watched last year, Young Man was a clear favorite and they got denied in the finals by like 1% and they were killing it until the quarters where they almost got beat by a group of middle schoolers (I thought they would have lost, but they got a map they were basically experts on since they played on it 2 or 3 times already in the tournament). Anyways, at the semis, the 2 teams on stream all day had to face the semis contestants from the off-stream tournament and the teams we were all watching for 7 hours got demolished, which also killed Young Man's chance to compete in Tokyo when they were 1 step away, too funny.

Tohoku is this Friday btw.

ss-hikaru

Nah, talkin bout Regional champs; Ika Tama Kids won't appear until Tokyo, at the end.

Did they get seeded or are they from Tokyo? I don't remember ^^; Wish I could watch, it's probably sooo much more interesting than last year with five stages and less weapons. Has the weapon variety been good or everyone using the old faithfuls?

HawthorneKitty

Did they get seeded or are they from Tokyo? I don't remember ^^; Wish I could watch, it's probably sooo much more interesting than last year with five stages and less weapons. Has the weapon variety been good or everyone using the old faithfuls?
They are from Tokyo; no seeding for past winners so far. I'd say there is always 1 dynamo on winning teams, but there is a huge surge of Splatling weapons compared to last year.

Jims

Looks like they're really pushing the eSports angle as well. They were sponsoring that tournament in Europe that ends in March (coincidentally?), so the imagery in this trailer looks like they really want to pursue this angle for the next game.

If the tourney is over by the time when Switch releases, does that imply Splatoon is going to be an Switch launch title? They released the first Splatoon early and then patched it, I could totally see them doing a similar roll-out to get Splatoon at launch.

I wanna see what's up with those rollers and chargers. Also, are those different styles of pants as well?

HawthorneKitty

Looks like they're really pushing the eSports angle as well. They were sponsoring that tournament in Europe that ends in March (coincidentally?), so the imagery in this trailer looks like they really want to pursue this angle for the next game.

If the tourney is over by the time when Switch releases, does that imply Splatoon is going to be an Switch launch title? They released the first Splatoon early and then patched it, I could totally see them doing a similar roll-out to get Splatoon at launch.

I wanna see what's up with those rollers and chargers. Also, are those different styles of pants as well?
Koshien ends a month before Switch hits. :3

Please keep gyro... and why is the new thread locked?

About port/sequel discussion, I don't know if we should call it a port when there's new hair style, new stages and changeable shorts?

edit: nvm, it's unlocked.

ChrisD

Heeeeey, my post from an hour ago didn't go through. Servers, plz.

SUPER excited for Spla2n. The hair thing has me unreasonably happy!

Wonder if they'll keep the reroll system... I hope not. Let everyone choose their own abilities at this point, just put everyone on equal ground.

Wonder if they'll keep the reroll system... I hope not. Let everyone choose their own abilities at this point, just put everyone on equal ground.

If Nintendo decides to keep the reroll system, let us have better chances to get brand triples if we give Spyke more money / snails like the Melee trophy lottery.

ChrisD

Keep the reroll system, but let us have better chances to get brand triples if we give Spyke more money / snails like the Melee trophy lottery.

That'd be better, but still carries a con if they can't ensure something like SplatHax never occurs in the game's lifetime. I want everyone to be on even grounds in the aspect of making ability choices.

More importantly: octolings when

Male Inkling on far-left of the second spawn footage looked like he had Octoling hair. Hope they put the actual species in though.

splatoon still trending on twitter

That's awesome!

RedFyn

Keep the reroll system, but let us have better chances to get brand triples if we give Spyke more money / snails like the Melee trophy lottery.
Why do you want it to return? The only point of it is player retention and I really don't think that's necessary for splatoon. It's simply an 'anti player' measure that quickly lost its appeal.

That'd be better, but still carries a con if they can't ensure something like SplatHax never occurs in the game's lifetime. I want everyone to be on even grounds in the aspect of making ability choices.

Why do you want it to return? The only point of it is player retention and I really don't think that's necessary for splatoon. It's simply an 'anti player' measure that quickly lost its appeal.

Because I was convinced that there NEEDS to be subs on gear, despite that there are about 4-5 different categories of gear in the sequel since "What's the point of brands if there aren't any sub ability biases for them?"

I'd much rather have each piece of gear be only have a main, and each ability is scaled because of that, but if there has to be subs in 2, then better to save more money to get exactly what you want.

It's a sequel, not every single thing from the last game doesn't need to return.

That means remove Damage Up, Defense Up and the Custom Hydra from the game, and add in a damage ramp up / drop off over range system that actually makes sense, why in the world should the 52 Gal have that damage value, and fire rate with a range that decent?

RedFyn

Why couldn't you just pick your main and subs? Why does it have to be tied to something? Brands are just another part of the world building. They don't have to be tied to specific abilities to exist.

ryechu

Because I was convinced that there NEEDS to be subs on gear, despite that there are about 4-5 different categories of gear in the sequel since "What's the point of brands if there aren't any sub ability biases for them?"

I'd much rather have each piece of gear be only have a main, and each ability is scaled because of that, but if there has to be subs in 2, then better to save more money to get exactly what you want.

It's a sequel, not every single thing from the last game doesn't need to return.

That means remove Damage Up, Defense Up and the Custom Hydra from the game, and add in a damage ramp up / drop off over range system that actually makes sense, why in the world should the 52 Gal have that damage value, and fire rate with a range that decent?

They should downplay the importance of gear abilities and remove damage up and defense up imo. Game would be a lot easier to balance if damage up and defense up werent in the game.

Maybe get rid of bubbler

I'd consider them better balanced if they made Bubbler and Kraken only gave you extra damage resistance, and not easy get out of jail free cards.

Bubble would break after 400-500 points of damage taken

Kraken would give you 70-80% damage resistance while active, so you can still die if you use it when low on health

And make both specials detonate sub weapons on contact, rather than the bombs disappearing out of existence. If Splash Walls and the Rainmaker Shield make bombs blow up on touch, then what's the bubble and kraken's excuse?

While readjusting other properties like their knockback taken to make them not useless.

As it is right now, you can still kill bubble and kraken users via knockback into bottomless pits or water in certain situations, but still, if you are invincible to all kinds of normal damage, then why should you be able to kill things that way also?

Damage should make the timer for kraken and bubbler deplete faster imo. Maybe scale that more somehow in favor of short range weapons over long range weapons.

-shadow-

Damage should make the timer for kraken and bubbler deplete faster imo. Maybe scale that more somehow in favor of short range weapons over long range weapons.

I don't really think that it should go faster, but bumping the Bubble a bit further would be great. I know they've already done so, but it doesn't really feel like they've actually done so...

I think it'd be interesting if they added some kind of coop game / mode to splatoon :3
I mean, I'm more than happy to go online and rain inky death down on other players, but sometimes it's nice to play together instead :p

So how do we feel about a Splatoon without motion controls

Meh, as a player who primarily used a roller to squish people only, the only real problem will be painting walls to swim upward.

Edit: In retrospect, on those rare occasions where I do use a normal weapon like the L3-D or Squiffer, then... yeah, I'll miss motion controls if they're gone.

Top Bottom