• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Sober

Yeah the action parts were actually not as bad as I thought they would be, especially since I was playing through as a Sam that took out his unsilenced assault rifle whenever someone saw him, never resetting checkpoints but mostly stealth. Just wish I could check a box during my perfectionist replay that says "no action movie parts". The last mission was freaking sweet
except the boss. At least it was kinda stealthy right?
And I forgot I turned off music so the whole last sequence was really awkward haha.

Charlie's missions are really awesome I think. Hard as hell, but that's how I like it.
Well, the thing is the final sequence
if you are going to have a boss fight I guess that's as good as it gets. I think.
Other than that it is hard to ramp up the difficulty curve on the late game in stealth games but I think they did a fairly decent job by making the final area just really fun to play around in (the 3 objectives in any order).

Honestly the actual action sequences were:
-Benghazi - only if you fuck up
-Insurgent Stronghold - none, just a quick sprint sequence and super easy sniper sequence, I didn't even bother looking before shooting, honestly.
-American Consumption - only if you get anal about having a timer, but I even went to the trouble of KO'ing everyone before finishing that area
-Estate - somewhat annoying because they can actually kill Nouri, very end sequence is probably like Benghazi
-London - very heavy on the narrative but probably the longer 'action' parts but it's still really two rooms in total unless you count the stumbling stealth sections after the tracker sequence
-Tehran, Iran - pretty sure you can slip out of the ambush undetected, but otherwise the UAV sequence is maybe 2 minutes long
-Philly - you will be detected regardless at the end, makes narrative sense I guess YES I KNOW THERE WAS A TRAIN LEVEL IN PANDORA TOMORROW and that's the only similarity. I played it panther though, the last train car is dumb though.
-Gitmo - pretty much full stealth
-Mexico - ugh, but was fun enough doing it full ghost actually. Drone sequence was fairly short again.
-American Fuel/LNG Terminal - the end chase was barely as action-y as they led me to believe, very easy to distract or KO the few guards in your way before proceeding without losing the target.
-Site F- other than the boss fight, it was very strong as a stealth level.

Some jumbled thoughts

Up to mission 4 so far on PC, runs great and look good despite still basically being on the same engine as the first (heavily modified unreal engine 2?). Probably my favorite splinter cell since Chaos Theory. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the first two levels even though they were set in broad daylight. Love that the gadgets, whispering, carrying bodies, non lethal attacks are back even if those elements feel somewhat out of place with these movement controls that carry over from Conviction. Only killed a few people so far mostly ghosting on perfectionist difficulty. The new Sam sounds a bit too young though and get's around with way more agility than you'd expect from a 50 year old man. Not bad, but not as good as Ironside was in Chaos Theory with his dry sarcastic humor. For some reason I can't get into the story at all but I never really did in the other games either, was all about the game play for me.

My one big complaint though is the movement doesn't feel precise enough, no variable move speed. Maybe they wanted to simplify the movement for new players or make it so it's easier to play on keyboard but I feel like Analog control was HUGE for previous Splinter Cell's and I liked the weighty realistic feel so it feels so wrong in this one. Also the multiplayer, I miss how much darker the maps were in Chaos Theory, and how you had a flashlight and could hear the enemy talking over headset. The atmosphere was way better.

Gbraga

Any new patches after the 1.7GB one? I want to play in fullscreen mode :C

Borderless window seems to be exactly the same, but I get skype popups.

Really enjoying the game though, a lot of content there.

no variable move speed.

What do you mean? You have 3 speeds both crouching and standing. Is that what you mean?

Gaz_RB

Well, the thing is the final sequence
if you are going to have a boss fight I guess that's as good as it gets. I think.
Other than that it is hard to ramp up the difficulty curve on the late game in stealth games but I think they did a fairly decent job by making the final area just really fun to play around in (the 3 objectives in any order).

Honestly the actual action sequences were:
-Benghazi - only if you fuck up
-Insurgent Stronghold - none, just a quick sprint sequence and super easy sniper sequence, I didn't even bother looking before shooting, honestly.
-American Consumption - only if you get anal about having a timer, but I even went to the trouble of KO'ing everyone before finishing that area
-Estate - somewhat annoying because they can actually kill Nouri, very end sequence is probably like Benghazi
-London - very heavy on the narrative but probably the longer 'action' parts but it's still really two rooms in total unless you count the stumbling stealth sections after the tracker sequence
-Tehran, Iran - pretty sure you can slip out of the ambush undetected, but otherwise the UAV sequence is maybe 2 minutes long
-Philly - you will be detected regardless at the end, makes narrative sense I guess YES I KNOW THERE WAS A TRAIN LEVEL IN PANDORA TOMORROW and that's the only similarity. I played it panther though, the last train car is dumb though.
-Gitmo - pretty much full stealth
-Mexico - ugh, but was fun enough doing it full ghost actually. Drone sequence was fairly short again.
-American Fuel/LNG Terminal - the end chase was barely as action-y as they led me to believe, very easy to distract or KO the few guards in your way before proceeding without losing the target.
-Site F- other than the boss fight, it was very strong as a stealth level.

Yeah I think you covered them all except that one sequence where
you've gotta run around the plane randomly solving problems. But I guess that could be included in Mexico
I guess my only problem with them(I actually thought most of them were fun) is that it could have gone without them. They could have just been short cutscenes. But I don't mind them I guess.

Didn't you already find some one?

I joined a random. He was new to the series, which I was fine with, but he was also very trigger happy, which doesn't make playing on Realistic challenging. We spent more time just restarting missions as opposed to finishing them because he'd always get caught.

What do you mean? You have 3 speeds both crouching and standing. Is that what you mean?

Yeah but that's my problem with it, only 3 speeds. In Chaos Theory is was completely analog. You could tap the stick and you'd creep extremely slowly, full tilt and you'd move at full speed and anywhere in between. It was complete control whereas in Blacklist you can be moving slowly, tilt the stick a bit more and still going the same speed. It's no longer dynamic if you get what I mean. Feels less precise which was okay in Conviction because it was basically an action game. But in this more stealth-able methodical game it feels like it would've benefited from giving the player more control.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah... game is not for me.

Probably would have been halfway cool if they had actually allowed more control over your walk/crouch speed. It just doesn't feel like Splinter Cell.

File this one as another once-loved franchise I no longer recognize.

Gaz_RB

Yeah... game is not for me.

Probably would have been halfway cool if they had actually allowed more control over your walk/crouch speed. It just doesn't feel like Splinter Cell.

File this one as another once-loved franchise I no longer recognize.

While you may not recognize it as Splinter Cell, I think it's kinda silly to just cast it off because there isn't variable movement speed. I'd try to go into it with an open mind, and I think you'll find it's a competent stealth game.

Finished it, loved it. Full disclaimer, while I've always been a fan of the series, I've been a fan of *all* of the Clancy games on the console, so adding the variety here is something I can actually appreciate.

All the Splinter Cell games have forced action sequences and ambushes, or otherwise went for the cinematic or tried to mix things up. Same here. Its still Conviction in that the most prudent course of action is Panther playstyle - dropping everybody (or most everybody) silently. Full ghost and Assault playstyles are there for those seeking a different spin and an additional challenge, but the game will throw you head first into both playstyles, which to me is a good thing.

By the end the story made sense (if you don't know the ultimate goal of the engineers you weren't paying attention), the characters all got their moments, and fifth freedoms were exercised. Its tiny, but I liked (end mission spoilers)
supplying each team member's approval for the final mission, the entire final mission itself (classic), yeah even the lasers, and how after the credits have rolled and the game is over you make your own kind of epilogue when talking to each person on the Paladin.

I also almost quit playing entirely before it dawned on me (ending spoilers)
just what I had to do in that final encounter. For a while there I thought I just needed to go in for the melee takedown three times, without realizing I could aim the damn gun. Haha.

I grade games on a curve and while this may not be art, the format is perfect for a modern videogame. You have choice, emergent situations, longevity, replayability in the campaign and side missions tailored to each playstyle, challenges, co-op and multiplayer. You can make plans and execute them, or you can try to go with the moment and adapt, or a mix of all and any of the above.

No this isn't the super hardcore ghost only game of Splinter Cell wishes and dreams, but nor is it Conviction with its funneled linear routes and laser focus on mark-and-execute and gunplay above all else. Its somewhere in the middle, but with more difficulty and less hand-holding than most games these days. You *will* die, and you *will* be forced to restart way back at the beginning of the checkpoint. You may scream and want to break your controller - such is the way of good games sometimes ;P

Ubi's done good in my book anyway. Bring on some more missions, and hell, a full on expansion if they have it in em. The foundation is there - so hopefully the game finds enough of an audience to allow for some more content down the line. I'll take it all, weapons, gadgets, enemy/hazard types, side missions, co-op campaigns, the works.

Gbraga

Yeah but that's my problem with it, only 3 speeds. In Chaos Theory is was completely analog. You could tap the stick and you'd creep extremely slowly, full tilt and you'd move at full speed and anywhere in between. It was complete control whereas in Blacklist you can be moving slowly, tilt the stick a bit more and still going the same speed. It's no longer dynamic if you get what I mean. Feels less precise which was okay in Conviction because it was basically an action game. But in this more stealth-able methodical game it feels like it would've benefited from giving the player more control.

Ah, I see what you mean. The mouse-wheel control from Chaos Theory. Didn't know how it worked with controllers.

Really enjoy melee killing guys while moving. Some of the best melee kills in a 3rd person shooter.

I don't do the kills unless there are no other options, but even the knockouts in motion are great. You can run and chain together an elaborate labyrinth of passed out people if your timing is perfect. I was really hesitant with the controls initially, but now that I understand the mechanics it feels very empowering.

Sitting here trying to think of a game a want to play and this thread has me on the brink of buying this game. God, I would love some spies vs. mercs, it has been so long. All the impressions sound great, and the devs really have seemed to capture a lot of the essence of the old version. Ughhhhhhhhh......to buy or to to buy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The co op missions are so frustrating. Like soul suckingky irritating, and totally missing the point of what the game is about.

If you do them solo they actually are kinda challenging in a good way. The problem I have with them is the "no detection" bit. If you're trying to do that as a ghost in Perfectionist... good luck.

Gaz_RB

Finished it, loved it. Full disclaimer, while I've always been a fan of the series, I've been a fan of *all* of the Clancy games on the console, so adding the variety here is something I can actually appreciate.

All the Splinter Cell games have forced action sequences and ambushes, or otherwise went for the cinematic or tried to mix things up. Same here. Its still Conviction in that the most prudent course of action is Panther playstyle - dropping everybody (or most everybody) silently. Full ghost and Assault playstyles are there for those seeking a different spin and an additional challenge, but the game will throw you head first into both playstyles, which to me is a good thing.

By the end the story made sense (if you don't know the ultimate goal of the engineers you weren't paying attention), the characters all got their moments, and fifth freedoms were exercised. Its tiny, but I liked (end mission spoilers)
supplying each team member's approval for the final mission, the entire final mission itself (classic), yeah even the lasers, and how after the credits have rolled and the game is over you make your own kind of epilogue when talking to each person on the Paladin.

I also almost quit playing entirely before it dawned on me (ending spoilers)
just what I had to do in that final encounter. For a while there I thought I just needed to go in for the melee takedown three times, without realizing I could aim the damn gun. Haha.

I grade games on a curve and while this may not be art, the format is perfect for a modern videogame. You have choice, emergent situations, longevity, replayability in the campaign and side missions tailored to each playstyle, challenges, co-op and multiplayer. You can make plans and execute them, or you can try to go with the moment and adapt, or a mix of all and any of the above.

No this isn't the super hardcore ghost only game of Splinter Cell wishes and dreams, but nor is it Conviction with its funneled linear routes and laser focus on mark-and-execute and gunplay above all else. Its somewhere in the middle, but with more difficulty and less hand-holding than most games these days. You *will* die, and you *will* be forced to restart way back at the beginning of the checkpoint. You may scream and want to break your controller - such is the way of good games sometimes ;P

Ubi's done good in my book anyway. Bring on some more missions, and hell, a full on expansion if they have it in em. The foundation is there - so hopefully the game finds enough of an audience to allow for some more content down the line. I'll take it all, weapons, gadgets, enemy/hazard types, side missions, co-op campaigns, the works.

I did the same thing on the last boss. Took me forever to figure it out though.

Great post. I agree with most of what you said. I'm a Clancy fan too, and the recent Ghost Recon Future Soldier is one of my favorites, and this game took a lot from it.

This game is a great foundation, and like you said, I really hope they come with more missions as DLC. I would buy the hell out of it. I hope this game sold well...

Even though I wish this game had DLC already, that's not to say it doesn't have a ridiculous amount of varied content. This was not a lazy Splinter Cell in all but name, this brought it into the modern era with modern controls. It brought Splinter Cell back from the brink of getting shelved, and I'm happy to see it return, huge explosions and all.

Also I just remembered that bank mission in Chaos Theory where you can stealth the whole way and as you exit the vault the alarm goes off and hostiles are positioned to fight you. Not unlike this game, and not very true to nostalgia-vision SC purity.

The co op missions are so frustrating. Like soul suckingky irritating, and totally missing the point of what the game is about.
I haven't tried any of em yet - what's the problem? If anything I'm worried that while I'm OK with the trial and error of stealth, my usual co-op partners won't be ;P Patience isn't always something in good supply.

If I could change anything in the game I'd:

* Provide more motivation to go the non-lethal route. Most of the time you're dealing with scumbags nobody would miss so its easy to go full lethal, but it'd be nice if the story or character reactions or intel opportunities were tied into the choices of going lethal or not. Provide unique benefits and drawbacks to each besides just score. R.O.E. should matter.

* Moving cover to cover was handled much better and smoother in Future Soldier. Use that as a guide.

* Reduce peripheral awareness for enemies with goggles and gas masks - do the same for the player if need be.

* Fix night vision. Was it just me or was this vision mode absolutely useless? If i couldn't see it in the dark I sure as hell couldn't see it with NV on either, so I'm not sure what the point is.

* True analog movement speed.

TheSeks

The goggles in general are kinda useless on Perfectionist. The only useful one is movement seeing of the guards to see their patrol routes with the Sonar vision.

DesertFox

Loving SvM so far but there is definitely some bs that needs to be patched. Spies should not be able to kill from the front or while a Merc is being shocked.

Also the melee range is horribly unbalanced. Spies can melee from about 6 feet but Mercs have to be right on top of an enemy to melee. (Unless I'm doing it wrong - have yet to successfully melee as a Merc)

Anybody else having bad stutter? I only have a 6850 but I have the fancy resource-hungry stuff turned down and I can easily run most games at 60. The game is running at a smooth 60 in between the stutters every few seconds.

edit- I realized this only happens after I restart a checkpoint. When I first start the game, it runs smoothly.

TheSeks

It's not really the frontal assault melee that is the problem. It's the Spy having more range than the Merc/Merc not really having a good counter for the melee that is more the issue. I dunno if the customization unlocks would fix that (and even if they did they wouldn't be able to be used in Classic mode so... not really fixing the problem) but as you said the Merc's melee range is short and the Spies are really long and if a spy is camping a corner you can't counter that because they're basically "invincible" and you can't do anything to get that situation resolved more toward your favor because the Spy has no reason to run/get away when he can get you while you're in grenade throwing/moving away animations.

DesertFox

Also I just remembered that bank mission in Chaos Theory where you can stealth the whole way and as you exit the vault the alarm goes off and hostiles are positioned to fight you. Not unlike this game, and not very true to nostalgia-vision SC purity.
You can ocp the laser on the vault exit to avoid tripping the alarm.

I agree that the night vision goggles don't actually make seeing in the dark any easier. Also in the old games standing next to an enemy in the dark made u essentially invisible. Is it just me or is the dark no longer anywhere near as good for hiding you? I guess it's a bit more realistic maybe. I do like in this one how if you take out a guard, a nearby guard that may have been talking to him just before will notice he's missing and ask if he's still there, come check out the situation and then have me knock him out just like his friend.

Sober

I agree that the night vision goggles don't actually make seeing in the dark any easier. Also in the old games standing next to an enemy in the dark made u essentially invisible. Is it just me or is the dark no longer anywhere near as good for hiding you? I guess it's a bit more realistic maybe. I do like in this one how if you take out a guard, a nearby guard that may have been talking to him just before will notice he's missing and ask if he's still there, come check out the situation and then have me knock him out just like his friend.
Not sure how actual NVGs work but I was sorta expecting old SC levels of night vision, but rather it felt like more of a green filter over the screen, even after you let it set in it was still hard to notice things in pitch black (which I guess makes some sense). Maybe it was a crutch in visual design they wanted to remove, I dunno (the reliance on NVG).

But yeah I actually like that the enemy has decent peripheral vision and their eyes adjust to the dark now. Yeah, not fully invisible in the dark anymore, I guess we just have to deal with it, makes much more sense honestly and not as weird (at least until all of a sudden SC becomes a digital guille suit stealth game, PLEASE GOD NO).

Wurdfurd

Anyone able to play co-op online yet? I havent been able to connect to anyone, checked and double checked network settings and everything seems fine, but still no luck.

Some jumbled thoughts

Up to mission 4 so far on PC, runs great and look good despite still basically being on the same engine as the first (heavily modified unreal engine 2?). Probably my favorite splinter cell since Chaos Theory. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the first two levels even though they were set in broad daylight. Love that the gadgets, whispering, carrying bodies, non lethal attacks are back even if those elements feel somewhat out of place with these movement controls that carry over from Conviction. Only killed a few people so far mostly ghosting on perfectionist difficulty. The new Sam sounds a bit too young though and get's around with way more agility than you'd expect from a 50 year old man. Not bad, but not as good as Ironside was in Chaos Theory with his dry sarcastic humor. For some reason I can't get into the story at all but I never really did in the other games either, was all about the game play for me.

My one big complaint though is the movement doesn't feel precise enough, no variable move speed. Maybe they wanted to simplify the movement for new players or make it so it's easier to play on keyboard but I feel like Analog control was HUGE for previous Splinter Cell's and I liked the weighty realistic feel so it feels so wrong in this one. Also the multiplayer, I miss how much darker the maps were in Chaos Theory, and how you had a flashlight and could hear the enemy talking over headset. The atmosphere was way better.

Ah you're right. I couldn't put my finger on it. Not true analog motion. Wondered why he was difficult to steer.

Sojgat

I haven't tried any of em yet - what's the problem? If anything I'm worried that while I'm OK with the trial and error of stealth, my usual co-op partners won't be ;P Patience isn't always something in good supply.

If I could change anything in the game I'd:

* Provide more motivation to go the non-lethal route. Most of the time you're dealing with scumbags nobody would miss so its easy to go full lethal, but it'd be nice if the story or character reactions or intel opportunities were tied into the choices of going lethal or not. Provide unique benefits and drawbacks to each besides just score. R.O.E. should matter.

* Moving cover to cover was handled much better and smoother in Future Soldier. Use that as a guide.

* Reduce peripheral awareness for enemies with goggles and gas masks - do the same for the player if need be.

* Fix night vision. Was it just me or was this vision mode absolutely useless? If i couldn't see it in the dark I sure as hell couldn't see it with NV on either, so I'm not sure what the point is.

* True analog movement speed.

I was thinking this at first too, I played with the in-game brightness, and there's a sweet spot where the shadows are pitch black and night vision is clear as day (6 on my display). I'm constantly using it. It does take around 5 seconds to resolve properly after you switch the goggles on though, like eyes adjusting to the darkness.

Also, it feels like Sam does have true analog movement, but only when he's hugging cover. It's weird.

Also in the old ones when u stopped moving the analog stick, Sam stopped dead in his tracks. In this one he will continue to take the step forwards making movement feel unwieldy and like I'm not totally in control. Maybe nothing more than a nitpick but for some reason it really sticks out to me..

SvM Classic still does not feel like Pandora Tomorrow. There aren't enough gadgets, the hacking doesn't work the same way, the maps are too small, and most of all, where are all the cool nooks and crannies for spies to travel through?

DrBo42

I was thinking this at first too, I played with the in-game brightness, and there's a sweet spot where the shadows are pitch black and night vision is clear as day (6 on my display). I'm constantly using it. It does take around 5 seconds to resolve properly after you switch the goggles on though, like eyes adjusting to the darkness.

Also, it feels like Sam does have true analog movement, but only when he's hugging cover. It's weird.

Yeah you guys really need to fix your brightness before casting your NVGs into the ocean. On my setup, shadows on the night missions are pitch black and NVGs are a godsend.

Wunder

Hey guys, I bought Blacklist yesterday and it was listed as 'unreleased' on steam after I downloaded it. I'm in Malaysia and couldn't buy it off GMG so I had to go through steam, but it looks like Blacklist is releasing for the entirety of Asia on the 5th of September? Does anyone have any more information about this? :<

DrBo42

Hey guys, I bought Blacklist yesterday and it was listed as 'unreleased' on steam after I downloaded it. I'm in Malaysia and couldn't buy it off GMG so I had to go through steam, but it looks like Blacklist is releasing for the entirety of Asia on the 5th of September? Does anyone have any more information about this? :<

You could VPN to unlock it and restart in offline mode until you're done playing it.

Lizardus

Some thoughts:

SvM: I love it, some maps are advantageous to spies and some to mercs. All in all, it's a very good MP mode and should be fun for months to come

Co-op: Just finished Billionaire's Yacht mission on perfectionist. There was a lot of trial and error before we beat it. It was fun as fuck and I hope they continue adding more DLC missions. It's both frustrating and fun advancing the progress bit by but with each try.

Campaign: On third mission now, the starting area is huge. I am seeing that my performance worsens as I keep playing. Anyone getting same thing?

The part where you have to find the panic room and the guards are all around the house is classic Splinter Cell. Did it ghost on perfection and the night vision goggles came in very handy. I guess I just had to get used to the few second adjustment time.

stn

I just started it today. My impressions:

-Sam sounds okay but Ironside was PERFECT for the role.
-I wish the walking/crouch-walking was more precise.
-Its a chore to beat missions without touching anyone at all.

I'm giving it a very solid 8/10, I have a feeling it will stay around there or increase by 0.5. Its the best Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory.

Great game. It's one of those games where dying is a treat because I get to try something new when I reload. Lots of tools, lots of real estate to move around in, lots of viable tactics... loving it, a very dynamic brand of stealth.

But I cannot stand the new Sam, and I can't get used to him. He's not bad for generic action hero #5001, but he sounds like he's 25 years old. I knew I was going to miss Ironside's charisma and gruffness badly but I wasn't ready for this.

danielcw

Ah, I see what you mean. The mouse-wheel control from Chaos Theory. Didn't know how it worked with controllers.

Didn't CT's mouse wheel control have 3 speeds as well?

Anyone able to play co-op online yet? I havent been able to connect to anyone, checked and double checked network settings and everything seems fine, but still no luck.

Yes, just played with somebody from the U.S., worked fine.

ev0

I don't know if this is a stupid question. But can you up gadget ammo capacity?

I bought the best Stealth gear and in one mission I had 5 of each gadget. I've done a few side missions since but only max out at 3. Is it different for side missions? Am I crazy?

Thanks

Top Bottom