• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

I don't have the game for any platform, but the Miiverse community is a disaster; sounds like the game is totally broken on Wii U.

Really unfortunate.

Single player's fine, and the Gamepad adds a layer of convenience. The only problem is that the online multiplayer is borderline unplayable.

As a rule, if you want it for the singleplayer, get the Wii U version. If you want it for multiplayer, get any other version.

Onikaan

Nothing this guy says or does is anything like the Sam Fisher we know from previous games.

Guess he left with Ironside.

Sad.

Gaz_RB

Single player on Wii U is fine, and arguably the better of the console versions.

I have a question about the "No Kill Option Engaged" Achievement/Trophy/Accomplishment... If you kill in one of the side-missions, does it prevent you from getting it?

No sir

UrbanRats

So, Tassellation is basically bump-mapping for models while Parallax is bump-mapping for environments?

The only thing I notice is with them on textures popping out to give a "3D" look.

Tessellation dynamically adds detail to the geometries as you get closer to them, basically.
It "adds" triangles in real time making complex surfaces look rounder and smoother:
unigine_dx11_tessellation_hardocp.jpg

--

Parallax maps, AFAIK, are an approximation of an higher poly model.
So it looks 3d but it's effectively a flat surface with a shader on it tricking you eye.
ParallaxMapping800x600.jpg

Look at the border how the surface is flat, although in the center it looks bumpy.

I'm no 3d expert though, so anyone is free to correct me if i'm wrong here.

Sojgat

Nothing this guy says or does is anything like the Sam Fisher we know from previous games.

Sad.

He's growing on me, but there's just nothing in the script that even gives him a chance. He's not written like Ironside's Fisher at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Wait, it doesn't? You're telling me I can go on a killing spree and still get No Kill Option if I don't kill anyone in the story? So I can do Brigg's missions just fine?

Gaz_RB

Wait, it doesn't? You're telling me I can go on a killing spree and still get No Kill Option if I don't kill anyone in the story? So I can do Brigg's missions just fine?

Side missions are separate. They do a good job of making it seem like it ties into the story, but it's just Deniable Ops to do with your bros. just the red ones. And you can check whether you've done it at the mission briefing screen.

TheSeks

:eek:! :O! :O!!!!!

I know what I'm doing tonight then, killing people in Brigg's mission to unlock the lethal guns.

No I'm not, I'm doing the story missions and avoiding the co-ops until I got no kill option just to make sure you aren't trollin' me.

He's growing on me, but there's just nothing in the script that even gives him a chance. He's not written like Ironside's Fisher at all.
He's growing on me as well. I think it works because they went so far away from Ironside's style intentionally that you can't even begin to make direct comparisons. The script for him was a bit thin and I hope they give him so more meat next time, but I think it's very hard to have it both ways. So much of what Splinter Cell became in DA and Conviction was because Ironside was really passionate about moving the character in a direction he could grow. This is admirable, but this in part is basically what killed those games IMO.

What I really liked about Blacklist was that it was standard, well-executed Tom Clancy fare. The focus was all on the game like it was in the first three and it showed. I am much more a fan of the previous style of VERY gradually evolving the character so it doesn't mess with the game mechanics or style.

Gaz_RB

:eek:! :O! :O!!!!!

I know what I'm doing tonight then, killing people in Brigg's mission to unlock the lethal guns.

No I'm not, I'm doing the story missions and avoiding the co-ops until I got no kill option just to make sure you aren't trollin' me.

Swear I'm not ;) if you read the description, it says single player campaign as Sam Fisher.
Just the red missions on the SMI. I'll leave Neogaf if im wrong haha.

I've played through the campaign, and there's no real new game plus, just replay missions and there is a checklist that says whether you have gone non lethal, undetected, etc. As long as the red missions are done non lethally you're good. Even if you play all but one mission non lethally, you can go back and do that one mission non lethally to get the achievement.

TheSeks

Swear I'm not ;) if you read the description, it says single player campaign as Sam Fisher.

You're right, but you can do the missions solo (exception of Briggs) so...

I've already got the non-lethal stuff anyway so I should be able to blow through the missions just fine outside of maybe a better stealth suit now so I can complete the story anyway right now and go do the story missions later.

Gaz_RB

You're right, but you can do the missions solo (exception of Briggs) so...

I've already got the non-lethal stuff anyway so I should be able to blow through the missions just fine outside of maybe a better stealth suit now so I can complete the story anyway right now and go do the story missions later.

If you do all 3 of Grim's missions, you get a pretty nice stealth suit so maybe look into that. Her missions are awesome.

A big fuck you to ubisoft for leaving so many game breaking bugs in this game. Just not acceptable. My wife and I had been enjoying playing this co-op until these bugs started completing ruining the game. Several times the context sensitive partner actions like the ziplines or dual breeches have failed to show the A button prompt making it impossible to move on forcing us to reload checkpoints wasting hours of progress.

The biggest and worst game breaking bug came after spending hours trying to pass one of the last check points on the Abandoned City co-op mission. We finally got to what I assume is the last part of the mission
where Fisher and Briggs are injured lying on the ground after the evac chopper gets taken out. You are forced to take down a bunch of enemies while protecting someone and being unable to move.
. All the enemies have been eliminated but the game refuses to load the next section. So we are sitting there unable to move.

NOT HAPPY!

Sober

Side missions are separate. They do a good job of making it seem like it ties into the story, but it's just Deniable Ops to do with your bros. just the red ones. And you can check whether you've done it at the mission briefing screen.

The co-op missions (at least for Grim and Kobin) feel like a calibre way better than the SP. And the SP is already really good, even if the solo/co-op is supposed to almost intentionally feel "bite-sized".

I go on pretending that the co-op missions are the epilogue to the main campaign and is just Sam Fisher and friends doing Engineer cleanup duty since the actual threat is over. Makes more sense that they don't fly around the world without something concrete while a timer is ticking down.

That and the dialogue between Sam and Grim over comms on the co-op missions is probably closer to what people were hoping/expecting from the older games a bit. Like, maybe they weren't constrained as much by the script for the co-op mission setup/banter/dialogue that they could put a bit more of charm into the characters instead of having them scowl and passive-aggressive each other.

So is it 3/3/3 (grim/charlie/kobin) and then 5 briggs (co-op only campaign) ... that's the setup? Hopefully I'll give Dead Coast (Kobin) and Billionaire's Yacht (Grim) a try too so it's an extra map for those two. Hopefully those come out for people that didn't preorder since those are the best style of maps. Or just more of those style of maps, maybe something more larger/elaborate/more stages (Grim) or just more sections (Kobin), but the level design in this game I feel is so exceptional I really don't mind the way the maps are kinda sized right now, honestly.

VASPER

Banned

Sad.

This is why i did not pick it up day one, No Ironside no sale. Until its used that is kinda looks fun from the quicklooks i have seen.

TheSeks

Wow, what the hell. Controller support drops in Extraction matches. Full stop. You can't do anything but use the keyboard in that mode.

Guess I'm done with SvM until they fix this shit.

Playing it. It's good. But why does he just look like an old Commander Sheppard?

Because he is. I'm Commander Fisher, and THIS ship is the best plane in all the US military.

Malvingt2

Plenty of people looking for games, but online is practically broken. You end up sitting in a lobby unable to play the vast majority of the time. Then there's a freezing bug. So many people on Miiverse complaining about this right now.

There was never such an issue with MonHun, Injustice, Sonic Racing, etc.

Can't even join games via friend invites 99% of the time.

Its not totally broken on Wiiu, single player and online co-op works great, online multiplayer works some times and need a patch.

I still enjoy the heck out of the game, when online works its super fun.

Play single player and co-op and wait for the patch for the rest of online

Thanks guys...

Gaz_RB

The co-op missions (at least for Grim and Kobin) feel like a calibre way better than the SP. And the SP is already really good, even if the solo/co-op is supposed to almost intentionally feel "bite-sized".

I go on pretending that the co-op missions are the epilogue to the main campaign and is just Sam Fisher and friends doing Engineer cleanup duty since the actual threat is over. Makes more sense that they don't fly around the world without something concrete while a timer is ticking down.

That and the dialogue between Sam and Grim over comms on the co-op missions is probably closer to what people were hoping/expecting from the older games a bit. Like, maybe they weren't constrained as much by the script for the co-op mission setup/banter/dialogue that they could put a bit more of charm into the characters instead of having them scowl and passive-aggressive each other.

So is it 3/3/3 (grim/charlie/kobin) and then 5 briggs (co-op only campaign) ... that's the setup? Hopefully I'll give Dead Coast (Kobin) and Billionaire's Yacht (Grim) a try too so it's an extra map for those two. Hopefully those come out for people that didn't preorder since those are the best style of maps. Or just more of those style of maps, maybe something more larger/elaborate/more stages (Grim) or just more sections (Kobin), but the level design in this game I feel is so exceptional I really don't mind the way the maps are kinda sized right now, honestly.

Wow yeah I agree with everything you said here they gave heaps of content but I want even more. I think there are only 4 Briggs missions though, unfortunately, unless I can't count.

demolitio

I don't think he's a bad actor/VA but he's nowhere near Sam Fisher simply because of his age. When you talk to Sarah on the phone, it sounds more like a brother talking to a sister simply because his voice doesn't have that age to it as he's a young actor afterall. That's where the big problem comes in for me in terms of the change because he just doesn't even sold old enough at all.

I think a lot of this game has done the character a lot of harm and I can see why Ironside didn't want to do it if it truly was because where they were taking his character. I still think they should have made Sam the new Lambert except as sarcastic and vocal as ever and have a new agent take over as the player like Briggs if they truly want to continue the story. If they came out and said each game was separate from the last one, at least it would make sense but as it stands, there's no progression in the character and he keeps changing. You don't often see the leaders of agencies out in the field either. :D

I'm fine with a new character if it makes sense afterall and it would be less jarring than the current situation.

As far as SvM goes, I still despise Blacklist but Classic is a lot of fun even though I wish I could have my shotgun Merc again.

Edit: I agree that the coop is the best part of the game. I hope they can give us more coop missions since it's the most fun I've had with the game. The best part about being individual missions is that they can take us anywhere and it still makes sense giving us a huge variety. A mission in the jungles of Colombia taking out a drug cartel's lab? Awesome. Stopping a shipment of weapons or explosives on a ship? I'm there! Stopping a defector from selling information in a cold and desolate Siberia? Fuck yea!

TheSeks

Wow, the controller dropped completely from all menus. I'm thinking a game bug popped up as it was fine before. But that said until it's fixed I'm done playing.

jmizzal

Got #1 in the world on American Consumption on Wii U.

I'm afraid to scroll down and see how short the leaderboard is.

I saw that lol

I scroll down on the first mission Safehouse but it doesnt have a quick jump to the bottom, I got tired but I was up to over 3,000 when I stopped, Miiverse is at near 5,000.

As for online seems it will be patched soon, that is what Ubisoft is telling people who call them about the issues.

PowderedToast

i have to divorce myself from the rampant jingoism (
the sniper intro the 2nd mission is so gross
) but i'm enjoying this.

doesn't play as well as the old games, there's a delay to every input and there's only two crouch speeds instead of total analogue movements...why this regression i dnt know???

whats genuinely impressed me is the open ended feel of the level design. it's my 1st go through so its hard to tell how much is illusion and how much is actually choice but its def no uncharted.

the back of the case has somethin like "YOUR WAY. YOUR RULES" but as u expect it amounts to the same level of customisation every other contemporary action game does. u can stealth takedown or u can shoot. also u can buy upgrades to make ur stealth bar go higher.....ooo wowwee

IN CONCLUSION its not a travesty. chaos theory is on another plane of slayage but this is a solid entry in the stealth genre. if ur a fan of the genre etc etc

p.s. it's definitely sub-hd on ps3. i notice the unreal logo when the game boots. if this is on unreal engine 2.5 like conviction then i dno whether to laugh or cry. its fuckin 2013 ubisoft

UrbanRats

I'm having a ton of fun with the game.
I could do without the
first person parts
, but whatever.

Again, my only real disappointment is that they:

Removed LAN support from Conviction.
Removed the roll (that you did with the left trigger) from Conviction.

I just loved to roll everywhere.

Can't follow the story though, really, everytime they start yapping about whatever military crap, i just..
iDtHZra0ok4O8.gif

Sullichin

Thinking about picking this up on PC mostly just for Spies Vs Mercs, but I also enjoyed the single player of every SC game to some extent so I'll probably like this

Is Spies Vs Mercs awesome?

Lizardus

Can anyone tell me how to equip the Sticky Shocker on my crossbow?
I have both the regular crossbow and the Tacticoooool Crossbow but when I went to customize them, they didn't have the option of putting the sticky shocker on. I don't see it in the gadgets either.

demolitio

I have both the regular crossbow and the Tacticoooool Crossbow but when I went to customize them, they didn't have the option of putting the sticky shocker on. I don't see it in the gadgets either.

Press U to change fire modes or 3 again after it's equipped assuming you're on PC. Otherwise, there should be a change fire mode button on the controller mapping to tell you.

You get them by default so no unlocks necessary.

Gaz_RB

So after you get the crossbow and buy and equip the sticky shocker, hit left on the dpad to switch bolts, or alternatively hold the dpad, move the right stick over to the crossbow and hit RB/LB

Rumble19

I used to play the old 2v2 multiplayer in Chaos Theory. So my question is: how does this one hold up? I would have a partner to play with on PC. Is the population good? Does the game play well?

Afro

is it just me or are the controls pretty much flawless in this game? the feeling of moving from cover to cover, climbing, equipping weapons from the wheel, it just all feels buttery smooth. definitely holds its spot in the top tier along with Gears 3 and Dishonored for most fluid controls. especially while running at 60fps, good lord. doesn't get much better than this.

using a 360 pad on PC BTW.

Sojgat

is it just me or are the controls pretty much flawless in this game? the feeling of moving from cover to cover, climbing, equipping weapons from the wheel, it just all feels buttery smooth. definitely holds its spot in the top tier along with Gears 3 and Dishonored for most fluid controls. especially while running at 60fps, good lord. doesn't get much better than this.

Im terms of cover focused third-person movement, the only game I can think of that beats it is Fuse.

Blacklist sometimes sticks me to the wrong wall when surfaces are close together, and the crouched movement could benefit from analog speed control when not in cover (where it already has it).

I don't know what some reviewers were talking about with context sensitivity problems, I've had absolutely no issue.

I used to play the old 2v2 multiplayer in Chaos Theory. So my question is: how does this one hold up? I would have a partner to play with on PC. Is the population good? Does the game play well?

2v2 (classic as it's now called) is awesome as it ever was imo. The new additions (4v4), eh, jury is still out.

Not for me. The controls are my number 1 issue with this game. Also using a 360 pad on PC. Closing doors is a pain in the ass. Sam's movement is clunky and not having precise control over it really hampers it a bit. The number of times I've done unnecessary things because the "A" button prompt was somewhere else and not where I want to be..

I'm really, really liking this game. Disclaimer: I liked Conviction for what it was, even though it wasn't what I wanted out of Splinter Cell.

The mission design is fantastic, the multiplayer is rich (ESPECIALLY SvM Classic) and the co-op/solo side stuff is almost more fun than the campaign. I just wish the story was better.

I miss the roll too.
Lol I tried to figure out how to roll for like 30 minutes straight because I just couldn't believe it wasn't in the game. I kept thinking they were dumbies and left it off the control map. I really want it back for no other reason than it being classic and looking awesome. The slide is more functional in this iteration though.

That and maybe a toggle for the balaclava after you beat the game. It looks unreal in this one.

Afro

Blacklist sometimes sticks me to the wrong wall when surfaces are close together, and the crouched movement could benefit from analog speed control when not in cover (where it already has it).

just tested this as a Spy in SvM and yeah, it could definitely use analog speed control in crouch.

Not for me. The controls are my number 1 issue with this game. Also using a 360 pad on PC. Closing doors is a pain in the ass. Sam's movement is clunky and not having precise control over it really hampers it a bit. The number of times I've done unnecessary things because the "A" button prompt was somewhere else and not where I want to be..

yeah, I have noticed Sam has a somewhat weighty feel if that's what you mean by clunky. Haven't played much SP honestly, I'm mostly on SvM.

I feel like an idiot for not realizing you could turn motion controls off for using things like the Snake Cam and UAV on the Wii U Gamepad. I was getting so frustrated with the UAV controls at the beginning of mission 2, switched to the Pro Controller, inevitably switched back, and then realized that the options were already there.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm never going to finish Charlie's 4E missions. They're designed for assault but I'm trying to go panther. It's a pain in the ass, and I'm through with this shit.

Sooo ... any Wii U owners wanna do Briggs's 4E missions with me? They're co-op only.

if anyone's interested in SvM or Coop this evening, hit me up on Uplay (or steam, since I'm not even sure if uplay supports any kind of messaging)
MrCompletely on both services.

I just spent 20 minutes trying to find a classic game on PC.

Is the community for this already dead? Nothing for Uplink Control or Deathmatch either...

*sigh*

TheSeks

I just spent 20 minutes trying to find a classic game on PC.

Is the community for this already dead? Nothing for Uplink Control or Deathmatch either...

*sigh*

There's matches but I think most people are waiting until the connection problems are solved and bugs are fixed. It's apparent the game was rushed.

Top Bottom