• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Grimm's co-op missions are a lot of fun splitscreen. I've been playing them all day on Perfectionist with my bro - we even managed to get number 1 on leaderboards for Hawkins Seafort 100% ghost. It's up there as 2:52, but I recorded another where we shaved off about 20 seconds. Working it all out and seeing the pieces fall into place is really satisfying, more so than the singleplayer (so far imo). I just wish there were more missions, I don't care for the assault/horde ones.

The_Lump

Banned
Just seen an advert for this from GAME. WiiU version not even mentioned or shown with the other boxes at the end. The fuck?

Still thinking of picking this up. Is there a DF analysis yet?

Just seen an advert for this from GAME. WiiU version not even mentioned or shown with the other boxes at the end. The fuck?

Still thinking of picking this up. Is there a DF analysis yet?

I made a PC Graphics Comparison of the DX11 Features and AO Implementations:

(1920x1080, Ingame SSAA 2x2 Rotated Grid, DX11)
Sam Fisher With Tessellation & Parallax
Sam Fisher With Tessellation & NO Parallax
Sam Fisher NO Tessellation & NO Parallax

Terrain With Tessellation & Parallax
Terrain Without Tessellation & Parallax

AO Comparison:

OFF 35fps
Field AO 29fps
Field AO + SSAO 16fps
Field AO + SSAO+ 8fps
Field AO + HBAO 23fps
Field AO + HBAO+ 17fps

Based on all this and how minimal the changes are, I'm going for the FPS boost of DX9 w/Field AO and Parallax Off (Tessellation is Disabled in DX9 by Default).

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

AO Comparison:

OFF 35fps
Field AO 29fps
Field AO + SSAO 16fps
Field AO + SSAO+ 8fps
Field AO + HBAO 23fps
Field AO + HBAO+ 17fps

Based on all this and how minimal the changes are, I'm going for the FPS boost of DX9 w/Field AO and Parallax Off (Tessellation is Disabled in DX9 by Default).

Thanks for this. Really informative.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just did the first two Grim side-ops, truly felt like Splinter Cell. Ghosted them both, no kills/KO's aside one HVT.

The fact that the missions don't have checkpoints makes everything super intense, which is a good thing.

Also, this might be blasphemy but I like the uPlay-unlocked blue lights over the default green.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

AO Comparison:

OFF 35fps
Field AO 29fps
Field AO + SSAO 16fps
Field AO + SSAO+ 8fps
Field AO + HBAO 23fps
Field AO + HBAO+ 17fps

Yeah, I was playing around with this myself. The differences are relatively subtle during gameplay and, on a GTX680 at least, I didn't really see any significant performance difference. Tessellation occasionally brings the framerate down a few frames, though, so I've been leaving it disabled in order to hold 60 fps at all times.

I'm just glad the game runs well, unlike Conviction.

Cyrix

Neo Member

AO Comparison:

OFF 35fps
Field AO 29fps
Field AO + SSAO 16fps
Field AO + SSAO+ 8fps
Field AO + HBAO 23fps
Field AO + HBAO+ 17fps

just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are you running?

Also from my limited testing that SSAA 2x2 rotated grid thing seems to be a bit of a performance hog as well. actually all of the AA settings above FXAA seemed about the same with rotated being just slightly worse.

I'm on a 3570, gtx760 setup and in the plane I'm getting 75 fps pretty darn solid with dx11 and everything on max, non + HBAO, and the lowest AA

I'll be the first to acknowledge that my methods are not super stringent though and may be flawed.

strafer

So I played some at a friends last night. Third mission I think, you start off on a roof and then infiltrate, that mission is pure Splinter Cell. I kinda dug that.

PusherT

Tried playing online with Wii U version last night it is broken. the servers are shit for wii u gamers a real shame.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

AO Comparison:

OFF 35fps
Field AO 29fps
Field AO + SSAO 16fps
Field AO + SSAO+ 8fps
Field AO + HBAO 23fps
Field AO + HBAO+ 17fps

I have no clue what any of those are besides "makes things prettier." I only notice texture degrades on Sam. And it seems like the terrain "lifts" or flattens depending on the setting you have. Is this the same effect that "bump mapping" on Master Chief for X-box was supposed to have? Something like the same texture and polygon for a game doing a similar effect but it isn't the texture itself that is doing it, but an after-effect?

UrbanRats

I have no clue what any of those are besides "makes things prettier." I only notice texture degrades on Sam. And it seems like the terrain "lifts" or flattens depending on the setting you have. Is this the same effect that "bump mapping" on Master Chief for X-box was supposed to have? Something like the same texture and polygon for a game doing a similar effect but it isn't the texture itself that is doing it, but an after-effect?

Tassellation on SAM is very obvious.
Look how the details of his suit become actually 3d and the curves on his ear/face become rounder.

TheSeks

Tassellation on SAM is very obvious.
Look how the details of his suit become actually 3d and the curves on his ear/face become rounder.

So, Tassellation is basically bump-mapping for models while Parallax is bump-mapping for environments?

The only thing I notice is with them on textures popping out to give a "3D" look.

Disguises

Tried playing online with Wii U version last night it is broken. the servers are shit for wii u gamers a real shame.
Yep. Me and a friend intended to spend today doing online co-op but everything is broken. Invites don't work so we can't play. Other than that, the game is really great.

JambiBum

I don't really have the problems you guys do with the mercs. When I'm playing with a friend we dominate as mercs. Spies can barely even get a hack off. Playing with randoms who don't talk can cause issues but if I'm with someone who actually communicates we don't have issues. I think if the mercs had a charge or spin (not both) like they did in CT a lot of the melee issues would be solved for people. I haven't even gotten the chance to play as a spy very much lately unless we start off the match as spies because once people can't even get one station hacked they quit before we can even start.

jmizzal

Just did the first two Grim side-ops, truly felt like Splinter Cell. Ghosted them both, no kills/KO's aside one HVT.

The fact that the missions don't have checkpoints makes everything super intense, which is a good thing.

Also, this might be blasphemy but I like the uPlay-unlocked blue lights over the default green.

You know what I didnt even realize that the game didnt have check points until you get to the end of certain parts of the missions, now that I think about it COD and some other games your game is auto saving ever 2 mins.

Yep. Me and a friend intended to spend today doing online co-op but everything is broken. Invites don't work so we can't play. Other than that, the game is really great.

online co-op with friends worked well for me, but the online does need a patch, when it works its great

Gaz_RB

I don't really have the problems you guys do with the mercs. When I'm playing with a friend we dominate as mercs. Spies can barely even get a hack off. Playing with randoms who don't talk can cause issues but if I'm with someone who actually communicates we don't have issues. I think if the mercs had a charge or spin (not both) like they did in CT a lot of the melee issues would be solved for people. I haven't even gotten the chance to play as a spy very much lately unless we start off the match as spies because once people can't even get one station hacked they quit before we can even start.

Agreed. Good mercs can dominate spies no question. Spies are just really easy for noobs to play, so it seems like they're over powered because there is less of a learning curve because a lot of people have been playing the campaign. But I think I the best team of mercs went up against the best team of spies, the spies would lose or it would be a damn close match.

I'm having the same problem. My friend and I haven't lost a game of SvM classic yet, and most the time people quit and we don't even get to play spy... Host migration, where art thou?

Onikaan

Anyone else encountered the SvsM glitch where you can't see certain enemy players, and they can't see you?

And I mean, at all. They literally don't exist until you're back in the lobby. Terminals get hacked right under your nose and you can't do anything to stop it because they don't exist in your game.

They're not even in the game stats page when you press back during the game.

It is Ubisoft, so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Anyone know how to access the "playstyle" stuff? I've been doing a Panther run-through, but as far as I can tell I'm not getting any special gear.
There is no special gear. That notice is just telling you what style its best for. You buy it all with the same money when you buy the one before it, the only stuff u need to do to unlock is the 4E missions.

Gaz_RB

Anyone know how to access the "playstyle" stuff? I've been doing a Panther run-through, but as far as I can tell I'm not getting any special gear.

What do you mean by playstyle stuff? You usually get gear by either preorder crap or beating all of someone's 4E missions.

Edit: Beaten

Sanic

I don't have the game for any platform, but the Miiverse community is a disaster; sounds like the game is totally broken on Wii U.

Really unfortunate.

Sounds like you're playing classic, the issues aren't in classic. It's 4v4. At least for me.

TheSeks

Agreed. Good mercs can dominate spies no question. Spies are just really easy for noobs to play, so it seems like they're over powered because there is less of a learning curve because a lot of people have been playing the campaign. But I think I the best team of mercs went up against the best team of spies, the spies would lose or it would be a damn close match.

Kidding right? I have an easier time playing Merc
outside of DAT KNIFE CORNER HUMP
than I do Spy, even with a good teammate(s) against randoms. Probably because there's no map exploration mode like previous SvM's had to where I can learn the maps so I'm always on the ground trying to find a way to climb up a building but can't so I get shot to death.

Thanks for this. Really informative.
You're Welcome!
Yeah, I was playing around with this myself. The differences are relatively subtle during gameplay and, on a GTX680 at least, I didn't really see any significant performance difference. Tessellation occasionally brings the framerate down a few frames, though, so I've been leaving it disabled in order to hold 60 fps at all times.

I'm just glad the game runs well, unlike Conviction.
It runs well in DX9 with Field AO and everything Maxed except for Field AO.
just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are you running?

Also from my limited testing that SSAA 2x2 rotated grid thing seems to be a bit of a performance hog as well. actually all of the AA settings above FXAA seemed about the same with rotated being just slightly worse.

I'm on a 3570, gtx760 setup and in the plane I'm getting 75 fps pretty darn solid with dx11 and everything on max, non + HBAO, and the lowest AA

I'll be the first to acknowledge that my methods are not super stringent though and may be flawed.
I'm on an ASUS Crosshair AM2+ Mobo
Phenom x4 940 Stock
4GB DDR2 800
GTX 560 (non-Ti)

Tesselation seems to only work on character models, by adding polygons.
Parallax is just a standard feature that they wanted to make individual for some reason, it's super old and it like bump mapping but different in implementation.

There is no special gear. That notice is just telling you what style its best for. You buy it all with the same money when you buy the one before it, the only stuff u need to do to unlock is the 4E missions.

Ah. I was under the impression from reviews that you unlocked gear according to how you played.

I just got the WiiU version... How active is online? anyone knows?

Plenty of people looking for games, but online is practically broken. You end up sitting in a lobby unable to play the vast majority of the time. Then there's a freezing bug. So many people on Miiverse complaining about this right now.

There was never such an issue with MonHun, Injustice, Sonic Racing, etc.

Can't even join games via friend invites 99% of the time.

jmizzal

I don't have the game for any platform, but the Miiverse community is a disaster; sounds like the game is totally broken on Wii U.

Really unfortunate.

Its not totally broken on Wiiu, single player and online co-op works great, online multiplayer works some times and need a patch.

I still enjoy the heck out of the game, when online works its super fun.

I just got the WiiU version... How active is online? anyone knows?

Play single player and co-op and wait for the patch for the rest of online

Single player on Wii U is fine, and arguably the better of the console versions.

I have a question about the "No Kill Option Engaged" Achievement/Trophy/Accomplishment... If you kill in one of the side-missions, does it prevent you from getting it?

Top Bottom