• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

iNvid02

W2lOMYK.png

Gaz_RB

Hopefully the servers being worked on is a good thing, and they'll fix the party system that wasn't working quite right yesterday

It's alright, more like Double Agent than Chaos Theory.

Some poor level design holds it back.

That's a shame. I came to this thread for that information. Chaos Theory was my favorite multiplayer experience in any game. Double Agent ruined it for me. I was hoping Blacklist might restore it to former glory.

The most offensive thing in DA to me was that damn heartbeat sensor or whatever it was. Killed all tension SvM previously had on both sides. Is that gone now?

foxtrot3d

Banned
He's generally a great writer, and writing is what he does. They put a lot of work into it. I haven't played through the SP yet, so I don't have any opinions on that front. He's definitely not the far-right Team America-type that some of the responses to the game's story have indicated, so I'm curious to see how it plays out. Maybe that just works better in this style of game.

I just finished the SP campaign and WOW the story is just really bad. I don't know what happened, maybe he didnt get enough time, maybe he just doesnt get Splinter Cell but the story is atrocious. But, on top of that I'm not sure what the central theme of the game is. There is nothing wrong with an "America Hoorah" game, COD4 essentially had that vibe for its story but it worked. But, Blacklist has no idea what it is, you think it is an "American Hoorah" game but then,
You get to Guantanamo and in a disturbing sequence witness some really nasty and brutal treatment of the detainees there, which the characters seem to have no problem with. So now you're thinking this could be some commentary on US policies but then its back to "Hoorah America."Then, at the end of the game one of the main characters, the supposed good guys, kills the Sec. of Defense. And then, Sam after cornering Sadic chooses not to kill or capture him and give him a full and fair trial but instead sends him to a Blacksite where he will be tortured for all the information he knows.

And we're supposed to cheer for these guys at the end and go "Good job Sam."
Then lets not even get into the fact that we never fully understand what Sadic is after. At the end, it seems like he wanted access to Americas military network but we have no idea what he wanted to do with that information, why he wanted it, why he was doing what he was doing, and why 12 nations would back him. Nothing makes sense or has any point/

Pyronite

I just finished the SP campaign and WOW the story is just really bad. I don't know what happened, maybe he didnt get enough time, maybe he just doesnt get Splinter Cell but the story is atrocious. But, on top of that I'm not sure what the central theme of the game is. There is nothing wrong with an "America Hoorah" game, COD4 essentially had that vibe for its story but it worked. But, Blacklist has no idea what it is, you think it is an "American Hoorah" game but then,
You get to Guantanamo and in a disturbing sequence witness some really nasty and brutal treatment of the detainees there, which the characters seem to have no problem with. So now you're thinking this could be some commentary on US policies but then its back to "Hoorah America."Then, at the end of the game one of the main characters, the supposed good guys, kills the Sec. of Defense. And then, Sam after cornering Sadic chooses not to kill or capture him and give him a full and fair trial but instead sends him to a Blacksite where he will be tortured for all the information he knows.

And we're supposed to cheer for these guys at the end and go "Good job Sam."
Then lets not even get into the fact that we never fully understand what Sadic is after. At the end, it seems like he wanted access to Americas military network but we have no idea what he wanted to do with that information, why he wanted it, why he was doing what he was doing, and why 12 nations would back him. Nothing makes sense or has any point/

Take it up with him if you really think the story is incoherent—I haven't played it yet. But try to be constructive.

The only thing I can say that is in regards to "maybe he just doesnt get Splinter Cell": he has worked on multiple Splinter Cell games to this point. He's the head writer of the Clancy brand of games and has been with the company since before Ubi owned the Clancy property.

JambiBum

That's a shame. I came to this thread for that information. Chaos Theory was my favorite multiplayer experience in any game. Double Agent ruined it for me. I was hoping Blacklist might restore it to former glory.

The most offensive thing in DA to me was that damn heartbeat sensor or whatever it was. Killed all tension SvM previously had on both sides. Is that gone now?
Yup it's gone. The only vision you get as a merc in classic is your light and a general motion detector that has a small range.

God, this game could be soooo much better with a few tweaks. Really enjoying the third level right now but the Night Vision goggles are absolutely useless.

Since the indicator on your back tells you absolutely nothing, I'm forced to not be in Night Vision goggles when sneaking by because being in NV mode makes it impossible to judge your stealth level.

That and some animation tweaks to the controls would elevate this game much higher.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Take it up with him if you really think the story is incoherent—I haven't played it yet. But try to be constructive.

The only thing I can say that is in regards to "maybe he just doesnt get Splinter Cell": he has worked on multiple Splinter Cell games to this point. He's the head writer of the Clancy brand of games and has been with the company since before Ubi owned the Clancy property.

Well the reason I said "doesn't get SC" is because I'm unsure of which games he has worked on. I wouldn't call Conviction or Double Agent to be prime examples of a good SC game or story, although, Double Agent was closer than Conviction. The story of Blacklist just seemed like a big dumb summer action blockbuster plot, where at the end your left scratching your head at what exactly happened and why.

I don't mean to be rude and I know you had nothing to do with the story but I have to be honest.

I gave in and bought this for $60 today. The Giant Bomb Quick Look sold me in the end, along with the impressions you guys have had.

Here's to some stealthy fun.

giant bomb rant....
I love giant bomb. I watch the quick plays of games I have no interest in just because I love their commentary and the overall vibe when they play.

This was actually the first giant bomb I really didn't enjoy at all. There was absolutely no highlighting of the different play styles, he outright admitted he didn't like the originals and did like conviction, and then proceeded to play it completely on the ground, linear, kill everyone. It was a very very poor showcasing of the game. Very little exploring for different entry points or anything like that. He just assumed the door in front of him must be the way.

This is a particular problem I have with games in general, and maybe I'm becoming the minority. Everything is laid out right in front of you. Jump over this waist high cover, kill guard, go in door straight in front of you, kill these 3 guys, go through door at opposite end of room. This is how the game was more or less presented in the playthrough, and its exactly opposite of what is available (even if its only a minor amount).

He played the game exactly how SC 'purist' lets say would baulk at. If i had no knowledge of the game, after viewing his playthrough I would have assumed it was basically conviction again, which isn't QUITE the case... There was no cat and mouse showcase (he would literally stay in the same positions where he had been spotted instead of using the nonlinear level design to flank the enemies. There has been a decent amount of good reform here and there in blacklist, but damn that playthrough was painful in so many ways.

And don't even get me started on the SvM showcase at the end... my lord what have they done to SvM.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok, I went for the eshop version in the end. Game doesn't seem to have download codes for 3rd parties. So one more Wii U player coming up (game downloading now - by tomorrow morning should be done). My NNID is kingsssnake, feel free to add me to your friends.

DrBo42

God, this game could be soooo much better with a few tweaks. Really enjoying the third level right now but the Night Vision goggles are absolutely useless.

Since the indicator on your back tells you absolutely nothing, I'm forced to not be in Night Vision goggles when sneaking by because being in NV mode makes it impossible to judge your stealth level

That and some animation tweaks to the controls would elevate this game much higher.

This just isn't true. Sounds like you need to adjust your brightness.

Pyronite

giant bomb rant....
I love giant bomb. I watch the quick plays of games I have no interest in just because I love their commentary and the overall vibe when they play.

This was actually the first giant bomb I really didn't enjoy at all. There was absolutely no highlighting of the different play styles, he outright admitted he didn't like the originals and did like conviction, and then proceeded to play it completely on the ground, linear, kill everyone. It was a very very poor showcasing of the game. Very little exploring for different entry points or anything like that. He just assumed the door in front of him must be the way.

I totally see all of that and there were complaints in the Giant Bomb comments that were similar. I think it shone through just how much better the game could be played than he was playing it. The fact that it was really possible to avoid confrontations, use the level design against enemies, etc., came through even if he was brute forcing through things. That's what sold me on buying the game right now.

(And yeah, Quick Looks are generally awesome. I have no idea how many games they've sold me on just because I could see them really being played.)

Just beat it. Abrupt ending, but a lot of fun. Best SC since Chaos Theory and maybe better than Pandora Tomorrow. What a ride. I loved being able to play whatever way I wanted - sometimes I did pure stealth, sometimes I mowed fuckers down like a badass. Hell of a game in the end, although I'm still not sold on new Sam. Kobin is excellent.

Onikaan

TDM has glorious moments.

Every other moment is smeared in turd. I guess you just got to have fun and not take it too seriously because in the small amount of time I put into it, I saw some class A nonsense.

I still don't understand how the game decides who gets the knife in first. Had a game earlier when a spy literally went from one kill to the next, knifing his way through a corridor of my team mates. Bear in mind I was a spy too, and was waiting for him to come off the killing animation, mashing X frantically, but that still wasn't enough. I had to quit for a while after that.

Infuriating.

Danny 117

agreed!! Far more balanced and even more tense imo.

I also love classic SvM mode. :D

One thing I would say (in general) is DON'T run. It annoys me when I have a teammate beside me that is running to the objective as you appear on the merc motion tracker when you run, you don't when you crouch walk.

Loving the game as a whole. Better than DA/PT but below CT.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I grabbed this tonight just to check it out... messing around with SP a bit.

Don't like it really at all. Don't like the way Sam feels moving through the environment. Don't like the camera. Oh well. Went in with pretty tempered expectations and still disappointed. From videos I thought I was going to enjoy moving Sam through the environment, but I honestly really don't. He feels too light.. it all feels just wrong. And I had a pretty open mind to it coming in (not even bothered by the new Sam) just not feeling it at all.

Gaz_RB

Close to end of game spoilers:

I was Briggs that whole time?

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

Edit:
End game spoilers:

Shitty boss fight at the end. Game would have been perfect if it had just stuck with the wide open levels and multiple paths. So much amazing stealth, but they just had to put a small amount of bullshit AAA sequences throughout. Enjoyed it as a whole though. And all the side missions make up for it.

Don't like it really at all. Don't like the way Sam feels moving through the environment. Don't like the camera. Oh well. Went in with pretty tempered expectations and still disappointed. From videos I thought I was going to enjoy moving Sam through the environment, but I honestly really don't. He feels too light.. it all feels just wrong. And I had a pretty open mind to it coming in (not even bothered by the new Sam) just not feeling it at all.

I felt the same way at first, especially on the plane, but it starts to fit as you get used to it. I was mid way playing through the HD compilation on PS3 again so I'll be all fucked heading back to it.

What Platformer are you playing on?

I played part of a side mission yesterday, and exited after a checkpoint. I would have thought that the next time I play the mission I would start after the checkpoint? What gives?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The thing that has me scratching my head is his really inappropriate movement speed. Especially walking. There's no slow walk (while standing). It's like he's late for work or something. Forces you to crouch, and then the crouch feels super janky compared to Chaos Theory.

Using cover has never really been that great in any SC game, but at least in CT you could lean against the wall while standing. This game, you're forced into a crouch, sometimes when it's not appropriate.

And the lack of variable moment speed on the analog is what just kills it. This game looked so smooth in the videos, playing it feels like jank city. Really surprised.

I'll probably give it another go a bit later, but first impression is not good.

What Platformer are you playing on?

PS3.

edit: btw I'm not trying to shit on the game...I love SC. I'm just giving my first impressions.

Sober

Now every level has a room of about 20 bad guys and its damn near impossible to get through a mission without killing anybody (that includes non-lethal takedowns because it's really the same as killing someone) and not being seen.
If you want tense, then play without using the cover-to-cover system and just walk/run as is. You can also back to cover if you want. The enemy count is not that ridiculous that it ever seemed a problem. I didn't full ghost it on Realistic but I did finish the game pretty much not using cover-to-cover for navigation as mostly ghost and it makes it more tense since you don't have free movement points when moving normally.

Close to end of game spoilers:

I was Briggs that whole time?

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

Edit:
End game spoilers:

Shitty boss fight at the end. Game would have been perfect if it had just stuck with the wide open levels and multiple paths. So much amazing stealth, but they just had to put a small amount of bullshit AAA sequences throughout. Enjoyed it as a whole though. And all the side missions make up for it.
Haha, totally didn't realize that. Actually that's pretty awesome. Last level was pretty good
except the last sequence but yeah. QTEs are shitty

Most of the levels could've used less "amg action movie" parts but they were pretty quick I guess.
Mexico I dunno, felt like it was training mode for the horde mode

Also holy fuck soloing the assault/Charlie co-op missions are hard as hell.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That Kobin first side-mission. *wipe sweat off brow* Whew, thank god once you pick the secondary objectives up you're good for that mission forever. I had to restart and completely blow through it a second time for like 2 hours after fucking up trying to save the laptop and not get detected. Once you know that you can basically just run through the entire thing pretty easy melee with maybe a few opportunity to use shock/sleep gas equipments for double-bagging two as a ghost.

So that leaves the question of:

How the fuck are you supposed to ghost the Tech Nerds mission and since the CIA dude's missions are co-op only, I should probably skip those on my no-kill playthrough, yeah? Nothing comes from him in terms of unlocks, yeah?

That Kobin first side-mission. *wipe sweat off brow* Whew, thank god once you pick the secondary objectives up you're good for that mission forever. I had to restart and completely blow through it a second time for like 2 hours after fucking up trying to save the laptop and not get detected. Once you know that you can basically just run through the entire thing pretty easy melee with maybe a few opportunity to use shock/sleep gas equipments for double-bagging two as a ghost.

How the fuck are you supposed to ghost the Tech Nerds mission and since the CIA dude's missions are co-op only, I should probably skip those on my no-kill playthrough, yeah? Nothing comes from him in terms of unlocks, yeah?

I still can't get that laptop -_-

Gaz_RB

Haha, totally didn't realize that. Actually that's pretty awesome. Last level was pretty good
except the last sequence but yeah. QTEs are shitty

Most of the levels could've used less "amg action movie" parts but they were pretty quick I guess.
Mexico I dunno, felt like it was training mode for the horde mode

Also holy fuck soloing the assault/Charlie co-op missions are hard as hell.

Yeah the action parts were actually not as bad as I thought they would be, especially since I was playing through as a Sam that took out his unsilenced assault rifle whenever someone saw him, never resetting checkpoints but mostly stealth. Just wish I could check a box during my perfectionist replay that says "no action movie parts". The last mission was freaking sweet
except the boss. At least it was kinda stealthy right?
And I forgot I turned off music so the whole last sequence was really awkward haha.

Charlie's missions are really awesome I think. Hard as hell, but that's how I like it.

PS Endgame spoiler:
American Dust DLC where the twelve countries backing Blacklist attack?

Sober

Charlie missions are hard as fuck to solo, I was trying to do a Panther run with a mix of stealth/assault gear but it ended poorly (was trying to max panther points). Ghost might be easier if you just crossbow a bunch of shit and abuse the ammo boxes though. By mastering ghost on Kobin/Charlie levels they are pretty much all enemies x ghost KO score (per difficulty) so they really are just KO-fests, one is just sandbox area with reinforcements and the other is sandbox with waves (the charlie missions are rather elaborate as well to be completely fair).

They actually have secondary objectives, (no HVTs though), but as far as I can tell the first Charlie mission (Yemen) the dead drop is gated so you have to wait for a guard to spawn from that section to open that area to pick it up.

Gaz_RB

since the CIA dude's missions are co-op only, I should probably skip those on my no-kill playthrough, yeah? Nothing comes from him in terms of unlocks, yeah?

Completing Briggs missions unlocks the Revenant suit, which looks badass and is on my assault loadout.

I also love classic SvM mode. :D

One thing I would say (in general) is DON'T run. It annoys me when I have a teammate beside me that is running to the objective as you appear on the merc motion tracker when you run, you don't when you crouch walk.

Loving the game as a whole. Better than DA/PT but below CT.

I have a tendency to do that, patience is not a virtue of mine and that's a bad thing in this game lol.

Alcoholica

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems with the game crashing? Seems to be only when doing co-op missions it freezes my xbox. Three times now I've frozen towards the middle/end of maps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I still can't get that laptop -_-

Just go for it. After taking out every dude around that area (you should be to the "north" of the laptop, since it'll face you "south" of it), hit the cover near the camera on the left. Climb over and quickly hack it. If you do it right, the hack notifacation will pop-up as well as an auto-save. Restart check-point because you'll be detected but if you restart the checkpoint won't count your detection (got Perfection Mastery of Ghost on it) at all but will count you as getting the laptop. If you want you can even check in Shadownet or the Smart Glass Intelligence thingy if you abandon mission.

Completing Briggs missions unlocks the Revenant suit, which looks badass and is on my assault loadout.

Assault. Yuck.

Charlie missions are hard as fuck to solo, I was trying to do a Panther run with a mix of stealth/assault gear but it ended poorly (was trying to max panther points). Ghost might be easier if you just crossbow a bunch of shit and abuse the ammo boxes though. By mastering ghost on Kobin/Charlie levels they are pretty much all enemies x ghost KO score (per difficulty) so they really are just KO-fests, one is just sandbox area with reinforcements and the other is sandbox with waves (the charlie missions are rather elaborate as well to be completely fair).

They actually have secondary objectives, (no HVTs though), but as far as I can tell the first Charlie mission (Yemen) the dead drop is gated so you have to wait for a guard to spawn from that section to open that area to pick it up.

There was a HVT in Kobin's first one, but then restarting the mission he counts as a normal enemy. *shrug* As far as Kobin's missions are concerned, it seems you want to ghost them completely for the easier time. It's Charlie's missions that are giving me fits because three-five enemies at a time are coming around and I can't pick them off as a Ghost. It's making me wonder if I should Panther it but I'm wondering if Panthering it will have them detect me.

If I could just survive five waves of that undetected, I'd be in business.

As for SvM: My major issue with SvM is that I can't explore the levels on my own time to get to know the spy routes. There's overhead routes that I've seen people use, but I have no clue how to reach them since I'm in the middle of a match.

Gaz_RB

Actually no guards spawn at that gate, to get the dead drop, you have to jump out the window by the laptop and shimmy around and above the gate.

FrsDvl

I really need a co-op ghost focused partner. If you are that person, send Krappadizzle on a Steam/uplay an invite.

I am! I'll be playing in about an hour maybe hour and a half if you want to have some coop games! I got a mic. My uplay is PsychobillyFrs

I always aim to ghost all missions.

Top Bottom