• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Bread said:
So I bought this yesterday for about 5 bucks from Gamestop using a coupon I had, and I feel like I wasted my money already. This black and white shit just makes the game unplayable, whose fucking idea was it to make the environments almost indistinguishable from each other? I can almost never find doors or places to climb because everything is impossible to see.

This game just makes me want to go back and play Chaos Theory, because this is a fucking embarrassment to the series.

Hmmm I got this for 10$ brand new and havnt opened it yet, im sure ill get my moneys worth. Theres split screen co-op right?

I liked the game but the annoying action scenes made me mad. Specially at the end with all those Splinter Cell guys and soldiers bum rushing you at the same time. *sigh*

asside from one really really embarrassing level...... (you all know the one..) i thought the gameplay was allright. Not what it used to be, but as a game on its own, it was fine. Not full price though.

Co-op is fucking great though.

Grisby

:/ I had 4 games of regular Spinter Cell gameplay. I was ready for a change.

Conviction is an awesome step forward for the series with very tight controls and action. Combined with the solid sp story (a first for the series really) and a great co-op campaign makes for a super happy fun time game. Deniable Ops was some of the best gaming around too.

I loved it. I also want to say that some of the camera work and the interrogation scenes are some of the best I've seen in a game. Hell, the whole presentation (such as the words lighting up on the walls) was super slick.

Game was worth 60 to me. Anybody picking this up for 10 got a great deal.

I got this a few weeks ago on an awesome trade deal (traded kameo and some XBLA compilation and paid $1) - very good game.

I wasn't a massive fan of previous splinter cell games - however they were by far the best of the Tom Clancy/sim-military/stealth games I'd played. I think the game had a few missteps - the most prominent being action setpieces that resulted in generic third person shooter moments. I never hated any of these - and I thoroughly enjoyed the desert mission, but there's little doubt it was out of place in a Splinter Cell game and broke the pacing and mechanics for one mission.

I think the cover system was damn near perfect and I prefer it to the Gears system, however the fact that it uses the left trigger means no iron sights and an awkward zoom with right stick. The cutscenes and 'projector' effect on the environment were fantastic - I'm shocked that other games haven't ripped it's style yet. The interrogations were enjoyable the first few times and then it became a bit arbitrary - it may have been better if there was a simple QTE in there occasionally (link a successful attempt to an achievement/Uplay rather than mission fail) to prevent the inevitable grab, press B after each time the victim tells you to get fucked, repeat 3 times. There were some impressive interrogations here and there but it got old quickly.

Probably the worst part of the game was the supreme accuracy of an upgraded pistol and unlimited ammo. There were several moments when I was in trouble that I sprayed a clip killed a whole group in an instant despite 4 of them holding full automatic rifles. It seemed like an easy way out and though I'd like to have never done it and utilized the stealth aspect more, it felt unavoidable in some areas. This combined with most of the equipment either feeling useless/novelty or activating easy mode (Portable EMP was incredible), meant that many areas that had various approaches turned into little more than corridor shooting for me.

Haven't had a chance to play co-op yet and the online play looks lackluster so I'm done with the game until a friend wants to co-op. Overall very enjoyable and I look forward to the next game in the series.

RedSwirl

I don't know if I've posted in this thread before, but Conviction didn't turn out quite as bad as I thought it would. In the end it feels like Chaos Theory's little brother.

It follows the same basic rules of that game, and I actually like how they streamlined the controls (except for mark and execute). The only big problem with Conviction is that the levels were too linear and too small compared to CT. I just didn't feel like I had enough options most of the time in the new game.

snap0212

Found the Collector's Edition in the bargain bin a week ago, thought „why not?“ and purchased it. I've always wanted to play it, but my backlog was huge when the game came out so I skipped on it. Overall, it was a pretty great experience. I didn't like the
Iraq
level one bit, but it was short enough to not ruin my experience.

I've tried to play Co-Op with a random person over Live, but he was constantly dying and eventually just rage quit before we could even finish the first mission. I definitely want to finish the Co-Op Story as well so if anyone is interested, send me a message on Live. My GT is Snap0212.

Bread said:
So I bought this yesterday for about 5 bucks from Gamestop using a coupon I had, and I feel like I wasted my money already. This black and white shit just makes the game unplayable, whose fucking idea was it to make the environments almost indistinguishable from each other? I can almost never find doors or places to climb because everything is impossible to see.

This game just makes me want to go back and play Chaos Theory, because this is a fucking embarrassment to the series.

Black and white is enough to ruin this game, never mind the myriad other problems. I don't think I could even play Chaos Theory if it was in black and white 75% of the time, and that game is a perfect 10.

revolverjgw said:
Black and white is enough to ruin this game, never mind the myriad other problems. I don't think I could even play Chaos Theory if it was in black and white 75% of the time, and that game is a perfect 10.
I dunno I was never really bother by the black and white mechanic. It made sense in the context of what was being done.

Jhoan

snap0212 said:
Found the Collector's Edition in the bargain bin a week ago, thought „why not?“ and purchased it. I've always wanted to play it, but my backlog was huge when the game came out so I skipped on it. Overall, it was a pretty great experience. I didn't like the
Iraq
level one bit, but it was short enough to not ruin my experience.

I've tried to play Co-Op with a random person over Live, but he was constantly dying and eventually just rage quit before we could even finish the first mission. I definitely want to finish the Co-Op Story as well so if anyone is interested, send me a message on Live. My GT is Snap0212.

Yeah
Iraq was so boring; it was a straight forward shooting gallery.
I don't know why people hate this game so much. I enjoyed the game for what was and the portable EMP is awesome. I never got bored of using the melee moves even if the Five-Seven pistol is the best gun for it's most M&E marks. The co-op maps and campaign are pretty awesome too. I never got bothered by the black and white filter either and the cover system was pretty damn good. And for 15 bucks which I got on sale last Black Friday at Best Buy, I can't complain. Although unlocking the SC-3000 early was pretty lame; I thought it was a unique gun but it turns out you get later on in the game.

I'll be down to play with you and use a mic if you want. My GT's Johan El Fuerte. I'll send you a message if anything. I also have the DLC maps, but since you just bought it, I highly doubt you have it and I would suggest you wait until it's on sale because 800MSP for roughly 5 new maps across 3 modes is too steep (I got them at 400MSP) although the maps are awesome in terms of appearance and design.

_RT_

Dabanton said:
Yes their is.

Game is great imo.

Agreed. I actually ended up playing through it twice within two weeks. I haven't done that since the first Portal.

I love the franchise.

XPE

I got the game for the PC at 98p you cant go wrong =D

Over all I enjoyed the game, a good mix of stealth and action.

bigace33

I don't get the hate for this game. It's a top quality game. Granted the enemy ai is beyond stupid, but I think the game is awesome. Also has some amazing graphics to boot. For 5 or 10 dollars this game is a steal.

bigace33 said:
I don't get the hate for this game. It's a top quality game. Granted the enemy ai is beyond stupid, but I think the game is awesome. Also has some amazing graphics to boot. For 5 or 10 dollars this game is a steal.

Good to hear

Whats the length of the single player and co-op. Debating which to play first.

single player can be tackled in a day even on the hardest difficulty. Game is so awesome though. Hell, even the menus are fucking awesome. The co-op is fucking great too (probably around 3-4 hours for co-op and 5-6 for sp)

Erasus

Just got this on PC.

I now realise why some people hate PC gaming.

1. Started up with a black screen, had to reinstall to fix it.

2. Performance is abysmal, what where they doing to this port? I am running
Athlon X2 7750 2.7GHZ
4GB RAM
ATI 4830 512MB

This is about the recommended specs
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/5...ll-Conviction-PC-System-Requirements-Revealed

So why the FUCK AM I GETTING 15-30FPS ON MEDIUM/LOW? WHY?
AA is off. Ambient is off. Soft shadows on medium. Reflections on. 1280x720 (looks like ass on my monitor)
50fps in an empty room. Going out in the open just hits me with 17fps across the face when enemies move around.

Awesome idea to use Unreal Engine 2.5 and then bolt on modern shaders.

Anyone else having this problem?

Erasus said:
Just got this on PC.

Athlon X2 7750 2.7GHZ
4GB RAM
ATI 4830 512MB

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/5...ll-Conviction-PC-System-Requirements-Revealed

AA is off. Ambient is off. Soft shadows on medium. Reflections on. 1280x720 (looks like ass on my monitor)
50fps in an empty room. Going out in the open just hits me with 17fps across the face when enemies move around.

When in doubt, DriverCleaner and reinstall video drivers. I say this after banging my head against the wall with 22 FPS in Dawn of War on a GTX460 i5-2500k machine. Did the above, all is solved.

Was very LTTP on this as I'm more a fan of Chaos Theory, so once I saw all the new weirdness I ignored it. But much later, once I gave the game a real chance on its own merits I fell completely in love. Its a great, great game.

The co-op missions are also very well done. I wouldn't mind more of this at all.

While I enjoyed Conviction for what it was (an attempt to lure in new players to the franchise), I'm hoping they return to SC's roots in SC6. I want Sam back w/ Third Echelon and more stealth. Basically, I want a proper sequel to Chaos Theory, as both Double Agent and Conviction did different things w/ the series than the first 3 titles.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Did anyone mod out the retarded black and white bullshit in co-op for the PC version?

Veal

The only thing that really kept me away from this game was Ubi asinine DRM scheme. I can deal with uplay, but that having to be connected at all times had to be one of the dumbest moves I've seen in video games. And I'm a Sega fan!

Great game btw! How did Sam end up getting much younger looking as the series progressed? I thought that was one of the things they wanted to drive home about his character?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ubisoft better announce the next game this E3, I really like the conspiracy setting they put on Conviction, next game will be really interesting.

I was scared of not liking it at first, but it was really awesome.

kuYuri

Erasus said:
Just got this on PC.

Athlon X2 7750 2.7GHZ
4GB RAM
ATI 4830 512MB

Sounds like something is wrong somewhere. I have:

9505 Quad Core
GTX 560 TI
4 GB RAM
Everything on High, 4xAA,1920x1080

Runs flawlessly, 55+ fps in most situations.

kamspy

NullPointer said:
Was very LTTP on this as I'm more a fan of Chaos Theory, so once I saw all the new weirdness I ignored it. But much later, once I gave the game a real chance on its own merits I fell completely in love. Its a great, great game.

The co-op missions are also very well done. I wouldn't mind more of this at all.

Same here.

Corto

Just to leave my feedback that I'm also completely in love with the game. I'm just 3 hours in but I couldn't stop playing it and currently for me to have a 3 hours gaming session is really unusual... Hope it maintains the momentum.

TheBear

Is there a way to turn off the shitty voiceovers fomr the enemies? Their ridiculous amount of swearing and carrying on like douchebags is a detriment to the game.

1-D_FTW

Strider2K99 said:
Sounds like something is wrong somewhere. I have:

9505 Quad Core
GTX 560 TI
4 GB RAM
Everything on High, 4xAA,1920x1080

Runs flawlessly, 55+ fps in most situations.

Which is superior in every way. Game doesn't need more than 2GB RAM, but when you crank it up, it definitely gives my GTX 460 a good workout and my Intel Q9400 overclocked to around 3.4Ghz constantly has one core over 3Ghz, another getting a very good workout, and the other two (if I remember right), around 40-50 percent load. A dual core, AMD, at those clock speeds is most definitely going to be a problem for him. Don't know anything about the GPU, but considering it ends in 30, I'm guessing it's not that great.

bigjimmystyle said:
Is there a way to turn off the shitty voiceovers fomr the enemies? Their ridiculous amount of swearing and carrying on like douchebags is a detriment to the game.

Deniable Ops is really noticeable. It seems like there's only a couple lines and it loops over and over until you kill them all.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Bread said:

I couldn't agree more. Worst bargain bin buy ever.

Salazar

Grabbed this off Steam.

Anybody else unable to get it to launch ?

I got to the point where I entered the key, but now it just refuses every time to launch even a little bit.

Oh, a Uplay window comes up, but clicking on PLAY! does nothing at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone have any luck with multiplayer in the PC version? A friend and I both picked it up on Steam and multiplayer simply does not work at all. If we attempt to connect to each others rooms, it will always fail. When selecting matchmaking, it will attempt to join a game, but ultimately just sit there searching. Is there something I have to configure on my router?

The Stealth Fox

dark10x said:
Anyone have any luck with multiplayer in the PC version? A friend and I both picked it up on Steam and multiplayer simply does not work at all. If we attempt to connect to each others rooms, it will always fail. When selecting matchmaking, it will attempt to join a game, but ultimately just sit there searching. Is there something I have to configure on my router?

You and your buddy have to manually forward the ports on your routers. I was having the same problem and then we both forwarded all of these ports.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7211014258/m/3231025758

It's 2.99 today at amazon.

This is the best price for people interested to jump into the game, apologize for the old bump but i think its justified.

Levyne

Banned
I said this in the "How was Conviction" thread...but pick this game up especially if you have someone to play with 2 player story and deniable ops are fun as hell.

Man, we've still heard nothing on a sequel, which is sorta disappointing. I really enjoyed this game. I just hope a sequel takes the great parts of this game and adds in a lot of what made the previous games so enjoyable.

Jtrizzy

Just playing this for the first time, along with Alan Wake this was a game I always wished had come to PS3. Now I have a nice PC to play it on and I really like it. I will say that even though I wish the button layout was customizable, I think this shits on the Uncharted games in every way with regard to basic movement and mechanics.

I've always wished that series had a crouch toggle, so I could play it more at my own pace. I also like how you don't feel stuck to cover in this, and the aiming and movement are also far superior. The bullets don't feel like they have much impact, but a lot of that seems to be because of the bad death animations.

I'm sure part of all this is that I'm playing at a super smooth frame rate and with a 360 controller, but this feels like a far superior game mechanically.

I do hate the black and white shit though, it brings down an otherwise fantastic game, and it seems like it could be turned off with no real effect on game play.

I hope they realize how annoying it is to replay this game with all the unskippable dialogue scenes, and fancy camera tricks with the words lighting up the environment. Yeah, it's nice the first time, but for the loe of God just think about the people that actually play the campaign more than once.

Jb

I wish there was a button to crouch in Uncharted. What is so crazy about that?

From reading your post it's not really clear if you're comparing Conviction to previous SC games or to Uncharted (which is also a bit weird as they're usually considered to belong to different genres).

Jtrizzy

My point is that they are both 3rd person shooters. Yes one is stealth and the other more of a shooter, but they have the same basic mechanics. I think the basic stuff like aiming and movement are way better in this game and with Uncharted handled in a similar manner.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I do hate the black and white shit though, it brings down an otherwise fantastic game, and it seems like it could be turned off with no real effect on game play.

So that's still there even on the PC version? Damn...

I rented this on 360 but barely played a level before sending it back. I'm an old school Splinter Cell fan and just wasn't feeling it.

However, I picked it up for cheap during the Steam winter sale and I'm diggin' it now. Far from perfect but a lot of fun for what it is.

So now I'm wondering... are the deniable ops modes any fun to play single player?

PhiLonius

I rented this on 360 but barely played a level before sending it back. I'm an old school Splinter Cell fan and just wasn't feeling it.

However, I picked it up for cheap during the Steam winter sale and I'm diggin' it now. Far from perfect but a lot of fun for what it is.

So now I'm wondering... are the deniable ops modes any fun to play single player?

Yes. I actually liked it way more than the main SP.

Picking this game up tomorrow. I skipped it when it first came out. I got a weird itch to play as Sam Fisher again. Ill let you all know my thoughts. Last Splinter Cell game I played was Double Agent.

Top Bottom