• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

kuYuri

Neuromancer said:
I guess we are done with free content Thursdays, I've used up all my PEC points (which I had maxed out.) Well it was a good run.

Really? I still have quite a bit of PEC points left, although I never got the SCAR-H or SPAS-12.

Anyway, yeah, The free content is over as of last week.

markatisu

Just started playing this last night. Only thing I dont like is how if you kill 1 person hand to hand you get a 2 execute option, but if you kill 2 people hand to hand consecutively you still only get 2 execute. I was hoping you could build up and use them all on the bigger areas where there are more people to kill

Pooya

markatisu said:
Just started playing this last night. Only thing I dont like is how if you kill 1 person hand to hand you get a 2 execute option, but if you kill 2 people hand to hand consecutively you still only get 2 execute. I was hoping you could build up and use them all on the bigger areas where there are more people to kill
It depends on which weapon you have equipped, one of the pistols has 4 M&E points (the maximum number), SMGs have less.

markatisu

miladesn said:
It depends on which weapon you have equipped, one of the pistols has 4 M&E points (the maximum number), SMGs have less.

Cool, thanks for that info. I was using an SMG so that is probably why I only got 2

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Playing through this now. I like it a lot but it does have a few flaws. The shooting doesn't work well imo, it feels like the shooting of a stealth game, which doesn't work well when you're in a firefight which you can't avoid
like in Robertsons office
, when you need the shooting of an action game.

oatmeal

Banned
Going to the last level:

White House

This game is short, but goddamnit, it's awesome.

Graphics are great, missions are, for the most part, great. I didn't love the 'get seen, and it's over' thing...but other than that it's great.

Combat controls are really strong as well.

Playing on Realistic, btw.

Ken Masters said:
LOL @ anyone who calls this a stealth game too.
So Ubi Montreal thinks the best way to end a game and make it seem "epic" is to throw a million enemies at you non stop until you reach the corny and predictable ending? Nothing more then poor game design. I found myself forcing myself to finish the final 1/3 of this game.
The majority of the levels can be completed without firing a single shot or being detected, so i guess you can call it an stealth game. However the game features more opposition than previous Cells, so it is a bit more difficult to pass through undetected. But, the fact that Ubi Montreal improved the shooting mechanics doesnt mean you have to play it like Gears of War.

Insertia said:
Completed it yesterday.
Disappointing but fun sums it up.

Overall it was the same thing over and over for 6 or 7 hours which isn't cool considering how on rails the game is and the poor AI. Minus the Lincoln Memorial, every level was set to repeat. Got really bad towards the end.
Can't say i agree with the AI comment. The AI isn't "smart", but it doesn't need to be in this game. On the contrary, it is well executed.

NinjaFridge said:
The shooting doesn't work well imo, it feels like the shooting of a stealth game, which doesn't work well when you're in a firefight which you can't avoid
like in Robertsons office
, when you need the shooting of an action game.
The shooting works perfectly in the context of the game. For the kind of situations you describe theres the M&E. In fact its so well implemented that its been assimilated in other games. Ubisoft deserves credit for that.

ZealousD said:
Anybody trying to play this like the older Splinter Cell games won't like it. Anybody trying to play it like a traditional shooter won't like it. Throw away your preconceived notions, find out what works, and you'll have a blast.
Exellent job Zealus summing up the essense of the game in 1 paragraph. Although the part regarding the old SC games doesnt apply to my case since thats exactly the way i played conviction.

And yes the games plot its a putrid pile of feces

oatmeal

Banned
Just finished it on REALISTIC.

Wow, what a great game. I really enjoyed it.

It's a lot like Uncharted in the way it tells the story and has you walk through story bits.

Very cool...

Need to get some Co-Op into me.

oatmeal

Banned
Wow...this is the longest credit sequence ever.

It's silent...text on black...just scrollin' away.

HOLY SHIT END ALREADY :lol

How is this one on PC? I thought of getting it on 360 but it RROD-ed... I heard performance isn't all that on PC.
And how is co-op part of the game?

Is there anyway to get the Third Echelon map? I tried the Gamespot thing, but since I'm in Canada, it said I couldn't get it. I tried uPlay a few weeks back, but I never got the map. I've played through all the maps that came with the game with my cousin and we're itching for some new ones, so I'm gonna DL the Insurgency pack, and we wanna try Third Echelon. Is it still possible to get? Also, those free Thursday DLC things, can I still get those?

kuYuri

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Is there anyway to get the Third Echelon map? I tried the Gamespot thing, but since I'm in Canada, it said I couldn't get it. I tried uPlay a few weeks back, but I never got the map. I've played through all the maps that came with the game with my cousin and we're itching for some new ones, so I'm gonna DL the Insurgency pack, and we wanna try Third Echelon. Is it still possible to get? Also, those free Thursday DLC things, can I still get those?

Free DLC is still there for you to unlock.

For Third Echelon map, maybe using a proxy will work?

Wish I had a friend who picked Conviction up. I played through the campaign several times and loved it. Unfortunately I never really got to get into any of the Co-Op modes because I didn't really have anyone to play with.

Wow so I picked up my copy when Ubisoft listed the price as $1 on their online store. I finally got around to installing it and it just won't run at all. I emailed Ubisoft and this was their reply:

Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use on laptops, as indicated in the minimum requirements listed on the bottom of the game's box and on our FAQ. You can try updating the drivers for your video card with the laptop manufacturer which may resolve the problem, but we will be unable to provide further assistance with running the game on unsupported hardware configurations. The only official recommendation that we can make would be for you to install and play the game on a system that does meet all of those minimum requirements on the box. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Not supporting laptops at all? I mean what the fuck Ubisoft.

Jhoan

I picked it up yesterday. It's pretty good. It remind of Batman: AA and Assassin's Creed although I've played the original Splinter Cell only so I'm familiar with the characters and the world. Does anybody still play play this game online?

CozMick

Banned
Looking to pick this up on Games on Demand, does the co-op require a HDD like Halo Reach?

I have two 16gb official storage devices and 4gb internal but Reach co-op is a no go.

Hope you can help, thanks :D

Anybody think this will come to PS3 next year [EDIT: Duh! This year!]? What with the Splinter Cell Trilogy coming to PlayStation, it kinda makes sense, right?

soldat7 said:
My friend and I also picked this up for the co-op. Can't wait to start playing.

Did they ever release any substantial DLC?
They released an extra level pack for co-op. It's pretty good, if you like the co-op from the main game you can't go wrong.

This fucking game. I swear, this doesn't feel like a serious retooling so much as it feels like a half-baked plan B still in demo stage when plan A proved too ambitious. So yeah, it's cool to be this genuinely capable elite dude (in the past, the lack of hand-to-hand combat skills were puzzling to say the least), and the mark and execute moves are cool enough, but they have gone way overboard, considering that you pretty much never even get the chance to not kill someone. It's like god damn Kratos or something, only the enemies swear a whole lot more. "you think you can beat me, Fisher! You asshole!" after I've QTE-murdered eight of his identical buddies flawlessly. Then again, the a.i. generally feels pretty shitbrained so I guess that fits.

And the light/dark thing is fucked beyond belief. Not only is the BW thing fucktarded in the head, but the lights do not make sense. Spread and reach is fucked, and also fucked are those mysteriously lit areas without reasonable light sources.

Worth noting is that I played Batman AA immediately before playing this, and that hasn't made things better.

Does the story get good?

mf.luder

I really enjoy the Splinter Cell series but I felt that Conviction was a little too easy. Within a few levels I was able to upgrade my silenced pistol and could tag 4 enemies by stealth killing 1. Most of the time, this was very easily done.

I hope Ubisoft isn't done with the series and that the next instance makes me love it as much as Pandora Tomorrow.

DSc

AltogetherAndrews said:
If it's another one like this, then I'll pass on even trying it. This is horrible.

Really? Granted it was nothing like the predecessors but I wouldn't say it was horrible.

It was a totally different direction, and perhaps one better saved for another franchise/new IP, but once I got it in my head that it was a cover-based shooter with gadgets rather than a stealth game, it kinda clicked with me.

I do hope that the next Splinter Cell reverts back to traditional gameplay, but I'd like to see Ubisoft or someone else continue with something like this in another way. Imagine a Bourne or 24 game done like this. That would be incredible.

DSc said:
Really? Granted it was nothing like the predecessors but I wouldn't say it was horrible.

It was a totally different direction, and perhaps one better saved for another franchise/new IP, but once I got it in my head that it was a cover-based shooter with gadgets rather than a stealth game, it kinda clicked with me.

I do hope that the next Splinter Cell reverts back to traditional gameplay, but I'd like to see Ubisoft or someone else continue with something like this in another way. Imagine a Bourne or 24 game done like this. That would be incredible.

It's a hell of a lot better than the Bourne game I played, but the game has issues. It's horrible in the same way that Invisible War was horrible, and there are things here that have been plenty nuked from CT. The light/dark thing is, as I mentioned, fucked beyond repair, and Ubisoft needs to god damn work on the fucking NPC voice work. It's been stupid like this for ages, and it seems to be another legacy problem with everything Ubi, much like shitforbrains enemies.

I don't think it needed to be a new franchise, and the idea of making Sam more lethal in actual combat encounters is sound considering how useless he was in previous games, but they missed the golden middle by a half mile. Instead you have a Bourne-imitation by Kratos himself, and in a seriously rough package. At the very least, this should perform beautifully and look amazing, and they fucked up even that. It's borderline remarkable.

Alright, at least now it's a decent action game. Finally. It's a shame that Ubi just can not fucking design A.I., as that would probably make it a good, and maybe even at times a great, action game. It's better in Deniable Ops, since that's sort of built around the idea of idiotic Splinter Cell-fodder. But Sam kicking the shit out of Splinter Cells like it's no big deal, that's fucking lame.

I'm
taking care of generators
, and I still feel like I'm playing a tutorial. That's not cool.

03sho

Bought a 360 at Christmas and I completed this game earlier this month. The controls took time to get used to and the AI is kinda stupid but it was a very enjoyable game nevertheless.

So I go into the video settings and the max res available is 1280x720. Windows 7 64 bit here. What the hell? The stupid sign in protocol is bad enough, now I have to deal with this shit, Ubisoft?

Jumped back into this after leaving it alone for months. The more I play this the more I think this game would have been better of it didn't carry the Splinter Cell name. It's fun but is just so far from the franchise that it's almost an insult, especially from someone who played Chaos Theory TO DEATH.

I hope whenever Ubisoft decides to announce the sequel, they go back to their roots of the franchise. I do enjoy the presentation of it though, the cut-scenes that are part of the environments is fantastic!

ezekial45

Banned
Ok, i'm having some problems launching this game. There doesn't seem to be a launcher for the game. I downloaded it from the Ubisoft online store and it's all been downloaded, but the launcher seems to be hidden somewhere. I tried clicking on the Ubisoft game launcher, but it just says to "Please Start the game you want instead." WTF?

How do i launch the game? They made it more complicated then it needed to be. I just want to link it to Steam.

ezekial45

Banned
Sent said:
Ubisoft has their own launcher maybe?

Like i said in the post above, i click on the Ubisoft game launcher in the Ubisoft Game Launcher folder, but it just gives the message "Please Start the game you want instead."

I cannot find any other way to launch it. There is no launcher within the game's folder.

bigace33

ezekial45 said:
Anyone? This is really annoying.

I CANNOT FIND A WAY TO LAUNCH THE GAME!
If you're using windows 7 just click computer > program files (x86) and look for the ubisoft folder. Double click that and look for Conviction , once in the folder you should find a launcher of some sort some kind of .exe. I'm sure you already knew this though. :p

ezekial45

Banned
bigace33 said:
If you're using windows 7 just click computer > program files (x86) and look for the ubisoft folder. Double click that and look for Conviction , once in the folder you should find a launcher of some sort some kind of .exe. I'm sure you already knew this though. :p

Yes, i did. And there is nothing there like that.

EDIT: Ok, i found it. It was in the src folder. Sorta weird place to place it.

Got reminded of SCC in the Max Payne 3 thread, so decided to play through it again. Man, I really love this game. Very fun, fast-paced stuff. Love just running through areas laying waste to enemies so quickly. You really do feel badass.

But for the sequel, I do have a few things I hope they do:

Longer game, for one. I love SCC and like it's plot, but it's over very quickly. Along with that, I want more ways to accomplish the mission. Plus, add in some more stuff from previous games, like incapacitation, interrogating the guards in Sam's blackly humourous way, bit more stealthy. A really good balance between stealth and Conviction's awesome action-stealth thing would be appreciated. I hope they include abduction moves (like Uncharted 2) and carrying bodies as well. So build on the action-stealth foundation with a longer, bigger game and include more options for players, allowing them to be more stealthy if they so wish, or just be a Conviction-style badass if they wish.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Got reminded of SCC in the Max Payne 3 thread, so decided to play through it again. Man, I really love this game. Very fun, fast-paced stuff. Love just running through areas laying waste to enemies so quickly. You really do feel badass.

But for the sequel, I do have a few things I hope they do:

Longer game, for one. I love SCC and like it's plot, but it's over very quickly. Along with that, I want more ways to accomplish the mission. Plus, add in some more stuff from previous games, like incapacitation, interrogating the guards in Sam's blackly humourous way, bit more stealthy. A really good balance between stealth and Conviction's awesome action-stealth thing would be appreciated. I hope they include abduction moves (like Uncharted 2) and carrying bodies as well. So build on the action-stealth foundation with a longer, bigger game and include more options for players, allowing them to be more stealthy if they so wish, or just be a Conviction-style badass if they wish.

THIS! They should also look to Blood Stone for reference as the takedowns in Conviction are the opposite of stealth.

Loved Conviction overall though. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the direction they took the series.

Oh, and another thing: Better guard dialogue. Seriously... "You're gonna be the ghost of the museum, Fisher!" is just... really bad. At least the Third Echelon guys don't shout such idiotic yet hilarious things.

Bread

Banned
So I bought this yesterday for about 5 bucks from Gamestop using a coupon I had, and I feel like I wasted my money already. This black and white shit just makes the game unplayable, whose fucking idea was it to make the environments almost indistinguishable from each other? I can almost never find doors or places to climb because everything is impossible to see.

This game just makes me want to go back and play Chaos Theory, because this is a fucking embarrassment to the series.

Top Bottom