• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Sectus

druie said:
Has anyone purchased the DLC?

I got it yesterday, but it's not showing up in my game... I deleted the content and re-downloaded it... No luck. I also looked through every game mode in Deniable Ops, XBL, and Splitscreen. Pretty angry that it's not working after $10.
Did you try scrolling further down the map list? I was a bit confused at first too, since the map list didn't show anything new but then I realized you can scroll further down, and then voila, 4 new maps. It's an easy mistake to do since there are no scroll indicators.

kuYuri

Sectus said:
Did you try scrolling further down the map list? I was a bit confused at first too, since the map list didn't show anything new but then I realized you can scroll further down, and then voila, 4 new maps. It's an easy mistake to do since there are no scroll indicators.

Yeah, this. It's an easy mistake to make.

I was doing all Last Stand maps with a friend some weeks back and he was hosting. He was telling me we have one more map left to do, so I check the list and scroll down. I'm like "no dude, we have like 6 more to do. You didn't scroll down the list." :lol

So they put in the P99, but I can't add a damn silencer to it?

I know it's free and all, but come on, Ubisoft. Not all of us want to make a racket.

Gooster said:
So they put in the P99, but I can't add a damn silencer to it?

I know it's free and all, but come on, Ubisoft. Not all of us want to make a racket.
It is kind of fun going through balls to the wall with unsilenced weapons, every once in a while. But the ratio of silenced to unsilenced weapons should have been, like, 3 to 1. Seems like right now it's more like 1:1.

.nimrod

I got my copy (360) yesterday and just finished the singleplayer campain.
And while it was really short, had a pretty forgettable story and the framerate wasn't that good, I really enjoyed the gameplay.

I had a lot of fun finding the most efficient way to cope with every situation, and overall it left a pretty good impression. Though I hadn't played any Splinter Cell game since the first one on the original Xbox.

I haven't touched any of the other modes yet, does anybody know how long the coop campain is?

Calantus said:
is coop campaign any good ? I've been looking for a PC game that had a coop story (that you play online) for a while

I find the co-op mode to be superior to the single-player story mode, personally.

AwesomeSyrup said:
So is the DLC new co-op campaign levels also playable in the other modes, or is just maps for non campaign modes?
From what I understand they're not campaign missions, they are strictly for the other modes (hunter, etc).

There are some misleading achievement descriptions.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Violater said:
Bad ass ending, looked great on my 5770 smooth as butter :D

Have you applied any AA to it? It kills framerate. I have 5770 and it was not smooth with 4X AA even on 1360*768

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
subversus said:
Have you applied any AA to it? It kills framerate. I have 5770 and it was not smooth with 4X AA even on 1360*768
I actually used a framerate limiter to lock it at 30 fps. By doing this I could crank everything up to max at 1080p with 8x AA while maintaining a rock solid framerate. Without the limit, it can hold 60 fps a lot of the time, but not with AA and everything turned on.

I'm not sure why this game is so demanding as it looks somewhat dated. I believe it runs on a modified Unreal Warfare engine as well, which is quite old. Perhaps they are simply trying to do too much with an older engine and running into problems? Should have been a UE3 game.

I played and beat the game this past weekend, I am hugely disappointed with this game. It's not bad, it's just incredibly average. The graphics are mediocre, story is the same b-movie quality we've come to expect from video games, levels are linear non sense, and the end of the game is horrid. LOL @ anyone who calls this a stealth game too.

The final two levels:

So Ubi Montreal thinks the best way to end a game and make it seem "epic" is to throw a million enemies at you non stop until you reach the corny and predictable ending? Nothing more then poor game design. I found myself forcing myself to finish the final 1/3 of this game.

6/10

MMaRsu

So I just got the game, playing on realistic ofcourse.. but goddamn that black/white filter when you are in the shadows is fucking annoying. Hard to play in daylight cause I cant see a damn thing.

raphier

Banned
Ken Masters said:
I played and beat the game this past weekend, I am hugely disappointed with this game. It's not bad, it's just incredibly average. The graphics are mediocre, story is the same b-movie quality we've come to expect from video games, levels are linear non sense, and the end of the game is horrid. LOL @ anyone who calls this a stealth game too.

The final two levels:

So Ubi Montreal thinks the best way to end a game and make it seem "epic" is to throw a million enemies at you non stop until you reach the corny and predictable ending? Nothing more then poor game design. I found myself forcing myself to finish the final 1/3 of this game.

6/10
Yeah, The only reason I like it is Deniable Ops. DOps>Coop>SP.

Single-player hardly made any sense.
NSA Echelon attacks White House, huh? it's like if rat is a director, nobody won't give shit and follow him fanatically.

kuYuri

Latest free content. Was a Code of Conviction exclusive for awhile.

i56pdw.jpg

F8AL

28674_392534269887_62688139887_4137182_3187557_n.jpg

Another image for today's DLC. And I have a question: Won't we eventually be unable to upgrade all of this DLC? Cause there's only a limited number of challenge and points which you can get in the game and if they keep on releasing DLC which requires upgrades, then soon, we won't have enough points to upgrade all of the DLC weapons and stuff.

F8AL said:
And I have a question: Won't we eventually be unable to upgrade all of this DLC? Cause there's only a limited number of challenge and points which you can get in the game and if they keep on releasing DLC which requires upgrades, then soon, we won't have enough points to upgrade all of the DLC weapons and stuff.

I was wondering the same thing, but they probably planned it out so that they will only release the max number of upgradable stuff so this issue won't arise.

kuYuri

F8AL said:
Another image for today's DLC. And I have a question: Won't we eventually be unable to upgrade all of this DLC? Cause there's only a limited number of challenge and points which you can get in the game and if they keep on releasing DLC which requires upgrades, then soon, we won't have enough points to upgrade all of the DLC weapons and stuff.

There's only a few things left for them to release. Shadow Armor, M3 Shotgun, and Spas-12. I think that's it.

Neuromancer said:
Anyone know if the new suit looks different when you upgrade it?

It does change appearance.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This game is on sale at Best Buy today for $39.99 on X360. If you have a RZ Gamers Club membership, there is a $10 off coupon as well. $29.99 = buy for me.

EDIT: It may not work with the coupon. Coupon is off regular price. :(

tzare

Neuromancer said:
Awesome thanks.

You can play hunter and the other modes in co-op on those maps, but they're not story based missions.
ok then, i was worried, will buy next week then :) Thanks for the info :)

Insertia

Completed it yesterday.
Disappointing but fun sums it up.

SC:C had enough gameplay mechanics that kept me interested and I kinda liked the story. Also the design team did a great job of keeping things integrated; hats off to cover-to-cover and mark&execute.

Overall it was the same thing over and over for 6 or 7 hours which isn't cool considering how on rails the game is and the poor AI. Minus the Lincoln Memorial, every level was set to repeat. Got really bad towards the end.

raphier

Banned
thank god for deniable ops!

So gaf are you pro enough a spy?

Game Mode: Infiltration
No Gadgets: ON
Pistol Only: ON

Holster a pistol by holding 1. You now have to kill all enemies without shooting a single shot. It might take a lot of time and patience, but in the end it'll be rewarding!

Who's up to a challenge?!

Hardcore Infiltration

raphier said:
thank god for deniable ops!

So gaf are you pro enough a spy?

Game Mode: Infiltration
No Gadgets: ON
Pistol Only: ON

Holster a pistol by holding 1. You now have to kill all enemies without shooting a single shot. It might take a lot of time and patience, but in the end it'll be rewarding!

Who's up to a challenge?!

Hardcore Infiltration
Too bad you can't turn off sonar goggles too, to make it even tougher.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just bought this because of the Ubisoft Collector's Edition sale and loved the SP campaign. It's a short, but very polished and tight gameplay experience. Great set pieces. Loved toying with enemies before killing them.

The previous Splinter Cell games were that kind of "you were never here" kind of stealth where you always have to stick to the shadows and avoiding contacting enemies whenever you can. Very unforgiving. This game is much more about using the environment, your gadgets, your cover, and your wits to avoid enemy fire and then screw with and distract your enemies until you find your rhythm to bring the pain down. This is much more my style.

It may be a strictly linear experience, but like Crysis, you have so many paths and tools at your disposal that everybody will play the game differently.

Anybody trying to play this like the older Splinter Cell games won't like it. Anybody trying to play it like a traditional shooter won't like it. Throw away your preconceived notions, find out what works, and you'll have a blast.

raphier

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Too bad you can't turn off sonar goggles too, to make it even tougher.
Sonar googles are part of no-gadgets rule :) this mean you can't use goggles.

it really reminds me of old splinter cell, where you had to look to find the lasers old-fashioned way, investigate the environment before attacking, avoid cameras and find a safest way to the enemy or distract him to avoid hard factor.

skyfinch

For a game that can be beaten with practically one hand gun, they sure have a lot of guns as DLC. Whenever I DL a new one, I usually shoot a few rounds in the air (just to test it out), but then go back to my standard, reliable handgun.....with silencer, of course.

mr stroke

just finished the PC version and thought is was average overall. Story was ok, graphics were good(PC version) and audio was amazing. If it wasn't for the shitty AI and average shooting the game could have been special. Even with its faults its still one of the best games in the series.

and Ubi can go fuck them selfs with the PC DRM. The damn game would freeze every 5-10 mins to reconnect to the internet :(

soultron

Banned
Just finished the SP today and I'm dying to play the coop and/or deniable ops with someone.

GT: soultron

Hook it up!!

Thoughts on SP:

I thought the camera movement was awesome in the cinematics, and the transitions between in-game and cinematics kept the experience pretty smooth. I really couldn't keep up with the story since my speakers on my monitor are terrible and I didn't have subtitles on, but the I got the gist of it all. (I've not read the books so I found it enjoyable.) The music itself was actually great.

The audio from the enemies were great as well, and it really tied the experience together, level to level, since enemies would threaten to repay you for what you did at X location. Their movement through the environment was actually unpredictable during the alert phase, which was excellent. I found even in their non-alert phase, their movements as a group were better than anything I've ever seen in MGS/stealth games.

Light and shadow, and the B+W+coloured enemy effect tied to it, were great. I loved it. The fact that environmental traps and enemies were highlighted in colour gave the player a real taste of what heightened vision would be like. I don't know how people found this to be a hindrance, personally.

The environments were truly what unlocked your ability as a bad ass. I think the level designers deserve kudos here since the levels are characters of their own, and the way Sam and everything around him can interact is what make things really interesting. The fluidity of motion when moving from cover to cover automatically was something I'm surprised a lot of other games with cover systems haven't done. Another great environmental action I loved performing was, when hanging from handrails, dropping down a level to avoid detection, and then jumping back up a ledge so that I could grab and enemy and throw him over the edge when he was close enough. I really feel that if Sam was limited to staying on his feet, and without a cover system, the game wouldn't have played so well.

The only thing I didn't like about the game were the overly guns-blazing sections in the last scene. I also wish the SC agents were used more often, and more effectively, as an adversary.

All in all, I think the core concepts brought to the table this time around, were all great additions. I enjoyed the fluid movement through the environment, M+E, LKP, upgrading weapons with XP from challenges, a more challenging enemy, and the light+shadow indication. The presentation was top-notch as well. I loved the projected objectives and the new camera work that made it feel really cinematic -- it went a ways in immersing me in the game. Can't wait to see what the next SC game is like.

kuYuri

soultron said:
Just finished the SP today and I'm dying to play the coop and/or deniable ops with someone.

GT: soultron

Hook it up!!

If you're still interested, send me a friend request. Just got my copy back from a friend.

GT: Strider2K99

McNei1y

Just finished this game. Bought it at gamestop used. This game was awesome. Definitely my runner up GOTY so far. (Mass Effect 2 still wins). I enjoyed how it was more of a "shooter" combined with old sam fisher tactics. Definitely going to play it again sometime. Haven't started CO-OP yet or Multiplayer. I still kind of wish Mercs vs Spies was in this game.

Turnstyle

How plausible is it to complete the co-op campaign playing on your own with two controllers?

I very rarely play anything online, but I'm really keen to play through this story.

Turnstyle said:
How plausible is it to complete the co-op campaign playing on your own with two controllers?

I very rarely play anything online, but I'm really keen to play through this story.
It'd be tough but I bet you can do it. There are some areas where you have to defend a point against waves of enemies, but you could always stash one guy in a corner somewhere. I'd do it on easy if I were you.

Hey are we done with the free Thursday unlocks? I haven't checked the game in a while. I think the M3 shotgun was the last thing I got.

Top Bottom