• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

firehawk12 said:
I think I hate this game. It's the worse aspects of all shitty racing games - rubber band AI, AI has faster cars than you ALWAYS and you can't race online because everyone has the best cars.

It's like you can't win. Either racing games are Forza, where everything just becomes too hardcore that you can't compete or they are arcade games where all the catassers have all fast cars and you can't compete.

Either way, at least make the single player fun - Forza lets you rewind, why can't all racing games do that?
Excuse me, did you just say catassers? :lol

fernoca

Patch/update coming soon:
We're happy to announce that in the next couple of weeks an update for S/S will be going live that adds the ability to filter online lobbies by car class!

Each car is assigned one of three classes based on ability, and you'll be able to choose which classes to race against online to ensure fairer races. When the update goes live we'll announce it here, so keep watching this page for the latest news!
Sorry if this was posted already as a separate thread. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neuromancer said:
Excuse me, did you just say catassers? :lol

I feel like getting the top cars is like playing WoW for 40 hours to get purple armor or whatever. :p

Maybe I suck at racing games but I'll be fucked if I can win the last two elite races. Every fucking car the AI uses is faster than the ones I have access to, so I can't even catch up. Worse still is that the first place guy is so far ahead that I can't even use a power play on him and the second last map doesn't even have a route change.

I can deal with the AI cheating and gangbanging me because racing AI programmers have no idea how to write good driving AI. Nintendo invented the blue shell because they had no other way to penalize the player for being too fast, so all driving game developers just copied that idea and ran with it. But I literally can't even catch up to the AI in the lead. There's no skill involved - even if I run a perfect race, I'm still several seconds behind because my car is substantially slower.

This is the first time in a while that I've wanted to snap my game disc in half. The last time that happened was when I was playing GTA4: Gay Tony and in that case I erased it from my hard drive so I would never have to play it ever again.

I don't get why rewind is the worst thing to ever happen to racing games. I paid my money to play the game, I don't give a shit about the achievements and I just want the cars so I can play online without being last all the time. That's like saying regenerating health is the worst thing to happen to FPSes and that "real" gamers only play games with the shitty health kit system.

Phew. I just needed to vent I guess. I'm glad you guys seem to like this game, and hell, I like it too - but this frustration is just too much. Maybe racing games just aren't for me.

firehawk12 said:
Dude I agree with you 100%. The career in this game is very frustrating. I got through it more out of force of will than anything. I like Black Rock a lot, but balancing the game fairly is not their strongest suit. Both this and Pure had a dynamic difficulty that gets way too hard (although at least in Pure there was a way to trick it into getting easier).

The weird thing is, in both S/S and Pure's quickplay modes, you can pick easy, medium or hard. I don't know why they don't just let you pick that for career too.

yes the AI does seems to be getting a lot faster than me as I progress through the episodes.
Anyone have an idea why the unlock codes don't seem to be working for me?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neuromancer said:
Dude I agree with you 100%. The career in this game is very frustrating. I got through it more out of force of will than anything. I like Black Rock a lot, but balancing the game fairly is not their strongest suit. Both this and Pure had a dynamic difficulty that gets way too hard (although at least in Pure there was a way to trick it into getting easier).

God, I completely forgot Pure. Why didn't I learn my lesson the first time? As a former President once said. "Fool me twice, well... you better not fool me again!"

I feel like the game requires some kind of patience or skill that I must be lacking. I wonder if Blur is the same way? I know you can't play online in that game either because you'll just get owned by all the guys with the fast cars, but I wonder if single player is shit. Hell, my friend told me that Mod Nation Racers has cheap AI as well. Argh.

The weird thing is, in both S/S and Pure's quickplay modes, you can pick easy, medium or hard. I don't know why they don't just let you pick that for career too.

Yeah really. For the achievement whores, just set an achievement for beating the game on hard and let the rest of us "normies" play the game and have "fun". I really liked Pure and I do want to enjoy S/S, but I don't think I'll ever buy a Black Rock game again.

fernoca

Is still my favorite raicng game.
Yeah, I usually don't win..but I don't care..is everything I wanted on a racing game...well, except that I want more cars and more tracks... :lol :lol

So bring moar!!!! :D

firehawk12 said:
I feel like the game requires some kind of patience or skill that I must be lacking. I wonder if Blur is the same way?
I thought Blur's single player was worse, and equally difficult in some ways. Also there's no 'quick race' option, it's all just playlists in their career. I was not a big fan.

Anyway good news for us steering wheel users, Nick Baynes on Twitter says the title update after the next one will have improved wheel support.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Neuromancer said:
I thought Blur's single player was worse, and equally difficult in some ways. Also there's no 'quick race' option, it's all just playlists in their career. I was not a big fan.

Anyway good news for us steering wheel users, Nick Baynes on Twitter says the title update after the next one will have improved wheel support.
"one after this"

So what does the next title update do?

cjelly said:
"one after this"

So what does the next title update do?
fernoca said:
Patch/update coming soon:
Quote:
We're happy to announce that in the next couple of weeks an update for S/S will be going live that adds the ability to filter online lobbies by car class!

Each car is assigned one of three classes based on ability, and you'll be able to choose which classes to race against online to ensure fairer races. When the update goes live we'll announce it here, so keep watching this page for the latest news!

crispyben

firehawk12 said:
I don't know what to say, because I really suck at these, and somehow I managed to platinum this game. I don't have it with me right now so I can't check those races, but I know I Youtube'd some of them. What I can tell you is that what matters most is you being comfortable with the car you drive, not picking the fastest one. Also, try to use different routres than usual, as some are definitely faster. Then you might want to trigger a route-changing powerplay as soon as possible (if available), and drive defensively once you get in the lead. It took me a lot of tries, but I did it, and I'm sure you will too :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neuromancer said:

Figures. At least it was only 20 bucks.

crispyben said:
I don't know what to say, because I really suck at these, and somehow I managed to platinum this game. I don't have it with me right now so I can't check those races, but I know I Youtube'd some of them. What I can tell you is that what matters most is you being comfortable with the car you drive, not picking the fastest one. Also, try to use different routres than usual, as some are definitely faster. Then you might want to trigger a route-changing powerplay as soon as possible (if available), and drive defensively once you get in the lead. It took me a lot of tries, but I did it, and I'm sure you will too :D

I just gave up and I'm trying for the "Beat the Team" achievements. Now my rant is that there should a quick way to restart races without having to go into the menu and reload the race. :lol

The driving and the helicopter/survival modes are fun. It's just the racing that makes me want to tear my hair out.

NHale

firehawk12 said:
I don't get why rewind is the worst thing to ever happen to racing games. I paid my money to play the game, I don't give a shit about the achievements and I just want the cars so I can play online without being last all the time. That's like saying regenerating health is the worst thing to happen to FPSes and that "real" gamers only play games with the shitty health kit system.

Phew. I just needed to vent I guess. I'm glad you guys seem to like this game, and hell, I like it too - but this frustration is just too much. Maybe racing games just aren't for me.

Rewind is not the worst thing in racing games, but it would be the worst thing to have in this game. Power plays are the biggest part of the game, if you use rewind you know what is happening next, why bother? It's already too easy if you know the track, because only a couple of power plays are unavoidable.

What Black Rock should have done was give the option to choose difficulty level, but they made it hard on purpose so they could sell the "unlock all cars" DLC and in result they broke the single player and the online (because you need the better cars to compete).

Just finished the game, and really enjoyed it. There was one elite race that seemed ridiculously hard but I came back the next day and managed it first time, the difficulty really wasn't that high - and pales in comparison to rubber AI in Motorstorm 2.

Ending spoiler:
80s Split Second?
expansion or sequel? what do you want?

wind_steaker said:
Just finished the game, and really enjoyed it. There was one elite race that seemed ridiculously hard but I came back the next day and managed it first time, the difficulty really wasn't that high - and pales in comparison to rubber AI in Motorstorm 2.

Ending spoiler:
80s Split Second?

I hope that it means that there are both DLC levels and a sequel. The game is just awesome.

SN: Wow, lol how do I have the most posts in this thread, lol. I havent touched the game since release week (with those 40 hours)

NHale

wind_steaker said:

Ending spoiler:
80s Split Second?

Definitely a sequel.

I don't see them doing DLC either because the game didn't sold very well and the online is not very deep to keep people interested for a long time. It was the same with Pure and after 6 months the lobbies were almost empty.

wind_steaker said:

Ending spoiler:
80s Split Second?
Definitely an 80's prequel :lol

coopolon

Wow, thank god I rented this game and didn't buy it. Just played through the first 4 episodes and I think I'm done.

What this game does right, it does really well. The explosions and chaos are awesome and a lot of fun, and I personally thought my 5.1 system really added to the game, with the audio carnage really helping me feel the rush.

Unfortunately, it does pretty much everything else wrong. The cars are boring, I couldn't care less which car I'm using compared to any of the others, I typically just choose the highest one strength/non-strength available depending on the event. (I know, I should probably pay attention to all that other crap, but when I was paying attention at first I didn't notice any differences in how cars feel even when they have wildly varying stats, except for strength and non-strength.)

I don't like the sliding mechanic. Maybe I just suck, but I never felt like I really had control over it. Most of the turns I handled fine, but far too often I just found myself spinning out of control. I was also never able to get the boost mechanic that they talk about in the loading screens, where if you go into the slide, take the finger off the throttle, then hammer it down again you're supposed to get a boost? I never got it working. And I would also frequently find myself losing control of my car when there was a power up that happened somewhere near me, but not anywhere near close enough for me to be effected by the shock wave.

I thought about 2/5ths of the events were not fun. Specifically, dodging missiles, barrels, whatever. When I'm already frustrated that I don't have proper control of my car, it only makes me more upset when you put 4 explosion triggers right in the middle of a difficult turn and I'm helpless to try to avoid them. Sometimes I miss them, sometimes I don't, but it's never a result of my efforts. (Again, this might just be me sucking, but I've played numerous other arcade racers and been fine.)

The rubberbanding is bad. Like, REALLY bad. Especially in the Elite races, after the second one they just became a huge pain in the ass. To top it all off, every other car in the elite races is significantly faster then mine. I could be doing everything perfectly, have had 3-4 perfect turns with long straight aways in between, and I'm no farther to catching up to 1st place, and something like 3 cars pass me and I'm powerless to do anything until they get 20-30 feet in front of me so I can start hitting them with explosions. Bad, so very very bad.

But the thing that eventually made me turn the game off, on top of all this other crap, is the repetition. By the end of the third episode I felt like I wasn't seeing anything new. When the preview for the 4th episode was the big ship, which I'd already done like twice, I was incredibly disappointed. I'm sure there are a few more race track segments I missed, but I can't bring myself to slog through the same old tracks with all the bad gameplay just to get there.

So, I'd say I got a solid two hours of enjoyment out of this game. I have no interest in online because I know everyone's car is going to be 10x better then mine. It's actually almost too crappy even to be a worthy rental, but holy moly, if I had paid $60 for this game, I'd be writing mean letters to the developers right now. Will definitely stay clear of Black Rock in the future.

DLC news from Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/08/split-second-getting-three-dlc-packs-in-august-major-dlc-pack/

If you're still racing around the structurally unsound tracks in Split/Second, you'll be pleased to note that developer Black Rock Studios plans to release three DLC packs "in the next couple of weeks," as well as a fourth in September. The first three packs will introduce new cars, while the pack coming next month is said to be "major" and will come packed with an entirely new environment (we're hoping that means new powerplays as well).

No pricing has been offered for any of the packs, but the game's Facebook page (where all of this was announced) says that the third DLC pack will be free "as a way of saying thanks to our awesome community," and will contain a "special edition vehicle based on the original classic Ryback Cyclone." Solid launch dates weren't given either, and nothing's showing up on XBLM or PSN just yet, but we do have this one screenshot above from the second DLC pack of a "High Octane Supercar." Don't say we never gave you nothin'!

Car packs? No thanks (except for the free one). I am interested in the new environment though; hopefully it'll be something really crazy and different.

I may wait until they patch the steering wheel controls though, hopefully that'll come out around the same time.

fernoca

Yeah, I posted about it. Was mostly ignored. :lol
Is just one car pack, at the moment. The rest are liveries and the other one is an environment. Plus the free car. No price for the other things yet.

EDIT:
Joystiq's article is weird.
The original info from their Facebook, doesn't mention 3 car packs, which they admit is from were they got the info:
From their Facebook page:
Hi everyone, the wait is almost over for Split/Second downloadable content! Coming later this month will be three new downloadable packs.

• The first DLC pack will provide new liveries to really make your turbo-powered Elite vehicles stand out from the rest of the crowd!
  • The second DLC pack will be a entirely new vehicle offering called the “High Octane” Supercar Pack (see screenshot below).

Finally, as a way of saying thanks to our awesome community, we will be giving away a FREE special edition vehicle based on the original classic Ryback Cyclone! These packs will be available on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network in the next couple of weeks along with a major DLC pack featuring a new environment coming in September.

2rw26g4.jpg

*Screen from new vehicle from the second DLC pack.
So, I don't know.
Maybe there are more cars... :lol

fernoca said:
Yeah, I posted about it. Was mostly ignored.
Is just one car pack, at the moment. The rest are liveries and the other one is an environment. Plus the free car. No price for the other things yet.
Oh I didn't see it. I guess we're not supposed to bury news in threads but I figured everyone who'd care would be here anyway. :D

fernoca

Yeah.
Back then the latest post was yours and from July 23rd. :lol

So decided to post it as a new thread; for more exposure.
But the short amount of info, couple with the weird wording (of which I posted above); caused if anything, more desinterest. :lol

fernoca

Well, I said i wasn't going to post anything else, but whatever; this game deserves love! :lol
Update is live:
Hi Split/Second fans! Chris from Black Rock with some info on the content of the latest console update.

• Improved match making for online lobbies - Car Class Restriction Implemented
  • News Ticker added - To keep you guys updated with latest info and DLC releases
  • Functionality for future DLC packs implemented.
  • Genral Bug Fixes

This should make for much fairer and explosive races when playing online!
Just checked and yep. Online before jumping into a match you press the Y/Triangle button to choose the car restriction before searching for a match.

Sydle

fernoca said:
Well, I said i wasn't going to post anything else, but whatever; this game deserves love! :lol
Update is live:

Just checked and yep. Online before jumping into a match you press the Y/Triangle button to choose the car restriction before searching for a match.

Thank Jebus. The lack of this killed the online multiplayer for me in the beginning and I really haven't looked back. Will check this out later today.

fernoca

Paco said:
Thank Jebus. The lack of this killed the online multiplayer for me in the beginning and I really haven't looked back. Will check this out later today.
Is still not great, since there's always someone that has the best car. Either after playing a lot or after buying the unlock key to get everything unlocked (like people with like only 2 achievements, but has the fastest cars).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just finished this game today, got a gold on every stage. TBH I'm not sure why I carried on to the end, once they ran out of fresh tracks to throw at you they just upped the cheating AI and made the target times absurdly hard. I enjoy the online part of the game (even though it was completely broken thanks to the unlock code DLC), but single player was an absolute slog. I hope they are working on some new tracks and not just shitty new cars.

Ushojax said:
I just finished this game today, got a gold on every stage. TBH I'm not sure why I carried on to the end, once they ran out of fresh tracks to throw at you they just upped the cheating AI and made the target times absurdly hard. I enjoy the online part of the game (even though it was completely broken thanks to the unlock code DLC), but single player was an absolute slog. I hope they are working on some new tracks and not just shitty new cars.
They are... September's DLC is new tracks.

Erebus

One question, can you uncap the fps on the PC version? It's stuck at 30fps no matter what.

EDIT: nv, apparently it's not possible. :(

Pandemic

Hey everyone, was just thinking of purchasing this, is anyone able to post their impression of the game, or thoughts on it?

Thanks in advanced. :D

Bebpo

Banned
magnificent83 said:
Just picked this up for PS3 in the 20 Best buy deal, loved the demo so I should have fun in this game

Yeah I picked it up for $20 as well. Seems difficult, but otherwise good and with enough persistence you can get 1st.

Just got my Platinum Trophy on this. I finished the game just after it came out, but those two Time Trial trophies were kicking my ass. Then I switched to a slower car and got them easily! The fastest car is simply too fragile against explosions and unstable in the corners.

Good game overall, definitely a dirty pleasure title :)

Bebpo

Banned
The more I play this, the more I'm not sure if I'm really having any fun.

I like the tracks, they are well designed with great shortcuts and variety thanks to route changes. I like the main game idea of dodging and attacking. Learning the courses and their tricks is a lot of fun.

But the game is ridiculously difficult for no reason. This is the first racing game I've played where on a straightaway you watch every other car zip past you because apparently their top speed is waaaay higher than yours. Normally in a racing game I'm used to being in 3rd-4th place and fighting my way through the top 3. In Split/Second I feel like I'm always hanging around 5-7th unless I get a breakaway to 1-3rd. Playing a racing game and driving around in 5th place out of 8 is not fun.

It also doesn't seem to make a difference what car you use because all the other cars are always faster!

The game also suffers from the Wipeout problem where 1st place car gets ahead and can't be attacked and meanwhile 2nd-8th are killing each other and only putting the entire pack further and further behind the 1st place car. This combined with the other cars all being much faster and perfect line drivers makes it really annoying. If you can somehow get ahead by about 7 seconds, you can take advantage of this yourself and as long as you drive a perfect line for the rest of the race you win. But most of the time you are behind and when you finally take out the 2nd/3rd place guys and become 2nd it tells you 1st place is 7-10 seconds ahead and there's just no way to ever catch up. Also elimination is just total bullshit because of how Split/Second is designed. You can be in 1st or 2nd, get instantly KO'd from the guy behind you and respawn with 1 second left on the counter and you're in last place and instant lose. I don't even think elimination should be a game mode because of the way the game mechanics work.

It feels like Burnout but without the awesome pure enjoyment of burnout and instead the cheap frustrating AI from games like Mario Kart/Motorstorm/GRID that just make you feel like an awful driver and make you go :(

And whyyyyy would you make a racing game and not include difficulty levels for the main mode? I think this is the first racing game I've played that doesn't offer any difficulty options. Racing gamers have very different skill levels!

Oh well, I really really hope NFS HP doesn't have ridiculous cheating AI. Too many racers in the last couple of years making SP way too hard for arcade racers. Probably in an effort to add "replay value" and "game length" because of all those hours retrying.

stolin

KennyLinder said:
Just got my Platinum Trophy on this. I finished the game just after it came out, but those two Time Trial trophies were kicking my ass. Then I switched to a slower car and got them easily! The fastest car is simply too fragile against explosions and unstable in the corners.

I'm in the exact same spot.. finished it all upon release with only the 2 Beat the Teams left..

Can you say which slower car you used to complete each of the Beat The Teams ?

Bepbo, not being able to pick difficulty and having to deal with blatantly unfair AI were hallmarks of their last game, Pure, as well. Supposedly both games are supposed to automatically scale the difficulty for you as you play, and you can see how well that worked out for them.

I have no idea why they keep doing it, especially when the difficulty options are there- in quickplay mode only.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm giving online a try right now and it's pretty fun. I noticed the same thing with Motorstorm. These games that have cheating AIs are more enjoyable when everyone is on the same playing field. The pack seems to stay pretty close to each other and I've been in 1st a lot even if I don't finish in first (wrecking yourself is the worst! :lol ).

I don't quite get how the online ranking system works though. Can anyone explain?

NHale

Bebpo said:
So I'm giving online a try right now and it's pretty fun. I noticed the same thing with Motorstorm. These games that have cheating AIs are more enjoyable when everyone is on the same playing field. The pack seems to stay pretty close to each other and I've been in 1st a lot even if I don't finish in first (wrecking yourself is the worst! :lol ).

I don't quite get how the online ranking system works though. Can anyone explain?

I don't know if they changed it between launch and now, but you will rank up if you finish in the top half but you will lose ranks if you finish in the bottom half. You will gain/lose more ranks the higher/lower you finish in the race.

stolin said:
I'm in the exact same spot.. finished it all upon release with only the 2 Beat the Teams left..

Can you say which slower car you used to complete each of the Beat The Teams ?

Oh yeah sorry, I should of. I used the Cobretti GTS which may seem like an odd choice, but I got the Powerplant one after two tries (after trying a billion times with the Elite GT) and the Construction Site I got on my 2nd try ever on it. I never bothered even trying that one until I got the Powerplant one, so I was very surprised. Won it easily too.

There is a neat shortcut on that level which cuts out a cheeky chunk of the level out. When the big tipper truck gets thrown down the road and you enter the construction site and the building falls apart, head right and drive behind it. This will take you up a ramp to the L-Train track and you drive along there and jump off the end. If you do that correctly you drive under a building and cut a whole section of tight corners out. Works well.

Footos22

The cobretti GTS is THE car to use online and offline the handling - speed ratio is awesome and correcting yourself from shockwaves is easy.

i slaughtered every single race once i started using this car
Made it the easiest platinum i have gotten yet

I went online and ranked from 99 to 1 in less then 2 hours often finishing over 10 secs ahead of the pack while everyone else used the top tier cars

think i won like 10 races in a row at one point.

once you finish the game and go online you'll know every track like the back of your hand and you'll soon see the GTS is the best car in the game and its not even a top rank car.

Game was far too easy and im usually pretty poor at racing games. Still.. loved it though and can't wait for a sequel

Top Bottom