• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is the ps3 version as good as the 360 one?
And how are the comparable communities, easy enough finding games?
Don't wanna buy the game next month only to find barren land

DonMigs85

Dash Kappei said:
Is the ps3 version as good as the 360 one?
And how are the comparable communities, easy enough finding games?
Don't wanna buy the game next month only to find barren land
Xbox 360 version looks slightly better but it's practically impossible to tell the diff unless they're running side by side.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Yas! I has beatted this game! (all golds)

Pretty awesome game... pretty to look at too. Ill buy the sequel day one, just like I did the original.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Xbox 360 version looks slightly better but it's practically impossible to tell the diff unless they're running side by side.

For my understanding the PS3 ver is the lead ver and runs at 720p, the 360 ver is sub-HD, it should be in the first post of this topic.

navii

I like the PS3 version because it is sharper. those 360 post processing effects make things harder to see up ahead.

Ok, so the youtube guy for BTT2 is insane. I just cannot get that car to respond the same way he does. I used the 3rd car from the end, the 350 I think it's called? Anyway I used it and didn't have to do any of the "slow down, speed ups" or the "don't drift in turns" that he had to co. I just accelerated as fast as I could and used extreme drift management to come out of turns going just about as fast as I was going into them. No stupid fishtailing, no "I steered too hard, I'm out of control", just 1:16:94 of racing goodness. It only took me about an hour to get it, maybe less.

Now I just need to grind the online and get that perfect elimination. I copied/deleted my save so I can be a level 99 guy in an elimination match. I won't have a great car, but then neither will the computer. And since I'll be level 99, the AI will be a little dumber.

Tonza

Got this few days ago. (PS3)

I have to say that this is by far my favorite arcade racer ever. I just love the way cars handle and the powerplays. Only thing that bugs me is the AI. The rubberbanding is ridiculous and I have gotten infuriated few times.

Still the game is awesome. I really need to get Pure again too since I liked it but traded it in because of a great deal last year.

Can't wait for Black Rock Studios next game.

allegate said:
Ok, so the youtube guy for BTT2 is insane. I just cannot get that car to respond the same way he does. I used the 3rd car from the end, the 350 I think it's called? Anyway I used it and didn't have to do any of the "slow down, speed ups" or the "don't drift in turns" that he had to co. I just accelerated as fast as I could and used extreme drift management to come out of turns going just about as fast as I was going into them. No stupid fishtailing, no "I steered too hard, I'm out of control", just 1:16:94 of racing goodness. It only took me about an hour to get it, maybe less.

Now I just need to grind the online and get that perfect elimination. I copied/deleted my save so I can be a level 99 guy in an elimination match. I won't have a great car, but then neither will the computer. And since I'll be level 99, the AI will be a little dumber.

Perfect Elimination?

-DarKaoZ- said:
For my understanding the PS3 ver is the lead ver and runs at 720p, the 360 ver is sub-HD, it should be in the first post of this topic.
Digital Foundry said:
Just like Pure, Split/Second operates with a steady 30FPS, with only slight deviation from the standard when the engine is really under stress: the fire effects in particular clearly introduce some small performance issues, for example. In these cases, it's the Xbox 360 build that runs a touch more smoothly. It also exhibits lower levels of screen-tear, though the human eye is unlikely to really tell the difference between the two versions - in this level, at least. Statistically though, in the sample above, Xbox 360 produces around four per cent torn frames while PS3 is at 11 per cent.

Gameplay-wise? The demo code suggests that nobody is going to be disappointed. The technical differences aren't massive, and more importantly, they don't affect the way the game plays: it's solid on both systems. It does look as though post-processing is pared back a touch on PS3, but it also seems to be the case that the 360 version of the game operates with a slightly lower vertical resolution - something like 1280x672 or thereabouts - up against the native 720p on PS3. You can get an idea of how this manifests during gameplay in this comparison shot.
Digital Foundry did a side by side comparison of the demo, true the vertical resolution is better on the PS3 but the 360 has less tearing.

All in all it sounds to me both versions of the game run fine.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-splitsecond-demo-showdown

allegate said:
You have to be in first place for each elimination. One of the harder trophies I feel, especially seeing as I got both BTT's before this one. :lol
Yeah I just got it last night, by accident.

I keep trying that, and it's not working. It's possible I just race too aggressively because I know I need to have some power saved in case anyone rubber-bands past me. Ah well, practice practice practice.

Kolgar

Gotta say, this is one of my favorite racers ever. Far from being a one-trick pony, this game has sunk its hooks into me and I'm sticking with it until I reach 1000/1000.

It's difficult at times. Those Detonator events are trying and I want to grab a bazooka and blow that damn helicopter right out of the sky, but even after taking a severe beating from the game, something about it just keeps me coming back for more.

Online is an absolute blast. I've never been one to take my racers online, but this is great fun and I'm super-impressed at how well it runs with all that chaos and mayhem going on.

Well done, Black Rock. If you make a sequel, I'll be there day one.

well my idea worked: Deleted the save, did the construction eliminator, and 5 minutes later had my trophy. Now I just have to grind my way from #56 currently to #1 and I'll have my 5th platinum.

JadedOne

Does anyone have a decent strategy for the Air Revenge events? I have no idea how to get up to 1st place in them. I take too long and am clueless

JadedOne said:
Does anyone have a decent strategy for the Air Revenge events? I have no idea how to get up to 1st place in them. I take too long and am clueless
Only use the red blasts (by filling up all 3 bars). Using the regular blue ones is just a waste of time. Other than that, just keep avoiding the blasts as best you can. I find a car with low drift but good speed and acceleration helps. The strength rating does nothing for you in this mode as far as I can tell.

JadedOne

Neuromancer said:
Only use the red blasts (by filling up all 3 bars). Using the regular blue ones is just a waste of time. Other than that, just keep avoiding the blasts as best you can. I find a car with low drift but good speed and acceleration helps. The strength rating does nothing for you in this mode as far as I can tell.

Thanks. Ill try this.

Neuromancer said:

I usually used cars with high enough strength so that I wouldnt be affected by the explosive shockwaves, mainly in the higher levels because they would just send a low strength car spinning especially when trying to dodge 6-8+

Dedication Through Light said:
I usually used cars with high enough strength so that I wouldnt be affected by the explosive shockwaves, mainly in the higher levels because they would just send a low strength car spinning especially when trying to dodge 6-8+
I'm pretty sure two indirect hits will destroy your car no matter what your strength is.

So does anyone think there's any chance of DLC? I see there's a "super car" pack coming at some time but if you're already beaten the game it doesn't seem interesting. The conceit of the game is such that you can't really add mission packs on because once a "season" is over, it's over. I suppose there could be specials or something like they do for sitcoms - Halloween? :lol - but that's about it.

I guess what I'm really asking is: Should I just go ahead and trade it in while there's that +$10 thing at EB?

allegate said:
So does anyone think there's any chance of DLC? I see there's a "super car" pack coming at some time but if you're already beaten the game it doesn't seem interesting. The conceit of the game is such that you can't really add mission packs on because once a "season" is over, it's over. I suppose there could be specials or something like they do for sitcoms - Halloween? :lol - but that's about it.

I guess what I'm really asking is: Should I just go ahead and trade it in while there's that +$10 thing at EB?

Probably trade it in if you think, Im shocked the 360 version has more trade in value than the PS3 version.

Ive actually been sitting on mine since release weak because I was waiting for DLC and I like just random races in it, lol.

Don't get me wrong, it's my sons favorite game at the moment because he loves watching me race and seeing all the destruction happening on screen. Seeing as it appears the PS3 version doesn't have that great a trade value anyway, I might just keep it so he and I can play from time to time.

I personally don't foresee any meaningful DLC for this game (i.e., new tracks) ever coming out, if for no other reason than Pure never did.

navii

this game is pretty unique and beautiful, i wouldn't trade it in for anything

Im hoping by what the Black Rock Team on the Split/Second Facebook page said means that DLC will be coming, they seemed to say that they have big announcements coming (next) this week, lol, Im excite.

kratos

Can somebody please help . I bought the pc version of split second and whenever I type a user name and password it always gives me an error signing in. I can't see anywhere where to create an account to go online so I just entered anything. Whenever I try to insert a username that has 3 characters or more I get asterics is there some limits on this page as to how big the user name and password should be set to.

crispyben

kratos said:
Can somebody please help . I bought the pc version of split second and whenever I type a user name and password it always gives me an error signing in. I can't see anywhere where to create an account to go online so I just entered anything. Whenever I try to insert a username that has 3 characters or more I get asterics is there some limits on this page as to how big the user name and password should be set to.
I think you need a Gamespy ID.

kratos

Thanks. tried it .. still doesn't work .. gonna have to call a help line and pay premium rates for something that should have been included in the manual .. not happy disney :(

fernoca

Well, two things:
  1. The game will be $44.99 till this Saturday, at Best Buy.
  2. The "Facebook announcement" will be tomorrow, but they already confirmed it won't be DLC-related; but:
Hey Split/Second fans, we have some exciting news to announce TOMORROW about playing Split/Second portably. Can you guess what it is? Stay tuned for more details!
Either a PSP version or maybe a 3DS version...maybe an update to the iPhone version..who knows...well, we'll know tomorrow.

The director of the game was quite excited during E3 with the 3DS...so we'll see...

fernoca said:
Well, two things:
  1. The game will be $44.99 till this Saturday, at Best Buy.
  2. The "Facebook announcement" will be tomorrow, but they already confirmed it won't be DLC-related; but:

Either a PSP version or maybe a 3DS version...maybe an update to the iPhone version..who knows...well, we'll know tomorrow.

The director of the game was quite excited during E3 with the 3DS...so we'll see...

Looks like its coming to PSP this Holiday season. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400522

fernoca

This game...is like what I always wanted in a racing game..darn!
I always wanted a racing were each lap was compeltely different and on which you were constantly either manipulating the track or evading things from it..

Even thouh I like racing games in general (in the last couple of days I've been alternating this game with Forza 3)..I always felt like I was doing the same thing. In many racing games you just basically run in circles, finish the race and move on. As time went by, some developers started taking the "GTA approach"; basically put racing in open ended worlds, which was nice..but still felt the same; but instead of running in circles, you were running from point A to point B...and maybe use shortcuts to get to B....still awesome; but in many cases if you were winning; yo uwere either just doing nothing except to make sure to not crash; or evade other cars (in the games that there were cars in the road as transit)

But darn this game!
Either you have to avoid an exploding gas station, or as you're drving the road collapses and you end in an underground parking lot; or a air-traffic-tower collapses closing the route you (or the ones behind you) were going to take...and as you just evade that tower ; an airplane comes crashing in front of you.....among many other things..and that's just in one of the tracks (i.e. the one from the demo)..

Mixed with an original score, that sounds like it was taken directly from orchestrated Hollywood movies; with a lot of tension and dramatic parts...and to top it, some amazing visuals with incredible lighting effects. (Plus more bonus points for the subtle/ small HUD).

So, yeah..this is my perfect racing game..if there's only one bad thing about it...is that I want more cars, more tracks, more music. Already sent a few messages to the developers to congratulate them for such an amazing game (plus Pure was quite cool too)... :lol

This came out in my exams but it's just dropped to £17.99 (PS3 at HMV) so I bit!

Whats the split screen like? And is online still alive?

So I played this game last night with the Microsoft Racing Wheel and I have to say it's pretty bad. In fact it's almost unplayable. Basically unless you're wrenching the wheel ALL THE WAY left or right, you won't turn at all. And even when you do, you're not turning sharp enough to make any but the widest corner. There's no way to fine-tune the sensitivity or force feedback amount or anything. It's a giant bummer and if this game needs a patch for anything, it'd be for this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I hate this game. It's the worse aspects of all shitty racing games - rubber band AI, AI has faster cars than you ALWAYS and you can't race online because everyone has the best cars.

It's like you can't win. Either racing games are Forza, where everything just becomes too hardcore that you can't compete or they are arcade games where all the catassers have all fast cars and you can't compete.

Either way, at least make the single player fun - Forza lets you rewind, why can't all racing games do that?

Im sorry, lol, but rewind is one of the worst ideas in racing history. Thats like casualizing it worst than what Mario Kart Wii is.

Unless you buy the DLC to unlock all cars or you just go online after getting like the Cyclone, then probably dont race online. It should take too long to be honest.

The AI isnt really that bad if you can time your powerplays right. The route changers are the most effective in stopping them in their tracks and getting up to first place.

The AI really isn't as difficult as some make it out to be. Yes, there is a lot of rubber banding but as long as you select the right cars then you shouldn't have much trouble. And one really huge advantage that you're given over the AI is that it's very difficult for them to make you crash. A simple barrel drop from you will cause them to crash if you time it correctly while it'll just push you into a drift if they do the same to you.

Footos22

Bit on this week ago saturday it was only £20 PS3 version

So glad i did, had a blast!
Got Platinum no.9 on Monday *EPEEN EXTEND*

Im glad the ai always has a faster car.
It would be boring as hell if you were half a lap in front!
went from online rank 99 to 1 in one evening

Either everyone on psn sucks or they just think the last car is the best one

i got my gold on almost everything including the survival trophies first time when i unlocked the cobretti gts and even though its not a top ranked car according to the online lobby it sure as hell beats everything else.

i won about 15 games in a row
while the rest of the pack flew around all over the place with the gt12

I won one race by 20 odd seconds!

NHale

firehawk12 said:
Either way, at least make the single player fun - Forza lets you rewind, why can't all racing games do that?

This would be the worst idea ever for a game like this. This is an arcade game where errors/crashes are meant to happen. If you want to rewind them, you might just ask them to have a "Press A to win race".

De4th Strike said:
went from online rank 99 to 1 in one evening

Either everyone on psn sucks or they just think the last car is the best one

i got my gold on almost everything including the survival trophies first time when i unlocked the cobretti gts and even though its not a top ranked car according to the online lobby it sure as hell beats everything else.

i won about 15 games in a row
while the rest of the pack flew around all over the place with the gt12

I won one race by 20 odd seconds!

That's exactly what happened to me. I tried the "better" car overall in the single player but the Cobretti GTS always felt better.

With the Cobretti GTS I reached level 1 in about 3 hours online. It helped that I knew the tracks very well but while the Cobretti GTS loses time on the straights, the car is very stable on the corners if you know how to slowdown a little bit before them.

This game arrived a few days ago ad I've had a blast playing it with my friends, the 2 player split-screen is fantastic along with playing through the SP together. Very happy customer here, it feels like Burnout 2 with more explosions.

jkanownik

SolidSnakex said:
The AI really isn't as difficult as some make it out to be. Yes, there is a lot of rubber banding but as long as you select the right cars then you shouldn't have much trouble. And one really huge advantage that you're given over the AI is that it's very difficult for them to make you crash. A simple barrel drop from you will cause them to crash if you time it correctly while it'll just push you into a drift if they do the same to you.

I wasn't bothered by the difficulty of the AI but I absolutely hated the cars with the low front ends. Every other race they would slide up under my back end and practically bring my car to a stop. Luckily that doesn't start happening until near the end of the game otherwise I wouldn't have been able to finish.

Top Bottom