• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

FluxWaveZ

give me some cynicism! thats why i liked hajime over makoto, he wasnt a one man canned motivational speech and had some other aspects to his personality.

The beginning of the game made me hopeful the protagonist was going to be much more cynical than Hajime ended up being. He's really suspicious about a lot of things at the start of DR2 as well as the people around him. His doubtful nature and him saying stuff like "I doubt that" when Nagito would say that he felt they were kinship at the start made me think Hajime's "talent" would turn out to be the "Ultimate Despair" (which, I guess, is kind of what happened).

The hope shtick reached its peak at the end of DR1, which is why I think Nagito worked because of how it subverted the idea. Maybe another twist on that could work in a DR3, or some other character that works against what we're used to from the series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What if the twist is that Komaru gets captured or something at the end of AE and SURPRISE she's also the protagonist of DR3?

I think enough time has passed that I can do my official post-DR2 character rankings now...

From best to worst...

Nekomaru (Shocker!)
Sonia
Chiaki
Ibuki
Gundham
Mikan
Mahiru
Peko
Hajime
Akane
-----
"Byakuya"
Fuyuhiko
-----
Kazuichi
Teruteru
Nagito
Hiyoko

Everyone above the first line is awesome, everyone above the second line is alright, everyone below the second line is trash. Pretty much how I expected it to turn out, though I liked Akane and Fuyuhiko more than I thought I would.

PK Gaming

I feel that she would have worked better in the first game than the second. She could have been a good supportive character that the first game needed while this game, you have enough people she gets outshine and forgotten.

Mahiru works better in DR2 than DR11 because she's a foil for most cast. She's the sensible voice of reason that tries to keep the rest of the cast in check. Not only does she lose this in the transition to DR1, but she also loses ties to Twilight Syndrome!

By meshed I don't quite mean that they all got on with one another, more that their personalities were all mostly on par with another despite having their various quirks - you didn't really find certain characters dominating the screentime as you do with DR2. Mahiru and Peko were completely sidelined and to some extent Akane and Ibuki didn't really have any chance to shine either.

Mahiru gets plenty of screen time up until her death. She's one of the major players in the first chapter; her pictures are integral for solving the case and she has a noticeable presence during the first trial. Her death is shrouded in intrigue due to her actions prior to dying, and the reveal that she was a character in "Twilight Syndrome" makes her death all the more impactful. As for Peko... she's mild by design, but that doesn't mean she doesn't get much screen time. In fact, she practically dominates chapter 2's trial portion by controlling the entire pace.

tumblr_mqogh5cZWa1r2heyno4_250.png

This is totally subjective, I'm not sure why you think Ibuki was outshined when she completely steals whatever scene she's in. I don’t have any delusions about her being super deep or anything like that, but Ibuki was an incredibly enjoyable character. Super funny and super random; the Ultimate bizarre character. I think maybe a good 30% of my DR2 pictures have Ibuki.

Congrats on that baby but who the hell’s the dad (If this song didn't win you over then...)

By comparison, screentime in DR1 was pretty much limited to Makoto, Kyoko, Byakuya, Toko*, and the the killer of the week. Hell, the killers (with the exception of Celeste) don't even factor as antagonists for most of the trial. (most of the time, their development came at the very end) DR1 characters for the most part felt like blips on a radar. Some of them get a momentary spike of relevancy but that's it. Taka literally dies during the middle of his character arc. I felt like DR2 made much better use of its entire cast. The characters got better introductions and a decent amount of development before death.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I'm always down for more Junko, considering she has the best voice acting this year.

i'm not, or at least not in DR3, they're already used the "THE MASTERMIND IS JUNKO!" twist in both main games, it'd be ridiculously lame to do that again.

ss-hikaru

I was curious so I youtubed the dub and it's really good, they nailed the casting :O I think I'll recommend the dub for my little brother. I've managed to get him to agree to play the game, but with Curtain Call just released and Smash Brothers coming out I'll have to push him to try and play it soon (so I can talk to him about it :p)

RetroMG

i'm not, or at least not in DR3, they're already used the "THE MASTERMIND IS JUNKO!" twist in both main games, it'd be ridiculously lame to do that again.

I'm torn... on the one hand, Junko has become one of my favorite villains ever, so I would love to see more of her. But on the other hand, I do agree that her coming back a third time would be too much.

I do wonder how it would play out if Junko WEREN'T the main villain. Maybe if one of the ultimate despair on the island did end up waking from their coma they could be the villain? Mikan? Nagito, maybe? I could see Nagito being crazy enough to run a killing game for the sake of seeing hope prevail at the end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm torn... on the one hand, Junko has become one of my favorite villains ever, so I would love to see more of her. But on the other hand, I do agree that her coming back a third time would be too much.
I feel the same way. I didn't mind it in DR2 because it was all "HOLY CRAP, HOW DID SHE SURVIVE THE EXECUTION IN THE LAST GAME?!" & I wasn't expecting her to return. With AE, I'm kind of expecting them to explain what happened to her body &/or how she was downloaded into the program, so I welcome her appearance in that game. But with DR3, have it be one of her followers, illegitimate child, or something else. Hell, Junko's parents would be interesting because we get to see the creators of one of the ultimate despairs.

I guess "too much of a good thing", it's better to stop while they're ahead & all that.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder how it would play out if Junko WEREN'T the main villain. Maybe if one of the ultimate despair on the island did end up waking from their coma they could be the villain? Mikan? Nagito, maybe? I could see Nagito being crazy enough to run a killing game for the sake of seeing hope prevail at the end.

Nagito I think is most likely dead because of his condition. I bet it would be the last of the Ultimate Despairs or something masquerading as Monokuma, but I'm keeping my options open, just no more Junko.

PKGaming

Banned
One thing I can definitely say I liked better in DR1 is the atmosphere. The whole idea of being trapped inside a dark, creepy, claustrophobic and lonely high school is a lot more scary and intense than being stranded on a bright and sunny tropical island with a bunch of stuff to make everyone feel like they're on a vacation. Because of that, a lot of the murders felt less believable in 2 because the pressure to kill really didn't feel as high as in the first game. Personally, I'd be much more willing to kill in order to escape a creepy, claustrophobic high school than to escape a bright and sunny island. Not to mention, in 1, everything actually happened. People really died because it happened in real life. In 2, it was all a computer program. A very intense and dangerous computer program, but still a program.

Speaking of killing, I wanna compare the murders as well. Although I did just mention they felt less believable in 2 than in 1, I do think overall the murders were better/more gruesome/more intense in 2.

DR1:
First victim - Stabbed
Second victim - Bonked on the head
Third and fourth victim - Bonked on the head...again
Fifth victim - Suicide ;_;
Sixth victim - Stabbed multiple times earlier

DR2:
First victim - Stabbed
Second victim - Bonked on the head
Third victim - Strangled and hung
Fourth victim - Neck got sliced
Fifth victim - Fell from a high place
Sixth victim - Just...just some really fucked up shit......

As for executions on the other hand, I think DR1 wins for me. I think the ones in DR2 just felt a little bit over the top. I mean, they were all over the top, but 2's felt even more so. In 1, the only truly ridiculous one was Mondo's death. In 2, we got frying in a volcano, being controlled like a puppet, a freakin rocket arm, and Tetris. Then again, I guess it makes sense because it's all just a computer simulation. But still, 1's felt more real overall.

ZeroX03

Banned
So how is Toko allowed in the Future Foundation? Or even allowed to roam the streets in Another Episode? The whole world should be well aware she's a serial killer, even if it is played for laughs most of the time. She's not as bad as Junko, but she's still pretty horrible.

Soooo.... I know that Hajime post op was "supposed" to be the Ultimate Hope, but is that what he was at the end of the simulation? I was honestly expecting them to call him the Ultimate Future or some shit (Just felt like it would fit after the Future machine gun action).

Also, I expected Ultimate Despair from the moment that I saw "Ultimate D-" at the intro scene. Not quite like that though...

Labrys

So how is Toko allowed in the Future Foundation? Or even allowed to roam the streets in Another Episode? The whole world should be well aware she's a serial killer, even if it is played for laughs most of the time. She's not as bad as Junko, but she's still pretty horrible.

My theory is before she joins the future foundation, Genocider kicks in and finds Makoto's sister and then Another Episode happens, then after she makes her way back to Future Foundation. In the epilogue either Makoto or Kyoko (i forget) says "someone is waiting" for Byakuya, and that's implied to be Toko.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that is weird, though do we have a concrete timeline between the time the DR2 cast attended Hope's Peak and the DR1 cast did? Maybe Byakuya wasn't attending at the time.

Also, DR1's Killing School Life was broadcasted on TV, right? So Makoto's sister should theoretically know about it?

MSMrRound

was it ever explained why the ultimate impostor decided to pose as obese byakuya?

fan theory is that he's another member of the Togami clan (e.g Byakuya competed with his siblings and was deemed the only one worthy enough of his title of "heir" to the entire Togami corporation. The rest of the siblings lost their identity in the world or something like that.

"In Byakuya's generation there were fifteen candidates in all, both male and female; they fought for the headship, and in the end, he, the youngest male, came out on top. It was the first time in the family’s history that the youngest had ever “taken the crown”.

The losing siblings were exiled from the family, but Byakuya harshly described them as being “killed” because, according to him, “(to be in) exile is pretty much the same as death”."

So basically Twogami could have been one of the sibling exiled, and only wanted to impersonate Togami so that "he really have a place and identity in the world".

Also, note that in Chapter 5, at the end where stuff glitches out, you can visit Twogami at his cottage and he was asking something along the lines of "fate of the Togami clan" even though he really had no particular reason to be asking that. (Unless he really belonged to the Togami clan in some form of way. *GASP*)

About Naegi's sister Komaru, there's a popular theory that she was also enrolled to Hope's Peak.

E.g

This was the picture Naegi saw in the video Monokuma sent to them in DR1. Notice the uniform Komaru had on.

Does something seem familiar? (Ibuki was said to be in another grade, so she had another Hope Peak school uniform on)

Yeah, that is weird, though do we have a concrete timeline between the time the DR2 cast attended Hope's Peak and the DR1 cast did? Maybe Byakuya wasn't attending at the time.

Also, DR1's Killing School Life was broadcasted on TV, right? So Makoto's sister should theoretically know about it?

Ultimate Imposter and I think the rest of the cast are confirmed to be older than the DR1 cast. Biggest tip-off is Nagito's presence, as there is only 1 Ultimate Luck per year and DR1 class was the final year.

FluxWaveZ

Ultimate Imposter and I think the rest of the cast are confirmed to be older than the DR1 cast. Biggest tip-off is Nagito's presence, as there is only 1 Ultimate Luck per year and DR1 class was the final year.

Oh, I know that, but were Ultimate Imposter and Ultimate Affluent Progeny attending Hope's Peak Academy at the same time? What would be weird is if the "Ultimate Imposter" was masquerading as Byakuya, if the actual Byakuya was in the same school, at the same time.

I guess, considering that, the assumption would be that the DR2 cast graduated before the DR1 cast entered.

DaBoss

Oh, I know that, but were Ultimate Imposter and Ultimate Affluent Progeny attending Hope's Peak Academy at the same time? What would be weird is if the "Ultimate Imposter" was masquerading as Byakuya, if the actual Byakuya was in the same school, at the same time.
I doubt that happened.

Busaiku

I mean, he had to have been posing as him at least when he entered the school. Who knows why.
Of course the school knew he wasn't Byakuya.

Jintor

At one point when I was seeing screenshots of the game prior to knowing about it, I thought she actually was the main character.

I was bummed when I learned that it was still a guy.

I managed to info blackout on most of Dr, but I genuinely thought chiaki was the protag literally until I actually started playing

ZeroX03

Banned
My theory is before she joins the future foundation, Genocider kicks in and finds Makoto's sister and then Another Episode happens, then after she makes her way back to Future Foundation. In the epilogue either Makoto or Kyoko (i forget) says "someone is waiting" for Byakuya, and that's implied to be Toko.

Doesn't really explain why she isn't locked up. Why would the Future Foundation want a lunatic serial killer on the loose? Even if she kills despair-folks in AE, she still has that propensity toward cute boys.

Interesting in a game full of consequences for killers, Toko is mostly a comical character.

I imagine FF is fine with Jill helping in the fight against despair provided she's properly monitored and are delaying locking her up until some level of order returns to the world.

Of course AE could completely kill this theory, so who knows.

Steel

Banned
About Naegi's sister Komaru, there's a popular theory that she was also enrolled to Hope's Peak.

tumblr_inline_nadx8dBAhq1rl1l6p.jpg

E.g

This was the picture Naegi saw in the video Monokuma sent to them in DR1. Notice the uniform Komaru had on.

A bit of a tangent, but komaru doesn't have an Ahoge there. What does it mean!?

A bit of a tangent, but komaru doesn't have an Ahoge there. What does it mean!?

Toko didn't have one in the first game either and now has one in Absolute Despair Girl.
Maybe it's how they ~*bond

But actually the main character thing is the most plausible explanation, given that Toko is a main character in that game as well. (in D/Z
Yasuke has one, but Ryoko does not
, so I'm going to assume you can't be evil and have one at the same time, since Hajmie lost his when he was an SHSL Despair)

Moonlight

Banned
Toko didn't have one in the first game either and now has one in Absolute Despair Girl.
Maybe it's how they ~*bond

But actually the main character thing is the most plausible explanation, given that Toko is a main character in that game as well. (in D/Z
Yasuke has one, but Ryoko does not
, so I'm going to assume you can't be evil and have one at the same time, since Hajmie lost his when he was an SHSL Despair)
Ahoge = hope, got it.

Top Bottom