• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Necrovex

Um... wouldn't he have been consumed by despair prior to that point? Unless you're saying he accidentally cooked his mother and ate her, and then fell into despair after realizing what he did?

This wasn't a fleshed out thought! It just popped into my head as I had a few minutes to burn at work. But yeah, let's go with your alteration. ;-)

Is this canon or some fan theory?

It's something I randomly thought up. Now if it is a fan theory, I reached it by mere coincidence.

Isotope

That's such a cute drawing of Mahiru. I think what I like most about Mahiru is that she's not some ridiculous, exaggerated character with humongous knockers. She was just a normal, nice person. (For the most part)

That's pretty much why Mahiru is one of my favorites; with all of the students crazy/special in their own way, she seems like the most normal one of all of them.

I just wonder what she did to become an Ultimate Despair. :<

FluxWaveZ

I just wonder what she did to become an Ultimate Despair. :<

It's not so much what one did, but what one experienced or was subjected to. She obviously has an issue with men. Could be something related.

If there's one character I wish could have survived longer, it'd probably be her.

PK Gaming

She probably fell into Despair when her best friend (Sato, a.k.a girl E) died. She probably felt responsible because:

(1) Sato confronted Kuzuryuu's little sis because of her
(2) Sato died because of Mahiru's photo evidence

After experiencing that, I could see her succumbing to some Despairification, el-Junko style.

If there's one character I wish could have survived longer, it'd probably be her.

Definitely, she would have been great in the later chapters. As much as a I love Chiaki, I think she would have been a more interesting partner.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's not so much what one did, but what one experienced or was subjected to. She obviously has an issue with men. Could be something related.

I thought it was most likely due to covering up the photos of Fuhujiko's sister? Especially after finding out that Girl E ended up dying too. I still find that chapter surreal, knowing it was a real case at the academy.

OceanBlue

It could also have to do with how she takes pictures. If I remember correctly, she mentions in her FTEs that her primary subjects are people smiling and that she wanted to try diversifying to follow in her mother's footsteps.

Moonlight

Banned
Here's the source for it.

Since we're posting fanart now, here's the full image of my avatar:

V492YB4.jpg
Not gonna lie, that's awesome as hell. Mahiru didn't really make a real impression on me during the main game, but her FTEs and School Mode stuff was legit.

FluxWaveZ

It could also have to do with how she takes pictures. If I remember correctly, she mentions in her FTEs that her primary subjects are people smiling and that she wanted to try diversifying to follow in her mother's footsteps.

That's true too; I imagine she wouldn't be too into capturing images of smiling people as an Ultimate Despair. Or maybe she would, in a twisted way.

Well that's why I used the words "most likely" since it is some sort of evidence that we do have.

Ah, I see; I thought you formed it like a question because there was some answer or supporting evidence. It's all just theories; they probably always will be unless their backgrounds are really explored in any future game.

kewlmyc

Not gonna lie, that's awesome as hell. Mahiru didn't really make a real impression on me during the main game, but her FTEs and School Mode stuff was legit.

She was thirsty as hell in her FTEs, it was actually kinda funny. Made me like her character more. Having a crappy father sucks.

PK Gaming

she could've been a great lead, actually.

->Self esteem issues
->Subdued personality and mild design (at least in comparison to the rest)
->Actually tries to help out during trials
->Isn't a super investigator like Nagito/Chiaki, but reasonably sharp
->Genuinely a nice person
->Good head on her shoulders

All she needed was an ahoge, and she'd set.

Gazoinks

->Self esteem issues

hPgG6bb.png

Hello I am Mahirukoto

PKGaming

Banned
I feel like Dangan Ronpa 1 overall had better and more interesting characters than 2.....and yet I have more favorite characters from 2 than 1. How does that work?

Fav Characters in 1:
Sakura
Kyoko
Mondo
Hiro
Junko

Fav Characters in 2:
Chiaki
Ibuki
Gundham
Fuyuhiko
Kazuichi
Nagito

->Self esteem issues

I feel that she would have worked better in the first game than the second. She could have been a good supportive character that the first game needed while this game, you have enough people she gets outshine and forgotten.

I'd totally be down with having a female character as the lead in the next game. Oh, but then it'd turn out she was Junko all along. DAMN YOU, JUNKO!

Finally got to seeing NISA's translation of SDR2.

Not even NISA could possibly ruin this line. It hurts every time.

ByP7bNYIMAEEad8.jpg:large

I can't believe she isn't even real within a game, WITHIN A GAME. It's like Spike-Chunsoft is trying to offer some sort of commentary on waifus or something...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
She was thirsty as hell in her FTEs, it was actually kinda funny. Made me like her character more. Having a crappy father sucks.
Not to mention in Island Mode, if you go to the beach, "Let's take it all off" results in a "really good time" because she doesn't mind taking pictures of Hajime naked.

I feel that she would have worked better in the first game than the second. She could have been a good supportive character that the first game needed while this game, you have enough people she gets outshine and forgotten.
This is actually a good point. I didn't mind her, especially when I learned more via FTEs, but she just doesn't stand out when compared to the rest of the DR2 cast. It's a shame, because I felt like I wanted to like her more, but she was the 2nd victim so you had to most likely wait until Island Mode to fully get her character development.

Yeah, I agree on this. Mahiru is a character I want to like, but she really gets swept under the rug because the rest of the cast's personalities are so much more exaggerated and outlandish than the DR1 cast.

I feel like Dangan Ronpa 1 overall had better and more interesting characters than 2.....and yet I have more favorite characters from 2 than 1. How does that work?
I feel exactly the same way, DR1 had the better cast overall and yet when I think about my favourites from the series so far there are far more from DR2 - Kyouko, Chihiro, Mondo and Mukuro from 1 versus Chiaki, Fuyuhiko, Mikan, Hiyoko, Sonia, Nekomaru, Ibuki and Gundham from 2.

If I had to make a guess I'd say it ties in with how I feel about Mahiru - DR1's cast meshed together perfectly considering the situation they were in, DR2's cast is a real bunch of misfits in comparison. Because of that, individually the DR2 characters have far more impact, but when you take the cast as a whole it's not as good as the original.

Moonlight

Banned
I always thought DR2's cast was a strict upgrade in almost all respects from DR1. From an individual standpoint (to the extent I had so many favourite characters and literally all of them but Sonia died :negative:) and from a group standpoint. Because really, there wasn't much a 'group dynamic' in DR1 at all. Characters stuck to cliques and the morning breakfast was a formality that was half the time ignored by a number of people for any number of reasons. Some characters felt totally out-of-place in every situation, too, like Yasuhiro. The only time that the 'group' actually galvanizes is around the time that Sakura's real letter is revealed, and not many people were actually left by that point.

Admittedly, there's perfectly good reasons for it - DR1 sets a very different, outright uncooperative tone within the group. People openly distrust other people and they form cliques because they feel safer dealing with them than the whole, but it didn't make for anything particularly 'cohesive'. I can totally understand preferring this, but I can't really agree that DR1's characters 'meshed' better than the characters in DR2 by virtue of not meshing at all. DR2 was a lot more invested in showing how everyone got along in the group. There's a lot more 'group activity' events where everyone's having fun or playing off each other, and a far more forward and cooperative tone amongst them, plus the optional events that often grouped characters that otherwise never got to interact with each other much together for a nice little event.

I found myself much more keen on DR2's approach, really.

I think it's a little clever, too. The world's last hope were bottled up in Hope's Peak by Monokuma and they immediately drew lines and distrusted each other. The Ultimate Despairs get put in the same situation and they more or less established a general atmosphere of trust fairly quickly.

Moonlight

Banned
Well, I meant in a mainline game. lol
According to the Makoto's Worst Day Ever short story, the student that was supposed to be selected for the Ultimate Lucky Student position for that year was a girl. Her envelope got destroyed in a series of events that Makoto wound up kicking off, though (making him the Ultimate Unlucky Student :lol). If her luck's still holding up, maybe she's still alive and she'll be the next game's protagonist!

kewlmyc

I always thought DR2's cast was a strict upgrade in almost all respects from DR1. From an individual standpoint (to the extent I had so many favourite characters and literally all of them but Sonia died :negative:) and from a group standpoint. Because really, there wasn't much a 'group dynamic' in DR1 at all. Characters stuck to cliques and the morning breakfast was a formality that was half the time ignored by a number of people for any number of reasons. Some characters felt totally out-of-place in every situation, too, like Yasuhiro. The only time that the 'group' actually galvanizes is around the time that Sakura's real letter is revealed, and not many people were actually left by that point.

Admittedly, there's perfectly good reasons for it - DR1 sets a very different, outright uncooperative tone within the group. People openly distrust other people and they form cliques because they feel safer dealing with them than the whole, but it didn't make for anything particularly 'cohesive'. I can totally understand preferring this, but I can't really agree that DR1's characters 'meshed' better than the characters in DR2 by virtue of not meshing at all. DR2 was a lot more invested in showing how everyone got along in the group. There's a lot more 'group activity' events where everyone's having fun or playing off each other, and a far more forward and cooperative tone amongst them, plus the optional events that often grouped characters that otherwise never got to interact with each other much together for a nice little event.

I found myself much more keen on DR2's approach, really.

I think it's a little clever, too. The world's last hope were bottled up in Hope's Peak by Monokuma and they immediately drew lines and distrusted each other. The Ultimate Despairs get put in the same situation and they more or less established a general atmosphere of trust fairly quickly.

Mostly due to Twogami though. I doubt it would have been the same otherwise. Also the DR2 crew wasn't immediately thrown into the death game. They had at least a few hours of fun an relaxation with a pretty cool environment before the death game began. The DR1 crew got thrown in it right from the start.

OceanBlue

Mostly due to Twogami though. I doubt it would have been the same otherwise. Also the DR2 crew wasn't immediately thrown into the death game. They had at least a few hours of fun an relaxation with a pretty cool environment before the death game began. The DR1 crew got thrown in it right from the start.

Yeah, Twogami is definitely responsible for a lot of it. That said, they still do a pretty decent job considering they know one of them is a traitor from the beginning.

FluxWaveZ

The DR1 cast had a higher number of "sketchier" people who didn't seem immediately trustworthy compared to DR2, which I appreciated more than the underlying sense of camaraderie that the DR2 cast had. It gave DR2 a different group dynamic, which was good.

According to the Makoto's Worst Day Ever short story, the student that was supposed to be selected for the Ultimate Lucky Student position for that year was a girl. Her envelope got destroyed in a series of events that Makoto wound up kicking off, though (making him the Ultimate Unlucky Student :lol). If her luck's still holding up, maybe she's still alive and she'll be the next game's protagonist!

Oh yeah. Forgot about her. And thanks to Makoto, she was saved from what would follow. Maybe she's the true Ultimate Lucky Student. No drawbacks or anything like that. Things just go her way.

By meshed I don't quite mean that they all got on with one another, more that their personalities were all mostly on par with another despite having their various quirks - you didn't really find certain characters dominating the screentime as you do with DR2. Mahiru and Peko were completely sidelined and to some extent Akane and Ibuki didn't really have any chance to shine either.

Oh, I've never done a ranking

Ibuki Mioda
Chiaki Nanami
Mahiru Koizumi
Nekomaru Nidai
Kazuichi Soda
Nagito Komaeda
Sonia Nevermind
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
Gundham Tanaka
Hajime Hinata
Mikan Tsumiki
Peko Pekoyama
Teruteru Hanamura
Akane Owari
"Byakuga Togami"
Hiyoko Saionji

Also, what if

What if the Ultimate Impostor was in DR1 as Hifumi and the Ultimate Impostor in this game was actually another Ultimate Impostor impersonating the Ultimate Impostor impersonating Byakuga Togami

It's the perfect impersonation

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, that's true. It's kinda funny to think about nonetheless. :p

Oh yeah. Forgot about her. And thanks to Makoto, she was saved from what would follow. Maybe she's the true Ultimate Lucky Student. No drawbacks or anything like that. Things just go her way.
I think it'd be a little interesting if there was an Ultimate Lucky Student totally unlike Makoto or Nagito, whom instead of thinking little of it or actively self-loathing themselves over it, actually totally embraced it as a 'talent' and even felt it made them superior to other people (thanks to a life of having no troubles). Probably wouldn't make for very good protagonist, but it'd make for a neat contrast IMO.

By meshed I don't quite mean that they all got on with one another, more that their personalities were all mostly on par with another despite having their various quirks - you didn't really find certain characters dominating the screentime as you do with DR2. Mahiru and Peko were completely sidelined and to some extent Akane and Ibuki didn't really have any chance to shine either.
Ah, I see. Although I'd say there were definitely certain characters in DR1 that got similarly sidelined (or outright interrupted in the middle of character development, heh) in DR1. A consequence of such a large cast, I think.

And I'd say Ibuki definitely had a good deal of focus, especially if you were hooked into the optional events involving her. Admittedly, a large part of that focus is in the chapter she dies in.
q1bxE71.png

You are right, though, in that Peko doesn't really get the attention that she deserved.

FluxWaveZ

I think it'd be a little interesting if there was an Ultimate Lucky Student totally unlike Makoto or Nagito, whom instead of thinking little of it or actively self-loathing themselves over it, actually totally embraced it as a 'talent' and even felt it made them superior to other people (thanks to a life of having no troubles).

Wait, but Nagito is totally like that, except for the part where he thinks it makes him superior to others (and, even then, he might actually think as such after discovering the truth when he starts looking down on everyone). His talent is one of the only things he trusts in next to hope, and it's also the reason for his confidence throughout the entire game (which is referred to in a few scenes).

I was thinking more someone who's spent their life with a serendipitous silver spoon in their mouth. Nagito's luck was a pendulum on two extremes that completely shaped his world outlook, Makoto's life was totally normal up until he finds himself caught up in the Hope's Peak incident (although does luck out during his intended execution), I was thinking someone who's straight up never had to deal with hardship and always got what they wanted, simply because fate spoiled them that way. Someone who's the Ultimate Lucky Student and sees it as just as legitimate (if not more) a title as any other 'Ultimate' talent.

Ah, I see. That could be an interesting twist if it had to happen again, but I don't know if I'd want to necessarily see it after Nagito already made it so "luck" was a genuine aspect of his talent that factored into the story several times. It could feel as redundant as Junko returning, heh.

Moonlight

Banned
Wait, but Nagito is totally like that, except for the part where he thinks it makes him superior to others (and, even then, he might actually think as such after discovering the truth when he starts looking down on everyone). His talent is one of the only things he trusts in next to hope, and it's also the reason for his confidence throughout the entire game (which is referred to in a few scenes).
Well, I mean, while Nagito may have had absolute faith in his Ultimate Luck, he also saw it as a pathetic 'talent' to have in general. Nothing that could measure up to 'true' talent. He had faith in it (which was where his confidence was) and certainly embraced its' benefits, but I don't think he was ever proud of it.

I was thinking more someone who's spent their life with a serendipitous silver spoon in their mouth. Nagito's luck was a pendulum on two extremes that completely shaped his world outlook, Makoto's life was totally normal up until he finds himself caught up in the Hope's Peak incident (although does luck out during his intended execution), I was thinking someone who's straight up never had to deal with hardship and always got what they wanted, simply because fate spoiled them that way. Someone who's the Ultimate Lucky Student and sees it as just as legitimate (if not more) a title as any other 'Ultimate' talent.

she could've been a great lead, actually.
Yeah, she'd be a sweet main character.

I wonder what the protag of DR3 will be like. Makoto and Hajime were pretty similar, in both design and personality. I'm hoping they go in a different direction next time. (I'm interested to see how Komaru handles herself too.)

Gazoinks

Yeah, she'd be a sweet main character.

I wonder what the protag of DR3 will be like. Makoto and Hajime were pretty similar, in both design and personality. I'm hoping they go in a different direction next time. (I'm interested to see how Komaru handles herself too.)

DR3's protagonist is The Ultimate Ahoge. He is an ahoge with arms and legs.

Female characters that are all into the hope and stuff could be cool. We'll see how Komaru is in that regard, but I imagine she'll have some degree of optimism provided that runs in the family.

petghost

Banned
the hope shtick is a little worn out and kinda flimsy anyhow imo...its certainly not something worth building a character around. just kind of cheesy.

give me some cynicism! thats why i liked hajime over makoto, he wasnt a one man canned motivational speech and had some other aspects to his personality.

Top Bottom