• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Jintor

Kind of funny to realise izuru, ie hajime, totally flipped out and caused the original tragedy at hope's peak. (Of course hope's peak was always really fucked up, and it was probably junko's fault anyway, but it's still really weird to realise protag was seriously effed up before the mindwiping)

So how did hajime remember goddamn anything after they escaped, anyway

Chiaki did.

Not just Chiaki... Magical Girl Miracle ☆ Usami as well!
Forgotten again ...
9e9eYfy.png

Rubedo

Probably not. I'm sure she'll pull an Alter Ego and pop in future games. Usami too.

Everyone lives. Hope wins.

I'd be fine with the AIs surviving but I just think it'd be lame to bring back the others. Too happy and convenient.

And the DR1 cast didn't get to do that.

I'd be fine with the AIs surviving but I just think it'd be lame to bring back the others. Too happy and convenient.

Yes, I recall. Are you sure you're not Junko? ;P

As a consolation, I bet future DR participants won't be as lucky as the DR2 cast.

GoldStarz

Maybe, but the DR1 cast wasn't
manipulated, brainwashed, or put into no-win scenarios by an all-knowing AI who knew exactly what motive would trigger what reaction. They chose to kill of their own choice by, of Junko's own admission, generic motives that are usually involved in any type of petty murders,

Rubedo

Yes, I recall. Are you sure you're not Junko? ;P

As a consolation, I bet future DR participants won't be as lucky as the DR2 cast.

I just don't like it when people are killed off and then come back just because they were popular.

And having everyone actually be alive just feels too convenient. Death should be a very permanent thing. If they can just undo it, that's too happy. One thing I liked about the first one was it wasn't afraid to kill off people you love permanently and make you feel that pain and despair. If the series wimps out and starts bringing people back, that sting is sorta lost. Part of the effectiveness of the deaths are because they are permanent. It stings because you know you won't see these people again and that's the way it works in life. That's what makes you despair over them. That's pretty much the point of killing people in stories. Take that away and it isn't as good IMO.

I just don't like it when people are killed off and then come back just because they were popular.

And having everyone actually be alive just feels too convenient. Death should be a very permanent thing. If they can just undo it, that's too happy. One thing I liked about the first one was it wasn't afraid to kill off people you love permanently and make you feel that pain and despair. If the series wimps out and starts bringing people back, that sting is sorta lost. Part of the effectiveness of the deaths are because they are permanent. It stings because you know you won't see these people again and that's the way it works in life. That's what makes you despair over them. That's pretty much the point of killing people in stories. Take that away and it isn't as good IMO.
I don't see how popularity comes into it as the story was completed before the game was released.

Anyway, as I said before, I see your reasoning, but I don't agree with it. Death is not the only way to convey loss or despair, and these guys aren't walking up in a bed of roses. Their lives are forever changed, and they've all been responsible for some truly heinous stuff. Many of them probably look like total freaks now too. Even if/when they do wake up, they've got a long, hard road a head of them.

(And they didn't actually die, despite what Junko/Makoto said. Those two don't have full understanding of the Neo World Program, as evident by Hajime & co's actions going against their adamant proclamations.)

You mean triplet.
Were Junko and Mukuro twins? I don't remember.

I thought Mukuro was older older.

They're twins, it's just older as in was out of the womb first. Japan seems to really focus on that aspect of twins.

They are twins, Mukuro was born first so is the older one. The identity plotline wouldn't have worked so well if they weren't twins.
I guess. Though they must be fraternal because they don't look the same at all besides a similar body type.

Well then, bring on the long lost triplet! (Though really don't. I want a brand new villain, from a totally different group.)

Rubedo

I don't see how popularity comes into it as the story was completed before the game was released.

Anyway, as I said before, I see your reasoning, but I don't agree with it. Death is not the only way to convey loss or despair, and these guys aren't walking up in a bed of roses. Their lives are forever changed, and they've all been responsible for some truly heinous stuff. Many of them probably look like total freaks now too. Even if/when they do wake up, they've got a long, hard road a head of them.

(And they didn't actually die, despite what Junko/Makoto said. Those two don't have full understanding of the Neo World Program, as evident by Hajime & co's actions going against their adamant proclamations.)

By popularity, I mean if they decide to bring them back just because they know people like them and it would make them happy.

And they were going to have to deal with being Ultimate Despairs either way. They got over most of the drawbacks that were supposed to happen with the choice they made so I'd like it if they at least kept one.

The reason the first one's ending was so good to me was because it was very pyrrhic in nature. Yes they won but the world is torn apart and their friends are gone. They made their choice to live with that though and they fully go into the future knowing they lost a lot to win.

With the second one, the drawbacks were reverting to Ultimate Despairs and probably not being able to revive their friends. Well obviously the first one didn't matter much. Hajime seems fine so if the rest were brought back they could probably just do what he did and choose to live like their island selves. Boom. No real problem. That undermines the fact that the choice was supposed to have drawbacks. If they can live and they can get over the Depair thing, there's really no bad side to that choice.

But if they don't live, we at least get some semblance of the choice actually being a difficult one. In that scenario, they gave up the luxury of being with their friends in order to pave a new future and live out their lives without the Despair side being in control.

Having to deal with their past isn't as big of a loss as death when they can get over it and be pretty normal like Hajime. If they have to lose something (their friends) to gain something greater (a future) then that's very fitting to a series in which it is shown over and over again that Hope can win but not without loss.

By popularity, I mean if they decide to bring them back just because they know people like them and it would make them happy.

And they were going to have to deal with being Ultimate Despairs either way. They got over most of the drawbacks that were supposed to happen with the choice they made so I'd like it if they at least kept one.

The reason the first one's ending was so good to me was because it was very pyrrhic in nature. Yes they won but the world is torn apart and their friends are gone. They made their choice to live with that though and they fully go into the future knowing they lost a lot to win.

With the second one, the drawbacks were reverting to Ultimate Despairs and probably not being able to revive their friends. Well obviously the first one didn't matter much. Hajime seems fine so if the rest were brought back they could probably just do what he did and choose to live like their island selves. Boom. No real problem. That undermines the fact that the choice was supposed to have drawbacks. If they can live and they can get over the Depair thing, there's really no bad side to that choice.

But if they don't live, we at least get some semblance of the choice actually being a difficult one. In that scenario, they gave up the luxury of being with their friends in order to pave a new future and live out their lives without the Despair side being in control.

Having to deal with their past isn't as big of a loss as death when they can get over it and be pretty normal like Hajime. If they have to lose something (their friends) to gain something greater (a future) then that's very fitting to a series in which it is shown over and over again that Hope can win but not without loss.
I'm not sure how easy it'll be to "get over" having been a part of a terrorist organization that's responsible for countless deaths, some of which were probably most/all of their loved ones. Or the assumed body mutilations. I don't think Hajime was "fine" afterwards, just because he's choosing to embrace hope. He's still got years of messed up stuff to deal with. In some ways it's a worse fate than death IMO.

And their choice of how to end the Neo World Program was an embodiment of the entire theme of the game, choosing your own path, not blindly following what's thrown at you. Chiaki's speech encapsulates this beautifully. These students were being used by both Junko and the Future Foundation, and they chose to rebuke both and forge their own path. I'm sorry you wanted the deaths to stick, but they didn't. This is the reality the writers chose, and I personally think it's far more interesting. And I don't think it's a cop out or an "easy path" in any way.

Steel

Banned
Well, Another Episode gives them a perfect opportunity to do so without screwing with consequence, considering the timeline and the preview images.

Zephyx

Anyone here importing or buying Another Episode? I think it comes out tomorrow. :) I need your impressions so I'll know whether to spoil myself or not. Thanks in advance~

So I noticed this while in the sound gallery last night, the characters on the side scroll through the all the characters featured in the game - the DR2 cast, Monokuma, Usami, Junko, Mechamaru, Kirigiri, Naegi and true Byakuya - however there is one character silhouette I can't quite work out. It's definitely not Alter Ego, the only character it looks similar to is Komaru before the Another Episode redesign, but then it makes no sense why she'd be the only character to pop up which isn't featured in the game.

x02Hh82.jpg

I think it's fair to say that the ending may be based on Nagito's philosophy, that good luck always follows bad luck. For the group, the bad luck was being put at risk in the first place by *Junko. Following this, the idea that everyone lived is ultimately the good luck that followed.

I always thought DR2's cast was a strict upgrade in almost all respects from DR1. From an individual standpoint (to the extent I had so many favourite characters and literally all of them but Sonia died :negative:) and from a group standpoint. Because really, there wasn't much a 'group dynamic' in DR1 at all. Characters stuck to cliques and the morning breakfast was a formality that was half the time ignored by a number of people for any number of reasons. Some characters felt totally out-of-place in every situation, too, like Yasuhiro. The only time that the 'group' actually galvanizes is around the time that Sakura's real letter is revealed, and not many people were actually left by that point.

Admittedly, there's perfectly good reasons for it - DR1 sets a very different, outright uncooperative tone within the group. People openly distrust other people and they form cliques because they feel safer dealing with them than the whole, but it didn't make for anything particularly 'cohesive'. I can totally understand preferring this, but I can't really agree that DR1's characters 'meshed' better than the characters in DR2 by virtue of not meshing at all. DR2 was a lot more invested in showing how everyone got along in the group. There's a lot more 'group activity' events where everyone's having fun or playing off each other, and a far more forward and cooperative tone amongst them, plus the optional events that often grouped characters that otherwise never got to interact with each other much together for a nice little event.

I found myself much more keen on DR2's approach, really.

I think it's a little clever, too. The world's last hope were bottled up in Hope's Peak by Monokuma and they immediately drew lines and distrusted each other. The Ultimate Despairs get put in the same situation and they more or less established a general atmosphere of trust fairly quickly.

The way my sister put it a while back is that the DR1 cast was written like mystery game characters (everyone has something to hide, etc.) while the DR2 cast was written more like "social link" game characters, which contributes to this a bit.

But yeah, I'd say DR2 has the better cast while DR1 has the better story (if only because I'm still annoyed at how chapter 6 in DR2 went down.)

Blackage

Is there any art of the Ultimate Despairs as the Ultimate Despairs as opposed to their High School Avatars? :eek: Seems the only 2 we see clearly are
Nagito/Hajime

Also based off of the image here:

http://danganronpa.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Despair

And the description, it would probably be safe to say that
Fuyuhiko is the guy that lost his eye, Sonia murdered her parents the King/Queen, Teruteru & Kazuichi plowed Junko's corpse, Akane starved herself?

It's definitely not Alter Ego, the only character it looks similar to is Komaru before the Another Episode redesign, but then it makes no sense why she'd be the only character to pop up which isn't featured in the game.
But she shows up in the movie theater poster. I could see them putting her in for a reference.

Is there any art of the Ultimate Despairs as the Ultimate Despairs as opposed to their High School Avatars? :eek: Seems the only 2 we see clearly are
Nagito/Hajime

Also based off of the image here:

http://danganronpa.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Despair

And the description, it would probably be safe to say that
Fuyuhiko is the guy that lost his eye, Sonia murdered her parents the King/Queen, Teruteru & Kazuichi plowed Junko's corpse, Akane starved herself?
I want to say that since there are 5 depictions of horror and 5 students left, each picture represented one of them. I'd say yours guesses are probably accurate.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, so the voices were for the same character in Japanese as well as the English dub? Man, no wonder people were thinking Makoto & Nagito were the same person.

I'll be completely content if everybody gets a happy ending not just half the cast.

Wait, so the voices were for the same character in Japanese as well as the English dub? Man, no wonder people were thinking Makoto & Nagito were the same person.

Yep, and Togami and Twogami had the same voice actor too in Japanese.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well I fully understand Feep & his JPN counterpart voicing both characters since the Ultimate Imposter would have to get the voice down as well in order to fully fool people he was someone else. But adding the voice acting into the pile of evidence of Makoto & Nagito being the same person just makes the fact that they WEREN'T kind of more surprising since at this rate, you were expecting it.

Rubedo

I'll be completely content if everybody gets a happy ending not just half the cast.

Well that's something I liked about the first one. It wasn't afraid to end without a happy ending. There was hope there but for the most part it was dark and oppressive. I felt like that was the perfect tone for the series.

The second one feels more the opposite. There's some bad but for the most part it's happy. I just don't find that as interesting especially when the first was willing to just let the despair of the world's demise and all the deaths be permanent.

Top Bottom