• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

george_us

Just got back from seeing it, thought it was fucking epic. Some absolutely gorgeous cinematography (especially in the Millennium Falcon dog fight) and I loved Finn and Rey. One question though: Is Finn force sensitive? I thought they hinted at it but I wasn't certain. I'm also not afraid to confess that I teared up a bit when Han gets killed.

I wonder how long Disney will be able to resist the temptation of releasing more than one SW movie a year. If Rogue One is releasing only 5 months before Episode VIII that's pretty close.

People are so interested in seeing what happens to Rey but I'm more interested in seeing all the different ways Finn can get his ass kicked. In one film alone he was btfo by a crappy cgi tentacle monster, a dank meme, and an emo pretty-boy that can't control his temper. What else can the galaxy throw at him that he miraculously survives?

neoism

I don't really see why she wouldn't become a Jedi in the end. The Jedi don't have to be defined by the code of the PT Jedi. They can be whatever Rey wants them to be since she'll inevitably refound the order after Luke dies.

There's no real reason she'd reject the Jedi title or that Lucasfilm would throw away that "brand".

no way that'll happen...

So is it known how long Luke was on that little island for?
seems really silly for him to do that anyway, just because Ren went bad... I mean did yoda do the same thing I cant remember who was his other student besides Luke??? I mean i still dont understand why Ren wants to be like his grandfather soo bad when he never met him.. I understand Skywalker's has dark and light in their blood so to speak but still... I wouldn't even have told him about Vador if I was Leia..

That line was not in the film, probably from one of Maz's scenes after the attack; rumors were she got cut down quite a bit.

The third trailer will always be the GOAT for me. I think they crafted one of the best trailers ever made; perfectly paced and cut, incredible build to a crescendo in the music, and it doesn't spoil any of the story. The international one definitely goes too far n that regard.

I think I might like the Chinese trailer a liiiiiitle bit better, but it's hard to argue with that music.

Eh, I wouldn't say that.

Abrams would.

-griffy-

Banned

It's a real dilemma that this toy sculpt of Poe looks decent, but he's got his jacket that Finn inherits, and more importantly is also worn by Finn's Black Series figure, whereas the solo figure of Poe in his orange flight suit looks like a depression era drunk/sad clown:
maxresdefault.jpg

I can't have a Finn and a Poe wearing the same damn jacket, and can't have a Poe that looks like he's falling asleep! Also Rey's Black Series figure looks like crap too, but it came with BB-8 so that's a bonus at least.

neoism

I wonder how long Disney will be able to resist the temptation of releasing more than one SW movie a year. If Rogue One is releasing only 5 months before Episode VIII that's pretty close.

People are so interested in seeing what happens to Rey but I'm more interested in seeing all the different ways Finn can get his ass kicked. In one film alone he was btfo by a crappy cgi tentacle monster, a dank meme, and an emo pretty-boy that can't control his temper. What else can the galaxy throw at him that he miraculously survives?

Personally this is a big mistake... plus the still pictures of Rouge one look terrible.. it doesn't even look like a movie that is releasing to theaters...(made for TV movie) one of the best things about SW is it hasn't been over done... a trilogy ever 10 years or so is ok but are they really going to release another movie between the main line movies... people will be sick of SWs by the time ep IX comes out.. This is coming from a fan of SW, Ima skip Rouge One... not anyone in the cast interests me..

That's not how ellipses work.

And the limits to which people "will be suck" of Star Wars haven't really been tested yet. Rogue One should be a pretty good test, I'd think.

It certainly seems as if Lucasfilm should give it a try, considering.

Hasn't seemed to hurt, say, Marvel, or Pixar.

Personally this is a big mistake... plus the still pictures of Rouge one look terrible.. it doesn't even look like a movie that is releasing to theaters...(made for TV movie) one of the best things about SW is it hasn't been over done... a trilogy ever 10 years or so is ok but are they really going to release another movie between the main line movies... people will be suck of SWs by the time ep IX comes out.. This is coming for a fan of SW Ima skip Rouge One... not anyone in the cast interests me..

Yeah im not really on board with this Spinnoff Movies either. Cant wait to see when people say that this movies suck because there are no jedis etc.

Megasoum

Banned
That line was not in the film, probably from one of Maz's scenes after the attack; rumors were she got cut down quite a bit.

The third trailer will always be the GOAT for me. I think they crafted one of the best trailers ever made; perfectly paced and cut, incredible build to a crescendo in the music, and it doesn't spoil any of the story. The international one definitely goes too far n that regard.

That trailer is just fucking INCREDIBLE... Even if I've seen the movie twice already I still get the same hype goosebumps watching this that I get when I first saw that trailer pre-release....

The editing and the music is just incredible.

Blader

Personally this is a big mistake... plus the still pictures of Rouge one look terrible.. it doesn't even look like a movie that is releasing to theaters...(made for TV movie) one of the best things about SW is it hasn't been over done... a trilogy ever 10 years or so is ok but are they really going to release another movie between the main line movies... people will be suck of SWs by the time ep IX comes out.. This is coming for a fan of SW Ima skip Rouge One... not anyone in the cast interests me..

What do we have other than the cast shot? Which is just a promo shot, and one that preceded the bulk of filming anyway.

Monocle

That's not how ellipses work.

And the limits to which people "will be suck" of Star Wars haven't really been tested yet. Rogue One should be a pretty good test, I'd think.

It certainly seems as if Lucasfilm should give it a try, considering.

Hasn't seemed to hurt, say, Marvel, or Pixar.
Apparently Rogue One has Vader in it. I think it's safe to say audiences will flock to the theater for that. And there's no way Ep. 8 will underperform.

shingi70

Banned
Yeah im not really on board with this Spinnoff Movies either. Cant wait to see when people say that this movies suck because there are no jedis etc.

While it's my favortie part of Star Wars, you don't need the Jedi. A good portion of the new canon doesn't even use them going for a much more sciish route and it works.

If Marvel can do it, Star Wars can. How many Star Wars movies are they planning in total?

In the cast shot from Rogue One, I swear one of the characters looks like one of the people from the second gang on Han's ship. Is that the case, or am I just tripping?

unfortunately, tripping...

The 2 asians on Han's ship was Rama and Mad Dog from "The Raid"
3789620-mad+dog.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
In the cast shot from Rogue One, I swear one of the characters looks like one of the people from the second gang on Han's ship. Is that the case, or am I just tripping?

DTXMGc2.png

This guy?

Could be mistaken but I think one of The Raid guys has a similar hairstyle.

Just got back from seeing it, thought it was fucking epic. Some absolutely gorgeous cinematography (especially in the Millennium Falcon dog fight) and I loved Finn and Rey. One question though: Is Finn force sensitive? I thought they hinted at it but I wasn't certain. I'm also not afraid to confess that I teared up a bit when Han gets killed.
When the planets are being hit by Starkiller, we hear the screaming of women, children, and such as Finn is packing up the ship he is taking off on. We only see 2 others with him. We look into sky, then it cuts to space and these planets being hit. Then we actually go to Coruscant, and we see a group of people who scream very much like Finn just heard. Then they go bye-bye. Then we're back on the planet, and Finn is running to a crowd of people outside Maz building, who are all staring at sky. Not a single child. Not a single person there is screaming or yelling in any way, shape or form. So! The editing would surely lead you to believe he is force sensitive. But the scenarios are as follow:

1) He is force sensitive, which is why he heard the screams
2) He isn't force sensitive, and they imposed the sounds of screams on the scene of Finn looking into sky out of laziness---they wanted to give us a red herring to think he is force sensitive without actually making sense of how he would hear those screams otherwise?
3) He isn't force sensitive, and they imposed the sounds of screams on the scene of Finn looking into the sky out of stupidity---example: there is no one ever shown around him that those screams could be coming from.

I know 2 and 3 are kind of the same, and I'm rambling while at the same time being passive aggressive towards the movie. But at this point, I'm fully expecting him to not be force sensitive and it is going to make me sad....

I can't forgive Abrams for just making them a cameo.

The baddie from The Raid 2 was with them also, standing right behind:

311897_049.jpg

GhaleonEB

That trailer is just fucking INCREDIBLE... Even if I've seen the movie twice already I still get the same hype goosebumps watching this that I get when I first saw that trailer pre-release....

The editing and the music is just incredible.

Pardon me going off on a tangent for a sec.

I avoided basically all marketing for TFW (well, all that I could anyways), which meant all I'd seen by the time it came out was the three trailers. Didn't watch the international trailer or TV spots, interviews, behind the scenes stuff, etc. Since seeing the film I've been going back and watching all of that kind of material, to see what kind of stuff they put out and learn more about it. (The cast interviews are amazing, good lord are they fun.)

I kind of chased that rabbit hole a ways and that led me to trailer reaction videos, which I've watched way too many of at this point.

This one is my favorite by far. Watch the little girl when that moment in the trailer hits. That's basically the personification of how I feel when that cue lands. :lol

When the planets are being hit by Starkiller, we hear the screaming of women, children, and such as Finn is packing up the ship he is taking off on. We only see 2 others with him. We look into sky, then it cuts to space and these planets being hit. Then we actually go to Coruscant, and we see a group of people who scream very much like Finn just heard. Then they go bye-bye. Then we're back on the planet, and Finn is running to a crowd of people outside Maz building, who are all staring at sky. Not a single child. Not a single person there is screaming or yelling in any way, shape or form. So! The editing would surely lead you to believe he is force sensitive. But the scenarios are as follow:

1) He is force sensitive, which is why he heard the screams
2) He isn't force sensitive, and they imposed the sounds of screams on the scene of Finn looking into sky out of laziness---they wanted to give us a red herring to think he is force sensitive without actually making sense of how he would hear those screams otherwise?
3) He isn't force sensitive, and they imposed the sounds of screams on the scene of Finn looking into the sky out of stupidity---example: there is no one ever shown around him that those screams could be coming from.

I know 2 and 3 are kind of the same, and I'm rambling while at the same time being passive aggressive towards the movie. But at this point, I'm fully expecting him to not be force sensitive and it is going to make me sad....
I kind of don't want Finn to be a full on Jedi, but I could roll with it. If he just turns out to be Force sensitive like Leia, I'd be alright with, too.

If it helps, this is what the script says:

EXT. MAZ' CASTLE - DAY

Finn boards the Alien Freighter. The SOUND FROM THE SKY makes him turn back. He sees the PATH OF FIRE and his blood runs cold, his heart sinks.

Could be audio of the next scene bleeding in.

The baddie from The Raid 2 was with them also, standing right behind:

311897_049.jpg
Damn it, Abrams *shakes fist*

They got hired on way too late.
They were almost done with production unfortunately.

They didn't die on screen, maybe they will show up later, tracking the Millennium Falcon and demanding Chewie pay up Han's debt.

I do hope they come back. They're too awesome to not use, but not famous enough to just get a single cameo.

I avoided basically all marketing for TFW (well, all that I could anyways), which meant all I'd seen by the time it came out was the three trailers. Didn't watch the international trailer or TV spots, interviews, behind the scenes stuff, etc. Since seeing the film I've been going back and watching all of that kind of material, to see what kind of stuff they put out and learn more about it. (The cast interviews are amazing, good lord are they fun.)

I kind of chased that rabbit hole a ways and that led me to trailer reaction videos, which I've watched way too many of at this point.

This one is my favorite by far. Watch the little girl when that moment in the trailer hits. That's basically the personification of how I feel when that cue lands. :lol

If you went down the rabbit hole then you probably saw this reaction vid.
Daisy Ridley (Rey) and John Boyega (Finn) watching the 3rd trailer for the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQBEBAoXjs
star-wars-force-awakens-trailer-reactions.jpg

Megasoum

Banned

This is great... Both for the dad's and the girl's reaction. She actually reminds me a lot of my niece (who's about the same age) and I could really see her reacting that way if she was into Star Wars...

Not

Banned
Daisy Ridley (Rey) and John Boyega (Finn) watching the 3rd trailer for the first time.

Made me smile

He shouts traitor to Finn. Because TR-8R is loyal to the end.

The Ultimate StormTrooper

Lasted longer than any stormtrooper in the history of the movie saga.

This^

TR8R = Traitor

Ah, thank you. That guy who shouts traitor is becoming the new Boba Fett are you freaking kidding me lol

Megasoum

Banned

I saw both reaction videos back when they were first released but first time I see that montage actually synced to the trailer... This is amazing.

Can you just imagine how you must feel to see yourself for the first time in a Star Wars movie like that with the CG shots in any everything?

I just had a moment for John Boyega where I was like "Holy shit, that's me raising my arms and standing next to Chewie and Solo!!!"... Man fucking amazing.

TR8R = Traitor

... God dammit lol... Never made that connection lol.

If Marvel can do it, Star Wars can. How many Star Wars movies are they planning in total?

At the moment 5 are planned for release before 2020

1) December 16th, 2016 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

2) May 26th, 2017 - Star Wars: Episode VIII

3) May 25th, 2018 - Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo

4) 2019 - Star Wars: Episode IX

5) 2020 - Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett

After 2020 who knows though thinking how Boba Fett became a fan favourite I can easily see the year 2021 seeing a film called "Star Wars Anthology: TR-8R the Traitorator".

Top Bottom