• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wait is this the actual title? That subtitle is terrible.

Better than the Episode VIII Title...

bfs0Mvt.png

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
For some reason, I just had a scary thought that there's a chance the trilogy could end with someone actually uttering the lines "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away"

Think that's all for it currently, but it's about the effort to get the plans for the original Death Star before ANH.

Han and Leia named their son after Ben Kenobi.

Ben nod?

I feel like him freaking out and jumping over the couch could be a great reaction gif to some hype shit popping off.

Half-life 3 announced? Boyegajumpingovercouch.gif

Every time I hear him yell out "Ben", gets me every time. Heavy stuff, You can feel the emotion in his voice.

The fact that Harrison Ford's actual son is named Ben, made it feel even more real.

I want a hype thread gif ready for the next Ninety direct.
Ridley in new NX Metroid = Boyega couch jump.gif

Not

Banned
For some reason, I just had a scary thought that there's a chance the trilogy could end with someone actually uttering the lines "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away"

Yup. The final movie in the Star Wars saga will take place on gritty, realistic, modern day Earth. It only makes sense. Hope Snyder directs.

Yup. The final movie in the Star Wars saga will take place on gritty, realistic, modern day Earth. It only makes sense. Hope Snyder directs.

It will be Michael Rymer
Battle Star Galactic 09 Finale director. FIANLE SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS You find out the main story took place "a long long time ago" before modern day earth

Nope. Some people just want it really bad.

It's not going to happen, either.

I mean BAD. If you type Darth into Google the 2nd search under Vader is Plagueis. Your average Joe until this started blowing up probably didn't even remember / doesn't know who that is. Its not Maul or any of the other more famous Sith

Besides both being gray bald alien and similar soundtrack, none.

Shit. I wish it would actually happen. That would be epic as fuck

the3ye

On my 2nd viewing I noticed Carrie is listed as Princess Leia in credits, weird.
And I still can't get the hug scene with her and Rey...

televator

I've been watching Avatar the Last Airbender on Amazon recently, and I laughed way too hard at an early scene where they come upon the remains of Aang's old teacher and Aang says "I really am the last Airbender." Was supposed to be super sad, too. :(

I was catching up on The Walking Dead last night, and watched Rick tell his group that they are... The Walking Dead. Goddamn GAF memes! lol

GhaleonEB

If you went down the rabbit hole then you probably saw this reaction vid.
Daisy Ridley (Rey) and John Boyega (Finn) watching the 3rd trailer for the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQBEBAoXjs
star-wars-force-awakens-trailer-reactions.jpg
I had seen Daisy and John's reactions separately, but not synced up like that. That sofa dive is already legendary but I love how misty eyed he gets during the trailer. That must have been an incredible feeling.

lmao John Boyega looks like he's watching a boxing match or something. You could probably sync it to the ROnda Rousey knockout.

Yeah, sofa dive at the end = knockout kick. :lol

The only good thing that could come out of the Snoke=Plagueis stuff is the breakdowns by all the nerds saying Disney wants nothing to do with the Prequels.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
FcC9YvU.jpg

We're going to learn that Kylo Ren made BB8.

Also never realized how much JJ looks like the guy from The Big Bang Theory...

Monocle

Pardon me going off on a tangent for a sec.

I avoided basically all marketing for TFW (well, all that I could anyways), which meant all I'd seen by the time it came out was the three trailers. Didn't watch the international trailer or TV spots, interviews, behind the scenes stuff, etc. Since seeing the film I've been going back and watching all of that kind of material, to see what kind of stuff they put out and learn more about it. (The cast interviews are amazing, good lord are they fun.)

I kind of chased that rabbit hole a ways and that led me to trailer reaction videos, which I've watched way too many of at this point.

This one is my favorite by far. Watch the little girl when that moment in the trailer hits. That's basically the personification of how I feel when that cue lands. :lol
People make fun of the reaction video trend, but you haven't lived until you've seen at least a few good Star Wars and Red Wedding reaction videos tbh.

More I think about the movie, the more I dislike the Maz character. Really brings the whole thing down for me. Worse than Jar Jar.
This is crazy to me. I love her voice and characterization. Jar Jar is a doofy looking slapstick character who ruins everything. Maz appears for like one key scene and never ruins the tone with wacky hijinks.

Woah, stop! I meant functionally in the story. Not purely as a character.

Jar Jar helped the Jedi reach the depths of Naboo then stayed with the party along with Padme to keep the story attentive to the main conflict being on Naboo as they went planet hopping. Then he further served as emissary to and representive for his society in the climax.

Maz shows up, throws some awkward jokes, spits exposition out, and overall comes off as a character meant to tie together different drafts of the script so that the party can get the lightsaber without much drama or needing to reveal anything they would want to save for the sequels. Then she just disappears, completely edited out it seems which irritated me. She seems like she could be an interesting character, but no deeper characterization that came through for me.

Furoba

Something I noticed after a second viewing.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, I am sure it has, but I believe Kylo Ren's mask is key to explaining how some scenes unfolded the way they did, negating some often heard criticism.

Kylo's mask is a powerful Sith Artifact, no doubt. It allows Kylo Ren to focus his hatred, and greatly increase his force power. The other Knights of Ren are using similar masks to increase their potential with the dark side.
But Kylo's training in the dark side of the force is not complete. His main issue is his self confidence / self image. He fears being weak. The mask serves the added purpose of hiding his former self, and making him appear strong (well it does also make him strong literally).

When Kylo takes off his mask for the first time during his interrogation of Rey, he wants to prove to himself he is strong and confident, even without the mask. Previous scenes with Snork and the First Order Commander left him frustrated and vulnerable. As a result, he wants to prove he does not need help (=the mask) to be strong, so takes off the mask.
But when he tries to intimidate/manipulate Rey without the mask, this quickly backfires. Rey exposes Kylo's fears, which causes him to panic and quickly retreat to seek the advice from Snork.
Some criticism has been that Rey's Force powers develop too quickly. I actually think Kylo's injury in addition to his lack of mask made him very weak. Weak enough for Rey to beat him. Not Rey miraculously becoming all powerful without training.

During the Han Solo / Kylo Ren face-off. through taking off his mask a second time, Kylo wishes to face his doubts and perceived weakness. When Kylo says he is unsure if he can do it, I think he actually means killing his father and fully embracing the dark side. He might have some conflicted feelings, but if he is to redeem himself, he has to kill his father. The last rays of sunlight disappearing in the background symbolizes Kylo's definite turn to the dark side.

Kin5290

More I think about the movie, the more I dislike the Maz character. Really brings the whole thing down for me. Worse than Jar Jar.
Whenever somebody says a part of this movie is "worse than Jar Jar" you automatically know that they are full of shit. The worst being that I've people unironically equate Finn to Jar Jar.

Hell, if nothing else, Maz had that amazingly delivered "I like that Wookie!". It sucks that Lupita got stuck behind a CGI character, but damn if her line readings aren't amazing.

Something I noticed after a second viewing.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, I am sure it has, but I believe Kylo Ren's mask is key to explaining how some scenes unfolded the way they did, negating some often heard criticism.

Kylo's mask is a powerful Sith Artifact, no doubt. It allows Kylo Ren to focus his hatred, and greatly increase his force power. The other Knights of Ren are using similar masks to increase their potential with the dark side.
But Kylo's training in the dark side of the force is not complete. His main issue is his self confidence / self image. He fears being weak. The mask serves the added purpose of hiding his former self, and making him appear strong (well it does also make him strong literally).

When Kylo takes off his mask for the first time during his interrogation of Rey, he wants to prove to himself he is strong and confident, even without the mask. Previous scenes with Snork and the First Order Commander left him frustrated and vulnerable. As a result, he wants to prove he does not need help (=the mask) to be strong, so takes off the mask.
But when he tries to intimidate/manipulate Rey without the mask, this quickly backfires. Rey exposes Kylo's fears, which causes him to panic and quickly retreat to seek the advice from Snork.

It's just a mask. He hides behind it to project strength where it is lacking.

During the Han Solo / Kylo Ren face-off. through taking off his mask a second time, Kylo wishes to face his doubts and perceived weakness. When Kylo says he is unsure if he can do it, I think he actually means killing his father and fully embracing the dark side. He might have some conflicted feelings, but if he is to redeem himself, he has to kill his father. The last rays of sunlight disappearing in the background symbolizes Kylo's definite turn to the dark side.

This much is plainly obvious. From the dialog he has with Vader's helmet, we know the inner struggle isn't rejecting the dark side, it's rejecting the light. After he impales Han, he thanks him.

televator

Worse than Jar Jar? Is such a thing even possible?

Definitely not Maz. She seemed cool. I can't even think of anything in TFA that's even half as bad... a quarter as bad as Jar Jar.

I saw her name in the credits and wondered how the hell I'd missed her. Then I looked it up on IMDB and was disappointed they had her doing mocap. Oh well.

Ditto Brienne behind that helmet (and being an idiot).

Only reason I knew is because most of the cast did an interview on Conan.

Which begs a question, did Oscar Isaac shoot Ex Machina before or after Star Wars? Because if it was before than I want to know what shampoo he used to grow that glorious lion's mane he had in Star Wars.

There was even a funny bit on Conan where Isaac is telling a story how Ford looked at his hair, smelling it and said "that's a wig". Isaac replied that it was real and said Ford had a look on his face of disdain and being impressed at the same time :p

GhaleonEB

FcC9YvU.jpg

We're going to learn that Kylo Ren made BB8.
I desperately want this to be real, but BB-8 and his arm is a pretty bad shop job. :(

Worse than Jar Jar? Is such a thing even possible?

Definitely not Maz. She seemed cool. I can't even think of anything in TFA that's even half as bad... a quarter as bad as Jar Jar.
Between, "Where's my boyfriend? I like that wookie," and Maz climbing across the table to stare down Finn, I don't know how anyone could not like her. She was great; I wish there was more of her.

neoism

That's not how ellipses work.

And the limits to which people "will be suck" of Star Wars haven't really been tested yet. Rogue One should be a pretty good test, I'd think.

It certainly seems as if Lucasfilm should give it a try, considering.

Hasn't seemed to hurt, say, Marvel, or Pixar.

is that necessary?

SpotAnime

But that "Haaaaaaaaaaaaaan Solllo" yell that stopped the cantina in it's tracks was really, really stupid. That and Solo's blind shot during the battle on Takodana were like bad fanfic moments.

Top Bottom