• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Eh, I too was thinking Harry Potter. It was a bit too melodic and has more varying dynamics (as in musical volume) than the stuff in Journey if I'm remembering correctly.

whynotboth.png
9e472a92f814ba7156c45cb98fd09eef.png

Haven't watched Harry Potter in a while but this is the first thing thing that came to mind from this part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlu8S3bUQE#t=1m3s

Journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3hFN8UrBPw#t=9m15s

Overall has a Harry Potter feel to it (2:00 espeically) but the flute melody feels more like Journey. Would have to listen to the whole thing to place the exact similarity.

neoism

Listening to the OST all day long, imo one of the best movie soundtracks of all time.

The playlist below are my favorite songs (ignore the most obvious one :lol)

before hearing the OST and seeing the film I was wanting more of Duel Of The Fates dat shit is EPIIIIIC!!! nothing touches that in the FAs ost..

Han and Chewie have been partners for decades, but this is the first time Han used Chewies bow caster? It was a funny moment, but kinda of weird when you think about it.

Han and Chewie have been partners for decades, but this is the first time Han used Chewies bow caster? It was a funny moment, but kinda of weird when you think about it.

I kind of assumed Chewie had modified it at some point in the recent past and Han was impressed/curious to try it out.

Africanus

I do think a second viewing (which make the editing missteps in the back half more apparent) does tend to be more rewarding than it isn't. There are a lot of little character beats/moments that become clearer on that rewatch.

Ralph McQuarrie will be saddened to hear that, I'm sure.

(wasn't on your talking points, I gather)

The most benefit I got from the second viewing came surprisingly from appreciating the soundtrack more. Especially in the first half of the movie.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The love for George Lucas is a serious thing. So serious that people feel the need to piss on a great movie just to redeem the prequels. Ignoring all the horrendous writing, acting and filming in the latter.

The most benefit I got from the second viewing came surprisingly from appreciating the soundtrack more. Especially in the first half of the movie.

Yeah, this is what stood out for me as well. Maybe I was too focused on the movie and hyped/worried not to be a fuck up, but it is like I didn't hear any of the music in the first half of the movie in my first viewing. On the second one I could clearly appreciate it.

Acheteedo

Saw it a second time, this time in 3D, I don't say this very often but oh boy does the 3D add a lot, it really adds some "oomph" to the flying and light saber scenes and generally helps the film to look beautiful. I liked the film a lot on the first viewing, but after digesting the film, re-watching the first 6 episodes, and thinking about it all, I absolutely adored TFA on the second viewing. I'm someone who quite enjoyed Eps I-III, but I think I'm retroactively liking them less now that Ep VII is reminding me how it's meant to be done.

I have a question. Why does Rey, after asking BB8 where he's from, say "classified, really? Me too."? I'm guessing the implication is she's asked the trader dude before but he refuses to tell her but I'm not sure exactly.

Gonzalez

Banned
The love for George Lucas is a serious thing. So serious that people feel the need to piss on a great movie just to redeem the prequels. Ignoring all the horrendous writing, acting and filming in the latter.

"Great movie"? Okay, average, decent, and maybe even good. But "Great"?

Look it's better than Jedi, but come on, this is probably how most people rank it right now...

1. ESB
2. SW: ANH
3. TFA

Furoba

Yeah there's zero evidence of that being the case in this film.

Also it would make no sense why he wouldn't have put it back on when fighting Rey if it was that important. It's clearly just a mask.

Judged he didn't need it due to his new found confidence killing Han? Forgot it after getting shot by Chewie and explosions going on around?

Just made me wonder what happened to the mask. But yeah, it's a bit of a long shot, there's little supporting evidence.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Look it's better than Jedi, but come on, this is probably how most people rank it right now...

1. ESB
3. TFA

Yes, it's a great movie, it has good characters (including a great villain which is quite rare this days), great acting, it has decent writing, great shots, great main duels/duets. It's not perfect, but for me it was a great movie. The fact that it was even better on second viewing adds to this feeling.

For how much is accused of being a ANH reboot, it's a much better ANH (because of the things above) and a much better start for a trilogy (because it has more than one option for what's next). ANH has the originality of the story though. But it isn't a great story either, just a decent one.

Edit: I saw ANH again couple of days before seeing TFA, so I make a comparison based on fresh memories for both.

1. ESB
3. TFA
I think it's a great film. I also think it's the best SW film!!!!

Waldini

1. ESB
3. TFA

I can see why people who actually saw ANH in the cinema back in '77 would rank this higher than TFA. But, to be fair .. ANH lives on the nostalgia-factor alot. ANH is a good movie .. but not great. TFA has better acting ... that's for sure.

My ranking?
ESB>TFA>ANH>ROTJ>ROTS>TPM>AOTC.

Gonzalez

Banned
I can see why people who actually saw ANH in the cinema back in '77 would rank this higher than TFA. But, to be fair .. ANH lives on the nostalgia-factor alot. ANH is a good movie .. but not great. TFA has better acting ... that's for sure.

My ranking?
ESB>TFA>ANH>ROTJ>ROTS>TPM>AOTC.
I have no idea why anyone would consider it better than ANH? Especially considering how half-assed the 2nd, and 3rd act is. Leia rescue, and Deathstar assault are so much superior.

I have a question. Why does Rey, after asking BB8 where he's from, say "classified, really? Me too."? I'm guessing the implication is she's asked the trader dude before but he refuses to tell her but I'm not sure exactly.
I assumed she was being sarcastic.

I have no idea why anyone would consider it better than ANH? Especially considering how half-assed the 2nd, and 3rd act is. Leia rescue, and Deathstar assault are so much superior.
I agree. TFA starts breaking down after Hosnian gets destroyed. It took me completely out of the movie. I hate it when a movie tells me I should care about something instead showing me why or making me care.

Yes, it's a great movie, it has good characters (including a great villain which is quite rare this days), great acting, it has decent writing, great shots, great main duels/duets. It's not perfect, but for me it was a great movie. The fact that it was even better on second viewing adds to this feeling.

For how much is accused of being a ANH reboot, it's a much better ANH (because of the things above) and a much better start for a trilogy (because it has more than one option for what's next). ANH has the originality of the story though. But it isn't a great story either, just a decent one.
I agree, ANH also has the advantage of being supported by sequels, imagine it being released today, GAF would tear the story a new one.

Veelk

Banned
I rewatched the OT before seeing TFA. The comprehensive story of Luke across 3 films is currently better than Rey's story, but as an individual movie, I like it more than any of the OT. ESB is probably the best, but I have no fucks to give about Han Solo's epic journey into Leia's pants, and it's even worse in Jedi even though I like Luke's side of the story there even more. And ANH is just flat out boring as a whole where the characterization is most shallow for everyone.

With TFA, I like everyone's story arc. People who complain about it being a storyline that rushes through things often ignore, I feel, that it is handling 4 different story arcs at once. If the movie is moving fast, it's because it's busy doing a lot more than any of the OT, and it's doing them competently.

We're only one movie in, and since this is clearly meant to be a comprehensive story, we need to see what happens in the other two to fairly compare it to the OT. However, if the other two movies manage to build on what TFA laid out with as much skill, then it will easily overtake the OT for me.

EGM1966

Edit: I saw ANH again couple of days before seeing TFA, so I make a comparison based on fresh memories for both.
Nah. I can get people liking TFA more, and when average person says "best" I guess they mean their preference but purely as films ANH and ESB easily surpass TFA.

What puts TFA behind those is its unbalanced narrative structure, unnecessary and unclear sub-plots and rushed second half that doesn't properly give all characters and themes enough time to fully deliver.

Taken purely as films (not SW films) TFA simply has more flaws and weak narrative moments than the others.

But I do think it's almost the best JJ could have done given the need to try and fit a new cast and the old cast into one film. If they'd dropped the unneeded Starkiller base stuff and used the saved time to better focus on the core narrative and characters it would have been even better.

I like TFA more because:
— It treats its female characters better
— It has a great female protagonist
— Has the best lightsaber duel of any SW film
— Has the best moment of any SW film
— Characters are more enjoyable. Rey > Luke, BB8 > R2, Ren > Vader. Maz is awesome. Finn's great. Poe is cool.
— Has the benefit of films that came before, so Han's death, to me, was more meaningful than Ben's.
— It has lots of great humor.
— It has Rey.
— It has Rey.

Just off the top of my head.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nah. I can get people liking TFA more, and when average person says "best" I guess they mean their preference but purely as films ANH and ESB easily surpass TFA.

What puts TFA behind those is its unbalanced narrative structure, unnecessary and unclear sub-plots and rushed second half that doesn't properly give all characters and themes enough time to fully deliver.

Taken purely as films (not SW films) TFA simply has more flaws and weak narrative moments than the others.

But I do think it's almost the best JJ could have done given the need to try and fit a new cast and the old cast into one film. If they'd dropped the unneeded Starkiller base stuff and used the saved time to better focus on the core narrative and characters it would have been even better.

If you think ANH has better narrative moments (or even has narrative moments at all) than TFA I think you need to watch ANH again. Just ANH.

I still think ESB is the best SW movie, because it didn't need to build up on the world, it had everything prepared in the previous movie, so it was more focused. For the same reason I think Episode VIII has the potential to be better than ESB if done properly. Because on top of the world built up has also characters well drawn. The arcs of Kylo Ren and Rey can develop into a very good story.

Edit: not to be misunderstood, I like ANH a lot, it's up there right after ESB and TFA in my preferences, but it lacks a bit in terms of character development. The character with the best background story in ANH is the Death Star. (so much they make a spin-off movie about it
/jk
).

You mean like A New Hope?

In The Force Awakens, the Republic is nebulous and it's place in the story is vague. Hosnian is apparently the seat of the Republic, but we don't know anyone from there and it doesn't directly effect our main character's goals. And people keep thinking that it was Coruscant. That's a bad sign.

In A New Hope, we have Leia being from Alderaan, so we have a main character who has a direct connection to it. It is also the main destination for Obi Wan, Luke, and Han for the movie. They were to deliver the plans to Alderaan. Once Alderaan got destroyed, their plan has to change. The goal becomes something else.

In The Force Awakens, the Republic is nebulous and it's place in the story is vague. Hosnian is apparently the seat of the Republic, but we don't know anyone from there and it doesn't directly effect our main character's goals. And people keep thinking that it was Coruscant. That's a bad sign.

In A New Hope, we have Leia being from Alderaan, so we have a main character who has a direct connection to it. It is also the main destination for Obi Wan, Luke, and Han for the movie. They were to deliver the plans to Alderaan. Once Alderaan got destroyed, their plan has to change. The goal becomes something else.
Leia's home planet is destroyed. After the Falcon is captured, it's NEVER brought up again. We never see Leia broken up about it. We never see Leia mourning.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wow @ anyone putting A New Hope over Force Awakens.

Revenge of the Sith > Empire Strikes Back > The Force Awakens (once I see TFA again, it may move up to #2)

Like, A New Hope is such a boring slog to get through and the acting is very amateur. You watch it, because it leads to ESB but I would never watch ANH without the intention of watching ESB right after. Force Awakens on the other hand stands on it's own far better. Everything (besides the poor villain) in TFA is better than it's ANH counterpart.

I found TFA to be better paced than ANH, especially in the first arc. Also, the lightsaber duels is better (however I prefer ANH spaceships battle's). Obi-Wan's death is way too WTF lol. ANH also feels a lot like low budget movie, IMO.

Empire Strikes Back fixes everything wrong with the first movie and does better.

I agree with the: TSB > TFA > ANH > ESB > ROTS > TPM >>>> AOTC

Guy.brush

Let's be honest. "Hosnian system" is the filmmakers not having the balls to destroy Coruscant.
It is a weak excuse of a show of power for the First Order.
"A republic that has stood for a thousand generations..." and then changed their whole makeup cause the prequels apparently sucked.

I'm still seeing people complain about Han's bowcaster reaction. Yeah he's seen it many times but his reaction was to using it.

It's not the reaction people are questioning, it's the unintended implication or logical inconsistency. Han and Chewie have been partners for decades and never once has Han used the bowcaster before?

Leia's home planet is destroyed. After the Falcon is captured, it's NEVER brought up again. We never see Leia broken up about it. We never see Leia mourning.

Same thing with Hosnian. Wait, there's no one there who can really mourn it. I can be cheeky and say that people deal with grief in different ways. I could explain it away by saying that the movie is trying to keep you in the moment. I can point out that when it does get destroyed, Leia is distraught. Or that after that, she was slated to be put to death. I don't even think we see her until Luke goes in to save her.

Let's be honest. "Hosnian system" is the filmmakers not having the balls to destroy Coruscant.
And people still think it's Coruscant.

Loris146

Revenge of the Sith > Empire Strikes Back > The Force Awakens (once I see TFA again, it may move up to #2)

Like, A New Hope is such a boring slog to get through and the acting is very amateur. You watch it, because it leads to ESB but I would never watch ANH without the intention of watching ESB right after. Force Awakens on the other hand stands on it's own far better. Everything (besides the poor villain) in TFA is better than it's ANH counterpart.

Noooooooooooooo.gif

neoism

I like TFA more because:
— It treats its female characters better
— It has a great female protagonist
— Has the best lightsaber duel of any SW film
— Has the best moment of any SW film
— Characters are more enjoyable. Rey > Luke, BB8 > R2, Ren > Vader. Maz is awesome. Finn's great. Poe is cool.
— Has the benefit of films that came before, so Han's death, to me, was more meaningful than Ben's.
— It has lots of great humor.
— It has Rey.
— It has Rey.

Just off the top of my head.
Double-Facepalm-Gif-09.gif

It's not the reaction people are questioning, it's the unintended implication or logical inconsistency. Han and Chewie have been partners for decades and never once has Han used the bowcaster before?

Same thing with Hosnian. Wait, there's no one there who can really mourn it. I can be cheeky and say that people deal with grief in different ways. I could explain it away by saying that the movie is trying to keep you in the moment. I can point out that when it does get destroyed, Leia is distraught. Or that after that, she was slated to be put to death. I don't even think we see her until Luke goes in to save her.

And people still think it's Coruscant.
Clearly not. Why fuss?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The destruction of the Hosnian system is not supposed to portray sadness or sorrow in my opinion. It's just there to introduce the power of the Starkiller and the fact that the political system in the galaxy is now in chaos. In the end the reason to destroy the Hosnian system is not the fight for political power between the New Republic and the First Order, but the fight between Snoke and Luke (it's almost poetic). It's just a tool to stop the finding of Luke. Which brings also some political chaos for the better set-up of Episode VIII.

I think in the end they decided to go for the Starkiller plot as set-up for main duels to give more importance to the First Order and Snoke.

It is a weak excuse of a show of power for the First Order.
"A republic that has stood for a thousand generations..." and then changed their whole makeup cause the prequels apparently sucked.

The lead up to the destruction made me believe it was Coruscant. I was like "Wow, thats ballsy", i remembered 3 films of context there, it really made me believe the power and gall the First Order had. Then, I'm reminded it was just some no name planet with a seconds worth of context that had the look and the function of Coruscant. Dumb.

One thing I didn't understand about the First Order destroying the Republic Seat on Hosnia is how come it was visible from the planet the Resistance was on? Does that mean that the Resistance just happens to be stationed on the next planet over from the Republic base, and if so how close are these planets if they could see the laser/destruction from its surface?!

And does that mean the Starkiller is capable of firing from across the galaxy, or does it need to approach its target like the Death Star? I thought I heard someone mention that the Starkiller laser was capable of firing at hyper speeds, but I may have misheard.

Wait, are you saying that Revenge of the Sith is your favourite SW film?!

I found TFA to be better paced than ANH, especially in the first arc. Also, the lightsaber duels is better (however I prefer ANH spaceships battle's). Obi-Wan's death is way too WTF lol. ANH also feels a lot like low budget movie, IMO.

Empire Strikes Back fixes everything wrong with the first movie and does better.

I agree with the: TSB > TFA > ANH > ESB > ROTS > TPM >>>> AOTC

What's TSB?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One thing I didn't understand about the First Order destroying the Republic Seat on Hosnia is how come it was visible from the planet the Resistance was on? Does that mean that the Resistance just happens to be stationed on the next planet over from the Republic base, and if so how close are these planets if they could see the laser/destruction from its surface?!

That seems to be JJ's typical lack of understanding of space and distances. It works for turning back Finn, but it's not really a smart moment.

And does that mean the Starkiller is capable of firing from across the galaxy, or does it need to approach its target like the Death Star? I thought I heard someone mention that the Starkiller laser was capable of firing at hyper speeds, but I may have misheard.

Yes, Starkiller is capable of firing from across the galaxy.

Interfectum

Err... Wow @ anyone putting RotS above any of the original trilogy, let alone at the top. It's one of the worst, IMO, due to the fact it wasted so much potential and it ruined not one, but two villains by the time the credits were rolling.

Veelk

Banned

Those are very dehumanizing reasons to care about Alderaan.

The reason the destruction of Alderaan is tragic is because it was full of lives. However, they were vague, nondescript lives. It'd be like hearing hearing on the news that a bomb went off in a city you never heard of before. It's sad, but you have no personal connection to it. Leia, the only person who did, wasn't actually shown mourning the tragedy either. If the reason you care about Alderaan is because it's destruction makes things inconvenient for the protagonists, then you don't really care about it at all.

The fact that we were shown the actual people living on the Hosian system before they met their end was a more human reason to care, since we atleast see the actual people about to die.

Neither are really good examples of narrative genocide though. Both are events that just serve as a backdrop to indicate how evil and powerful the empire is. Both are pretty exploitative in how try to abuse audience empathy.

The destruction of the Hosnian system is not supposed to portray sadness or sorrow in my opinion. It's just there to introduce the power of the Starkiller and the fact that the political system in the galaxy is now in chaos.

It was a great show of force just like the Death Star destroying Alderaan was a great show of force. But it seems that throwing the political system in the galaxy into chaos is being put off to the next movie when it should directly affect the movie it occurs in aside from removing the ghostly presence of the Republic fleet.

Top Bottom