• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Filth

I don't know if this has been discussed but my friend brought up a good point.

c0e4bfb.jpeg

Notice scar location on top of the head and the face wound on the same side of where the mask is damaged more.

Dreavus

Notice scar location on top of the head and the face wound on the same side of where the mask is damaged more.

I would think Kylo Ren would have at least mentioned it, given how obsessed he is with being like Vader. Why even talk to the busted helmet then? Also he's a goddamn alien from what I can tell.

Uncanny how the injuries/scars seem to line up like that though.

Filth

I would think Kylo Ren would have at least mentioned it, given how obsessed he is with being like Vader. Why even talk to the busted helmet then? Also he's a goddamn alien from what I can tell.

Uncanny how the injuries/scars seem to line up like that though.

Maybe he says Vader is dead because that was his sith name and maybe doesn't consider himself that anymore. Or maybe it's just his body and plageuis transported his consciousness in it. The scar is what bugs me.

OraleeWey

Maybe he says Vader is dead because that was his sith name and maybe doesn't consider himself that anymore. Or maybe it's just his body and plageuis transported his consciousness in it. The scar is what bugs me.
And he looks like he's burned.

Iceternal

Do we know now what the consensus on the movie is ?

Is it good ?

In France it's not, there's like a trend of Star Wars bashing going on and it's the new cool thing to hate on SW7 and SW in general.

AND IT PISSES ME OFF

It's a stretch. The scars are in similar spots but that's about it. It would also ignore the fact that Vader turned to the light at the end of RotJ and that The Clone Wars establishes that Force Ghosts are a Light Side user only feat.

In a Universe where blasters and lightsabers would leave burn scars when they wound, being scarred up really isn't unique.

Is it good ?

In France it's not, there's like a trend of Star Wars bashing going on and it's the new cool thing to hate on SW7 and SW in general.

AND IT PISSES ME OFF

All I care about is what I think not the other way around

MutFox

Banned
Just watched the movie...
By the end of the next movie, Rey will be training Luke Skywalker with new techniques. :p

My GF was saying that maybe she was trained before being abandoned. (Possibly mind wiped)
Which seems to make sense, as in the Star Wars Universe, a mentor is needed to learn.
I was thinking that maybe Luke was guiding her about the force from where he was.

Well who knows, I wanna see the next film now cause of the Director attached.
I think it'll be the best of the new Trilogy.

aliengmr

Is it good ?

AND IT PISSES ME OFF

The amount of hate scales with popularity. Be happy.

Consensus is this was a very good Star Wars movie.

For this movie, it means, "I'm insecure and am threatened by the depiction of competent women in fantasy-action movies." This argument usually goes hand-in-hand with criticisms with Finn not feeling remorse when he kills his fellow Stormtroopers. Those who argue this will be the first to betray us if a fascist regime ever takes shape.

How can a film generate such an insulting post. Lmao.

To be fair, this type of aggregate sites are very US based. If i would extrapolate what I read in local newspapers here, it would probably be 40-50% . Not hard to imagine the same thing happens in France.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just watched the movie...
By the end of the next movie, Rey will be training Luke Skywalker with new techniques. :p

My GF was saying that maybe she was trained before being abandoned. (Possibly mind wiped)
Which seems to make sense, as in the Star Wars Universe, a mentor is needed to learn.
I was thinking that maybe Luke was guiding her about the force from where he was.

Well who knows, I wanna see the next film now cause of the Director attached.
I think it'll be the best of the new Trilogy.
Based on your avatar, I think we just got out of the same screening in downtown Vancouver (this would be my third round with the film).

Is it good ?

AND IT PISSES ME OFF

Well you are French.

someday

Banned
I finally saw this tonight. I'm still wrapping my mind around it but all I can say is I loved it. I'm 45 and I watched the first series in theaters when I was a kid. This movie reminded me of them and that feeling of being in awe over a movie. I feel like we finally have Star Wars back.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Is it good ?

AND IT PISSES ME OFF

I don't think it's really different in English-speaking countries.

Broadly enjoyed by critics. Broadly enjoyed by audiences.

But the geek debate is full of equal measures of both passion for and against.

I do think if you're hoping for some world where everyone loves SW7...... well no. That has not happened, anywhere on earth.

Waldini

I do think if you're hoping for some world where everyone loves SW7...... well no. That has not happened, anywhere on earth.

Most of the negative reactions are from those who can't deal with the fact that something they wanted to happen in the movie didn't happen.

"They should've ..."
"It should have ..."
"Such a waste that ..."
"I would've loved to see ..."

Nothing can satisfy 30+ years of expectations. JJ did a great job reintroducing sw to a new generation. Go backwards to move forwards, was always the plan.

BocoDragon

Most of the negative reactions are from those who can't deal with the fact that something they wanted to happen in the movie didn't happen.

"They should've ..."
"It should have ..."
"Such a waste that ..."
"I would've loved to see ..."

You're trying to dismiss it as silly I guess? But when people aren't head-over-heels in love with something, they'll offer reasons as to why....

Waldini

Nothing can satisfy 30+ years of expectations. JJ did a great job reintroducing sw to a new generation. Go backwards to move forwards, was always the plan.

The comment made by Lucas that he would've done differently scares me. I have a feeling that his Episode 7 (even though being a direct sequel) was not going to deal with the Skywalker family at all.

Waldini

You're trying to dismiss it as silly I guess? But when people aren't head-over-heels in love with something, they'll offer reasons as to why....

Everyone is entitled to voice their opinnion though. But hearing people go like : "Damn! TFA was shit! I mean ... Luke did nothing! I would have loved to see him activate his lightsaber" ... I wonder if people actually know Episode 8 and 9 are coming.

BocoDragon

Expectation management is a huge issue. No movie could live up to it.

...but I do think TFA falls into a place where it's not as if it's some divine perfection that only the flawed condition of the modern cynical moviegoer could find a reason to reject it.

TFA has broadly acknowledged flaws (ANH rehash, poor editing, etc). The question is whether this is a deal breaker for the individual watcher...

The comment made by Lucas that he would've done differently scares me. I have a feeling that his Episode 7 (even though being a direct sequel) was not going to deal with the Skywalker family at all.

I think it's just the opposite. He has criticized TFA for not being about a family drama enough.

I think he wouldn't have relegated Luke to being an VIII-teasing easter egg... he would have included him in the core of the action.

Fencedude

I guess I can kind of understand that. But it seems like settling for mediocrity, rather than desiring greatness.

The point is that for women (and other minorities) sometimes its "settling for mediocrity" or NOTHING AT ALL

Like, yes Janeway wasn't the greatest character ever, but hell honestly neither was Kirk in many ways, and yet he's goddamn fucking worshiped.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

c0e4bfb.jpeg

If this ends up being true, or if we learn that Snoke is some kind of clone or being created from Anakin's Skywalker DNA, I'm gonna be so pissed.

If this ends up being true, or if we learn that Snoke is some kind of clone or being created from Anakin's Skywalker DNA, I'm gonna be so pissed.

Darth Maul surviving is the only death retcon I'll overlook since he went out like a wimp. I think Sheev was cloned like 5 times in the old EU though. A Vader clone would just be

giphy.gif

Top Bottom