• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Trike

I don't know if this has been discussed but my friend brought up a good point.

c0e4bfb.jpeg

Notice scar location on top of the head and the face wound on the same side of where the mask is damaged more.

Both side of Snoke's face are messed up and not in the same way as Vader's. Also the head scar on Snoke is more in the center and goes down his forehead. Vader's is just on his head. Not to mention that the facial structure is super different.

I don't really think Snoke is Plagius either considering how different he looks to him as well. Unless they gave him a remodel considering how ridiculous he looked.

c0e4bfb.jpeg

Notice scar location on top of the head and the face wound on the same side of where the mask is damaged more.

This is nonsense, as Snoke is clearly a clone of Voldemort!

What? No, canon Revan is a male, and the Exile is a woman.

Okay, I'm not familiar with TOR so I may be out of the loop, but what is the Exile - the 'good half' of Revan? All I know is that the pilot dude (Carth?) mentions Revan in KotOR 2 and she's definitely female.

Edit -

That is the first time I read that. I think it is supposed to be a 'he'.

As mentioned above, Carth Onasi talks about Revan in KotOR 2 and even implies they had a relationship.

Okay, I'm not familiar with TOR so I may be out of the loop, but what is the Exile - the 'good half' of Revan? All I know is that the pilot dude (Carth?) mentions Revan in KotOR 2 and she's definitely female.
Jedi Exile is the protagonist of KotOR2, and Revan canonically is definitely a dude.

Mendax

Revan's a dude. That is "canon" I believe.

is it still or was it until the disney takeover?

But that's actually possible!

I think it was forbidden before the fall of the jedi order? and after that I think obi-wan kept watch over luke so unless he messed around with the local girls and those local girls moved off the planet afterwards I dont think it'd be possible

Johndoey

Banned

I think it was forbidden before the fall of the jedi order? and after that I think obi-wan kept watch over luke so unless he messed around with the local girls and those local girls moved off the planet afterwards I dont think it'd be possible
Well it's legends now but TOR has Revan as male and that's still active so eh.

Other than that I believe the Exile is female.

Kuros

He pretty much had an affair with Satine in TCW and that's canon.

Nikodemos

I finally got around to watching the film. Stayed far away from reddit/4chan/whatever, so no spoilers. Got early show tickets to the local IMAX, so few people.

Holy shit, it was bloody atrocious.

I don't know whether The Hobbit spoiled me, but I sure as fuck am not going to watch any other 3D film in 24 fps ever again. Every single high-intensity action scene was a blurry mess. It felt like it was out of focus (though it wasn't, since the slow scenes and static shots were nice and crisp) and the lighting was all muddy when things were moving fast.

As for the film itself, yeah, 'twas decent. Many of the callbacks made me smile. General pacing was a bit too frantic (a J.J. Abrams signature move, I'm told) and watching many TV series made me yearn for some more exposition.

televator

In my second viewing, it blew my mind to realize it was Poe who killed Finn's buddy during the first siege in the film. I wonder if that will ever come to light between them? It would be interesting.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are people serious with this Snoke = Vader picture? I mean he died at the end of episode 6 by finally turning his back to the dark side + the corpse was burned + if that wasn't enough, we even saw his ghost!

Alx

Are people serious with this Snoke = Vader picture? I mean he died at the end of episode 6 by finally turning his back to the dark side + the corpse was burned + if that wasn't enough, we even saw his ghost!

Snoke is just another Vader fanboy who's cosplaying him. ^^

Timbuktu

In my second viewing, it blew my mind to realize it was Poe who killed Finn's buddy during the first siege in the film. I wonder if that will ever come to light between them? It would be interesting.

You always wonder if that guy could have been convinced to turn against the First Order as well... Finn doesn't seem particularly special in that regard, it just felt that their 'conditioning' wasn't as great as they thought and the Resistance/Republic could have done well with some anti-First Order PR to get some more defectors.

Johndoey

Banned
Do Troopers have a retirement package or is it like a put out to pasture thing?
I know maintaining an at is expensive but troopers really deserve better training and armor. They have great untapped unionization potential, they are a truly united front.

televator

It wasn't really his buddy though, just another stormtrooper

I've read posts here saying it was his only friend in the FO. They were marginalized together as runts of the pack. It makes sense. His only friend in the FO dies, and suddenly he has no reason to be there.

Gonzalez

Banned
Never trust a Sith. Especially a Force Ghost Sith.

SomTervo

Directly from the film:

"We need a pilot."
"We've got one!"
"You?!"

Done.

Every other case where we've seen a prodigy pilot in Star Wars, our background on their piloting skills has boiled down exactly to someone mentioning that they're a pilot.

Obi-Wan, ANH: "I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself."

Anakin, TPM: "I'm the only human who can [fly a podracer]."

And, likewise, in every case, we see them first demonstrate their piloting skills pulling off stuff that's supposed to be really really difficult.

Luke, ANH: Blows up the Death Star by making a shot down to the reactor without using a targeting computer during his first outing in an X-Wing, somehow magically doesn't get shot down even though he's right in Vader's scopes and Vader pulls the trigger.

Anakin, TPM: Wins the Boonta Eve podrace against much more experienced racers, recovers from an accidental trip up a service ramp that was clearly supposed to wreck his pod.

Rey, TFA: Avoids being shot down by (but not being shot by) two TIE Fighters amidst the wreckage of a large battle, flips the ship perpendicular to the ground so Finn can get in a final shot.

What's the explanation, every single time?

The Force is with them.

But that explanation apparently doesn't cut it for a woman.

She specifically says that she's never "left the planet" during the film; it's implied she's flown before, just not the Falcon, since it "hasn't flown in years."

So what do we see? She fumbles a bit to take control of the Falcon, but once she gets going she finds her element and starts trying trickier maneuvers.

But wow so implausible

Good work. This is exactly how I felt. Even during the film, when I literally thought "Well, they handled that perfectly."

the real problem with Force Awakens is that it was directed by JJ Abrams

I hated him back in the days of LOST, but he has been winning me over piece by piece in recent years.

TFA is great.

SomTervo

c0e4bfb.jpeg

Wow...

Oh yeah, haha. He got burned.

SomTervo

Yep, give me my books, give me my comics, give me my TV show. Ain't nobody got time to be waiting for the movies to come out.

My seventh replay of Jedi Academy (plus mods) is tiding me over.

So I was watching ANH and got to thinking; was Leia's ship headed to Tatooine to contact Obi-Wan or did they just HAPPEN to be spotted above Tatooine and the droids just HAPPENED to land on the very planet where Luke and Kenobi happened to be?

Never thought about it, very good call. I think it's very plausible Leia's ship was heading for Tatooine specifically. Her message specifically calls Obi out and he was on that planet and her ship was passing by.

Perhaps her father told her Kenobi was there.

Considering the "Mary Sue" moniker has been round since the 70s did we ever have a "Anakin is a Gary-Stu" arguments after Episode 1 or did we just hate that movie so never talked bout it?

Gonzalez

Banned
Yes it would. Seriously, are audiences really ever going to take Kylo seriously? Why not bring one of the biggest franchise villains in history back? Hell, why not surprise kill off Rey, and Kylo in 8? I bet you the farm, that if they built up a Luke Vs. Vader III rubber match for 9, it would completely shatter BO records worldwide.

Guy.brush

c0e4bfb.jpeg

Those stupid darksiders, always neglecting the high ground. Luke went "who is your daddy on Snoke probably".

Halcyon

Yes it would. Seriously, are audiences really ever going to take Kylo seriously? Why not bring one of the biggest franchise villains in history back? Hell, why not surprise kill off Rey, and Kylo in 8? I bet you the farm, that if they built up a Luke Vs. Vader III rubber match for 9, it will completely shatter BO records worldwide.

Pandering to Fanboys makes shitty stories and shitty movies.

They're coming up with good characters and writing for new people that we are invested in. I want to see what happens to all the new cast. I want to see how Kylo grows in the next movie.

Alx

Anakin has always been considered a flawed character, especially since we know how he will turn out. He is "strong with the Force", but also arrogant, naive, short-tempered, negligent,...
Also in EpI he was a kid, and kids in blockbusters are just in a category of their own. They can't die, always succeed even if by mistake, are supposed to be endearing and funny...

Top Bottom