• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

How is that making haters of the soundtrack eat crow? Lots of shit things get nominated for oscars.

Relax.

It's a nice victory after all the negativity leveled at it. I think it's highly underrated and that people are only judging it on the merits that it didn't have something like Duel of the Fates to suck their ear dicks. It's still great and has great new themes.

Dooku was a pretty awesome guy.

Too bad none of the movies even hint at any of this

Yeah, Dooku is cool. They should have explained more in the movies, though.

I mean, he's basically Dracula. From the sound of his name to getting beheaded. It was a nice tribute to the man and the character. Rest in Peace, Christopher Lee.

Toxi

Banned
Relax.

It's a nice victory after all the negativity leveled at it. I think it's highly underrated and that people are only judging it on the merits that it didn't have something like Duel of the Fates to suck their ear dicks. It's still great and has great new themes.
I expect Morricone will win but Williams definitely deserved the nomination.
Maybe this is my Fury Road fanboyism, but I would have nominated Junkie XL instead of Williams. Storm is Coming, Brothers in Arms, and Chapter Doof were more memorable tracks than anything in The Force Awakens, even the standouts like Rey's theme.

Can't complain about Morricone probably winning since I'm a huge Morricone fanboy.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Relax.

Lol. "Suck their ear dicks" is something that I've never heard uttered ever. I love it. I guess, "lick their ear clits" is the female equivalent?

Anyway, I absolutely love the soundtrack. I've heard it in the movie twice so far, with the second viewing of the film having it jump out at me much more (the second viewing of the movie in general was much better than the first. It just plays so much better on repeat viewings). I've heard the score countless times in isolation (bought the digital album on Amazon, and have been listening to it mixed with my other playlists daily), and it is a strong, strong score.

There are certainly themes that jump out at me now, and that I won't skip when they start (I hardly skip any of them, honestly). The original TFA themes are really good and, musically, a lot of them feel like inverted versions of the classic OT themes we are super familiar with. It's very interesting. It deserves its nominations for sure.

-griffy-

Banned
Gotta admit I was happy to see the soundtrack nomination. I've been listening to it a lot.

New page, more gifs:
mFktHCe.gif

AoANEBW.gif

uvTu12K.gif

cupraab

Neo Member
I have the book "The Making of The Empire Strike Back", and there is an early design of the Emperor that looks totally like snoke.

The Emperor possibly still alive !? ^^

CyndUk2.jpg

re: Toxi

We can disagree! I just watched MM again last night and while the music was good I remember pretty much the same motif playing during every action scene and I can't think of one strong theme.

Then again I think that movie is overrated as fuck beyond the craft that went into it, but I can still judge the music on its own. So I dunno. But yeah this music is having different effects on people as these things always do.

Maybe this is my Fury Road fanboyism, but I would have nominated Junkie XL instead of Williams. Storm is Coming, Brothers in Arms, and Chapter Doof were more memorable tracks than anything in The Force Awakens, even the standouts like Rey's theme.

Can't complain about Morricone probably winning since I'm a huge Morricone fanboy.

Agree, even more was it taking the starting ques from on screen stuff, like Furiosa banging on the air filter, for the fly-bys of Doof to kick it off, or the sounds of the war drums beating from the horizon. Masterfully done.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Was Fury Road's score nominated? It deserves to win for Brothers in Arms really. I was watching at home and at the moment when Furiosa lowers the scoop on the rig to make the dirt cloud and put out the fires I just shot up out of my seat with my jaw hanging open like an idiot.

I did think the implementation of the music was great in Fury Road, regardless of how I feel about the actual compositions (which were fine).

Toxi

Banned
March of the Resistance is very familiar; definitely can see influences from The Droid Invasion.

Scherzo for X Wings is nice. I feel this track would have been better appreciated if it were more audible over the action happening and if it had less use of The Force theme.
Was Fury Road's score nominated? It deserves to win for Brothers in Arms really. I was watching at home and at the moment when Furiosa lowers the scoop on the rig to make the dirt cloud and put out the fires I just shot up out of my seat with my jaw hanging open like an idiot.
Nope.

-griffy-

Banned

The Original Score nominees are:
Bridge of Spies
Carol
Sicario
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Hateful Eight

Fury Road probably deserves to be on there, but I'm also not sure what I'd swap out for it.

Savitar

I have the book "The Making of The Empire Strike Back", and there is an early design of the Emperor that looks totally like snoke.

CyndUk2.jpg

More likely they took inspiration from an earlier design.

Happens all the time.

CyndUk2.jpg

McQuarrie's concept art for the Emperor was another part of the inspiration for Snoke. Mainly his height by the looks of it.

empralph.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

The Original Score nominees are:
Bridge of Spies
Carol
Sicario
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Hateful Eight

Fury Road probably deserves to be on there, but I'm also not sure what I'd swap out for it.
That's a bummer. Morricone is probably my all-time favorite so that is nice to see though. I vote that mad max should have been nominated instead of Carol, since I know nothing about it and thus can easily convince myself it is inferior

Cth

Ok, since someone mentioned time travel previously.. and there's fans of the ring stuff..

How would you feel if Snoke turned out to be Luke..

After all, Snoke isn't Sith.

He's completing Kylo's training (who still feels a pull towards good).

The hologram/Wizard of Oz thing could be used in a similar manner by Luke to keep tabs on the FO.

And there's the whole balance of the force thing.

It'll never happen, but it's fun to consider :D

TheXbox

That's pretty much right on the nose. :lol

Has he done more about what he thought about the film?
He was raving drunk on Twitter after the premiere and he seemed to really like it.

Can we please not compare John Williams music to the green screens of Attack of the Clones?

Did you make people eat crow when this got nominated for best visual effects?
iX4of25.jpg

Actually, yeah. It was an achievement. Certainly easy to shit on whatever though, especially when picking out the less attractive things from it. The overall package was certainly an accomplishment. I have a gut feeling you wouldn't agree though, but that's fine, I have zero interest in changing your mind-- but hey, you asked.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Not really but ok.

I dunno man, every time I see you at a TFA thread it's always a short drive-by passive aggressive jab then proceed to disregard people who argue against you as stupid.

I mean, it's not a bad thing whatsoever for you to dislike it but you can do better than that.

Same goes for people reading this who are on the more enthusiastic end of the TFA opinion spectrum.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, it'll have to wait until after work though when I can get on my Windows machine at home.

Thanks!

Some people are saying on TFN that they see a Star Destroyer above Hosnian Prime, indicating that the NR has some Star Destroyers in its fleet, but I just rewatched it and I can't see it - just looks like Mon Cal cruisers to me.

He's right and it's getting a little sad at this point. But whatever floats your boat.

I just watched that video before it was posted in the thread so I said my opinion on it. Like everybody else. But to your main point, it isn't true but ok.

I dunno man, every time I see you at a TFA thread it's always a short drive-by passive aggressive jab then proceed to disregard people who argue against you as stupid.

I mean, it's not a bad thing whatsoever for you to dislike it but you can do better than that.

Same goes for people reading this who are on the more enthusiastic end of the TFA opinion spectrum.

When have I done that?

Thanks!

Some people are saying on TFN that they see a Star Destroyer above Hosnian Prime, indicating that the NR has some Star Destroyers in its fleet, but I just rewatched it and I can't see it - just looks like Mon Cal cruisers to me.

I can't recall seeing any. I noticed a lot more ships during my rewatches though.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
When have I done that?

Has to one of the lamest things I've ever read.

Now I get SW fans.
About what I expected.

Sure, I guess.
Just Thought you could have done better.

Some of these things are even on points where I'm on your side too.

.Some of these things are even on points where I'm on your side too.

I'll give you the 'SW fan" one and maybe the "huh" one but I don't think the others fit into that category.
I started out discussing about aspects of the film but I became pretty clear I was alone in my critiques as well as the general topics/attitude of the thread didn't interest me. So I stopped posting except for those and some rey thing.

Top Bottom