• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Oidisco

There's only a few movies that I can watch over and over without getting bored or tired of them, and I'm certain that TFA is gonna be another one. I thought seeing it 3 times was gonna be enough, but literally the next day I wanted to go see it again!

injurai

Banned
gleeson.jpg

Gleeson would have been such a good Skywalker son.

damn

I thought it was being cast as Kenobi's son actually. The resemblance and accent far better match Ewan and Guinness than some cali-boy.

Saw it last night after work, pretty solid start that while I didn't love, it's got me invested to see where they take the franchise. Which prior to watching, I had no interest... to a depressing degree, felt dead inside every time I would catch the trailers and not give a shit. Hope with the obvious darker edge the next one will take, they slow the roll a bit and actually have some dialogue scenes with the new cast that etch them out more than the stick figures they are now. They already got solid performances with all of them, get meat for them.

So question, was the blood that Finn gets smeared on his helmet (and Ren bleeding later on) a reference to a New Hope's cantina scene, and if so will the following film ditch this much like they did in Empire and Return with the laser weaponry cauterizing the wound?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So question, was the blood that Finn gets smeared on his helmet (and Ren bleeding later on) a reference to a New Hope's cantina scene, and if so will the following film ditch this much like they did in Empire and Return with the laser weaponry cauterizing the wound?
I find this all sort of confusing, what are you referring to in Empire and Jedi?

Was completely confused as well.

In ANH, when Obi-Wan cuts that furry-thug's arm off, there is blood. They cut to a closeup and it's bleeding like it was hacked with a butchers knife.

But usually when a lightsaber or blaster is used in the franchise, there isn't any blood (I can't remember blood being used any other time in this franchise off the top of my head outside of that arm and in TFA, but maybe I'm just mistaken).

I think that's what he/she is referring to.

And no, I don't think it was a reference or callback to anything. They just needed blood to differentiate who Finn was. I liked it, in universe explanation be damned.

Why that particular trooper was bleeding could be for any number of reasons. Maybe the wound wasn't fully cauterized because of his trooper armor?

It seemed like most of the lightsaber wounds and such were more "gritty" in this film. I hope they continue with that.

Kylo wasn't bleeding from his face, mind you. So, it seems that LS will continue to cauterize.

Edit :
He's referring to bleeding after a lightsabre wound. ANH cantina had it and Kylo's face was bloody after getting grazed. Everywhere else the lightsabre immediately cauterizes the wound so there is no blood.

I didn't think he was bleeding, thought it was more of a fresh burn mark (And I realize that we're just splitting hairs at this point).

I find this all sort of confusing, what are you referring to in Empire and Jedi?

He's referring to bleeding after a lightsabre wound. ANH cantina had it and Kylo's face was bloody after getting grazed. Everywhere else the lightsabre immediately cauterizes the wound so there is no blood.

Surfinn

In ANH, when Obi-Wan cuts that furry-thug's arm off, there is blood. They cut to a closeup and it's bleeding like it was hacked with a butchers knife.

But usually when a lightsaber or blaster is used in the franchise, there isn't any blood (I can't remember blood being used any other time in this franchise off the top of my head outside of that arm and in TFA, but maybe I'm just mistaken).

And no, I don't think it was a reference or callback to anything. They just needed blood to differentiate who Finn was. I liked it, in universe explanation be damned.

Why that particular trooper was bleeding could be for any number of reasons. Maybe the wound wasn't fully cauterized because of his trooper armor?

I don't think it was a callback, and as you said, it was essential for the audience to differentiate Finn from the rest. It also establishes him as a good person, one who stops to help fallen troopers when everyone else would have kept pressing on in battle. It's not the first time, as Before the Awakening describes similar situations in Finn's training as as Stormtrooper.

It seemed like most of the lightsaber wounds and such were more "gritty" in this film. I hope they continue with that.

Kylo wasn't bleeding from his face, mind you. So, it seems that LS will continue to cauterize.

Edit :

I didn't think he was bleeding, thought it was more of a fresh burn mark (And I realize that we're just splitting hairs at this point).

The Wampa had blood on him in ESB and so did Luke after they fought.

I don't think it was a callback, and as you said, it was essential for the audience to differentiate Finn from the rest. It also establishes him as a good person, one who stops to help fallen troopers when everyone else would have kept pressing on in battle. It's not the first time, as Before the Awakening describes similar situations in Finn's training as as Stormtrooper.

At that point doesn't the book contradict the movie? Phasma says it was his "first event."

The Wampa had blood on him in ESB and so did Luke after they fought.

I was talking about wounds from the LS/blaster weapons though.

The wampa's arm didn't bleed out (iirc). It just had blood around its mouth from an animal it was eating. Luke's cuts and such also came from non-laser sources.

But you're right, they did have blood in ESB.

If we're just speaking on gorey things, of course we have to acknowledge Han cutting that camel thing open, as well as Anakin in ROTS.

I was talking about wounds from the LS/blaster weapons though.

The wampa's arm didn't bleed out (iirc). It just had blood around its mouth from an animal it was eating. Luke's cuts and such also came from non-laser sources.

But you're right, they did have blood in ESB.

If we're just speaking on gorey things, of course we have to acknowledge Han cutting that camel thing open, as well as Anakin in ROTS.

Oh. Well as for lightsaber wounds there's Darth Maul in TPM, who sprays some blood when Obi-Wan slices him in half.

Oidisco

Very nice, thanks. And I spotted what I think may be the Star Destroyer - there's one ship that's pointier than the others juxtaposed against the planet with some of the other ships, rather than with the ships that are floating against the starscape.

Yea I can see it too

KevinG

Saw this for the fourth time today.

I think Finn is force sensitive. I heard the screaming, "of a million voices suddenly silenced," while he is loading that ship as a getaway. The ship looked rather isolated in the scene, not near a crowd that would project that much terror. I think he was hearing the screams from the Hosnian system.

It was really strange to see Ren take his mask off, and you basically see. kid. He wasn't as menacing when he has the mask on.

But it's going to be interesting if he'll become an iconic character.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Even without his mask on I thought he was menacing as hell. Kylo walking up to Finn and Rey at the end was like a gorilla charging at two puppies.

-griffy-

Banned
Saw this for the fourth time today.

I think Finn is force sensitive. I heard the screaming, "of a million voices suddenly silenced," while he is loading that ship as a getaway. The ship looked rather isolated in the scene, not near a crowd that would project that much terror. I think he was hearing the screams from the Hosnian system.
Eh, I think it was just other people in the vicinity reacting to the weird, scary visual in the sky. The ship was still near Maz's castle and there was other foot traffic in the area. Finn may be Force sensitive, but I don't think that's evidence of it. Him picking up the gunner controls in the TIE so quickly, and the Falcon later, despite only having experience with simple blasters, may support that idea better (though it may also simply be what Poe said, that it's the same idea and Finn just figured it out quickly).

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Fan faction writers have known this for decades.

Now it's just the Trek fanfic writers who cannot rest.

Hopefully this for Rey as well, now just give her a female "friend" on the level of the Poe/Finn relationship please.

It's gonna be hilarious if they do this and it drives the internet crazy that everyone just keeps skirting the the friendship/relationship threshold.

Doubly so if none of them have anything by the end.

injurai

Banned
The dream
that I wasn't a part of
is dead.

No, wait, what if he's just bi?

I was going to say fanfiction writers can get fucked (over the Rey is Luke's daughter theory) but I see they still come out on top with their smut material...

At any case, we in fan threads lose. Disney Wins. Hakuna Matata.

In the old canon he had a kid with a lady, plus he made all those sex faces at Leia. The whole kid thing isn't canon anymore, obviously, but the Leia thing is.I think he at least likes chicks. Might also be into dudes though, I guess.

It was really strange to see Ren take his mask off, and you basically see. kid. He wasn't as menacing when he has the mask on.

But it's going to be interesting if he'll become an iconic character.

That's kinda the point. He uses the mask because of the intimidation factor but underneath he's Han's kid, someone who looks like he should be a good guy.

Top Bottom