• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

mattp

I really hope they recast Kylo Ren in the next two movies. The casting for the rest of the characters is so spot on, so it makes it stand out even more how they botched the villain. Adam Driver's acting is Hayden Christensen level bad, but at least Hayden had good looks to soften the blow a bit. It's not a good sign when people in the theater giggle when Ren pulls off his mask for the first time. Yikes.

Worst casting decision since Mark Ruffalo took over as the Hulk.

i don't believe you're real

Whatever you wanna call it, people don't want to sit though that. It's not fun or cool. I think everyone was hoping for a cool Vader or Palpatine-level villain and all they got was a poor man's Hayden Christensen Anakin character and a CGI I Am Legend-looking guy with zero back story.

Yeah, back story is really what made the originals great. I remember all the things we knew about ol' Sheev when he was just a giant floating hood.

I don't think anything you said was correct.

i don't believe you're real
Every time he posts I have to sit back and take a minute to think about how humanity got to the point where some of his opinions are allowed.

As soon as someone says TFA is a "blatant clone" of ANH I stop listening. I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

The two films have quite a few similarities. They also have quite a few differences.

Arthea

I think you'll find you're in the minority here. Adam Driver did a super job. No one I know of is complaining about his acting.

I do wish however that he didn't take his helmet off in front of Rey. The reveal would have been better in front of Han.

I did, in previous thread
I don't think this community is a good indicator either, because I haven't talked with anybody happy about him outside of this thread. I was kinda surprised by reaction to my post that he is the weakest part of the movie

Yeah, back story is really what made the originals great. I remember all the things we knew about ol' Sheev when he was just a giant floating hood.

I don't think anything you said was correct.

Really? Vader was indeed mysterious, but he still had a very clear backstory and a finite place in the universe as did Tarkin. And before the Emperor ever showed up, he was referenced as the leader of the Empire and Vader's master.

What do we know about Snoke and why should we care? Plus, as an adult, I instantly care less about the CGI characters than the human (or even droid) characters.

As soon as someone says TFA is a "blatant clone" of ANH I stop listening. I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

The two films have quite a few similarities. They also have quite a few differences.

True, but there are so many similarities that I can't help but with they would have done more to set TFA apart. I really didn't need yet another super weapon to destroy for instance. We saw that a couple of time already, and it was one of the reasons I stopped reading some of the novels back in the day when the EU was new. Every book tried to top the Death Star for a new super weapon. Lets come up with something new.

It didn't help that TFA's super weapon was super-stupid either.

Really? Vader was indeed mysterious, but he still had a very clear backstory and a finite place in the universe as did Tarkin. And before the Emperor ever showed up, he was referenced as the leader of the Empire and Vader's master.

What do we know about Snoke and why should we care? Plus, as an adult, I instantly care less about every CGI character than the human characters.

How is this different from Snoke?

Oh he was definitely conflicted and there was a small sliver of hope they maybe he wouldn't do it. But now that's thrown out the window. I think his descent to the darkside and to push out the light is complete.

It's not.

Remember the beginning when he killed the old man.
That was someone he knew before becoming Kylo Ren, The old man says I know you and you can't deny your family.

Kylo then killed him.
Kylo descended further into the dark side at that point just as Poe tried to shoot him. That descent made him more powerful and he was allowed to stop the blast.

Fast forward to the final scene with Han.

He was basically doing the same thing, but this time he thought he would be even more powerful because he was literally going to reject/deny his old self by killing his father. But, the act of killing his father had the opposite effect, (you can see it on his face) and this allowed Chewie to get a hit off him.

Kylo will definitely level up by the next movie, but his father's death didn't give him the boost he was looking for like it did in the beginning.

I am honestly baffled by how shallow some purported Star Wars "fans" are about TFA. Because Kylo doesn't have facial scars or evil red eyes, he's not a good villain?

People forget that in the original, Vader wasn't so much of a badass as he was a lackey.

And this internal struggle and the ability of Driver to portray those emotions so easily on screen, not only made Kylo and interesting villain(compared to past villains introductions), but made Adam Driver a great addition to the cast.

Bronx-Man

Banned
A third death star.

A THIRD death star! I mean, wasn't the big complaint everyone had with RotJ was that making a 2nd death star was too unoriginal?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

What do we know about Snoke and why should we care? Plus, as an adult, I instantly care less about the CGI characters than the human (or even droid) characters.

As an adult?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This article encapsulates my feelings about TFA:

Admit it: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' stinks -- and here's why

It's fine for people to enjoy this film (it's not a horrible film by any stretch). But for people to ignore its many flaws and shortcomings just because it feels more like an OT film than the prequels is just intellectually dishonest.
I'm pretty sure that once people get over the hype and get more critical towards the movie you are going to see a lot of backslash threads in this forum.

Even more so than usual.

What do we know about Snoke and why should we care?

We know just as much, man. Snoke is the Supreme Leader of the First Order with ties to the dark side. He's the one pulling the strings at this moment as far as we know. We didn't even know Vader's place in the hierarchy after ANH. Or if his name was Darth or if that was a title. I think we know more about Ren, Hux, and Snoke than we did their counterparts in ANH and ESB. We didn't even see the Emperor until the second film. I don't even know if he was mentioned in ANH.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm pretty sure that once people get over the hype and get more critical towards the movie you are going to see a lot of backslash threads in this forum.

Even more so than usual.

I don't think it's gonna be that bad. All everyone wanted was a movie better than the prequels and that's what they got.

That's a horrible article, btw.

No agenda or bias at all. lol

Agreed.

It's really starting to become clear to me that some people are grasping at straws to criticize this movie as worse than it is.

It's not Citizen Kane, but it sure as hell doesn't "Stink" and it sure as hell is better than anything that has hit the mainstream box office in YEARS next to Mad Max.

Teletraan1

Banned
He has a point though, many people laughed when he removed his mask ...

I'm not sure it was intended and Disney might've screwed up a little.

Though Driver put up a great performance...

But I'm afraid that the crowd's bad reaction is going to cause Disney to back down and put Kylo to the background, I hope not though.

The theater I was in had a bunch of guffaws when he took off the mask. Guy just has a goofy look too him. It is such a contrast to the badass that just stopped a blaster shot mid air for minutes or pulled a grown man from across the room into his hand. I guess masked faces reveals have to be a letdown. Vader was pretty goofy looking too when he was finally unmasked at the end of RotJ.

How is this different from Snoke?
Snoke is a name (a dumb name, too). Emperor is a title.

Vader was a former Jedi who was turned to the dark side by someone strong in the dark side of the force, the Emperor. Snoke, is just like, a guy, or creature, that may or may not be a dark side user?

He just feels tacked on. Forced into the story (pun intended). They needed the "emperor palpatine" of this story.

As an adult?
Yeah - do you think little kids care about CGI characters as much as adults? I hate them. I can't stand that there are at least 3 characters in this movie that are still fully CGI. Thought we'd be done with that by now, after all the horrendous prequel CGI.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Even more so than usual.

Here's another article:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/critics-notebook-how-star-wars-851209?utm_source=twitter

" George Lucas was an innovator, and J.J. Abrams is an imitator. Lucas had depth, for all his faults as a filmmaker, while Abrams is a genius at flashy populist spectacle that evaporates into stardust almost as soon as you leave the theater. Star Wars created its own ever-expanding universe of myth, allegory and fairy tale; The Force Awakens is full of sound and fury, but signifies nothing."

After a third viewing of the film, I'm no longer determined that Kylo is past the point of redemption. I'd originally interpreted the light/dark imagery during Han's death scene as quite final: his face is half-bathed in light, half-coated in darkness; then you see the sun go out; then his face is cloaked in red; then he kills Han. Boom. Over.

This clearly doesn't give him the closure he wanted, or bring an end to his pain - he's given a terrible wound by Chewie's bowcaster and we see him having to beat off the pain during the fight, and then of course he's left broken at the end of the movie - but there's another element I hadn't noticed.

Though the light fades from the left half of his face shortly before he kills Han, you can see light start to creep over the opposite side of his face almost immediately after.

Not only did killing his father not end his pain and conflict, it didn't even snuff out the light in him.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The theater I was in had a bunch of guffaws when he took off the mask. Guy just has a goofy look too him. It is such a contrast to the badass that just stopped a blaster shot mid air for minutes or pulled a grown man from across the room into his hand. I guess masked faces reveals have to be a letdown. Vader was pretty goofy looking too when he was finally unmasked at the end of RotJ.

That was the point. Kylo is an immature and conflicted Vader cosplayer, not some hardened badass.

lol

"From Shakesperesn Saga to Harry Potter in Space"

Quality article.

I am honestly baffled by how shallow some purported Star Wars "fans" are about TFA. Because Kylo doesn't have facial scars or evil red eyes, he's not a good villain?

People forget that in the original, Vader wasn't so much of a badass as he was a lackey.

Yea I mean Tarkin had his balls in a purse just like Hux apparently has Kylo's.

The Empire is rooted in extreme order/authoritarianism. Some rogue "badass" Sith going ham on everybody out the gate with an army following him for no reason would make zero fucking sense.

That's the point.

After a third viewing of the film, I'm no longer determined that Kylo is past the point of redemption. I'd originally interpreted the light/dark imagery during Han's death scene as quite final: his face is half-bathed in light, half-coated in darkness; then you see the sun go out; then his face is cloaked in red; then he kills Han. Boom. Over.

This clearly doesn't give him the closure he wanted, or bring an end to his pain - he's given a terrible wound by Chewie's bowcaster and we see him having to beat off the pain during the fight, and then of course he's left broken at the end of the movie - but there's another element I hadn't noticed.

Though the light fades from the left half of his face shortly before he kills Han, you can see light start to creep over the opposite side of his face almost immediately after.

Not only did killing his father not end his pain and conflict, it didn't even snuff out the light in him.
Well of course. They have to work in an opening so the direct ROTJ clone makes sense.

Well to be fair, Vader still had light in him as well (Luke even points out that he can sense it in ROTJ), and the dude slaughtered children and people in general by the fucking hundreds.

Redemption can still be had, but it is going to be at the cost of his life, I think. We aren't going to get a "Kylo turned good and surprise, Rey is evil!" twist.

We know just as much, man. Snoke is the Supreme Leader of the First Order with ties to the dark side. He's the one pulling the strings at this moment as far as we know. We didn't even know Vader's place in the hierarchy after ANH. Or if his name was Darth or if that was a title. I think we know more about Ren, Hux, and Snoke than we did their counterparts in ANH and ESB. We didn't even see the Emperor until the second film. I don't even know if he was mentioned in ANH.

Emperor was mentioned briefly in anh. Gov tarkin said that he abolished the senate in the scene when vader force chokes the dude.

injurai

Banned
A third death star.

A THIRD death star! I mean, wasn't the big complaint everyone had with RotJ was that making a 2nd death star was too unoriginal?

How else are you going to create a gravitationally stable superbase/superlaser in space?

This is where the arms race as taken military technology in the Star Wars universe.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Agreed.

It's really starting to become clear to me that some people are grasping at straws to criticize this movie as worse than it is.

It's not Citizen Kane, but it sure as hell doesn't "Stink" and it sure as hell is better than anything that has hit the mainstream box office in YEARS next to Mad Max.
No one is grasping at straws a lot of the complaints I've seen in the thread are perfectly explained and presented with sound arguments. There's no grasping at straws.

Saying the movie is not art and then name drop a critically acclaimed movie to justify or make excuses for the flaws in TFA is a weak argument. This thread is about discussing the movie and that's exactly what everyone is doing, regardless of its merits as an art piece or whatnot.

Yeah, like I said before, the beginning of the film sets up the contrast to this scene as well, with the old man, who clearly knows Ben before he became Kylo.

Kylo killing the old man (who was clearly a friend of the family) getting the "Darkside boost" to stop the blast from Poe in mid air.

Wanting to be even more powerful and to snuff out the light, Kylo feels he has to go even more extreme by killing off his family, Han.

Doing this gives the opposite effect though. He doesn't get the feeling of euphoria from crossing even deeper into the dark side when killing his father and instead is left with what looks like emptiness(on his face or confusion) before catching Chewie's crossbow blaster in the stomach.

Sylas

Well of course. They have to work in an opening so the direct ROTJ clone makes sense.

Yeah, y'know. Having a series carry over a consistent theme is just being a direct clone. Redemption arcs? Fuck that! Literary and age-old themes be damned.

I feel like a lot of people forget that basically all of the philosophical and even technical sci-fi "depth" came from fans freaking out. Lucas literally is on record saying, "I dunno, this looks cool!!!!"

Plus the movie is still a movie. It's not a television series or book or game where you have a ton of time for depth. If it had been a 3-4 hour long affair that went super indepth with every bit of anime-esque exposition that people want, they'd be complaining that the movie is too long. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's fine for people to enjoy this film (it's not a horrible film by any stretch). But for people to ignore its many flaws and shortcomings just because it feels more like an OT film than the prequels is just intellectually dishonest.

Some people are really obsessed that this film is "bad" in their "opinion"...

At this point im just ignoring this trolls.

You can nitpick all you want, but this Movie brought back Star Wars. In a big way IMO.

levious

Yeah - do you think little kids care about CGI characters as much as adults? I hate them. I can't stand that there are at least 3 characters in this movie that are still fully CGI. Thought we'd be done with that by now, after all the horrendous prequel CGI.

That you hate them is fine. I don't particularly care for them either. It is not due to our superior level of maturity.

Oidisco

Just saw it a second time. I liked it a lot more this time around though my main problems with the film still stand, but I won't bother getting into that.

What I will talk about is John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, because god damn they're amazing. First time I watched it I thought John was clearly the best part of the film, but now I actually think Daisy stole show, which is super impressive given that it's her 1st film (I think).

One thing though, I was fine with John putting on an American accent the first time since I had never watched any interviews with him so I had no I idea it wasn't his real accent, but since then I've seen a bunch of them and I just watched Attack the Block last night (It was pretty good). He still did a great job. but it was kinda distracting. I hope there's some behind the scenes footage on the dvd of him trying out his real accent, kinda curious to see if I'd like it more.

RDreamer

YLP0kw5.jpg

Why is the Traitor Stick, better known as the Z6 Riot Baton, not a toy that people can buy yet?

I really don't understand why this role wasn't taken up by Captain Phasma...

Just saw it a second time. I liked it a lot more this time around though my main problems with the film still stand, but I won't bother getting into that.

What I will talk about is John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, because god damn they're amazing. First time I watched it I thought John was clearly the best part of the film, but now I actually think Daisy stole show, which is super impressive given that it's her 1st film (I think).

One thing though, I was fine with John putting on an American accent the first time since I had never watched any interviews with him so I had no I idea it wasn't his real accent, but since then I've seen a bunch of then and I just watched Attack the Block last night (It was pretty good). He still did a great job. but it was kinda distracting.

He makes a joke about it in some interview. They tried it with his regular accent, but it didn't work for the high energy Finn.

In week 2 we see the part of the media cycle where the hot takes begin to grab the wheel, and writers (some of whom want this heat, some of whom had it assigned and are just doing the best with what they can) are knowing that the words "Star Wars" in a headline will garner a set number of clicks by itself, and are looking to get those shares/tweets/fb mentions up.

Which is why you end up with a financial writer with little knowledge of the film industry writing super-contradictory articles like "Star Wars Stinks, Admit It" or whatever, among other saucily headlined posts that feature much less controversial opinions, written semi-decently to shittily past the click.

Birth Movies Death currently features a decently written article about the editing, which is interesting to me, as that's one of my bigger problems with the movie. And then halfway through it becomes apparent the article isn't so much about the editing of The Force Awakens, but the editing of GHOST SHARK 2, the one film the writer actually made. Which isn't as interesting.

Knoxcore

People who think there should be as much technological progress as in our world and times or any at all have cleary not understood the StarWars universe. This is a galaxy where the Republic has stood for thousands of years, where hyperspace travel, blasters, lightsabers, holograms and targeting computers have been around for thousands of years.
You should not expect any technological progress in 20 or 30 years.

Starkiller base is also not a direct technological progression at all.
The mass alone you would need to accumulate for something like this, you could probably build like 10 Deathstars easily. Nobody noticed?!
The Emperor had the plans for the death star during AOTC times already and Death Star II was just a slightly bigger and more powerful copy of those plans, like 25 years later. (and took multiple years to get to semi completed state).
Starkiler base is a planet with an atmosphere, trees and birds. HOW DOES IT MOVE THROUGH HYPERSPACE and maintain the atmosphere?
(EDIT: Also IF you can build up planets and move them around through hyperspace as a small splinter faction in the course of like 10-20 years, wouldn't that universe be full of artificial star systems? You could essentially just reconfigure systems how you want. A cold rocky desert world? Just move it closer to its sun! No problem. There would only be perfect worlds in such a universe. It just destroys so much of the lore.)
It also uses a completely different method to fire. It sucks suns empty for ammunition, something the Deathstar managed with its own reactor core and then fires 5 weirdly arcing and homing beams to destroy multiple planets at once. It is a terrible concept.
They could have just used a Death Star III that shoots at a sun and causes it to go Red Giant that engulfs its orbiting worlds but no, they went with the more fantastical "let the dark side suck in all the visible light" rhyming metaphor and imo it is absolutely impractical and terrible and not a direct technological progression.
It also makes no sense that the Resistance, after a brainstorming session of 2 minutes knows exactly how to blow it up with 8 X-Wings, when Death Star I and II both were practically invincible and could only be destroyed in last ditch efforts after construction blueprints were found or before the station was fully operational.
Starkiller base IS fully operational and it is still a cakewalk to destroy it. It invalidates the efforts in ANH and ROTJ.

The whole thing feels more like the script writers didn't really care for logic or lore (it is a space FANTASY!) and said "let's have the final lightsaber battle in a snowy dark, cold forest and we need a trench run! Where? Could we somehow combine the superweapon and this location? Yes! Let's do it!"

Yes, the Republic was around for one thousand years before the Galactic Empire, but remember, there was peace and justice (relatively speaking) during those one thousand years. There was no incentive to create a device that can destroy an entire planet. That's my whole point. War creates the incentive to mobilize technology and innovation to defeat your enemy. The Galactic War created that incentive. There was no Death Star before the Empire. There were no clone troopers before the Clone Wars. There were no X-Wings before the the Galactic War. Even AT-AT and Star Destroyers were new and upgraded throughout the Rebellion. If anything, Episodes I though VII have shown that technology does progress during wartime in the galaxy.

As for the technological feasibility of Starkiller Base. I don't care. Technology and physics do not make sense in the Star War universe. It never has. So this is not really an argument that can be made.

As for why they went unnoticed for 30 years (I assume it took thirty years to build this), the Star Wars Database is clear, the First Order was in uncharted/unexplored galactic territory. A galaxy is huge. 100 billion+ stars in our own. You can't track or find everything.

Now, I will agree that Starkiller Base lacked a certain umph for me. It was not very intimidating and there were two major transgressions that almost ruined the whole scene for me. 1) As you said, the Resistance figured out how to destroy the thing in 2 minutes and 2) Phasma single handily took down the shields to the planet. WTH?

JB1981

In week 2 we see the part of the media cycle where the hot takes begin to grab the wheel, and writers (some of whom want this heat, some of whom had it assigned and are just doing the best with what they can) are knowing that the words "Star Wars" in a headline will garner a set number of clicks by itself, and are looking to get those shares/tweets/fb mentions up.

Which is why you end up with a financial writer with little knowledge of the film industry writing super-contradictory articles like "Star Wars Stinks, Admit It" or whatever, among other saucily headlined posts that feature much less controversial opinions, written semi-decently to shittily past the click.

Birth Movies Death currently features a decently written article about the editing, which is interesting to me, as that's one of my bigger problems with the movie. And then halfway through it becomes apparent the article isn't so much about the editing of The Force Awakens, but the editing of GHOST SHARK 2, the one film the writer actually made. Which isn't as interesting.

The LA Times article was well written and argued though.

Interfectum

I'm eagerly awaiting the GAF thread "TFA backlash begins?" listing the articles and metacritic user score as evidence.

levious

lol! using this line seems to have become so common in hack film criticism over the last few years, I don't get the trend. Faulkner's grave is probably full of postmortem vomit at this point

It's Macbeth. The Sound and the Fury (Faulkner novel) took it's title from the monologue as well as the concept of a tale told by an idiot.

Top Bottom