• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Phew, I still can't get over how much better the new lead trio is than the trio from the OT. They really nailed the casting and characters.

Rey > Luke
Finn > Leia
Poe > Han Solo

Also BB-8 > C3PO

If only Kylo Ren didn't suck so bad. Such a shame as they had a much better villain available, Captain Phasma, whom they utterly wasted.

DMY4ixu.gif

atr0cious

You're right!

JvUlbFW.gif
Close, but you put the ewok movies in the wrong place.

ANH
ESB
CoC
BfE
ROTJ
TFA

The wicket order is the superior way to watch the films, as it shows why the ewoks could take on the empire. They take on a huge troll and then a metal army led by blank magic and a kick ass sword. Plus it gives reason for wicket having an affinity for Leia, as it would remind him of sindel.

Be sure to watch the ewok movies in one go, as they're pretty much one whole movie. Also, fun fact, Rocketeer and First avenger director Joe Johnston does the art direction for these movies.

Chuckie

I mean his popularity in the fandom's view, not his story importance.

Though he maybe one of the members from Finn's squad (as he was the leader) during his training days. Which would match his familiarity and hatred seeing Finn out of uniform and killing another trooper.

TR-8R is an internet meme. It is funny but like all meme's will probably just disappear.
I don't think TR-8R will reach Boba Fett status, something which still might be possible for Phasma although probably not.

W_Dreamer

TR-8R is an internet meme. It is funny but like all meme's will probably just disappear.
I don't think TR-8R will reach Boba Fett status, something which still might be possible for Phasma although probably not.

Yeah, not TR-8R. But people were expecting more from Phasma in this movie, hopefully she'll exceeds expectations for the next one.

Also, just wondering is it TFA bias, or can the melee fighters of EP VII working together, legitimately do anything against padawan Anakin from EP II?

lljmT0h.png

So, consider if Kylo is healthy and mentally composed (vs. Poe/Rey's Blaster shots)
- TR-8R considers Anakin a traitor
- Rey is ALREADY amped by the Force (vs. Kylo)
- Finn is determined to fight hard (vs. Kylo/TR-8R)
- Anakin is as he was with Obiwan's lightsaber (vs. Dooku)

Can Kylo's Telekinesis, Rey's Force channelling, Finn and TR-8R/FN-199/Nines' elite stormtrooper training pose some sort of trouble for padawan Anakin?

munchie64

Phew, I still can't get over how much better the new lead trio is than the trio from the OT. They really nailed the casting and characters.

Rey > Luke
Finn > Leia
Poe > Han Solo

Also BB-8 > C3PO

If only Kylo Ren didn't suck so bad. Such a shame as they had a much better villain available, Captain Phasma, whom they utterly wasted.

DMY4ixu.gif
Why do you care so much about this? You're weird.

Fliesen

Hayden trying to look anything was bad, I still think that those movies could have been somewhat better if they chose a good actor.

Ewan McGregor is a great actor, and even he couldn't save some of the dumb lines.

You think Leo would have made the "I don't like sand, it's coarse and gets everywhere" into an Oscar
nomination
worthy moment?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Why do you care so much about this? You're weird.

?

I'm allowed my opinion, no? Force Awakens is better than A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. Haven't decided if it places above Empire Strikes back though.

I'm failing to see how Phasma was ever considered "better" when she did nothing in her one and only on screen appearance so far.

Because Gwendolyn Christie plays her (she's awesome) and Phasma has an incredible design. They had a chance for the first iconic female Star Wars villain and blew it, instead focusing on a poor villain that didn't really resonate with the public the way Rey/Finn/Poe did. Hoping Phasma gets a chance to shine in Episode VIII.

Veelk

Banned
instead focusing on a poor villain that didn't really resonate with the public the way Rey/Finn/Poe did.

I'm actually really wondering how the public is going over this. Because it's a weird thing to measure.

Everyone agrees that Kylo Ren is a wannabe.

But that's where his narrative strength lies in. He has a goal that he's striving for, trying to achieve, and meeting adversity.

It makes him more interesting than Vader was in ANH, where he was just a generic badass, yelling stuff and being intimidating and cool, but not complex. And I think that the latter always beats out the former in importance.

But some people do just want generic badassery.

So it's hard to gauge whose going "This dude sucks, I hate it" and "This dude sucks, I love it". I mean, in this thread alone, there has been atleast as much attention paid to his actual character arc as there has been to Rey and Finn's, and while everyone loves Poe no one really talks about him too much because the dude has no arc and is a flatter character.

Man.

I'm still so disappointed by TFA. I'm not sure, if I just matured too much or got too cynical, but the movie is total schlock to me. The Star Wars equivalent to Jurassic World. Utterly forgetable, racing from scene to scene and feeling like another one of those plastic, soulless movies out of hollywood's movie mass production factories.
It's worse than anything Lucas could have made. It's boring and predictable.

munchie64

?

I'm allowed my opinion, no? Force Awakens is better than A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. Haven't decided if it places above Empire Strikes back though.
Come on. You can't not get what I'm talking about? Chiming in with opinions repeated ad nauseum in every thread possible. Man just in the date thread you complained about Rouge One looking like Firefly again.
Although tbf you didn't link to your BB-8 thread.

Either way I apologise for my first comment I was probably too harsh.

CD'S BAR

Rey > Luke
Finn > Leia
Poe > Han Solo

Also BB-8 > C3PO

Poe > Han? Yikes. I disagree with the others also but this is the most egregious.

Poe is the most flat character in the whole movie. He's a charismatic wholesome hero at the beginning of the movie and just the same at the end. He has no arc at all. Not to mention there's not one moment of conflict between him and Finn, two guys who should hate each other at first given their backgrounds, or at least be a little mistrusting of each other. But instead they're best buds instantly and forever.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Finally saw TFA for the first time last night, where can I go to get up to speed on the most enlightening and/or thought provoking observations made by fans so far?

edit: And thank you Bobby Roberts for the links in the OP to behind the scenes art! Those are my favorite things about these movies!

Arthea

Finally saw TFA for the first time last night, where can I go to get up to speed on the most enlightening and/or thought provoking observations made by fans so far?

I'm not entirely sure you want to do that, we literally talked 8 into the ground already.
Just post your impressions, guesses, observations and see where it will go

LosDaddie

Banned
Poe > Han? Yikes. I disagree with the others also but this is the most egregious.

Poe is the most flat character in the whole movie. He's a charismatic wholesome hero at the beginning of the movie and just the same at the end. He has no arc at all. Not to mention there's not one moment of conflict between him and Finn, two guys who should hate each other at first given their backgrounds, or at least be a little mistrusting of each other. But instead they're best buds instantly and forever.

Poe isn't even a character. He's simply a plot device.

Arthea

I'll take the risk

well, remember you asked for this
Rey is Luke's daughter
Luke is Rey's mother
Rey is Obi's granddaughter
Rey is reincarnated Anakin
Rey is Anakin's sister
some other time travel shit, I paid no attention to
Rey is Dooku's granddaughter
Rey is Kylo sister
Rey is not related to any of them
Finn is related to Mace Windu
Rey is Snoke's something something

OK, I got bored, but there is more

There's a new theory going around that Rey is a reincarnated Anakin.

:lol

it's not new, it's old

Well, there's this theory.
http://i.imgur.com/UqELfwa.jpg

Edit:
Dang, that's big! Um, there's a theory that she's a reincarnated Anakin. See the link. :lol

No and that's before the incorrect info and assumptions made in that image.

Whats the Shmi Theory?
Based on her look and skill,Rey is actually Shmi Skywalker who goes back in time at the end of IX, effectively making her Anakin's mom and explaining his power.

Yes, it is hilariously stupid.

Hey! I resent that and you forgot the important part (you're welcome) Luke gets her pregnant before she goes back in time making Luke his own grandfather like Fry in Futurama and the reason why the Skywalker line is so special. It also keeps things consistent in Skywalker men's taste in women.
fbvWPpP.gif

injurai

Banned
Don't act all high and mighty like you "know". Be dismissive all you want, but there's very little we can actually take off the table at this point (aside from obvious nonsense involving cloning, raising the dead, time travel, etc). There's good reason why such theories will not go away, and obnoxious or condescending remarks from you and others won't be a deterrent.

You're projecting too much, I quite obviously just said I'm going to let these theories slide. If you can't tell I disagree with it and I'd otherwise be inclined to discuss why. I've just done it a hundred times now.

Real Hero

?

Because Gwendolyn Christie plays her (she's awesome) and Phasma has an incredible design. They had a chance for the first iconic female Star Wars villain and blew it, instead focusing on a poor villain that didn't really resonate with the public the way Rey/Finn/Poe did. Hoping Phasma gets a chance to shine in Episode VIII.

Kyo Ren has definitely resonated and they could have had a piece of wood play captain phasma, it would be good if she does anything in the next episode

DerZuhälter;192836867 said:
Man.

I'm still so disappointed by TFA. I'm not sure, if I just matured too much or got too cynical, but the movie is total schlock to me. The Star Wars equivalent to Jurassic World. Utterly forgetable, racing from scene to scene and feeling like another one of those plastic, soulless movies out of hollywood's movie mass production factories.

LOL

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
any thoughts on the character played by Max von Sydow?

He played Luke Skywalker, Hamill refused to return (The end was an apparition when Rey held the saber again)

Little does Kylo know but he killed Luke in the opening few minutes

What a reveal this will be in episode 9

LiamR

They had a chance for the first iconic female Star Wars villain and blew it, instead focusing on a poor villain that didn't really resonate with the public the way Rey/Finn/Poe did.

Speak for yourself. There is lots of love for Kylo Ren. You're welcome to your opinion, but you are definitely in the minority here.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Man.

This is probably how I'd have felt if I came in on opening night with high expectations. My opinion as of now, less than 24 hours after seeing it for the first time, is that on its own it's rather derivetive. While watching, I felt like I was playing one of the Dark Forces video games, which is both a good and a bad thing, if you get my meaning. Hopefully the next films will reveal information that will make some of what we saw on screen more meaningful.

?

I totally agree with the new cast being >> the old cast.

Rey is a much better Luke, Poe is a better Leia, and Finn is equal-ish if not as good as Han.

Phasma apparently plays a big part in Ep. VIII. I want her on a fucking revenge rampage.

prag16

Banned
Man.

That's not it.

Whenever anybody says something like this about any topic, it's almost never it. Kind of like when people say they're too mature to play Mario games. Cynical is probably closer to the mark.

As for the bit about Lucas.... and this is coming from someone who actually LIKES the prequels (God forbid)... that's crazy talk.

Top Bottom