• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Guy.brush

Your Star Trek movie would have been really boring.

*Kirk travels across the country, which takes him days, to go see the Enterprise being built. This scene takes 30 minutes to properly show the lore behind traveling.*

Yes that is what I demand. Everything in real-time. /s
You know editing? You can cut to it being built in orbit?
Anyway don't want to derail this further, it was just a quick example how cool moments and convenient coincidences take priority in Abrams movies. Just like Spock in the first cave on the ice planet, transwarp beaming, communicating across the galaxy or any other of the long list of scenes that people feel hurts their suspension of disbelief or violates prior rules of the universe he is trying to reinvent/reinvigorate/imitate.
I don't mind stuff like that when it feels the plot is solid, the script has had lots and lots of polish and this is the only way to do it really without sacrificing something valueable, but most of the time it feels lazy or they ran out of time with the script process.

Ghazi

GO4onE0.gif

To me, Rey looks like she's confused, scared, exhausted, and vulnerable. Edit : There is some strength and resolve in there as well. This was probably my favorite moment of acting by Ridley in the film to be honest.

Luke looks like "Aw boy, not this shit". I think he was waiting for this moment, but is sad that it came.
*brings lightsaber out*

*accidentally force pushes Luke off cliff*

Ambient80

I loved the Luke scene at the end, but the way Rey tried to hand over the lightsaber was weird, pointing the front towards Luke.

If you were to hand over a knife to someone, you do it by pointing the handle towards them. If you were to hand over a sword to a person in sign of respect and reverence, you would offer the sword sideways.

No big deal, but that detail jumped to me immediately while I was watching.

LOL it'd be truly unfortunate if Luke took it as her wanting to duel. "Oh you're here to fight, huh? Ok..." That would end...tragically for Rey lol.

jelly

GO4onE0.gif

To me, Rey looks like she's confused, scared, exhausted, and vulnerable. Edit : There is some strength and resolve in there as well. This was probably my favorite moment of acting by Ridley in the film to be honest.

Luke looks like "Aw boy, not this shit". I think he was waiting for this moment, but is sad that it came.

I think Luke managed to create life and Rey is that life maybe even a loss reincarnated.

Bit gutted if we won't see a continuation of that scene and it skips forward.

Hiding.

He became a hermit after Kylo Ren betrayed him.

We're not told exactly why, though. Han says he felt responsible for it but we're not really sure why he went into hiding.

Seemed pretty cut and dry to me.

Luke started teaching new force sensitives in the ways of the force. Ben Solo becomes corrupted by Snokes influence and legacy tales of Vader. Ben under Snoke joins and becomes leader of the Knights of Ren changing his name to Kylo Ren and as part of his change in allegiance kills or converts the other force sensitives and commits other atrocities.

Luke being the one who allowed his corruption and made him strong enough that snoke paid interest in him would fill Luke with shame, doubt and a feeling of betrayal. Luke goes to live at the original Jedi temple to better himself and grow more wise. It's a very weak move for Luke he basically runs away leaving Kylo Ren to terrorize the Galaxy.

It's so awkward for them to just be standing there in that position, not moving, with her arm outstretched for that long. Could have been filmed better imo.
I love what she is doing. Her look is so damn sad and imploring. She is demanding her acknowledge the saber. Take the damn thing, she is telling him. What I don't like is how long they hold on Luke. He should've done something, or cut to ending sooner.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well, they were under attack. Not the best time for a history lesson. Though my brain translated that to, "A good question, for the next film."
My brain translated that into "lazy writing, probably based on a re-shoot" and so it was...

OnPoint

I loved the Luke scene at the end, but the way Rey tried to hand over the lightsaber was weird, pointing the front towards Luke.

If you were to hand over a knife to someone, you do it by pointing the handle towards them. If you were to hand over a sword to a person in sign of respect and reverence, you would offer the sword sideways.

No big deal, but that detail jumped to me immediately while I was watching.

I think the idea is, that if he were to "grab" it, it would be by using the force.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's so awkward for them to just be standing there in that position, not moving, with her arm outstretched for that long. Could have been filmed better imo.

This got me

I agree. Its the worst shot scene of the whole film, which is extremely sad given its the ending shot. It just doesnt fit or look right, like a different DP handled it, and it was graded differently. No clue why they went that route with it. The idea is great, the execution is poor (which is suprising as the rest of the film tends to be the opposite, lol)

Luke comes off as a coward

Han literally confronting a force user of immense power and attempting to bring him back

Meanwhile...Luke...

Rian fix this shit. Give me a good explanation for this.

It was honestly wierd that Luke's lightsaber was just sitting in Maz's basement, and she was like "it's a story for another time" how she got it. Uh okay. Ran out of ideas much?

I don't totally mind that. I don't think everything needs an highly elaborate backstory to it all. It's why I can't stand reading Wookiepedia, because basically every minor background character has some long and complicated backstory for some reason.

chaislip3

While I absolutely love TFA (seeing it 5th time this week) there were a few moments of dialogue in it that were very weak. One was Maz making this statement to Finn. You have the eyes of a person who wants to run away. She tells him this RIGHT AFTER HE TELLS THEM ALL THAT THEY SHOULDN'T FIGHT AND SHOULD RUN. Was she not listening, or does she just like to repeat shit and pretend to be smart? It was kind of dumb . . .

I thought it was the other way around? Maz tells Finn about his eyes and how he wants to run away from the fight, and then he's like "Nah, I know the First Order's power. We ALL need to run."

Well, they were under attack. Not the best time for a history lesson. Though my brain translated that to, "A good question, for the next film."

I'm mostly speechless at how disposable her character becomes to the story after that point. She's literally lost in the attack.

Han literally confronting a force user of immense power and attempting to bring him back

Meanwhile...Luke...

I'm pretty sure JJ and Kasdan already decided why Luke vanished otherwise it all falls apart. Rian might have tinkered with it a bit but it's bound to have already been covered.

Ishida

Banned
LOL it'd be truly unfortunate if Luke took it as her wanting to duel. "Oh you're here to fight, huh? Ok..." That would end...tragically for Rey lol.

That'd be hilarious. Because the way Rey is offering a lightsaber is indeed a threatening one. For example, the way old Obi Wan hands over the lightsaber to Luke is the correct way of handing over a weapon, with the front pointing away from the receiver.

Guy.brush

Meanwhile...Luke...

Easy. There is something of ancient power deep inside this old Jedi temple that Luke tried to solve to lead him to Snoke.
Episode XIII starts with an amphibious ESB walker-style assault of First Order troops trying to take the island.
Luke, Rey and whoever decided to join them flee the planet and act 2 starts when they must head to the Outer Rim.

Interfectum

Meanwhile...Luke...

Luke is probably going to be like "I'm fucking done. I tried, I stopped a fucking empire and what happened? Ya'll let the First Order grow and blow up a billion more people. I'm out. I took Hans son and tried to train him, he killed everyone. I'm done. Get the fuck off my island."

This guy Luke is a sucker. Hiding out in Iceland while the problem he was supposed to be fixing kills his brother-in-law, Max Sydow, and watches billions of people die.

Im not sure why everyone is shocked Luke went into hiding. His force ghost advisors of Yoda and Obi-Wan probably told him that when Dark Jedi appear out of nowhere and you do not immediately defeat them you are required by Jedi Code to flee to a remote location and wait for a young adult to find you for training.

BFIB

Meanwhile...Luke...

Someone mentioned on Full of Sith, but what if Max Vow Sydows character took Rey from Luke when she was younger to protect her? So Luke thinks she is dead, which explains his look at the end. And it explains the "I hope this starts to make good " comment he says to Poe.

Meanwhile...Luke...

Leia explicitly says that sending Kylo away to Luke was the moment they lost him.

Luke seems to recognize Rey in the final scene, so he most likely intentionally refused to train Rey or even bring her up in the Force until she could make the choice for herself, lest he drive her to the dark side by putting the galaxy on her shoulders.

At the same time, he needed to make sure he'd still be around if she looked for guidance, so he goes into hiding and leaves a trail of breadcrumbs to help her find him should she choose to.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm mostly speechless at how disposable her character becomes to the story after that point. She's literally lost in the attack.

I recall a quote from JJ saying she was suppose to go with them to the Resistance base, but she was just dead weight at that point so they cut those scenes, basically restating what you said.

Her character had one purpose in life, give Rey the lightsaber, past that she's not needed anymore.

One question I do have, what happen to the "lightsaber in space" after opening crawl scene? Do we think it was ever a real thing, or just a fake rumor put out there? I dont see why it would be intentionally faked and put out there given that the lightsaber still palyed an important part in the film.

Dead

well not really...yet
Saw that article about the deleted scenes. Damn, they were just too aggressive in that final cut, and honestly, I would have liked for them to have kept Maz as force sensitive with that whole scene involving her and han.

Really hope we get a Special Edition, even if it happens without JJs involvement honestly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Leia explicitly says that sending Kylo away to Luke was the moment they lost him.

Luke seems to recognize Rey in the final scene, so he most likely intentionally refused to train Rey or even bring her up in the Force until she could make the choice for herself, lest he drive her to the dark side by putting the galaxy on her shoulders.

At the same time, he needed to make sure he'd still be around if she looked for guidance, so he goes into hiding and leaves a trail of breadcrumbs to help her find him should she choose to.

Luke left no trail of breadcrumbs for Rey to find him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Maybe JJ was a big Drive fan.

I thought it was the other way around? Maz tells Finn about his eyes and how he wants to run away from the fight, and then he's like "Nah, I know the First Order's power. We ALL need to run."
He gives a short version of it first. He tells them all how they can't win, they need to run, etc. 2-3 sentences Then Maz makes her statement. Then he gives his more grand version of his speech.

chaislip3

One question I do have, what happen to the "lightsaber in space" after opening crawl scene? Do we think it was ever a real thing, or just a fake rumor put out there? I dont see why it would be intentionally faked and put out there given that the lightsaber still palyed an important part in the film.

I think it was real at some point, but during filming the McGuffin was changed from the lightsaber to the map piece.

He gives a short version of it first. He tells them all how they can't win, they need to run, etc. 2-3 sentences Then Maz makes her statement. Then he gives his more grand version of his speech.

Oh, gotcha. You've seen the movie more than I have so I'm sure you know what's up.

Guy.brush

I recall a quote from JJ saying she was suppose to go with them to the Resistance base, but she was just dead weight at that point so they cut those scenes, basically restating what you said.

Her character had one purpose in life, give Rey the lightsaber, past that she's not needed anymore.

As far as we know this was not supposed to be the saber landing on Jakku but another flashbacky thing that is revealed to be one later in the film when you see the saber going through different hands over the decades and also being in space above a planet.
All feels a bit undercooked tbh. If you had that saber land on Jakku or being inside the wrecks of the star destroyer Rey searches, it would have felt a bit better probably.
The saber could also have been the map to Luke without the need for a seperate, 2nd "MacGuffin".

FloatOn

Opening shot of star wars episode 8

> Han Solo's funeral
> Resistance is gathered in full regalia
> Side converation with Poe and Leia "we will make the first order PAY for what they did"
> Cut to Rey and Luke
> Rey covered in dirt and physically exhausted laying on the ground
> Luke: "GET UP... AGAIN"
> Cut to Snoke throne room
> First shot of Snoke in person with Kylo who has a crazy scar on his face
> Snoke to Kylo "To complete your training you must understand fear and suffering"
> Snoke force lightnings Kylo to the ground

of course this is my fanfic bullshit

Luke left no trail of breadcrumbs for Rey to find him.

So, his droid just happened to shut off after he disappeared with the better part of the contents of a map that leads to his current location, then turned on as soon as Rey arrived on-planet; the other part of the map was left with an old friend on a planet where Rey just happens to be; Han was trolling around Jakku and conveniently never looked in the sector of the planet where Rey lives for the ship he was desperate to get back; and Maz - who apparently knows both Luke and Han - inexplicably ended up with his old lightsaber.

And we're not supposed to conclude that Luke left hoping Rey would eventually find him?

Ambient80

That'd be hilarious. Because the way Rey is offering a lightsaber is indeed a threatening one. For example, the way old Obi Wan hands over the lightsaber to Luke is the correct way of handing over a weapon, with the front pointing away from the receiver.

Thank god she didn't pull out her blaster by mistake, things would have gotten really hairy lmao

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So, his droid shut off after he disappeared with the better part of the contents of a map that leads to his current location, then turned on as soon as she arrived on-planet; that the other part of the map was left with an old friend on a planet where Rey just happens to be; that Han was trolling around Jakku and conveniently never looked in the sector of the planet where Rey lives for the ship he was hoping to get back someday; and that someone who apparently knows both Luke and Han ended up with his lightsaber.

And we're not supposed to conclude that Luke left hoping Rey would eventually find him?

The First Order and R2 have the same map, which was obtained from the imperial archive according to Ben, and it's missing the same part. It's confirmed to be from the same source by JJ/Kasdan since they said R2 got it in the OT when downloading a bunch of stuff from the death star.

The map is a map to the first jedi temple.

The opening crawl says Tekka found a CLUE to Luke's whereabouts on Jakku. Jakku was basically the Area51 of the empire. Logic is they found the part missing from that map.

Luke has nothing to do with any of this, he is believed to be at the first temple so they are all looking for the map to the first temple.

Makes 100 times more sense than a stupid puzzle left by Luke, let alone one intended for Rey lol.

GO4onE0.gif

Who the hell are you and how did you find me? Did Leia send you? I told her not to send me any more demon children. You're not a demon child are you?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Rey is the first truly iconic, strong woman in Star Wars. That's why she's resonated with the public so much and become arguably the most popular character.

Leia had the potential, but they ruined her in ROTJ with that embarrassing bikini slave get up, then having her wait like a damsel in distress in that teddy bear village.

Episode VII had a chance to redeem Leia, and make her tough again, but they only succeeded partially by making her a general which was OK I guess. Should she not have the same potential level of power as Luke since she's his TWIN? I wanted to see her cracking some skulls, not just "sense" that Han died. Watch her end up being Snoke lol.

Ashhong

I love what she is doing. Her look is so damn sad and imploring. She is demanding her acknowledge the saber. Take the damn thing, she is telling him. What I don't like is how long they hold on Luke. He should've done something, or cut to ending sooner.

We are basically saying the same thing. I also love what she is doing, I hate how they shot it. It lingers too long on the moment in general. With no dialogue, it just seems so awkward.

This got me

That shot gets criticised a lot, but I don't mind it. I like that they are showing off a real location when it could have been green screened. I like that the movie ends on a sort of discordant note.

Top Bottom