• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Maz lived through the battle at her temple place, yeah? I was so caught up in everything else that I don't even remember.

We didn't see her killed and there was no reference to her dying, so she presumably survives. I think the last scene we see is her telling Finn that he already has a weapon when he asks for a Blaster.

Ambient80

We didn't see her killed and there was no reference to her dying, so she presumably survives. I think the last scene we see is her telling Finn that he already has a weapon when he asks for a Blaster.

Cool, I liked her. One of the few new alien characters that felt relatable, on some level at least, since the OT.

She recognizes him by look. It's not defined well enough within the scene to know if it's just his face, his demeanor, the fact that he knows the ship well, his overall description and that he's hanging out with a Wookie, or maybe he says Chewy and it clicks.

It's just something that's shown that, as that scene goes on, she starts to suspect it until she's pretty certain and calls him on it. At that point it's revealed that's she knows all about him and she knows about the legends of The Force and Luke and all that.

Han says his name and she recognizes it from the stories she's heard, just like she recognizes Luke's name.

She never mentions or shows any signs that she has actually met him before that moment. Only that she's heard of him, when they go back and forth with what type of person he is, before Chewie shrugs.

It's kinda sad that the Maz passing lightsaber to Leia scene was cut. That whole mythic-feeling teaser trailer, and that shot in particular, lulled me into believing we were actually getting a new chapter of the gospel handed down from on high... Of course it was a typical movie that would have re-writes and re-shoots and cut scenes.... Alas. ;)

I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see her force powers as stated in the shot-list. I was expecting something new.

Haven't gone to watch it again yet but am I remembering wrong or were Rey and Luke's expressions when they see each other really, really sad?

Ambient80

Haven't gone to watch it again yet but am I remembering wrong or were Rey and Luke's expressions when they see each other really, really sad?

I know Luke looked sort of sad, Rey was more exhaustion/fear?

Also damn googling some of the pics of Hamill with the robes and such on, he looks like such a badass. I hope we get a good fight scene out of him at some point. Nothing crazy with flips and prequel junk. Just a straight up legit light saber duel with someone.

All total speculation/wishful thinking from here on out...Maybe he takes out/converts Kylo in the last part of the trilogy and Rey takes down Supreme Leader Snoke or something. I'm assuming Kylo is the student that turned to the dark side that Luke felt so guilty about? I don't think it was ever stated plainly, but I mean.... If so it would be cool to see them battle and Luke manage to convert him to the light side or something. Bring that arc with Luke full circle. I dunno tho, as much as they talked about Kylo still having light in him, I feel like killing Han sort of finished that off.

Chewie is already married. Mala is still canon.

Where is Mala shown as his wife that's still canon? I'm not stating it's otherwise, genuinely asking.

Han says his name and she recognizes it from the stories she's heard, just like she recognizes Luke's name.

She never mentions or shows any signs that she has actually met him before that moment. Only that she's heard of him, when they go back and forth with what type of person he is, before Chewie shrugs.

Didn't suggest that she'd met him. But that she suspected something of him because the legends aren't just names but descriptions. She mentions smuggler, Finn mentions Rebellion War Hero, then she asks Chewbacca if he was war hero and it's at that he shrugs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it was the right decision for the film. Otherwise I think the lightsaber would have changed hands a few too many times. There's a nice, slick, logical progression from Maz to Finn to Rey in the final cut.
Yeah possibly.

It seemed more to do with the fact that the lightsaber was no longer the macguffin to lead to Luke, the map was.

Not sure how I feel about that.... A quest for an iconic weapon of import to both the Star Wars galaxy and movie history... Or a quest for a convenient and rather silly star map? :p

It was honestly wierd that Luke's lightsaber was just sitting in Maz's basement, and she was like "it's a story for another time" how she got it. Uh okay. Ran out of ideas much?

Veelk

Banned
No he didn't.

Snoke is about 7ft tall.

Whatever they say now, they can change it up until he actually shows up on screen.

Personally, I want him to really be that huge. It'd just be an interesting confrontation.

"*Rey storms in* Alright, I'm ready to take on Sno....*sees snokes foot. Looks up to see him staring down on her* oh. So um....The dark side, you were saying? Suddenly, I'm intrigued"

What I got from the last scene:

Rey, at first and for the longest time, looks incredibly nervous. Nervous about what she's going to start with Luke, where her life will go from here, and whatever she might find out about her parents. Her face then morphs into something more determined.

Luke, on the other hand, just looks plain guilty — and I mean REALLY guilty — with a touch of sadness.

GO4onE0.gif

To me, Rey looks like she's confused, scared, exhausted, and vulnerable. Edit : There is some strength and resolve in there as well. This was probably my favorite moment of acting by Ridley in the film to be honest.

Luke looks like "Aw boy, not this shit". I think he was waiting for this moment, but is sad that it came.

Guy.brush

This is one of those nitpicks that keeps getting brought up inverse to its actual importance in the film.

It's basically a so what. It's this film's "How come Chewie didn't get a medal." basically. A very minor oversight that doesn't get in the way of the emotion the film's trying to focus on unless you really want it to, or you're trying to goof on it for comedic purposes.

Yeah, you could say it's weird that Chewie just strolls right past her, just as it's weird that Chewie didn't get a medal. Or you could dive deep down that rabbit hole (which is what the complaint seems intended to do, open a door for experts to go into just how much the relationship between the two means, and how it should be represented) and just as equally suggest that maybe Chewie's not in a hurry to embrace Leia very much because he just dumped a shot in the kidneys of the kid she sent Han to retrieve for her.

I mean, Chewie's an emotional dude. Maybe he's not particularly happy at the idea that Han even tried what he tried, and he's not particularly happy that Leia was the one who told him to try it. And maybe he doesn't want to explain to her that he tried to murder the fucking kid as soon as he had the opportunity.

Or maybe it's just that the shot Abrams wanted was Rey (the lead) and Leia (the leader) hugging separately from the celebration. If Chewie had to walk on by like Isaac Hayes to get that shot? Shrug.

Of course that is the case. Abrams is all about prioritising cool shots and moments before the lore, logic or character dynamics.
That is how we got Kirk on a motorbike brooding over the Enterprise being constructed on the ground. There was nothing more behind it than the desire to have that shot and thus the old Trek lore of these bigger capital ships not touching ground was brushed aside.

That is how we got Kirk on a motorbike brooding over the Enterprise being constructed on the ground.

This is also a kind of super-dumb nitpick that doesn't really mean shit.

Also, you're misusing the term Lore. Almost nothing that people refer to as "lore" in Star Wars (or anything, really) is actually "Lore."

Lore's basically just become the word people use to make their super-stupid backstory of choice sound cooler/more important than it actually is.

Of course that is the case. Abrams is all about prioritising cool shots and moments before the lore, logic or character dynamics.
That is how we got Kirk on a motorbike brooding over the Enterprise being constructed on the ground. There was nothing more behind it than the desire to have that shot and thus the old Trek lore of these bigger capital ships not touching ground was brushed aside.

who_gives_a_shit.gif

Cagey

Banned
For anyone who has read both Aftermath and Lost Stars, which book should I read first? I have both sitting on my coffee table.

GO4onE0.gif

To me, Rey looks like she's confused, scared, exhausted, and vulnerable.

Luke looks like "Aw boy, not this shit". I think he was waiting for this moment, but is sad that it came.

Luke in that scene reminds me of when he was watching Vader's funeral pyre.

Dunno why.
After my second viewing I was convinced Luke is standing next to a grave site (that little mound of dirt and then the rock sticking up next to it).

Whatever they say now, they can change it up until he actually shows up on screen.

Personally, I want him to really be that huge. It'd just be an interesting confrontation.

"*Rey storms in* Alright, I'm ready to take on Sno....*sees snokes foot. Looks up to see him staring down on her* oh. So um....The dark side, you were saying? Suddenly, I'm intrigued"
I wouldn't mind this. They circle strafe and slash at Snoke's ankles like he was a Dark Souls boss.

Ambient80

GO4onE0.gif

To me, Rey looks like she's confused, scared, exhausted, and vulnerable. Edit : There is some strength and resolve in there as well. This was probably my favorite moment of acting by Ridley in the film to be honest.

That last look almost has a hint of anger in it, too, at least imo. Anger, guilt, sadness

Guy.brush

This is also a kind of super-dumb nitpick that doesn't really mean shit.

Also, you're misusing the term Lore. Almost nothing that people refer to as "lore" in Star Wars (or anything, really) is actually "Lore."

Lore's basically just become the word people use to make their super-stupid backstory of choice sound cooler/more important than it actually is.

Yes I agree it is a super tiny nitpick but exemplary how stuff in his movies gets prioritized in order to have convenient scenes. So the Enterprise gets constructed on the ground without any structure around it and close to the bar Kirk just had a fight in so he can drive by with his bike and make his choice.

Supposedly Snoke is truly that tall, Andy Sekis said so.

Multiple sources have confirmed he is around 7ft

“Andy Serkis, the master of CGI characters from Gollum to King Kong, plays the still-unseen Supreme Leader Snoke who has scenes with Kylo Ren. “All I can say is that I’m involved in it,” he has said. But Neal Scanlan, chief of creature and droid effects, told PEOPLE, “This character is much better executed as a CGI character. That’s just a practical reality when he’s 7-foot-something tall; he’s very, very thin.”

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
GO4onE0.gif

I hadn't noticed Rey's outfit is different there.

Ambient80

For anyone who has read both Aftermath and Lost Stars, which book should I read first? I have both sitting on my coffee table.

After my second viewing I was convinced Luke is standing next to a grave site (that little mound of dirt and then the rock sticking up next to it).

This is supposed to be at the first Jedi temple isn't it? Maybe the gravesite of one of the first Jedi? That'd be neat.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is supposed to be at the first Jedi temple isn't it? Maybe the gravesite of one of the first Jedi? That'd be neat.

Might be the grave of Luke's wife, tried to find a way to bring her back to life, I don't know :p

Where is Mala shown as his wife that's still canon? I'm not stating it's otherwise, genuinely asking.

Didn't suggest that she'd met him. But that she suspected something of him because the legends aren't just names but descriptions. She mentions smuggler, Finn mentions Rebellion War Hero, then she asks Chewbacca if he was war hero and it's at that he shrugs.

right, but she didn't know it was him until he said his name.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yes I agree it is a super tiny nitpick but exemplary how stuff in his movies gets prioritized in order to have convenient scenes. So the Enterprise gets constructed on the ground without any structure around it and close to the bar Kirk just had a fight in so he can drive by with his bike and make his choice.

Your Star Trek movie would have been really boring.

*Kirk travels across the country, which takes him days, to go see the Enterprise being built. This scene takes 30 minutes to properly show the lore behind traveling.*

While I absolutely love TFA (seeing it 5th time this week) there were a few moments of dialogue in it that were very weak. One was Maz making this statement to Finn. You have the eyes of a person who wants to run away. She tells him this RIGHT AFTER HE TELLS THEM ALL THAT THEY SHOULDN'T FIGHT AND SHOULD RUN. Was she not listening, or does she just like to repeat shit and pretend to be smart? It was kind of dumb . . .

Ashhong

GO4onE0.gif

It's so awkward for them to just be standing there in that position, not moving, with her arm outstretched for that long. Could have been filmed better imo.

This got me

Ambient80

You think he garners all that from the look she gave? I think it's more of an immedate concern / dislike of someone distrubing him.

Considering his power with the Force, it's likely he knew about that system being destroyed long before she got there. Even Obi Wan knew of the Death Star destroying Alderaan, and he doesn't have half of Luke's power most likely.

One thing with Anakin/Luke's saber:

How does Kylo know it? He says to Finn that the saber belongs to him, but if it was missing from Bespin till now then when did he see it? Possible that Luke was the one who retrieved it and handed it down to Kylo? Then possibly took it away and gave it to Maz?

More credence IMO that Maz was part of Luke's Jedi order.

Yeah possibly.

It seemed more to do with the fact that the lightsaber was no longer the macguffin to lead to Luke, the map was.

Not sure how I feel about that.... A quest for an iconic weapon of import to both the Star Wars galaxy and movie history... Or a quest for a convenient and rather silly star map? :p

I felt like it was a huge missed opportunity that the lightsaber wasn't the key to waking up R2, and that he woke up without Rey - who the map is clearly "intended for" from a storytelling perspective - ever interacting with him at all.

It was honestly wierd that Luke's lightsaber was just sitting in Maz's basement, and she was like "it's a story for another time" how she got it. Uh okay. Ran out of ideas much?

Yeah...

Ishida

Banned
I loved the Luke scene at the end, but the way Rey tried to hand over the lightsaber was weird, pointing the front towards Luke.

If you were to hand over a knife to someone, you do it by pointing the handle towards them. If you were to hand over a sword to a person in sign of respect and reverence, you would offer the sword sideways.

No big deal, but that detail jumped to me immediately while I was watching.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
One thing with Anakin/Luke's saber:

How does Kylo know it? He says to Finn that the saber belongs to him, but if it was missing from Bespin till now then when did he see it? Possible that Luke was the one who retrieved it and handed it down to Kylo? Then possibly took it away and gave it to Maz?

More credence IMO that Maz was part of Luke's Jedi order.

In the original script Maz steals it from him.

Top Bottom