• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Guy.brush

Luke's first words should have been "Aren't you a little short to be a Sith Lord?"

GO4onE0.gif

Or: Girl, there is an Imperial helicopter drone behind me filming us with a zoom lens. Use that damn thing to destroy it.

Malyse

JJ Abrams‘ first cut of Star Wars: The Force Awakens was almost two hours and forty minutes in length. Lets be clear, that’s his first cut of the movie, not the assembly edit. The film was chopped down to 2 hours and 16 minutes for the final theatrical release, with a reported 20 minutes of scenes getting axed in the last month of editing alone. A dozen full scenes were left on the cutting room floor, not to mention snippets of scenes, moments of dialogue… etc. A lot of these scenes had near-complete visual effects, and some of the characters and moments removed can be seen in some of the merchandise and books. So what was left out of the final theatrical cut? Let’s try to find out.

Warning: The following post contains spoilers for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Don’t read this post if you haven’t seen the movie.

ZZ7EE9F7C5.jpg

Before I get into my exclusive information, let’s first reiterate what Abrams has said about the editing process. Talking to Entertainment Weekly about one cut shot, Abrams revealed more about the process of cutting some of the scenes and moments out of the final edit of the film:

So we ended up leaving those things out. Sometimes you discover that things you would have cut off a limb to shoot on the day are absolutely inconsequential, and in fact less impactful than if you were to remove it… As much as you try to kick the tires and write and shoot only what is necessary — no one wants to waste anyone’s time — when you’re in the editing room you realize, for instance, that introducing the character there actually diminishes their power. Or, giving that information actually distracts you from what you should be concentrating on. Or, having that moment happen concurrent with that moment actually gets in the way of both — things like that.

So what scenes and moments were cut from the final theatrical release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens? We don’t know everything. We only know what we’ve heard from our various sources, mixed with reports from other websites, and cross-checked with the narrative presented in the novelization and other tie-in books. What follows is a list of scenes and moments that didn’t make the final cut of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

sw_prod_rots_anakinle_v2.jpg

Lightsaber in Space

This one might be the most notable as it was one of the first rumors reported about the film. And while the opening sequence didn’t end up in the final film, it was real.

Originally the film was supposed to open with a different scene immediately following the crawl. The camera was to pan down as a hand holding a lightsaber (or maybe just the lightsaber and not the hand — it’s unclear). The lightsaber is is the one that belonged to Anakin Skywalker, which Luke Skywalker lost in Bespin when Darth Vader chopped off his hand. The saber originally flew by through space, heading towards a planet. This shot was cut late in the process.

ZZ55EF0451.jpg

General Leia and the New Republic
In the film, General Leia’s appearance is saved for late in the film. Leia first shows up as Han, Chewie and Finn outside Maz’s castle following the First Order attack. But originally she appeared much earlier in the film. Her appearance set up the Galactic senate, with Leia having a conversation with Korr Sella (played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers), the dark-haired woman who is featured in the balcony scene when Starkiller base blows up Hosinian Prime. The Visual Dictionary features the above screenshot (right) of Korr, which appears to be a shot from this sequence in the movie. The book also explains that Leia, with a reputation twisted by corrupt politicians, relies on the young envoy to “make her case for the Senate to take direct action against the First Order.” While I don’t know the exact extent of what was filmed, the scene is described in the novelization as follows:

As usual, Leia did not waste time on small talk: “You need to go to the Senate right away. Tell them I insist that they take action against the First Order. The longer they bicker and delay, the stronger the Order becomes.” She leaned toward the other woman. “If they fail to take action soon, the Order will have grown so strong the Senate will be unable to do anything. It won’t matter what they think.” Sella indicated her understanding. “With all respect: Do you think the senators will listen?” “I don’t know.” Leia bit down on her lower lip. “So much time has passed. There was a time when they were at least willing to listen. And of course, the Senate’s makeup has changed. Some of those who were always willing to pay attention to me have retired. Some of those who have replaced them have their own agendas.” She smiled ruefully. “Not all senators think I’m crazy. Or maybe they do. I don’t care what they think about me as long as they take action.” The emissary nodded. “I’ll do all I can to ensure the Resistance gets the hearing we deserve. But why don’t you go yourself, General? An appeal of this nature is always more effective when delivered firsthand.” Leia’s smile thinned. “I might make it to the Senate, yes. I might even be able to deliver my speech. But I would never, never get out of the Hosnian system alive. I would have a terrible ‘accident,’ or become the victim of some ‘deranged’ radical. Or I would eat something that didn’t agree with me. Or encounter someone who didn’t agree with me.” She composed herself. “I have total confidence in you, Sella. I know you will deliver our message to the full extent of your considerable abilities.” The emissary smiled back, grateful for the confidence the general was expressing.”

I don’t know why the scene was cut, as it probably provided clarification about the relationships between the Resistance, the New Republic and the First Order, while also setting up Korr and the Senate for the explosive sequence later in the film. I’m guessing that saving Leia’s appearance for later gave the former Princess a better introduction and didn’t slow down the momentum of the first act.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awkens-deleted-scenes/

3 more pages at the link.

Sinistral

The film isn't really aiming to dramatically expand the Star Wars universe; not at this phase. Sure, it could have avoided falling back on carbon copies of the Rebellion and the Empire for its two major factions, but given how spectacularly the clones vs. droids thing failed to captivate audiences with the prequels, I can see why going back to the old status quo makes sense.

At the same time, we can see that they're not just bringing back the old Jedi and the old Sith; they're establishing new characters and Force traditions, and those characters bring their own unique motivations and experiences. Alongside those new characters, they're setting up new themes as well.

TFA is the one movie in the entire film series that dramatically de-emphasizes - and maybe even subtly critiques - the idea that Jedi/Force training and mentorship is important. I mean, the background of this movie is straight-up "Luke's efforts to train new Jedi failed spectacularly and actually drove the new villain to the dark side" and the turning point for the film had the villain literally telling the protagonist "you need a teacher," just before she immediately comes back and beats him purely through faith in the Force.

All previous films implanted in the audience an incredible reverence for training in the Force; this film acts as though such training is both unnecessary and problematic and that the Force's guidance alone is not only sufficient but superior.

This'll set the stage for more interesting dilemmas for the characters, even if the setpieces so far haven't necessarily been groundbreaking.

I really liked this. I hope they continue down this route. I also hope this talk of Rey being a Skywalker is not given any ground. Disney Princess shit all over again. But I wouldnt be surprised. The Skywalker blood heritage should end with Ben.

What time frame does Rogue One take place in? With a Star Wars movie every year, it'll be interesting to know how they move forward with the universe outside of the Episodes.

but but someone snickered in the theater when he took his mask off!!11

I let out s small snicker as I was reminded of his role in Girls... I even caught a few of his speak holds in his delivery. Amazing peformance in TFA despite that fact.

Ashhong

That shot gets criticised a lot, but I don't mind it. I like that they are showing off a real location when it could have been green screened. I like that the movie ends on a sort of discordant note.

Let me clarify, I like the ending, just not the way it's shot. I even like the helicopter shot. It's just so long that it feels like the scene is frozen, except it's not. Like, the way she just stands there with her arm out forever without saying a single word. Weird. People don't interact like that.

If the next movie starts off from this scene and it turns out that they were actually talking when the camera pans out I would be satisfied.

Let's be real, Luke's just wondering (same as the rest of us) how the fuck she got that thing anyway.

We need more answers than she knows a CGI lady who knows a guy who knows a guy who works at Cloud City, damnit!

FloatOn

I always thought the light saber in space thing was dumb

however, the movie probably could have used that political exposition. I'd love to see a directors cut one day

Astral Dog

Most of the Republic is Corrupt as always , the world is fucked up, i would not be surprised if half of them have ties with the First Order

Guy.brush

Let's be real, Luke's just wondering (same as the rest of us) how the fuck she got that thing anyway.

We need more answers than she knows a CGI lady who knows a guy who knows a guy who works at Cloud City, damnit!

In a weird way I think it could have worked if Luke would have used the Force to guide that saber towards Jakku and into Rey's hands and if it would have pointed them into his direction so she could find him in the end. Maybe he could have been imprisoned or unable to help otherwise. Would have made a nice bracket to the movie. I wonder if they abandoned that due to the early leak.
cave_0001.jpg

At one point this was concept art for the moment Rey found Luke inside the cave. Would have been a lot more ominous and mysterious.

Knoxcore

All total speculation/wishful thinking from here on out...Maybe he takes out/converts Kylo in the last part of the trilogy and Rey takes down Supreme Leader Snoke or something. I'm assuming Kylo is the student that turned to the dark side that Luke felt so guilty about? I don't think it was ever stated plainly, but I mean.... If so it would be cool to see them battle and Luke manage to convert him to the light side or something. Bring that arc with Luke full circle. I dunno tho, as much as they talked about Kylo still having light in him, I feel like killing Han sort of finished that off.

I was initially thinking that there is some good left in Ren and maybe he is on the good side, but that bridge scene swayed me a bit. I thought Ren was asking Han to help him end being on the dark side, but now I have a whole new point-of-view. I think Ren was playing Han--when he says he knows what he as to do, but he can't do it--I think Ren means he needs to kill Han to complete his progression to the dark side. We know throughout the movie and even this scene that the light side is still in him and he's fighting it. Ren kills two major people from his past, people who knew him--Lor San Tekka and Han Solo. If you go back to the Tekka scene, Tekka says "you cannot deny the truth that is your family," and Ren says "you're so right," referencing the evil within Vader, not the heroism of his father. Killing his father may have just been the point of no return in his descent into the dark side, but I imagine he will still be enticed by the light. What I think may ultimately happen is Rey will be able to tap into both the light and dark side of the force, truly becoming one with the force and ultimately defeat Ren who is conflicted.

I also hope this talk of Rey being a Skywalker is not given any ground. Disney Princess shit all over again. But I wouldnt be surprised. The Skywalker blood heritage should end with Ben.

I agree, there is already a Skywalker at the center of the action. Kylo Ren, imo is a great vehicle to continue the Skywalker story. I know some people don't feel the same, but I love this character. If Rey is a Skywalker, I'll still be there day 1.

JaseMath

I would've liked to have seen more of Leia being a general since she seemed inconsequential to everything. Also disappointed they cut Kylo Ren's lightsaber shot from the teaser. That was becoming an iconic shot—I don't know how many times I've replayed the teaser for that shot alone. :(

The lightsaber tumbling through space would've been pretty stupid if you ask me. Glad that got cut.

Astral Dog

In a weird way I think it could have worked if Luke would have used the Force to guide that saber towards Jakku and into Rey's hands and if it would have pointed them into his direction so she could find him in the end. Maybe he could have been imprisoned or unable to help otherwise. Would have made a nice bracket to the movie. I wonder if they abandoned that due to the early leak.
cave_0001.jpg

At one point this was concept art for the moment Rey found Luke inside the cave. Would have been a lot more ominous and mysterious.

Scary, that would be a nice home for old Anakin

“I’m proud of what you’re about to do,” she told the girl. Rey replied in all seriousness. “But you’re also afraid. In sending me away, you’re—reminded.” Leia straightened. “You won’t share the fate of our son.” “I know what we’re doing is right. This is how it has to be. This is how it should be.” Leia smiled gently, reassuringly. “I know it, too. May the Force be with you.”

Told ya!

Jezbollah

I saw TFA for the second time today. It gave me a good chance to make note of the small details that second viewings always allow.

I think that moment where Han and Ben are on the bridge, holding the lightsaber between them when the sunlight runs out to show darkness is a fantastic moment.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Rey is the first truly iconic, strong woman in Star Wars. That's why she's resonated with the public so much and become arguably the most popular character.

Leia had the potential, but they ruined her in ROTJ with that embarrassing bikini slave get up, then having her wait like a damsel in distress in that teddy bear village.

Episode VII had a chance to redeem Leia, and make her tough again, but they only succeeded partially by making her a general which was OK I guess. Should she not have the same potential level of power as Luke since she's his TWIN? I wanted to see her cracking some skulls, not just "sense" that Han died. Watch her end up being Snoke lol.

Leia doesn't want to be a Jedi, she'd doesn't want to end up like her father. She's happy to just sense great disturbances in the Force, and leave it at that. Carrie Fisher doing any action scenes is out of the question.

Pagusas

Elden Member
“I’m proud of what you’re about to do,” she told the girl. Rey replied in all seriousness. “But you’re also afraid. In sending me away, you’re—reminded.” Leia straightened. “You won’t share the fate of our son.” “I know what we’re doing is right. This is how it has to be. This is how it should be.” Leia smiled gently, reassuringly. “I know it, too. May the Force be with you.”

Told ya!

Told us what?

Looper is not the only movie Rian Johnson's ever made. It's the least of his three, in fact. The least of his three is still very ambitious, interesting looking, and contains very good performances within it. Judging him solely off Looper (likely because it's the only one with Bruce Willis in it) isn't the greatest of calls, anymore than it would be to judge Abrams solely off Super 8.

Watch The Brothers Bloom. Especially if you're wondering how Johnson handles adventure/humor/emotion.

Honestly I think TBB is Rian's weakest film. It's not bad at all, but I vastly preferred Brick and Looper. Though, to be perfectly fair, I've only seen TBB once and have seen Brick and Looper each multiple times. Could be a grower, I suppose.

Honestly I like Looper a lot. It's a Philip K Dick world brought to life without actually being based on a PKD novel. It feels more PKD to me than Blade Runner does.

Boke1879

Leia doesn't want to be a Jedi, she'd doesn't want to end up like her father. She's happy to just sense great disturbances in the Force, and leave it at that. Carrie Fisher doing any action scenes is out of the question.

Not only that but Leia was always more on the political side. She even mentions this in the movie. She doesn't want to be a Jedi and she's the General of the Resistance. Nothing wrong with that.

That last look almost has a hint of anger in it, too, at least imo. Anger, guilt, sadness

Maybe I'm just trying to satiate my thirst for knowing Rey's origin, but I really do feel like that is the look you'd give your daughter in a situation you would hope never happened (she found his saber, and shit is obviously hitting the fan, and she is going to be involved with it like he was), especially after it seems he had to abandon her to keep her safe from the FO tracking him down.

Guy.brush

There was supposedly a scene where she is seen going with everyone to the Resistance base but she was cut because she had nothing to do there.

She almost had nothing to do before that too. The whole Maz castle section felt weird.
With Finn changing motivation, disappearing for a couple of minutes then being back more eager than ever.
That location without any prior history felt like it "didn't deserve" Luke's saber and the vision that Rey got. Could have been really cool if that ESB cave style vision would have been triggered when Rey was alone inside a dark abandoned Star destroyer wreck where Vader was once present or something.
Also how Leia and troops arrived like 5 minutes after the spy phoned in made the universe seem small when Han went to Maz to find the Resistance in the first place.

Guy.brush

Where are the theories that Rey is a time traveler or something "other" originating from?

There is a theory for that?! If it is one thing Star Wars was in need of it is time travel shenanigans like in StarTrek. Hell throw in Rey as a clone and we are talking. /s

Oh, gotcha. You've seen the movie more than I have so I'm sure you know what's up.
And I'm probably just being picky, but it really felt odd she'd tell him what he just told her....

Another moment I felt the dialogue was awful was the opening scene between Kylo and Tekka. It didn't feel like two people talking. Everything Kylo said was spot on. Tekka felt like the writers feeding him lines for the sake of intrigue:

Kylo Ren: Look how old you've become.
Lor San Tekka: Something far worse has happened to you.
Good so far.

Kylo Ren: You know what I've come for.
Lor San Tekka: I know where you come from, before you called yourself "Kylo Ren".
That's a bit forceful....just trying to set up this intrigue and make us go "Ooooh. Who is he?" But not transition well. Not god awful.

Kylo Ren: The map to Skywalker. We know you found it. And now you're going to give it to the First Order.
Lor San Tekka: The First Order rose from the Dark Side. You did not.
OK. What?! What the shit are you talking about, Tekka? That has NOTHING to do with what he said. This isn't a word association game.

Kylo Ren: I'll show you the Dark Side.
Lor San Tekka: You may try. But you cannot hide the truth that is your family.
Did he say he was hiding it? Who brought up his family? WHY ARE YOU JUST SPITTING OUT LINES FOR EXPOSITION? Just plain awful.

Kylo Ren: You're so right.
Thank God. Shut this terrible Tekka up.

Top Bottom