• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

I love this meme.

owAWHNI.jpg

It's only a meme because Traitor Trooper is just THAT AWESOME.

Tubie

Does anyone else think Luke knew everything that was happening prior to Rey finding him?

I think his face at the end showed all the suffering from having "sensed" Han's death and Kylo further throwing himself deeper into the dark side. You can also see apprehension on whether he should even train this new Jedi.

Does anyone else think Luke knew everything that was happening prior to Rey finding him?

I think his face at the end showed all the suffering from having "sensed" Han's death and Kylo further throwing himself deeper into the dark side. You can also see apprehension on whether he should even train this new Jedi.

I'm sure he felt the destruction of the Hosnian System and Han dying. Also whatever the Awakening was that Snoke talked about.

Anno

Just saw my third showing. William's score is definitely beginning to grow on me. It's not the best by any means, but now that I can associate songs and themes with characters it's so much better. And every time I see Rey pull the lightsaber I'm an inch away from jumping up and cheering. It's such a hype moment.

ok

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How about this?

The reason why it's different though is because we never saw a Force user train in the Dark side of the Force.

In the beginning, they wanted to show you a glimpse of what that looks like, as well as setup and explain the difference between Kylo when killing the Old man versus killing his father and his mindset and aftermath of both those actions.

The beginning is Kylo at his most confident and powerful.

Like I've said multiple times, Kylo killed someone that was close to him and his family (listen to the whole dialogue of their conversation on your next viewing), someone that knew Ben before he called himself Kylo Ren. Killing off someone who was "like family" allowed him to not only kill off a piece of his former self so he could fall deeper into the dark side, but it gave him the power that comes with that, which allowed him to stop the blast that Poe fired in retaliation. We assumed he was a Sith Lord at that point, but we later learn he is still transitioning from Light to Dark.

Throughout the movie, after failing to capture the droid and hearing his Father is now involved, he slowly starts losing confidence in his path and is afraid of the choice he will eventually have to make when he comes face to face with his father.

Fast forward to Han's death and the same scenario from the beginning is shown, with Kylo killing someone from his past, but this time it's his own father, Someone he loved dearly. He was hoping he would become even stronger, by rejecting his former self, but that wasn't the case. He wasn't able to fully let go of his past and become stronger sharper, faster like he had in the beginning. He became weighed down by the realization and possible guilt of that moment which allowed for Chewie's blaster to hit him.

That power boost showed us the seductive and easier to gain power of the Dark Side. Yoda tells Luke in ESB that the Dark Side's power is easier to gain versus trying to control the Force. We see how difficult it is for a semi trained Luke and other Jedi's in the saga to control objects while it's easier for Darth Vader to force push multiple objects at Luke in Bespin. Kylo not receiving the same power boost in the beginning confirms the obvious, that Han's death did effect him and that it wasn't simply them forcing Kylo to be (what some considered to be "deus ex machine weak") so that Ren could defeat him.

Obviously the wound helped, but it was more of a trial for Kylo's journey and was setup the moment he was introduced on screen, not something they added at the last minute without any thought put into it.

RoKKeR

Quick question: Why does 3P0 have his gold arm back at the end of the film? Noticed it on my third showing ha and don't understand why. What's the running thought in it?

Tubie

Quick question: Why does 3P0 have his gold arm back at the end of the film? Noticed it on my third showing ha and don't understand why. What's the running thought in it?

Yea I noticed that today.

I bet they only explain it in some 3P0 related book.

RoKKeR

Yea I noticed that today.

I bet they only explain it in some 3P0 related book.
Yeah I'm thinking it was glossed over completely, I can't think of where it would have been mentioned/hinted at.

Has any movie ever gotten 3 OTs here on GAF? I may be wrong, but I don't believe so. Crazy amount of replies these threads got.
Not to mention the amount of additional threads made about the movie. It's insane.

Also, at the theater to see The Big Short and it is completely packed. $5 night apparently and Star Wars continues to roll.

NimbusD

Because it's energy and I'd like to think that even the most powerful (non-broken) Force users would have to obey the laws of the universe. You can't just stop energy. Light sabers and blasters get a pass since they are supposed to be analogs for swords and guns, and that just wouldn't work if they were actual lasers. But maybe that's just me not wanting to think "why didn't every Sith/Jedi "Magneto" every blaster bolt in every Star Wars movie ever if they could just stop the shit with no effort?"

The stupidity of the Jedi in this gif suddenly skyrockets
tumblr_inline_mnsonnkAXh1qz4rgp.gif

I don't think the idea that I accept some outrageous things by real world standards must mean that logically I must accept something else outrageous. I'm sure if in a future movie they decide to show a lightsaber "shooting" it's blade like a blaster, I'd have a problem with that depiction as well and there would probably be people defending it like, "if you accepted that there were things like lightsabers in the first place, you can't complain."

I think the problem is when things break the established laws of the universe. Not that anyone ever said you CANT stop a laser blast, but the physics that's been used with the force have established that it's probably not a thing that people can do. Also the idea that the blast keeps moving in the same direction implies it's more of a time-stop thing than a physical hold, unless kylo's throwing it when he's done with it.

Honestly there's a lot of that regarding the force in this movie. Forcing Jedi mind tricks on strong minded people (in the clone wars cartoon they established this is a surefire way to vegetable someone). Literally everything about the starkiller base (which is the biggest one IMO...) a planet that can not only eat a sun, but AIM 5 different beams made from it, no one care's about radiation and also the planet doesnt get hot when it has a whole sun's power inside of it. There's just so many things there to logically jump to to believe, vs just believing that a laser can be shaped like a sword and be a solid... anyway I digress...

In the end, it works because it's fun. The prequels also had tons of this kind of stuff, but eventually it's just folded into the mythos of star wars. You just have to wonder how many times this can happen before it's completely and utterly nonsensical. Especially now that there's a new person at the helm for each movie and there doesn't seem to be anyone in charge of making sure this stuff doesn't happen.

Has any movie ever gotten 3 OTs here on GAF? I may be wrong, but I don't believe so. Crazy amount of replies these threads got.

It's really great coming back to these threads and seeing like 10 different conversations about any imaginable topic. There's a lot of enthusiasm for Star Wars that was really lurking in the cultural subconscious but after the prequels a lot of people were bummed out and didn't really talk about it as much. Now the fans have something to genuinely be excited about for the first time in decades and it's wonderful to see everyone so happy having these threads in different forums I visit.

Just saw my third showing. William's score is definitely beginning to grow on me. It's not the best by any means, but now that I can associate songs and themes with characters it's so much better. And every time I see Rey pull the lightsaber I'm an inch away from jumping up and cheering. It's such a hype moment.

Rey's theme is a masterpiece.. I love it

The rest is great just not god tier

greepoman

I think the problem is when things break the established laws of the universe. Not that anyone ever said you CANT stop a laser blast, but the physics that's been used with the force have established that it's probably not a thing that people can do.
rMs9LE.gif

Vader isn't a person?

I agree you can't take stuff too seriously though.

The first time I listened to March of the Resistance I thought it sounded too complicated to be memorable. It seemed sloppy and noisy, not catchy.

The more I listen to it the more I fall in love with it. I think its definitely my take away hit from this movie. On my second viewing I got super hyped every time it played.

Jedi Steps is also amazing though. I find it hard to pick one over the other as a favorite, but that song almost seems more like it belongs to episode 8 imo. Like its more of a promise of whats to come then something really symbolic and significant of the movie we've got right now.

TeRey09

Do you guys think Finn fighting with the lightsaber most of the movie will ultimately mean nothing? With Rey being revealed as Force-Sensitive and beating Ben (Your name is Ben asshole) in the end, Finn using it probably was a red herring and that makes me sad.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Agreed. I thought Ren should have put the Mask back on for that fight at the end.

It almost seemed to me that whenever he had his mask off, he was conflicted, weakened, and his true self was peeping through. When Kylo kills Han with his mask off, he's doing it because he wants to be who he thinks he is (even though he's not). Likewise, during that fight, Ren wants to be imposing during that entire fight with both Rey and Finn, but even as he toys with Finn, he still gets hurt by a lucky swing by Finn. Kylo's damaged at that point, and he's not fighting as Kylo Ren but as a very wounded (physically and emotionally) Ben Solo.

latest

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure I really am in agreement with your interpretation of the film events but if that is what makes it all make sense for you, that's cool.

Not stating all of it is fact mind you, but there was a definite purpose behind showing Kylo killing the old man (who knew him) and stopping a laser blast afterword versus killing his father and getting hit with Chewie's crossbow.

Have we seen any other Force (dark or light) user freeze and entire person into place?
If Yoda can absorb and redirect energy, why can't Kylo, at the very least hold energy temporarily in its place?

The Force itself is "energy" that flows thru everything so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to hold energy in place, regardless if it's a person or a blaster. He's only holding it in place, not actually moving it around as if its a rock floating thru the air. The farther he descends into the dark side the more power he would gain. And him gaining power quickly through the dark side remains consistent with what Yoda told Luke about the DS being easier in ESB.

If someone thru a rock at him he would be able to stop it. If you were Luke and believed you couldn't stop a blaster and then Yoda stops a blaster he would say, "..and that is why you had failed."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big One

Banned
You know after some thinking about it, I'm REALLY subscribing to the theory that Rey is a reincarnation or incarnation of Anakin Skywalker. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

Just watch the flashback sequence. All of those are memories. On Cloud City, hearing Obi-wan and Yoda. Those are the memories of Anakin Skywalker tapping in. Then it shifts to the destruction of the Jedi by the Knights of Ren, which is probably Rey's memories. Then we see a glimpse of Rey's encounter with Kylo Ren.

it's the Past, Present, and Future. It represents where that lightsaber has been and the history behind the person who used it. Luke never had a spiritual experience with it like Rey did, which suggests to me Rey has a direct connection to Anakin's saber unlike Luke ever did.

Her "awakening" could not only represent her awakening as a Force user, but awakening as an incarnation of Anakin Skywalker. She pretty much becomes a near master Jedi in the movie for this very reason, cause she's tapping into latent memories she inherited from a previous life.

Top Bottom