• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

She cries at several points in the film!

- When Maz talks to her about her family.
- When she sees Han dying.
- While she's hovering over Finn's body.

And, um, all the times she look frightened, nervous, unsure of herself...

how about impatience then. Early Luke, Anakin, Kylo, Leia all are pretty impatient compared to Rey. Just trying to find the right word for you :p

3HalOJW.jpg

What's going on with Jakku's sun?

Also, that was such a great yet totally RANDOM shot.

Squire

Banned
Well who then. I thought Finn was great as well. But I just don't think anyone quite came as close to him. He bore a lot of weight of his past character, and the emotions of events that happened over the time lapse.

If I had to rank.

Harrison > Boyega > Ridley

Yeah, I'd put Ford at the end, myself.

Kemal86

My only question would be, is Hux actually trying to embarrass Ren or is it just that every time he has a conference call with the Emperor Kylo's straight fucked things up again and he's left thinking, "How much longer are you going to make me put up with this asshat and his temper tantrums? I'm running out of rooms full of space monitors for him to fuck up."

This is totally my personal take on it...but I feel like Hux is indeed trying to shit on Ren. Whenever Ren and Hux are on screen outside of the Snoke scenes, Ren is a dick to Hux. So it's not even that Hux necessarily wants to be the favorite of Snoke, he just gets off on knocking Ren down in front of his adoptive daddy.

I really would have wanted to see the Kylo talking to the Anakin/Vader ghost. I hope it gets used for Episode VIII.

It wouldn't have worked given where they seem to be going with Kylo because Vader would have told him to stop all this dark side nonsense long ago. He's clearly following whatever image of Vader Snoke has given him.

In terms of acting I'd go with Boyega > Driver > Isaacs = Ridley > Ford
This was the most expressive I've seen Ford in anything in the last decade and one of the few times he didn't seem to be annoyed being there. I liked Isaacs character, but we didn't really get to know much of him. The same with Ridley

Well
Let just say this:

JEDI RANK
-jedi school (those poor childrens at the end of Ep3 ;____; )
-padawan ( Obiwan in 1, Anakin in ep2, Luke in ep 4-5)
-Jedi Knight ( Obi-wan in 2-3 Anakin in ep 3, Luke in 6)
-Jedi Master (Yoda, Obi wan in 4, Luke in 7)

SITH RANK
-sith formation (wtf)
-Knight of Ren (Kylo)
-Knight Sith (Vador, Maul, Grievous)
-Sith Master (Palpatine, Snoke, Dooku?)

Mistle

3HalOJW.jpg

I assumed it was being eclipsed by two moons. Whether that's actually the case, no idea.

edit: actually the moons would have to be huge/extremely close, lol. just noticed the mountains at the bottom giving perspective

She cries at several points in the film!

- When Maz talks to her about her family.
- When she sees Han dying.
- While she's hovering over Finn's body.

And, um, all the times she look frightened, nervous, unsure of herself...

-When she sees the scary man in her visions looking into the depths of her mind.

bengraven

To answer the guy who just got his thread locked:

Because it's better to have a random guy call him traitor - it lets you know the troopers are aware he has abandoned them and they know of him and they hate him now.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
RE: mind rading. Vader reads Luke's mind at the end of Jedi, about Leia. I don't think he does in ANH because Lucas hadn't added that to Vader's abilities at that point. (Sort of how we're seeing Kylo do new things now as the writers think of them.)

And the thing is that Kylo at first uses a torture device to try to get information out of Poe before Kylo resorts to pulling the info from his mind. I like that because it keeps Vader's use of it initially in ANH consistent with him later reading Luke's mind.

I really would have wanted to see the Kylo talking to the Anakin/Vader ghost. I hope it gets used for Episode VIII.

Anakin/Vader ghost is the worst idea ever. Why does he still have a Vader part? What's more, if Force ghosts take on the look they had when they were in their prime, the Vader part should look like this instead of the old robot costume:

96TqwKgh.jpg

Kemal86

3HalOJW.jpg

That's not Jakku, it's the planet Maz has her little cantina on. Takonada? Can't remember the name. I always thought it was weird when the trailer mash up videos put that shot in with the Jakku scenes, the color temp is totally wrong (Though it doesn't fit in perfectly where it is, either).

bachikarn

Wonder if this got nixed because it was inconsistent with the established canon. Dark side users can't be force ghosts I believe. Also bet they don't want to make it seem like Anakin isn't full in light now.

His ghost being both good and bad would be consistent with Ren and Snokes belief that Vader just had a momentary lapse in judgement when he went back to the light (at least that's what the novelization said).

This. I actually well up thinking about it and how amazing the audience reaction was to it at my midnight screening. The "Rey is a MarySue" haters can truly fuck the fuck off with their prequel defending bullshit! :p

Wait I haven't been following that discussion (because it's mind-numbingly dumb), when did Rey being a Mary Sue become about defending the prequels?

And the thing is that Kylo at first uses a torture device to try to get information out of Poe before Kylo resorts to pulling the info from his mind. I like that because it keeps Vader's use of it initially in ANH consistent with him later reading Luke's mind.

Except he inconsistently doesn't use the device at all with Rey, although I suspect a bloodied young women wouldn't have gone over well

Well
Let just say this:

JEDI RANK

SITH RANK
-sith formation (wtf)
-Knight of Ren (Kylo)

Obi-Wan was a master by 3. He had to be in order to be on the council, if I recall correctly.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Wonder if this got nixed because it was inconsistent with the established canon. Dark side users can't be force ghosts I believe. Also bet they don't want to make it seem like Anakin isn't full in light now.

His ghost being both good and bad would be consistent with Ren and Snokes belief that Vader just had a momentary lapse in judgement when he went back to the light (at least that's what the novelization said).

I'd just assume that Lucasfilm would retcon RotJ if they used the idea.

Astral Dog

Well
Let just say this:

JEDI RANK

SITH RANK
-sith formation (wtf)
-Knight of Ren (Kylo)

There is no way Vader is below Dooku, if both are considered Apprentices then only Sidious, Plagueis and maybe Snoke would be at the top

11/12 days and already in OT 3, how many pages of repetition will we reach this time?!

Nice OT, shame most probably won't read the initial post and go to the links.

DedValve

Banned
Anakin/Vader ghost is the worst idea ever. Why does he still have a Vader part? What's more, if Force ghosts take on the look they had when they were in their prime, the Vader part should look like this instead of the old robot costume:

96TqwKgh.jpg

I think Vader was stronger post mask. This is years of refinement of the dark side rather than just learning to embrace it. I do think his potential might have been stunted after the mask but he was still the strongest incarnation of Anakin at that point just not the strongest possible incarnation of Anakin. If that makes any sense.

DavidDesu

Wait I haven't been following that discussion (because it's mind-numbingly dumb), when did Rey being a Mary Sue become about defending the prequels?

Because everywhere I see people mention it they usually can't help themselves from slipping in a comment about how the prequels weren't all that bad (they were fucking awful. AWFUL). Seems most of them pissed off about a powerful female Jedi just happen to be generally pissed off about the fact that the prequels were shit but they have to keep the facade going that somehow they weren't. Just my take from seeing discussions on a few different Star Wars website and around the internet/Twitter.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There is no way Vader is below Dooku, if both are considered Apprentices then only Sidious, Plagueis and maybe Snoke would be at the top
Darth Vader unburned and out of the suit is above dooku. Dooku was a sith lord as well who had a couple apprentices.

I think Vader was stronger post mask. This is years of refinement of the dark side rather than just learning to embrace it. I do think his potential might have been stunted after the mask but he was still the strongest incarnation of Anakin at that point just not the strongest possible incarnation of Anakin. If that makes any sense.
He couldn't even use force lightning cause of the robot arms. ;-;

Well
I'm still thinking that Kylo will destroy everything. And i mean the first order too.
He will be a nihilist that don't believe in anyone and not Snoke at all. He will not have any apprentice, he will want to destroy EVERYTHING like a Black Hole.
I'm kinda thinking that Snoke create a monster that will eat him someday.

Well
Let just say this:

JEDI RANK

SITH RANK
-sith formation (wtf)
-Knight of Ren (Kylo)

Are you trying to list actual ranks or is this supposed to be some kind of Tier listing? Either way I think you've got the "Sith Rank" wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, Vader held back at the start of the final fight in RotJ, but Luke surprised him and even surpassed him. The Emperor knew it, too.

Well
Let just say this:

JEDI RANK

SITH RANK
-sith formation (wtf)
-Knight of Ren (Kylo)

The Sith don't have ranks like the Jedi did. There were ever only two of them. Vader was Sidious' apprentice, but he was still a Sith Lord.

Also, as far as we know, the Knights of Ren aren't Sith. Neither is Snoke. They're something new. Something different.

Top Bottom