• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I see statements like this and I wonder to myself -- and now to you guys and girls -- how do you even their names? Or that Hitler guy for the First Order, were their names even mentioned in the movie?

This... this is how Boba Fett got popular isn't it? Some throwaway lackey in the movie that somehow got over anyway for reasons I just can't fathom.

Most Star Wars characters aren't named on screen and we know their names from supplemental material.

Or in the case of TFA, pre-release news.

So more bullshit exposition and needless foreshadowing to something two scenes away?

Bullshit exposition? No. Smart exposition? Yes. Needless foreshadowing? I don't think it would've been needless. Clearly, some people need it. Without it, it feels like comes out of nowhere.

I see statements like this and I wonder to myself -- and now to you guys and girls -- how do you even their names? Or that Hitler guy for the First Order, were their names even mentioned in the movie?

This... this is how Boba Fett got popular isn't it? Some throwaway lackey in the movie that somehow got over anyway for reasons I just can't fathom.
If you followed the film closely before it was released, they announced the character names and spoke about each one quite a bit. That and the merchandise.

So would people actually prefer Rey not use the force to espace the room? How exactly would she do that without being extremely coincidently or fortunate?

Her using the force to espace the room makes the most sense. And if not a jedi mind trick, what else should she have done with the force?

At that point in the movie? No "Force" necessary, just force. The alternate way to do it is just have her do what captive people have traditionally done in fiction: fight and escape during being moved. That stormtrooper standing guard could have easily been directed to move her to a different location.

Absent that? Maybe at least have her be very visibly surprised at the technique working. (I can't wait for the Blu-Ray release so I'll be able to watch the film again to see what her reaction actually was.)

zsynqx

I guess where we differ then is if Luke had been put in this same position, I wouldn't have any problem with him figuring it out either. Both of them are young Force prodigies.

I mean, all of Luke's training with Obi-Wan prior to Hoth is: "Stretch out with your feelings, trust your instincts, use the Force, let go, Luke!"

That's it. All of it boils down to, "Just do what's natural and the magic will work."

I didn't see Rey's use of the trick as a matter of potency--although she's obviously very strong in the Force to be able to rebuff Kylo Ren--so much as it was her just being very clever. It's funny, where other people thought, "No way she should be able to do that!"

I thought, "Wow, that was good! This kid's a natural!"

The prequels made people think that Jedis had to be trained from when they were babies at a school doing dumb stuff like this. Glad they just ignored that bullshit.

Training.jpg

Absent that? Maybe at least have her be very visibly surprised at the technique working. (I can't wait for the Blu-Ray release so I'll be able to watch the film again to see what her reaction actually was.)

When Finn asks her how she escapes she gives a response that should satisfy you.

Bullshit exposition? No. Smart exposition? Yes. Needless foreshadowing? I don't think it would've been needless. Clearly, some people need it. Without it, it feels like comes out of nowhere.

I think the bigger problem here is that people are trying to apply rational explanations to a story where a major virtue - indeed, the only virtue that matters, if you pay close attention to literally anything Yoda or Obi-Wan say in the OT and Maz's central piece of advice to Rey about using the Force - is faith.

Regiruler

I'm still going with Rey being a Palpatine. She uses his fighting stance like 6 damn times in the fight with Kylo. The other choices are a bit too on the nose for me.
Speaking of Rey's fighting style, her double sided stave makes me think that she'll eventually go double sided like Maul to make use of her experience wielding it.

antonz

The prequels made people think that Jedis had to be trained from when they were babies at a school doing dumb stuff like this. Glad they just ignored that bullshit.

Training.jpg

Its established pretty clearly that the Skywalker clan is extra special. The Average force user does go to school to master their talents. I mean Luke even establishes a jedi academy to train students.

Casual acquaintance neighbors asked me if I'd seen Star Wars today and we chatted about it in the elevator. This movie's ubiquity has transcended to "how's the weather" small talk level.

Ishida

Banned

Training.jpg

That's canon. The prequels "made people believe" because those are canon events. You can try to ignore them if you want, but headcanon is completely meaningless.

zsynqx

Its established pretty clearly that the Skywalker clan is exceptionally special. The Average force user does go to school to master their talents. I mean Luke even establishes a jedi academy to train students.

True, but what Luke's training basically boils down to in the originals is learning to control his feelings and confronting Vader.

Aegus

Training.jpg

That's an accident waiting to happen. Kid on the right has his sabre pointing right at his/her face nearly. And the kid behind is going to decapitate him/her at that distance too.

That's canon. The prequels "made people believe" because those are canon events. You can try to ignore them if you want, but headcanon is completely meaningless.

The prequels actually never affirmatively establish that Jedi training is at all necessary to master the Force, just that it was the accepted practice for Jedi.

Indeed, throughout the entire series the biggest breakthroughs have always come from people who straight-up ignore the orthodoxy and do their own thing: see Qui-Gon stumbling on the secret of immortality, Luke giving up the idea of defeating Vader to redeem him instead, Rey using quiet meditation to overcome someone who literally just told her she needed training, etc.

Ishida

Banned
The prequels actually never affirmatively establish that Jedi training is at all necessary to master the Force, just that it was the accepted practice for Jedi.

Indeed, throughout the entire series the biggest breakthroughs have always come from people who straight-up ignore the orthodoxy and do their own thing: see Qui-Gon stumbling on the secret of immortality, Luke giving up the idea of defeating Vader to redeem him instead, etc.

Well, I never said they did. Just the standard Jedi procedure includes training the Padawans since 4-5 years old.

Regiruler

Training.jpg

It's a stupid scene, but to play devil's advocate maybe the sabers were modified so that they had no cutting power, only beam deflection (for parry practice).

GhaleonEB

And before that, we had seen him receiving early training from Obi-Wan, and we know that time had lapsed between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back in order for him to learn more about his own ability to harness the Force.

Again, I walk it back to say that I have no problem with Rey, lest I be lumped in with the lunatics. Her progression -- absent a later reveal -- is just a bit too fast for me and I reject that it's the same as Luke's. It isn't, not in my mind. That's my only point.

But maybe her midichlorian count is off even the new charts they had to create after Anakin's were off the charts they had before that.

We definitely see her do more in TFA, and it does feel accelerated relative to ANH. I thought it was jarring until I compared just how fast Luke learns; he's basically told how to do two things in ANH, and he learns both instantly. (Lightsaber blocking while blinded, the "use the Force" shot at the end). So I don't think it's so much that Rey learns faster; she learned individual things just as fast as Luke did. Rather she had opportunity to learn more things courtesy of Kylo Ren, than Luke had opportunity to in ANH. In terms of total displays of power, she definitely out ahead, but the speed with which she picked up on them were about the same.

Ophelion

Indeed, throughout the entire series the biggest breakthroughs have always come from people who straight-up ignore the orthodoxy and do their own thing: see Qui-Gon stumbling on the secret of immortality, Luke giving up the idea of defeating Vader to redeem him instead, etc.

And I always assumed that the "too old" thing didn't have to do with the time needed to train so much as exposing older students to the mysteries of the force, due to the baggage they bring with them, puts them at much greater risk for falling to the Dark Side.

Its established pretty clearly that the Skywalker clan is extra special. The Average force user does go to school to master their talents. I mean Luke even establishes a jedi academy to train students.

Yet Obi-Wan would be considered the most successful Jedi after Yoda. Skywalkers can't get right.

Well, I never said they did. Just the standard Jedi procedure includes training the Padawans since 4-5 years old.

All the person you were responding to was saying is that s/he is glad this film took a different route than the prequels as far as what it presumably takes for Jedi to get cozy with the Force.

Ishida

Banned
All the person you were responding to was saying is that s/he is glad this film took a different route than the prequels as far as what it presumably takes for Jedi to get cozy with the Force.

Do we actually know how old were Luke's apprentices in the new Jedi academy?

Boke1879

Even Yoda tries to use that excuse to Luke in Empire that he's too old.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd say the Force is theoretically accessible to anyone. The Jedi are just a cult with a set of practices that standardizes training in the Force.

It's like yoga... you could learn it in a religion, you could learn it in a club, or you could learn it on your own if you were so inclined.

Vagabundo

I'm just gonna take a break from this thread because its just a never ending stream of garbage it seems.

If the thread is upsetting you it is probably best to hit the close button. There just opinions and discussions. I have no agenda. I like Rey's character and the actress played her well. She was just a little unsatisfactory. Some of my favourite characters are power fantasy type action heroes.

But there are bigger problems in this film than her character.

She goes from a scared kid who doesn't want to leave her planet, to someone who is scared, AND frantically trying to escape her new captors, to someone who is literally faced with a monster (Ren) and looks scared shitless again (and is then tossed into a tree). Then finally after finding her center, manages to take Ren down after he'd been shot, killed his dad, fought someone else, and she STILL has to harness the dark side to fight him back.

That's all characterisations and some internal conflict. She's not really that scared that she has to overcome it. She essentially the same character at the end of the film as the start.

Please, PLEASE show me Luke and Anakins flaws in A New Hope and The Phantom Menace.

Really? Luke has deep insecurities about himself and this stops him learning to trust in himself (the Force). He doesn't overcome it until he turns off the targeting computer at the end of film and it continues on into ESB then he is training with Yoda.

Anakin doesn't get a character arc until the second movie in the prequels when he starts getting corrupted. He's only a side character in The Phantom Menace.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It also leads to a bunch of suggestions that work well out of context, but don't work well with what the film is actually doing.

Like how Max Landis' suggestion for how the duel with Kylo Ren should go sounds cool. Until you put it in the framing of the movie and it makes no sense.

Nah, I think that would have fit just fine. After hearing more people's opinions about this movie, I'm beginning to feel that it should have been more overtly shown that Kylo Ren was fucking with Finn and Rey.

I think this also ties into the film needing to be more explicit and clear about, (for the lack of a better term) "power levels". It shows Kylo Ren being a total monstrous badass in the opening shot. And while over the course of the movie, the movie drops hints that Kylo isn't actually as "with it" as initially thought, it was still jarring to a lot of people that he "somehow" gets owned by 2 noobs in the end fight. Sure, you can always say that these people weren't paying attention, but when there are that many audience members who didn't understand, I mean, that's saying something about how accessible the writing was at conveying the proper information to the general audience.

Brakke

Banned
I'd say the Force is theoretically accessible to anyone. The Jedi are just a cult with a set of practices that standardizes training in the Force.

It's like yoga... you could learn it in a religion, you could learn it in a club, or you could learn it on your own if you were so inclined.

It's not. Midiclorians breh.

Guy.brush

Did anyone else hate Finn's use of the word 'Boyfriend' in the Star Wars universe? Do people in that world have boyfriends and girlfriends? The word itself sounds so unlike Star Wars.

If you want to nitpick, do it with the "minutes" line. People in a distant galaxy shouldn't really talk about time in Earth terms. Minute comes from hour and hour comes from the angular measure of the 24 hour sun cycle we have on Earth.

That's an accident waiting to happen. Kid on the right has his sabre pointing right at his/her face nearly. And the kid behind is going to decapitate him/her at that distance too.
They are training sabers, but I guess since that isn't directly stated in the movie people won't accept it and prefer the narrative that the Jedi are putting ultimate cutting weapon in trainee children's hands.

Part of my head canon regarding that nonsense was that the training was Force and culture related. E.g. the Jedi in the prequels were peace keepers of an entire galaxy and there were only like 10k of them.

If you come from a backwater planet like Tatooine and become a Jedi at like 18, you aint going to know shit about negotiating treaties, battle tactics, Jedi history/procedure etc.

So yeah, they would wade you into training with the force, but you would also spend a ton of time learning about culture, politics and science.

If you want to nitpick, do it with the "minutes" line. People in a distant galaxy shouldn't really talk about time in Earth terms. Minute comes from hour and hour comes from the angular measure of the 24 hour sun cycle we have on Earth.

Is the earth even in the same universe as star wars? if not there should be no people either!

zsynqx

Part of my head canon regarding that nonsense was that the training was Force and culture related. E.g. the Jedi in the prequels were peace keepers of an entire galaxy and there were only like 10k of them.

If you come from a backwater planet like Tatooine and become a Jedi at like 18, you aint going to know shit about negotiating treaties, battle tactics, Jedi history/procedure etc.

So yeah, they would wade you into training with the force, but you would also spend a ton of time learning about culture, politics and science.

I like this explanation.

Ophelion

That's pretty good. I'm gunna steal that for my own head canon.

Megasoum

Banned
So did they actually officially retconned the Mediclorian bullshit or they just decided to ignore it and act like it never happened?

Top Bottom