• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Alucard

Banned
So I just read the Jar Jar is a Sith and the master of all theory...bollocks to the max, but fun to see where fans will try to take things.

Alucard

Banned
From the rumors, Rey is Anakin, Shmi, Snoke, a Midichlorian, and some made up new character "Mary Sue"?

And Jar Jar. She must be Jar Jar. Which means she's evil and will end up going to the dark side.

Also, the person who mentioned the changes of light colors on Ren's face during Han's death scene were trying really hard to see what they want to see. His face is colored red the whole time. There is no blue/light.

Ghazi

And Jar Jar. She must be Jar Jar. Which means she's evil and will end up going to the dark side.

Also, the person who mentioned the changes of light colors on Ren's face during Han's death scene were trying really hard to see what they want to see. His face is colored red the whole time. There is no blue/light.
I don't know about all that color stuff, but the light from the sun shining through the doorway behind Rey and Finn went away right before Ben killed Han, leaving the room much darker.

Yes there is.

Over one shoulder there is a blue emergency light. Over the other there is a red emergency light. His face is lit by the sunlight from the open door above. Over the course of the scene, as the sun becomes less powerful and the lighting changes, not only does the white light change to red, but the blue emergency light in the background fades.

When the sunlight is gone altogether, the blue emergency light is gone and there is only a red one.

Alucard

Banned
I don't know about all that color stuff, but the light from the sun shining through the doorway behind Rey and Finn went away right before Ben killed Han, leaving the room much darker.

Yeah, I see the change here. The sun stuff is easy to see.

Yes there is.

Over one shoulder there is a blue emergency light. Over the other there is a red emergency light. His face is lit by the sunlight from the open door above. Over the course of the scene, as the sun becomes less powerful and the lighting changes, not only does the white light change to red, but the blue emergency light in the background fades.

When the sunlight is gone altogether, the blue emergency light is gone and there is only a red one.

I didn't see this blue light on his face at all. Just red red red and then darkness when the sun goes down. Maybe I need to watch again, but someone said the blue was on his face.

The Chef

I just dont even...
Its 100% unquestioningly there. Close to that scene Poe even says "As long as there is light, we have a chance!"

Start of the conversation:
znQ8OD0.png

Nearing the point of "Im being torn apart"
UZpMVKA.png

Just before killing Han Solo. The light from the star dims to near black:
Lwp4DP6.png

After killing Solo:
bvWpvad.png

Not only in that scene - its a recurring theme in the ENTIRE movie.

My god the amount of hand holding required here to make these connections is baffling.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just dont even...
Its 100% unquestioningly there. Close to that scene Poe even says "As long as there is light, we have a chance!"

znQ8OD0.png

UZpMVKA.png

After killing Solo:
bvWpvad.png

My god the amount of hand holding required here to make these connections is baffling.

Seriously what the hell people, this is like the most visually in your face scene in the whole film, and people are trying to dispute it? lol. this is why Directors have to beat people over the head with things and cant be subtle too often.

I just dont even...

He's talking specifically about the absence of a blue colored light in the room where Kylo killed Han, not the fading of the natural light as the Starkiller drains the Sun. The fact that natural light left the room and Kylo only killed Han after it had completely vanished is not being disputed. Just whether or not there was also a blue emergency light IN the room that also stopped glowing.

My thing is, it doesn't really matter. The actual light/dark symbolism, just like when Luke's face is half-concealed, half-illuminated as he hides while Vader taunts him at the end of Jedi, just like when Anakin stands in the shade while he talks to Obi-Wan for the last time as a friend in Sith, is much more visually significant than the blue and red proxies for light and dark.

ArchAngel

Boy, the scene with the X-Wings flying low over the lake (at first in the background of the battle) and the music... hnng! Loving this so much! It's a shame the cinema had so low volume, can't wait for the bluray!

Screen_Shot_2015-10-19_at_10.26.55_PM.0.png

The Chef

He's talking specifically about the absence of a blue colored light in the room where Kylo killed Han, not the fading of the natural light as the Starkiller drains the Sun. The fact that natural light left the room and Kylo only killed Han after it had completely vanished is not being disputed. Just whether or not there was also a blue emergency light IN the room that also stopped glowing.

Its there. You can see it in my post.
And thats just from some crappy cel phone pic or something. I was very prominent in the film.

My thing is, it doesn't really matter. The actual light/dark symbolism, just like when Luke's face is half-concealed, half-illuminated as he hides while Vader taunts him at the end of Jedi, just like when Anakin stands in the shade while he talks to Obi-Wan for the last time as a friend in Sith, is much more visually significant than the blue and red proxies for light and dark.

So what are you arguing here exactly?
The symbolism is clear.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Boy, the scene with the X-Wings flying low over the lake (at first in the background of the battle) and the music... hnng! Loving this so much! It's a shame the cinema had so low volume, can't wait for the bluray!

Im not sure it was your cinema, that scene was pretty much ruined by the low music mix, like they intentionally downplayed it. Alot of us have complained about it. What should have been a roaring insane musical scene ended up being filled with a very low, almost silent track.

Jarmel

Banned
Im not sure it was your cinema, that scene was pretty much ruined by the low music mix, like they intentionally downplayed it. Alot of us have complained about it. What should have been a roaring insane musical scene ended up being filled with a very low, almost silent track.

The sound direction is all over the place.

Yeah the mix undermines the score. The troopers go "we got incoming" and Han says , "the Resistance." Music should've been blaring on the shot of Xwings but it is quiet.

Re: Soundtrack
I'm still disappointed we didn't get that heavy percussive Force Theme like in the trailers.

ArchAngel

Damn, I hope Disney knows about this and will change it for the home release :(

Pagusas

Elden Member
Damn, I hope Disney knows about this and will change it for the home release :(

It was likely a directional choice, I doubt its something we will see "fixed" as its not necessarily a mistake, just a difference of opinion between the audience and director about how a scene should play. JJ actually does this alot, several scenes in Star Trek 09 are downplayed musically that you'd expect to have much more power, but not nearly to this extent.

Then again, disney is known for pumping up their home releases mixes (See Frozen, Tangled, Lion King, Aladin, Pirates of the Caribean, basically any release in the last 5 years) All of them have very hot, very exaggerated mixes (The Lion king being the only one I know of that lets you play the original non-altered mix)

And she's going to have a Darth maul lightsaber with Luke's saber on one end and Anakins on the other end. Completing the prophecy. Boom.

Yes. I've got my tinfoil hat on and its a little tight, but it still fits.

would be fucking dope. She HAS to have a darth maul double light saber. No other way around it

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
would be fucking dope. She HAS to have a darth maul double light saber. No other way around it

Yeah I will be shocked if she doesn't have a double saber. Maybe a variation on it if you can do that and still have it staff-like (triple saber anybody? With 2 grips and light saber in between? Ehhhhh??)

I'm not arguing anything, other than the whole blue light/red light thing is less important than "Sun's gone, time to kill Han!"

I'm clarifying to The Chef what Alucard is arguing.

But it is there. The symbolism is obvious and that is done clearly with the sun fading in the background. It also clearly is casting a blue/white tint on half of Kylo's face.

Alucard said:
I didn't see this blue light on his face at all. Just red red red and then darkness when the sun goes down.

Thats incorrect.

Alucard

Banned
I just dont even...

znQ8OD0.png

UZpMVKA.png

Just before killing Han Solo. The light from the star dims to near black:
Lwp4DP6.png

After killing Solo:
bvWpvad.png

I'm not arguing the intensity of the red/darkness. I'm questioning the existence of the blue on his face. In the second freeze frame, you kind of see it...I guess. In live action, I didn't notice it at all.

Kin5290

How do you even fight with that kind of weapon? It's like a bat'leth, in that it's terribly designed and should only succeed in cutting off your own leg as you try to swing.

I want her to make a light-pole arm, with a shaft made of cortosis alloy or something saber resistant, so she can fully incorporate staff/spear fighting techniques into her style.

Alucard

Banned
But it is there. The symbolism is obvious and that is done clearly with the sun fading in the background. It also clearly is casting a blue/white tint on half of Kylo's face.

Alucard said:

Thats incorrect.

Dude, no one is arguing the symbolism of the sun's light fading. People made it seem like blue and red were wrestling on his face during this scene when it was just red that was the largely dominant colour. That's all I'm saying.

Interfectum

Dude, no one is arguing the symbolism of the sun's light fading. People made it seem like blue and red were wrestling on his face during this scene when it was just red that was the largely dominant colour. That's all I'm saying.

During my first viewing I saw the red/blue dynamic. I'm not "seeing what I want to see."

Falk

that puzzling face
I just dont even...

Don't mind him, he's just allergic to sunlight.

Kemal86

The blue was 100% obvious to me each time I saw the film. (Which is four times. So far.)

What the hell are you guys arguing about?? The blue was factually there, there's nothing to argue about. If you didn't see it go see the movie again because it's as clear as water.

The Chef

I'm not arguing the intensity of the red/darkness. I'm questioning the existence of the blue on his face.In the second freeze frame, you kind of see it...I guess. In live action, I didn't notice it at all.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Funny how this scene has about has much xwings they sent against Stasucker canon. Wonder where were the Ywing bombers or cruisers they had or even the fleet they keep mentioning but we never see...

Pagusas

Elden Member
Funny how this scene has about has much xwings they sent against Stasucker canon. Wonder where were the Ywing bombers or cruisers they had or even the fleet they keep mentioning but we never see...

Y-wings are done and gone, they are like the f-14, outdated, bulky, but beautifuly, but retired.

The rest JJ said he only wanted Xwings vs Tie Fighters.

And yes, the Resistance only had a very tiny fleet, they were underfunded and not an official organization, rather a secret one that lived off private funding. They sent all they had to recover BB-8, and sent it all again to attack Starkiller Base. (thaking that from the Novel which I listed in my "extra details learned from the novel" post 1 page back)

The "Rey = Reincarnated Anakin" stuff is just garbage.

If she's a Skywalker, fine.
If she's another "chosen one, kinda meh...but OK.

Her just secretly being Anakin completely deflates Rey as a character.

So I'm reading the script for the movie:

• Rey's arc is still flat for me. The first chance she gets, she's trying to get back to Jakku. Late in the second act, she finds Luke's lightsaber, gets scared, and then gets captured. It's a tiny dip in relatively flat plane. I don't feel there's much inner conflict about her destiny up until she touches Luke's lightsaber. Rey certainly does have abandonment issues. Finn is the only person she remembers that asked her if she's okay. Rey is the first person that looks at Finn as if he's a person and not a designation. They're meant for each other.
  • Rey's potential with the Force comes late in the game, as well. Too late, for me. She pushes back against Kylo Ren which surprises both of them. Then she's like "what else can I do?" It reminds me of Tetsuo after he figures out he can fly in AKIRA, except, again, it's too late. In AKIRA, Tetsuo starts getting powerful at the middle of the second act.
  • Kylo Ren is DEFINITELY not toying with Rey or Finn during the duel. In fact, he sees Finn as a challenge and Finn impresses him. He's still hampered by his injury, though. Then, after Kylo offers to be Rey's teacher, she gets her power up and kicks his ass. She only stops because she would be going over to the dark side.
    Code:
    Rey closes her eyes for a long beat. When Rey opens them,
    she is centered, fortified, and she POUNDS BACK, SINGLE HANDED
    SWIPES, hitting Ren's gnarly, spitting saber with incredible
    FORCE. It's so fast now, so furious, that Kylo Ren FALLS
    BACK -- She ATTACKS HARDER!

Ren gets up again but she HITS HIS SABER'S HILT -- HIS BLADE
    GOES FLYING OFF, TUMBLING INTO THE SNOW -- and she SLASHES
    AGAIN AND AGAIN AND HITS KYLO REN SQUARE IN THE HEAD AND
    CHEST. HE GOES DOWN, SUDDENLY A FEARFUL MAN, A LARGE BURN
    SCAR SLASHED ACROSS HIS FACE! He still reaches for his saber.

And she could kill him -- right now, with ONE VICIOUS STRIKE!

But she stops. Realizing she stands on a greater edge than
    even the cliff -- the edge of the dark side. The earth
    SHAKES. The earth splits. A gully forms.

This is all from the script, so take it as you will. Treat it like gospel or non-canon EU. Or just trash because it might be fake. But it might be real because it was sent to WGA members

Someone brought this up maybe ten pages or so ago, but the idea that there were also FO sympathizers inside the Republic who may have sent them financial support like the Resistance sympathizers did for Leia is an interesting one.

They don't need to muddy the waters further by including that idea in the mainline movies though. The idea that the Resistance is just the paramilitary arm of the Republic formed to fight a proxy war against the FO is sufficient considering how TFA went.

"Friends of the First Order" does make for an interesting what-if? tho

Strange, the script says Rey stops attacking Kylo because she doesn't want to go to the dark side. But in the movie, after Kylo is disarmed, she made no attempt to get closer to him or had any visible sign of internal struggle. Plus, the ground started cracking literally instaneuously. There was no dark side struggle in the film for Rey.

zsynqx

Strange, the script says Rey stops attacking Kylo because she doesn't want to go to the dark side. But in the movie, after Kylo is disarmed, she made no attempt to get closer to him or had any visible sign of internal struggle. Plus, the ground started cracking literally instaneuously. There was no dark side struggle in the film for Rey.

Actors and directors aren't slaves to the script so could have made decisions while shooting to alter that scene.

Films don't always follow the script. Sometimes, stuff changes in editing or direction. I treat it the same way as the novelization. It's a supplement. What matters is what is shown in the movie.

So I'm reading the script for the movie:

• Rey's arc is still flat for me. The first chance she gets, she's trying to get back to Jakku. Late in the second act, she finds Luke's lightsaber, gets scared, and then gets captured. It's a tiny dip in relatively flat plane. I don't feel there's much inner conflict about her destiny up until she touches Luke's lightsaber. Rey certainly does have abandonment issues. Finn is the only person she remembers that asked her if she's okay. Rey is the first person that looks at Finn as if he's a person and not a designation. They're meant for each other.
  • Rey's potential with the Force comes late in the game, as well. Too late, for me. She pushes back against Kylo Ren which surprises both of them. Then she's like "what else can I do?" It reminds me of Tetsuo after he figures out he can fly in AKIRA, except, again, it's too late. In AKIRA, Tetsuo starts getting powerful at the middle of the second act.
  • Kylo Ren is DEFINITELY not toying with Rey or Finn during the duel. In fact, he sees Finn as a challenge and Finn impresses him. He's still hampered by his injury, though. Then, after Kylo offers to be Rey's teacher, she gets her power up and kicks his ass. She only stops because she would be going over to the dark side.
    Code:
    Rey closes her eyes for a long beat. When Rey opens them,
    she is centered, fortified, and she POUNDS BACK, SINGLE HANDED
    SWIPES, hitting Ren's gnarly, spitting saber with incredible
    FORCE. It's so fast now, so furious, that Kylo Ren FALLS
    BACK -- She ATTACKS HARDER!

Ren gets up again but she HITS HIS SABER'S HILT -- HIS BLADE
    GOES FLYING OFF, TUMBLING INTO THE SNOW -- and she SLASHES
    AGAIN AND AGAIN AND HITS KYLO REN SQUARE IN THE HEAD AND
    CHEST. HE GOES DOWN, SUDDENLY A FEARFUL MAN, A LARGE BURN
    SCAR SLASHED ACROSS HIS FACE! He still reaches for his saber.

And she could kill him -- right now, with ONE VICIOUS STRIKE!

But she stops. Realizing she stands on a greater edge than
    even the cliff -- the edge of the dark side. The earth
    SHAKES. The earth splits. A gully forms.

This is all from the script, so take it as you will. Treat it like gospel or non-canon EU. Or just trash because it might be fake. But it might be real because it was sent to WGA members
For a movie you don't like you sure seem obsessed with it.

[*]Kylo Ren is DEFINITELY not toying with Rey or Finn during the duel. In fact, he sees Finn as a challenge and Finn impresses him. He's still hampered by his injury, though. Then, after Kylo offers to be Rey's teacher, she gets her power up and kicks his ass. .

You can see Kylo is dragging things out on purpose in his fight with Finn. Finn is the TRAITOR who started ALL of this and ruined their plans to the point that there base is moments away from being destroyed. Not only did he out perform Finn slamming him to the ground, but he also backed off to let Finn reset himself so he could deal him more punishment (cross guard to the shoulder).

The moment Finn got a hit it in, Kylo came back to his senses and finished the fight in an instant.

Kylo got caught off guard when Rey attacked him after asking her to join him. He stood there waiting for her answer while she channeled the force to calm down. He was at his breaking point anyway and she was able to get over her fear and fight with confidence and speed like she normally does. Only this time with a little bit of Force guidance

Top Bottom