• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

JB1981

Man! How did JJ not have Luke force pull his lightsabre from Rey and fire it up right before the credits rolled?!

Instead they just stared at each other at length. Blue balls.

Because Luke isn't ready to accept his saber from a new student and what all that entails yet. It would have been "cool" but a moment like that would have betrayed how the character has been built up that point

Considering Finn was kidnapped as a baby and he's 23, this indicates that the First Order should at the very least be established by 7 years after Endor (11 ABY following the old chronology). Probably even earlier.

I wonder if the old Empire is completely gone by that point or if there's a period where there is still an official Empire in the core that slowly melds into the New Republic while the FO is setting up shop.

The FO is the Empire.

I think Rey was born on the last planet in the movie (where Luke is)
When Ren searches her mind, he sees (so she sees) an ocean and an island, exactly like the planet
That would also explain her force powers since it's where the first jedi temple is

The Adder

Banned
In regards to Finn:

First time out on a mission to slughter people he realizes this shit is wrong and jumps ship.

The Storm Troopers he killed had the same opportunity to see what they were doing was wrong (some moreso), and yet they continued to serve.

No they weren't like him. He chose his path and they chose theirs. (This is also why making it so that it was the force that snapped him to would be awful)

The FO is the Empire.

One big gaping hole I hope gets a story is what happened to the Empire after the end of sidious and the rise of the first order. There are novels coming out to replace the old-now-non-canon-EU, even though I didn't know what was in the EU either.

However, I think this could be explained as we find out who Snoke is.

Calabi

The fact that the Starkiller base does or does not move isnt the biggest problem. Its the fact that removing mass/energy from the star isnt just going to make it go black or dead or whatever its going to make it go supernova, a big explosion is going to happen there's no way around that, even Stargate knows this. Its overkill, like strangling someone with their own intestines, when their just a mess of body parts and gore scattered all over the place.

Because Luke isn't ready to accept his saber from a new student and what all that entails yet. It would have been "cool" but a moment like that would have betrayed how the character has been built up that point

Ah, the movie had already done that in various parts with other characters, so what's one more?

But yea he would have probably first asked "Who the fuck are you and how the balls did you find me?" before anything.

One big gaping hole I hope gets a story is what happened to the Empire after the end of sidious and the rise of the first order. There are novels coming out to replace the old-now-non-canon-EU, even though I didn't know what was in the EU either.

However, I think this could be explained as we find out who Snoke is.

Collapses and the Rebel Alliance form the New Republic, with Mon Mothma as their first leader, she initiates the peace talks and the de-militarization, at some point a peace treaty with the remaining Empire probably now FO is reached, they scurry away to the far reaches of space to get their shit in order, eventually a new leader is elected whose name is almost literally Neville Chamberlain who is even more of a peacenick than Mothma, allows the FO to grow relatively unchecked in the name of keeping the peace. Leia through out doesn't like this, is shunned by many of the Senate forms The Resistance (resisting the growing power of the FO) from the folks she trusted most in the RA and basically gets to work tracking them and opposing their bullshit in the outer rim. She secretly is funded by some of the Senate while they publicly deny being associated with her.

jackal27

Banned
Yooo that's fucked up. One of these days I'll push through the garbage of the early parts of that show, there's clearly cool stuff in there...

Just boot it up on Netflix and then play your 3DS or something. That's what I did. Early parts of the show still have some gold in there.

Cheebo

Banned
Just boot it up on Netflix and then play your 3DS or something. That's what I did. Early parts of the show still have some gold in there.
Why in the world would anyone watch Netflix on such a horrible outdated screen as the 3DS? Streaming looks like a 1995 VHS on that thing.

Brakke

Banned
Why in the world would anyone watch Netflix on such a horrible outdated screen as the 3DS? Streaming looks like a 1995 VHS on that thing.

Nah dude. Put the show on the TV then play your 3DS so you're only half-watching the show. At least all the episodes I've seen so far only demand half-attention.

Collapses and the Rebel Alliance form the New Republic, with Mon Mothma as their first leader, she initiates the peace talks and the de-militarization, at some point a peace treaty with the remaining Empire probably now FO is reached, they scurry away to the far reaches of space to get their shit in order, eventually a new leader is elected whose name is almost literally Neville Chamberlain who is even more of a peacenick than Mothma, allows the FO to grow relatively unchecked in the name of keeping the peace. Leia through out doesn't like this, is shunned by many of the Senate forms The Resistance (resisting the growing power of the FO) from the folks she trusted most in the RA and basically gets to work tracking them and opposing their bullshit in the outer rim. She secretly is funded by some of the Senate while they publicly deny being associated with her.

Is this old-EU or still considered canon?

jackal27

Banned

I meant to play your 3DS while it plays on the TV haha. Although I did used to use my 3DS watch Netflix on my lunch breaks at work sometimes haha.

neoism

If Disney wants, Disney gets. They are not leaving millions on the table for an extended cut.

i understand that but i meant that some directors only direct scenes needed and doesnt do scenes that they dont need.... and most that are deeleted scenes or whatever are just bad takes or something... but id like more if their is more...

Johndoey

Banned
So the freak out just comes out of nowhere because a random stormtrooper placed a bloody hand on Finn's helmet. Finn was about to help the trooper before he died, so something is there.

I'm not saying that Finn shouldn't defend himself. I just think it would be interesting to see him conflicted about it is all.

I think it could've been a subplot for the Force Awakens. It's something that sounds interesting to me. I hope could come back to it in Ep 8.

Isn't the going theory the bloody hand trooper was probably his book buddy Slip.

neoism

Man! How did JJ not have Luke force pull his lightsabre from Rey and fire it up right before the credits rolled?!

Instead they just stared at each other at length. Blue balls.

ahaha yeah i posted that yesterday... would have been waaay better... that aerial shot was meh...

sphagnum

Banned
Is this old-EU or still considered canon?

Canon, the Resistance and First Order weren't around in the EU.

I have a hard time believing that someone like Rae Sloane would join the First Order, so unless she dies or jumps ship and joins the New Republic, I would imagine there must have been some kind of core world Imperial Remnant existing for at least a bit of time prior to the First Order's emergence. Or at least I'll be disappointed if there isn't. I know the Visual Dictionary says that the hardliners who were locked in a cold war with the New Republic fled and formed the First Order after the reparations - the question is what happened to the non-fanatics who were just law and order types.

neoism

It wouldnt make any sense tho.. Sounds like prequel decision making.

why? the aerial shot didnt make scene either... not having luke saay one line didnt either... it would have been COOL...

its not like he isnt gonna use it in the next movie... and if he stays conflicted for half the movie than its gonna be worse the AoTC... they way they were looking at each other Luke knew.. this is my student.

Tawpgun

Star killer base is a bit overkill. you can wipe out entire star systems by just sucking up their sun and moving away.

But the whole point is a method of intimidation. No time to evacuate, just death beam.

Fencedude

There is a huge difference between not wanting to shoot innocent, unarmed peasants and shooting back at people trying to kill you

But you guys know this. I read the conversation you already had. Why is this still going on.

Candy shouldn't be spicy. It's fucking ridiculous!

But sour isn't spicy. Unless you're talking about red hots.

Yeah, I think people mostly agree that it's possible to justify this. The disconnect comes in for me because it seemed like part of what made him turn was seeing a fellow trooper die. Then a few scenes later he's slaughtering them by the bucket-load without flinching. I don't think it needed to be a huge drawn out thing, or a major character arc or plot line, but it did feel very sudden and that could've been mitigated if they'd at least shown he was a little bothered about it.

If they had shown that, I wouldn't have a problem. Just a small moment that could speak volumes. That's what I wanted.

tbd

Enjoyed the movie but how come it gets this much praise? It really didn't do anything that spectacular and there are a lot of dumb things. Was kinda shocked by its reviews and scores.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I think people mostly agree that it's possible to justify this. The disconnect comes in for me because it seemed like part of what made him turn was seeing a fellow trooper die. Then a few scenes later he's slaughtering them by the bucket-load without flinching. I don't think it needed to be a huge drawn out thing, or a major character arc or plot line, but it did feel very sudden and that could've been mitigated if they'd at least shown he was a little bothered about it.

As with a lot of similar objections, they get around it in the moment by just continuing to move forward, letting the plot carry the audience along. For me it was only a brief moment of disconnect, and then I was back in the movie again.

It worked for me because of the context: they were slaughtering villagers. I felt that Finn was having an epiphany not just from fellow troopers dying - but what they were dying for. (Thus his refusal to fire on them.)

nampad

The movie was just sooooooo bad. I really don't get how my friends could ever say it was good. The worst of the Star Wars movies easily.

How about something new instead of the same old shit again and again? Also, there are so many loopholes and shitty characters (Kylo Ren is a fucking loser).

I knew about Han Solo's death beforehand (my nephew spoilered me, damn kids...) but that scene was telegraphed anyway.

Ark

Just watched it for the second time tonight and I still love it. Obviously noticed a lot more of the hints along the way, as well as being able to appreciate more of those tasty visual metaphors.

I have one question though, is there a list of extra books somewhere? I keep reading about new canonical EU stuff, and I'm just a bit lost.

Just watched it for the second time tonight and I still love it. Obviously noticed a lot more of the hints along the way, as well as being able to appreciate more of those tasty visual metaphors.

I have one question though, is there a list of extra books somewhere? I keep reading about new canonical EU stuff, and I'm just a bit lost.
The Star Wars OT. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1002551 Scroll down a bit for the main books.

This wasn't something that bothered me at the time of viewing to be honest. However, since i've seen it mentioned I think my take is a little bit different.

He sees a fellow trooper die, but we never see him interact with any other trooper he is emotionally close with. The way I see it, in the moment he sees another trooper die, it's more of an existential moment, as if he is watching himself die. The purpose of the death, followed by thoughts of what it means to be alive, and then followed by the final actions of the FO in the mass slaughter of people who cannot fight back. He knows first hand what it is like to be a trooper, and the process of indoctrination he clearly has some clue of what it is about. Which could be explained why he makes the decision to escape before being forced to go back to the re-evaluation meeting setup by phasma.

There is a possibility to some degree he could view fellow troopers as brainwashed puppets, after these chain of events. However, when they are approaching and killing people, who for the first time, have shown him some of the humanity he has learned about himself. He has no choice, what, you going to convince all the troopers to rebel in the midst of battle? no chance.

Fencedude

Why does everyone bring up that line? He's clearly just teasing, and flirting with her. I've done that with a girl once with pepperoni pizza.

Because its a crappy line read and lame in general.

Granted, dudes in their late-teens or early 20s are very frequently highly lame while attempting to flirt with a pretty girl, but thats not something that needs to be in your multi-million dollar blockbuster fantasy movie

Top Bottom