• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

TimFL

wut

edit: jesus christ this show has the WORST security ever. Why is the ship so leaky compared to, say, game of thrones?
What are you talking about? GoT had the full first half of season 5 (5 full episodes) leak in HD quality before the first episode even hit TV?
That's infinitely worse than having crap quality audio leak.

OT: I hope they have an after credits scene because I'm definitely done with the show if they end it on a cliffhanger.

Catdaddy

Waiting until October for the reveal after such buildup, would be such a poor decision. This isn’t a like the Terminus cliffhanger where they are locked up, this is a major turning point in the series.

I could see a black screen/no music scene for a minute or so then a pan up for the reveal of the victim.

Waiting until October for the reveal after such buildup, would be such a poor decision. This isn’t a like the Terminus cliffhanger where they are locked up, this is a major turning point in the series.

I could see a black screen/no music scene for a minute or so then a pan up for the reveal of the victim.

Who said anything about October?

If they end this season without revealing Negan's victim, who's to say they won't string this along well into S7? Be prepared to get Negan's back story first. Because, reasons. Who knows what other ridiculous shit they can cook up in order to delay the inevitable.

About the only thing that gives me hope for the switch-aroo theory for Sunday's episode is that the show runners have to know that there's absolutely no way they can keep the lid on this thing. The whole world will know by May/June who the victim was.

If they end this season without revealing Negan's victim, who's to say they won't string this along well into S7? Be prepared to get Negan's back story first. Because, reasons.

Ugh. Yep. Don't forget, Kirkman and Image are rolling out Negan's official backstory this summer, so they'll have something to work with in that regard. At the very least, I wouldn't be shocked to have S7E1 be the backstory behind Dwight's face getting iron'd.

If they end this season without revealing Negan's victim, who's to say they won't string this along well into S7? Be prepared to get Negan's back story first. Because, reasons. Who knows what other ridiculous shit they can cook up in order to delay the inevitable.

About the only thing that gives me hope for the switch-aroo theory for Sunday's episode is that the show runners have to know that there's absolutely no way they can keep the lid on this thing. The whole world will know by May/June who the victim was.
Damn never thought that. They would do that too

-griffy-

Banned
Episode 8 of next season will finally reveal that Negan is actually bashing the brains out of a pile of walkers, and Glenn managed to slip beneath a nearby dumpster to avoid the carnage.

Airola

If it is a cliffhanger wouldn't that basically rule Glen out? Because almost everyone I know that watches the Walking Dead pretty much knows what happens in the comic (Talking Dead has made references to it, and even the show has played around with people knowing about the bat). It would be stupid to have a cliffhanger for something everyone thinks they already know, unless you was going to change it up.

That said we are talking about the writers TWD...

Edit: I do know one older couple who love the TWD, but they have zero idea what is going to happen. I can't wait to hear their reaction.

I'm pretty sure most of the viewers don't know anything about the comic. This show is HUGE. Way bigger than the comics are.

I'm one of those who haven't read the comic more than once looked at a few pages of one issue at a book store, and seen some pages on the internet because I'm way too interested in spoilers and have some interest in seeing what differences have the series and the comic had.

The only people who the cliffhanger might have a negative effect on are those who know the comics, and that's not the majority of the viewers. I don't think 20 million people have read the comics.

The only people who the cliffhanger might have a negative effect on are those who know the comics, and that's not the majority of the viewers. I don't think 20 million people have read the comics.

Going to have to disagree. You don't need to have read the comic or have any idea of what's coming in order to feel ripped off by a cliffhanger in a scene like this.

Brutal as it is, Negan making an example out of a core member of the group is the defining moment of his introduction as a character. It's the payoff. If you withhold that from the viewers, you've basically neutered the whole thing regardless of whether or not your audience has read the comic.

Surfinn

Am I the only one who thinks the "leak" could have possibly been released on purpose to generate a shitton of buzz a few days before the finale? They clearly don't reveal who gets killed and it sounds like it was intended to be as confusing as possible.

Or has this sort of audio leak happened before? Just seems strange to me.

Watching agai and then watching the leaked video this doesn't sync at all he only hits the person once in the video and here you here numerous times

Spizz

Banned

This is something I've been thinking about today. The idea that they would add the victim after backlash may screw with s7 plans real bad. Who's to say the lead up to the victim is a significant plot point for the first half of next season? We all know how they love dragging out stuff for midseason shock (hey Beth).
Watching agai and then watching the leaked video this doesn't sync at all he only hits the person once in the video and here you here numerous times
Perhaps it cuts to black after the hit with the ear ringing? The rest could just be sound effects.

this thread is a rollercoaster of emotion

The finale cliffhanger definitely has me on the ropes lol

giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure most of the viewers don't know anything about the comic. This show is HUGE. Way bigger than the comics are.

Yes it is, but like I said for some reason most of the non-comic readers show watchers know about Glen (that I know, so it may vary). I think people love spoiling themselves when it comes to TWD. Maybe it makes them less anxious. I've also seen this phenom with other shows like Game of Thrones. I know people who was so mad after the Red Wedding that they purposely spoiled themselves on a certain character's death. Every time I mentioned to someone I've read the first 100 or so the TWD comic they try to get me to spoil them on anything that can be related to the show.

I think the cliffhanger will impose all of them still there, on their knees. The audience doesn't know if more will be killed or not maybe? that might be the cliffhanger question - #WHOSNEXT?

i think that is what will happen. but this is all getting me anxious! i cant wait to watch it this weekend!!!!!!

What if what we are hearing is the cold opening of the show in the audio and the rest of is the flashback leading up it. They do it all the time, and I couldn't think of a more intense way to start the show. It explains the music, and at the end they do actually show who got it.

What if what we are hearing is the cold opening of the show in the audio and the rest of is the flashback leading up it. They do it all the time, and I couldn't think of a more intense way to start the show. It explains the music, and at the end they do actually show who got it.

Lets do it!

That would be a pretty terrible cold opening. It gives away the ENTIRE scene. I could maybe believe it if it cut to the theme after Negan says, "I'm going to beat the living hell out of one of you," but not the way it is now.

Moofers

I haven't heard the audio, but the Reddit user's idea of the cold open is pretty good, IMO. I think a lot of you are so in love with being miserable over the cliff hanger that you're not able to see how that could really work. The theme music coming in at the end should seal it for you, I'd think, but I guess a lot of you are a hard sell on anything other than a cliffhanger.

Jacob4815

Jurec the translator said that the scene is at the end.

I read somewhere else that between 10:34-10:37 you can hear Glen go 'Ma..Ma..Ma' like in the comic. At one time due to the fake outs I was sure it wouldn't be Glen, but now I leaning towards it being Glen.

TVexperto

What if its not only one person but several? They said they wanted to change something from the comics but still have it be a huge impact / effect on the viewers

UberTag

Maybe he didn't see the final edit.
Sucks for those foreign markets not getting the final edit of the episode and all.
They don't get to see Negan until the end whereas we get it as a cold open in North America and find out who gets Lucilled at the end unlike the rest of the world.
Fans in those other countries are gonna be pissed.

Really now...

What if its not only one person but several? They said they wanted to change something from the comics but still have it be a huge impact / effect on the viewers
You haven't listened to the scene, have you?

Moofers

Sucks for those foreign markets not getting the final edit of the episode and all.
They don't get to see Negan until the end whereas we get it as a cold open in North America and find out who gets Lucilled at the end unlike the rest of the world.

Really now...

Well, I don't know how that process works. What happens there? Does he receive a copy of the show, provide subtitle translation, and then ship it back? Or does he ship it directly to the local network for that region? Do you know?

My thought is if they are simply translating and sending back their work, the show's in-house production team would then take that work and apply it to their final edit before sending it out to all the partners in that region. But hey, I don't know. I'm just taking a guess at what would make sense from my limited perspective.

The intro music playing at the end seems weird to me. I have a feeling its the cold open.

Really now...

You haven't listened to the scene, have you?

hey i mean Europe gets screwed all the time when it comes to videogame releases
maybe this was inevitable?

I could imagine them doing that as the intro and having the fear of what's coming (and the unknown of who it is) hanging over the audience for the entire duration of the episode until we see the reverse of the POV angle at the end.

Beyond that... *shrugs*. I got no ideas, and to be honest there's nothing that can be done about it so I'm just going to wait for Sunday.

Maybe he didn't see the final edit.

Most of the episodes, as they appear on DVD, don't have the "Next Time" promo as they do in broadcast airings. They just go direct to the credits. I expect that this is how this sequence runs in the version that was given to the translator.

Most of the episodes, as they appear on DVD, don't have the "Next Time" promo as they do in broadcast airings. They just go direct to the credits. I expect that this is how this sequence runs in the version that was given to the translator.

Why are there so many NOT questioning that the leaked audio plays the intro music after the scene ends?

Well, I don't know how that process works. What happens there? Does he receive a copy of the show, provide subtitle translation, and then ship it back? Or does he ship it directly to the local network for that region? Do you know?

My thought is if they are simply translating and sending back their work, the show's in-house production team would then take that work and apply it to their final edit before sending it out to all the partners in that region. But hey, I don't know. I'm just taking a guess at what would make sense from my limited perspective.

The intro music playing at the end seems weird to me. I have a feeling its the cold open.

The captioning process usually involves creating a 608/708 (or similar) caption file that gets embedded into an mxf with the episode itself as it goes to the station to air. That caption file is married by timecode to the video/audio from the final episode itself.

In other words: you don't generally caption from something other than a final edit.

Given that we have someone posting in this very thread who handles captioning for one of the foreign markets, we can quite safely assume that the Negan scene is NOT part of a cold open, or we would have known it for a while now.

Brandwin

Something like that will have me considering to stop watching the show. The cliffhanger at the end of Season 6 (if there is one) is making me consider it anyway....

they think their clever with the audio layering but once someone who knows what their doing gets a hold of it the victim will be as clear as day
techs too advanced for cliffhangers to work anymore in this day in age
should just give up on em already

they think their clever with the audio layering but once someone who knows what their doing gets a hold of it the victim will be as clear as day
techs too advanced for cliffhangers to work anymore in this day in age
should just give up on em already
Trying to work on it right now biggest thing I can point out is there are audio gaps cut out. Right after he says if anyone moves cut his eye out and feed it to his dad it's cut then says and now we begin . I'm assuming between that something is said either Maggie saying Rick like in the comic or Abraham mouthing off or something the audio links don't match up

Oh man, I was so trying to avoid the audio, but decided to listen to it up to Eeenie meenie while going through the pages in the comic. Hold shit, SO good! It adds that much more to the visceral experience of seeing it in the book and actually hearing JDM's reading.

I am so pumped, I just want to see the scene now.

Trying to work on it right now biggest thing I can point out is there are audio gaps cut out. Right after he says if anyone moves cut his eye out and feed it to his dad it's cut then says and now we begin . I'm assuming between that something is said either Maggie saying Rick like in the comic or Abraham mouthing off or something the audio links don't match up

that makes me think someone spliced this together to fuck with us
or TSDF is fucking with us on purpose and hiding the real ending

Kard8p3

man I had a dream about this scene last night. Shit was so good. Now I'm sad because the show will likely not live up to my dream LOL.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm not one for dipping my face in something like this, but I swear I saw video of them taping this scene months ago with the camera facing up when he bat comes down but the only person in the cast on the set for this was the guy playing Negan.

Top Bottom