• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

I don't think there's any way I can ever play the ping pong game, I'll try it again this week, but I'm so used to holding the paddle with the chinese penhold grip that it'll be impossible for me to actually play it another way. Maybe I should think I'm playing tennis and not ping pong...

cakefoo said:
I beat Kenji thanks to Beast's tip about his weak left side--- 3-starred him, actually!

I also taped the next game- my first match with Ace 8000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNi8Z599Vlo

I survived up to the 17th point ^_^

I was just dog-tired after though, lol...

Really cool to see a forehand player coping with Ace. I play almost exclusively back-hand, and half the points I lose are in the transition between the two. I think if I had more room, I'd be willing to experiment, but my calves are right up against my couch when I play, so it's not easy to shift stances. I'm only four players into the Champions cup, but they're kicking my ass/wearing out my arm/shoulder. Great, fun exercise (and I'm a chubby fellow).

Edit: It's also really cool that you go "dig" the off-table balls, too, even though the point is over. I can't resist doing that either--trying to "pull" them back onto the table.

YulB.Yeung said:
You may all laugh at me, but I just realized that each character played differently. Yes yes, even the profiles state which stats the characters specializes in but I didn't realize how much it affected gameplay.
Really? I had no idea. I need to check that out next time I play the game.

fixuis

@AranhaHunter The game recognizes the way you hold the move, essentially changing grips. So you can play with a pen hold grip as opposed to the traditional grip, it changes on the fly :D

John daly looks like the golf game to get. Guys how good is planet mini golf with move? As responsive as table tennis and that John daly vid? All developers should just follow the sports champions code, when it comes to 1:1 gameplay.

TTP, bonjourno my Italian friend! I hope I spelled that correctly :lol Can you do a planet mini golf vid please?

cakefoo

CreativeWriter said:
Really cool to see a forehand player coping with Ace. I play almost exclusively back-hand, and half the points I lose are in the transition between the two. I think if I had more room, I'd be willing to experiment, but my calves are right up against my couch when I play, so it's not easy to shift stances. I'm only four players into the Champions cup, but they're kicking my ass/wearing out my arm/shoulder. Great, fun exercise (and I'm a chubby fellow).

Edit: It's also really cool that you go "dig" the off-table balls, too, even though the point is over. I can't resist doing that either--trying to "pull" them back onto the table.
lol... I do it in real life too- the show must go on!

Loudninja

Played the demo and loved it, table tennis was fantastic and disc golf was fun as well which surprise me. Will get the game next week.

fixuis

Fetching off table balls and somehow trying to get them on the table is one of my fav things to do as well. Almost as satisfying as letting the ball fall really low under the table and then playing it late and getting it back on the table, something majestic about those shots.

Fox1304

Finally received the game, so early impressions :
- Gladiator and TT are indeed awesome.
- Played TT in Hard, being confident after having played the demo. Got my ass kicked so hard that I think my jaw is broken.
- Archery is very nice with two moves, found it really easy for now. Having the move between one's eyes and the TV is pretty annoying though.
- I managed to catch a dramatic ball coming on my left side (right handed) by putting the paddle behind my back as a reflex from my former years of real-TT. It freakin worked and I got the ball back on play !
- Any of the sports gets +100 on epicness when played with some Two Steps From Hell custom music. (+200 with the "Heart of courage" song).
- Bocce is sensitive in a ... special way. Have to get used to it.

Can't wait to play more !

fuenf

table tennis definitely feels realistic but even in the gold cup the hitboxes are ridiculously huge. if you just place the paddle over the middle of the table it will block most of the balls.
i made a small video to illustrate it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c8xqsTX5r8

don't get me wrong, i still love how the game feels when you play it like it's supposed to be played. but i wonder if you could even win a match without moving the controller at all…

fuenf said:
table tennis definitely feels realistic but even in the gold cup the hitboxes are ridiculously huge. if you just place the paddle over the middle of the table it will block most of the balls.

don't get me wrong, i still love how the game feels when you play it like it's supposed to be played. but i wonder if you could even win a match without moving the controller at all…

That looks beyond ridiculous. I can't believe this is actually the case...sure it wasn't a glitch?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Uh, that must be a glitch.

fuenf

chubigans said:
That seems like a huge glitch. :lol

I tried this in Silver and it doesn't work. Phooey.

redbarchetta said:
That looks beyond ridiculous. I can't believe this is actually the case...sure it wasn't a glitch?

yeah pretty sure. i can replicate this behaviour in Silver, Gold and Challenge Mode. It won't work in Bronze though.

Plinko said:
Hurr

I already said multiple times I like SC but I could see the reasoning behind comparing it to a minigame collection--not that I actually believe it to be so. You fanboys take things way too personally.

Answering your trollish, flame-baiting question, though--table tennis. My favorite part of playing through that one was learning that you actually had to move your body to win. Wii Sports Resort couldn't come close to offering that experience.

Just saying, you didnt say anything but negative things for like a page... trying to get some kind of joy outta you :lol. If that is trolling then so be it.. or is that you being negative again? hmmmm

Fusebox

Banned
I thought when he mentioned 'mini-games', he actually meant the mini-games inside SC that get unlocked. I didn't think he was disparaging SC as a collection of mini-games.

Oni Jazar

fuenf said:

Holy shit just tested this and I get the exact same thing on Gold.

That's disgusting. I knew there was a big area assist when hitting the ball but I'm really ashamed that Gold has such a wide area!! Can someone on the championship level try it out? This is really sad news.

I would like to see how a TRUE 1-1 game of TT would work.

Afrikan

YulB.Yeung said:
You may all laugh at me, but I just realized that each character played differently. Yes yes, even the profiles state which stats the characters specializes in but I didn't realize how much it affected gameplay.

u know everyone... even though this game doesn't have online multiplayer...it would be cool if they can patch in an ablity to upload a user's playstyle....kind of like how the VIP feature in 2K's NFL2k5 where it mimics how a user plays a game....to which someone can download and play against.

I'm sure we all play differently here....so if there is no way to support online multiplayer through a patch with SC part 1....then for now a VIP system would be cool...then we all can share our playstyles.......would be cool if there was a character creator tool as well.

fixuis

Afrikan said:
u know everyone... even though this game doesn't have online multiplayer...it would be cool if they can patch in an ablity to upload a user's playstyle....kind of like how the VIP feature in 2K's NFL2k5 where it mimics how a user plays a game....to which someone can download and play against.

I'm sure we all play differently here....so if there is no way to support online multiplayer through a patch with SC part 1....then for now a VIP system would be cool...then we all can share our playstyles.......would be cool if there was a character creator tool as well.

That is a brilliant idea. If we dont get online, this would be the next best thing.

jax (old)

Banned
Fusebox said:
I thought when he mentioned 'mini-games', he actually meant the mini-games inside SC that get unlocked. I didn't think he was disparaging SC as a collection of mini-games.

nah he meant that sports champion was a mini game collection. It was the latter.

beast786

In the first video , the guy was putting any spin. There is no way its gold/champion.

But I tried it any way and doesnt work. must be a calibration or setup glitch.

beast786

Oni Jazar said:
Holy shit just tested this and I get the exact same thing on Gold.

That's disgusting. I knew there was a big area assist when hitting the ball but I'm really ashamed that Gold has such a wide area!! Can someone on the championship level try it out? This is really sad news.

I would like to see how a TRUE 1-1 game of TT would work.

doesnt work on gold when I try it.

Mr.Green

fuenf said:

Oh. My. God. :lol

You've created a monster here you know that right? This thing will get posted ad nauseum every time a Sony fanboy pisses on Kinect or the Wii like it's been the case recently. I know this is a software design decision and that the hardware isn't the issue here, but still, this is priceless.

For the record, I love SC and TT in particular. Like I said earlier, I have 3 starred TT in Bronze, Silver and Gold so don't look at me this way.

beast786

Mr.Green said:
Oh. My. God. :lol

You've created a monster here you know that right? This thing will get posted ad nauseum every time a Sony fanboy pisses on Kinect or the Wii like it's been the case recently. I know this is a software design decision and that the hardware isn't the issue here, but still, this is priceless.

For the record, I love SC and TT in particular. Like I said earlier, I have 3 starred TT in Bronze, Silver and Gold so don't look at me this way.

why dont you try it before you get this exicted. :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I picked this up days ago but I've had to wait out my ban before I could post impressions... :/

MOVE is frigging awesome. And I've hated motion games thus far -- this just feels better. Most of my time has been in TT, with Archery getting a little love (I'm in silver but I find the calibration for this mode kind of janky, so I probably wont play it much further).

Table tennis is really good. I'm stuck atm on the 2nd to last chick on silver... her spins are killing me and she plays to my weak side which gets me off balance. I've almost beat her a few times, but something retarded will happen that causes me to lose an important point. It's always the same thing and my only complaint so far about the controller/game: I make unintended contact with the ball when trying to set up for my intended shot. It happens all the fucking time to me. To compensate I'll try bringing the paddle down below the table while I'm setting up, but those kinds of exaggerated movements will often put me at a disadvantage, especially against someone who's working you both sides. This could have been easily fixed by letting us hold T (or the move button) to make the paddle transparent and unable to interfere with the ball until released. But it's getting to the point now where the shit is really hampering my enjoyment of the game. I rolled everyone in bronze and silver up to this chick and now I'm having these mis-hits over and over against her... fucking annoying.

Also, while I'm complaining... freezing the gameplay (especially on my serve) so you can tell me it's match point is unacceptable. I'm tired, and once I get my exhausted body into position to serve let me fucking serve.

Last complaint: if one of the developers was standing in my living room the fourth or fifth time the game asks me if I "want an easier opponent"... I would seriously punch them in the face. Fuck you assholes. :lol

Here's what I really, really love about the move: you can go as hard as you want. I think it's possible to hit power shots and things and be lazy about it -- I've done it before accidentally -- but if you decide that you'd rather reach back and put everything you have into a return... the game recognizes that. So this imo is a great workout because I play way harder than I probably need to, but it works anyway... just how I intended. When I put my whole body into a shot I get rewarded with a fiery bullet down the line the CPU often can't handle.

Makes it fun. Makes it unique.

Mr.Green

beast786 said:
why dont you try it before you get this exicted. :D

Just did, and it's that bad. Even in Champions Cup.

Oh well, this sucks. I knew the game was forgiving as hell from playing it normally and was already rolling my eyes at the hyperbole posted in this thread since this came out, but I didn't realize it was this bad.

It kinda breaks the illusion eh? Just like those games where you're supposed to run and then you realize you really just have to shake your fucking arm. :lol

Anyway, like I said, not a hardware issue. So ZOMG 1:1 REVOLUTION!!! is still on.

beast786

Mr.Green said:

Oh well, this sucks. I knew the game was forgiving as hell from playing it normally and was already rolling my eyes at the hyperbole posted in this thread since this came out, but I didn't realize it was this bad.

It kinda breaks the illusion eh? Just like those games where you're supposed to run and then you realize you really just have to shake your fucking arm. :lol

Anyway, like I said, not a hardware issue. So ZOMG 1:1 REVOLUTION!!! is still on.

I tried it , didnt work at all like the video.

Not even close. I even tried on bronze and didnt work

Loudninja

Mr.Green said:

If this was on purpose it work in every cup but it does not nor does it work for everyone.

distrbnce

Banned
Mr.Green said:

Can you beat the game by doing it? If not, I don't think it's relevant at all. You still have to place your shots and out maneuver the opponent to win.

Mr.Green

So you guys are really gonna play the denial card here? Really? :lol

This is clearly a software design issue and there is no way in hell this has to do with calibration and whatnot. Just hold the paddle straight, close to the table like in the video and it works.

I mean, you're probably not going to win any games like that and there are balls that go through but the bounding box is ridiculously large.

beast786

Mr.Green said:
So you guys are really gonna play the denial card here? Really? :lol

This is clearly a software design issue and there is no way in hell this has to do with calibration and whatnot. Just hold the paddle straight, close to the table like in the video and it works.

I mean, you're probably not going to win any games like that and there are balls that go through but the bounding box is ridiculously large.

I have no idea why I would be in denial?

I am at last guy in championship mode with kenji. It doest work me

Personally, dont care if you believe it or not.

Mr.Green

beast786 said:
I have no idea why I would be in denial?

I am at last guy in championship mode with kenji. It doest work me

Personally, dont care if you believe it or not.

I've tried against Dallas in gold and the first chick in Champions and it worked both times exactly the same.

Mr.Green

Oh boy. I've tried bronze. The fucking paddle moves by itself. :lol

Those saying it's not true, what guy are you using? I'm using Dallas.

beast786

Mr.Green said:

I use Kenji ,

I'll try to record it.

:D

EDIT: The box is there, but not that big at all. The 1:1 with speed, angle is still there, it just a assist with a slightly bigger box, which I alredy knew.

Loudninja

Do people really thing this would work online? Seem like it woudl be a headache.

Mr.Green said:

Thats the assist people already knows it there, it gets less and less each cup.How is this all new to you?

Yoshichan said:
Played TT for 9 hours today, hard. My whole body aches, I'm sweating like a pig, I'm shaking (I can barely type this) and I feel like throwing up.

God damn, I should be careful with this game. By the way I'm 62 kilos.

:lol Damn dude I wish I had you endurance,make sure you be careful man.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Played TT for 9 hours today, hard. My whole body aches, I'm sweating like a pig, I'm shaking (I can barely type this) and I feel like throwing up.

KZObsessed

Yoshichan said:

omg eat something

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yoshichan said:
By the way I'm 62 kilos.

You were 62 kilos.

edit: I had to take a break for two days because my arm/back/neck were so sore... it was awesome.

Top Bottom