• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Illustrated names Serena Williams as "Sportsperson of the Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
ANd folks were mad the horse lost, then mad she dare look sexy on the cover.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-11419-1436462870-5.gif

Werk it gurl!!

That's called Queen status.

Heard about the uproar. People want to look at that and focus on skin showing rather than being seated comfy cozy on a throne.

She's an athlete. A top tier athlete. Of course she's going to be fit.

I don't even follow tennis and I know her name. And when I look at that picture I don't just see "sexy", I see "comfortable being at the top."

Slayven

Heard about the uproar. People want to look at that and focus on skin showing rather than being seated comfy cozy on a throne.

She's an athlete. A top tier athlete. Of course she's going to be fit.

I don't even follow tennis and I know her name. And when I look at that picture I don't just see "sexy", I see "comfortable being at the top."

No one ever called out anna kournikovam and unlike Anna, Serena can be sexy and rack up wins

Slayven

Truth. I think/thought SI caught some heat for the fact that Anna didn't actually win anything, but I don't recall it being as broadcasted as this.

Some dude wrote an article about how it is not a good look for Serena to be sexy, that it sends the wrong image. Motherfuckers stay concern trolling.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kournikova was such a sad case. People pooh-pooh her now, but she had phenomenal tennis talent, her performances in her youth were stand-out and her career trajectory looked so promising, but I think when she realized how much money she could make just by being a pretty face, the drive ran out, and she just tanked away her career.

Some dude wrote an article about how it is not a good look for Serena to be sexy, that it sends the wrong image. Motherfuckers stay concern trolling.

Concern trolling for clicks. I found the article, but don't want to link it since it doesn't deserve the traffic.

Because clearly it's not OK for a fit, successful, talented, confident black woman to be highlighted and celebrated as such. SMH.

IISANDERII

Slams are 4 times a year, sure, but even by that logic 21/4 = 5.25, so Serena has 5 and a quarter "Super Bowls" to Brady's 4.
Not even counting doubles and not to mention that the tennis season is much longer with many more matches, she has to play every single point, gets zero coaching help during matches, doesn't get to alter balls to her liking etc etc

Takuan

Concern trolling for clicks. I found the article, but don't want to link it since it doesn't deserve the traffic.

Because clearly it's not OK for a fit, successful, talented, confident black woman to be highlighted and celebrated as such. SMH.

You are bound to find people who will argue the "sexy" cover diminishes her achievements in some way or another. I'd ignore them, too. Let the gams free!

Malcolm Butler won that not Brady.

Serena deserves this.
Her domination is a sight to behold. I remember watching her win Wimbledon a couple years ago. The final was like an hour and 5 minutes long.

No. She was good, but Novak was better.

Put simply, Novak Djokovic got robbed. He dominated tennis even more than she did, and we are talking about Men's tennis which is orders of magnitude more competitive than Women's tennis.

And the horse, American Pharoah, won the fan's poll, in which Serena finished 11th out of 12th.

Still, the results didn't sit well with horse racing fans who voted early and often in SI's online poll including the 12 Sportsman of the Year finalists. American Pharoah earned 47 percent of the vote, beating out the World Series champion Kansas City Royals (29 percent) and soccer star Lionel Messi (6 percent).

Williams finished 11th in the voting.

Put simply, Novak Djokovic got robbed. He dominated tennis even more than she did, and we are talking about Men's tennis which is orders of magnitude more competitive than Women's tennis.
Well it is an American publication after all. Not surprising they would want one for their person of the year.

lol

Oh wait, this is from ksharp?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

lol

Oh wait, this is from ksharp?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Is that all you have to say? Posting a gif?

Serena took her ball and went home as soon as she lost to Roberta Vinci (lol) in the USO Semis. Novak went to all 4 finals, won 3 of them, and won the Masters Final in dominant fashion. Dude is just unbeatable at the moment, and playing against greats like Federer, Nadal and a red-hot Wawrinka.

Women's tennis has not recovered since the downfall of Venus, Sharapova due to injuries and early retirement of Henin, Clijsters, etc.

IMO, if we are talking about Americans only, American Pharoah deserved it more. Did something nobody was achieved in 35+ years and won even more hardware than anyone else in a single year.

bionic77

Didn't Tom Brady win his 4th Super Bowl this year?
All of Serenas wins are legit.

She is not a cheater and she is not a Trump supporter.

Brady can go and eat an extra large bag of dicks.

I never liked the aesthetics of Serenas game (I always prefer precision to power in tennis), but she always behaved with class on the court. No fake injury timeouts, no 4 minute bounce to try and get the other player off their game, no screaming, etc. She just focused on the ball in between the lines, the way you are taught to do. She could get a little testy after a loss when she was younger, but man people treated her so much more harshly than all the other teenagers who did the same thing.

Serena is an empowering woman and a much better role model than Rousey as far as empowered women go. Winning 3 out of 4 slams is very difficult and yes Novak Djokovic did the same this year but he's not American so the tiebreaker goes to Serena.

I never liked the aesthetics of Serenas game (I always prefer precision to power in tennis), but she always behaved with class on the court. No fake injury timeouts, no 4 minute bounce to try and get the other player off their game, no screaming, etc. She just focused on the ball in between the lines, the way you are taught to do. She could get a little testy after a loss when she was younger, but man people treated her so much more harshly than all the other teenagers who did the same thing.

Gee, I wonder why.

And yet they still treat her more harshly then others, it just takes different forms.

This is factually incorrect. She is probably the most disrespectful and unsportsmanlike when things don't go her way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTi21rl_4J0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcUIj5JdYZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1FlBcdi1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06BF9ff92QE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZUp_ouNWpI

John Mcenroe

We're talking about women's tennis here. Serena is disliked pretty much everywhere (even in the US!) because she is arrogant, brash, disrespectful of her peers and unsportsmanlike.

Federer has achieved much more than she has and is loved universally. Difference is the man is graceful both in victory and defeat.

We're talking about women's tennis here. Serena is disliked pretty much everywhere (even in the US!) because she is arrogant, brash, disrespectful of her peers and unsportsmanlike.

Federer has achieved much more than she has and is loved universally. Different is the man is graceful both in victory and defeat.

I'm sure that's why. Come on man.

Madness

I'd put her and Curry 1a and 1b. Her winning out right is not an issue for me though.

Same, what Curry has done not only last year, but this year while it's still happening, I'd have given it to him, but Serena, even despite not winning the calendar grand slam, has been sooooo dominant, so I'm okay with this.

I'm sure that's why. Come on man.

Compare Federer and Serena. Two of the best in their sports. Compare their demeanor in and out of the courts. You'll see why.

And result of the fan vote:

American Pharoah 47% 279,820 votes
Kansas City R 29% 170,972 votes
Messi 6% 35,839 votes
Stephen Curry 4% 25,646 votes
Jordan Spieth 3% 15,147 votes
Simone Biles 2% 14,571 votes
Carli Lloyd 2% 13,004 votes
Thomas Davis 2% 10,303 votes
Djokovic 1% 7,979 votes
Ronda 1% 7,864 votes
Serena 1% 5,612 votes
Bolt 1% 4,032 votes

jett

D-Member
I was rooting for her to get the slam, too bad she cracked under the pressure against a nobody. I guess that's the problem with the WTA, the players are often widely inconsistent.

I don't watch all that much sports but I have no issues with her getting this. She dominated.

IMO, if we are talking about Americans only, American Pharoah deserved it more. Did something nobody was achieved in 35+ years and won even more hardware than anyone else in a single year.

Well I guess it would've been funny to see a horse on the cover. :p

B.O.O.M

Didn't Tom Brady win his 4th Super Bowl this year?

New England Cheatriots shouldn't be uttered in this discussion tbh....

How did I do NFL Gaf?

OT: Very well deserved! On a related note, and this could most definitely just be me, I feel like her legs are slimmer in the cover photo than they should be. Could be a mistake on my part tho

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Good choice, but I personally would've gone with Steph Curry.

Brought the Warriors out of years of franchise misery, got them a Championship and continued that into the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom