• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Illustrated names Serena Williams as "Sportsperson of the Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serena was sooo close to the winning all the Grand Slams and had an incredible year. She has always been an incredible bright spot for US tennis as well as getting more minorities into tennis.
ksharp is right about how she handles loses when it happens.

Kinda surprised that American Pharaoh didn't win since the horse won the Triple Crown which is an extreme rarity. Then again having a sexy photoshoot of a horse would be weird.

Serena was sooo close to the winning all the Grand Slams and had an incredible year. She has always been an incredible bright spot for US tennis as well as getting more minorities into tennis.

Kinda surprised that American Pharaoh didn't win since the horse won the Triple Crown which is an extreme rarity. Then again having a sexy photoshoot of a horse would be weird.

Wanting a horse to win sportsPERSON of the year is the dumbest shit. His fellow Horses must be furious though.

Until this thread I didn't know who or what American Pharaoh is. I've heard about Serena's quests for all things slam even though I don't follow tennis.

Perhaps athletic accomplishments combined with who can drive clicks/magazines is key. I'm just one guy, though. That cover would make me do a double take.

clemenx

Banned
I think its fair to compare tennis player to tennis player so I don't see how Djokovic's year wasn't better.

But whatever, the horse didn't win so it's all good

MIMIC

Banned
No. She was good, but Novak was better.

Put simply, Novak Djokovic got robbed. He dominated tennis even more than she did, and we are talking about Men's tennis which is orders of magnitude more competitive than Women's tennis.

And the horse, American Pharoah, won the fan's poll, in which Serena finished 11th out of 12th.

Now, I'm Novak's biggest fan but I think Serena definitely deserves this more than Novak. Serena may not have won the GRAND slam, but she won her 2nd SERENA slam this year. And the last time it happened....when Serena herself did it back in 2003 (and before that, it was Martina in 1985). So she already achieved an incredibly rare feat this year....just not the one everyone was hoping she would achieve.

And yes, Novak dominated, but when he lost at the French, all eyes were on Serena.

Volimar

Sportsperson is fine. Her un-sportspersonlike conduct is not. Don't like it from male athletes and don't like it from her either. Regardless she's one of the best athletes of my lifetime and it sucks the shallow hate she gets especially abroad.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
First I've heard of Serena being 'disliked' by EVERYONE lol..

She is dominating her sport in the same sort of way Tiger dominated the PGA in his prime.

People who seriously think a horse should be sportsPERSON of the year are truly morons.

kris.

Banned
I'm being homer as fuck, but it shoulda been the Royals. All the shit they pulled off this season? Man.

Congrats to Serena though.

First I've heard of Serena being 'disliked' by EVERYONE lol..

She is dominating her sport in the same sort of way Tiger dominated the PGA in his prime.

People who seriously think a horse should be sportsPERSON of the year are truly morons.

I wouldn't say disliked by everyone. But she isn't exactly a popular champ, not the way, for instance, Federer is (given they have achieved relatively similar levels of success/domination). People in attendance are usually rooting against her

Just a routinely bad poster, as far as I know.

Sure. Okay... coming from you it's not surprising. Not sure what I have done to you, to be honest. Not sure why you are going all ad hominem on me here. I respect Serena as a champion, but there happens to be one tennisman that played better that year. I stated facts to prove my case and I get labelled as a bad poster? Just because I didn't approve of Serena being chosen as SOTY?

I wouldn't say disliked by everyone. But she isn't exactly a popular champ, not the way, for instance, Federer is (given they have achieved relatively similar levels of success/domination). People in attendance are usually rooting against her

Sure. Okay... coming from you it's not surprising. Not sure what I have done to you, to be honest. Not sure why you are going all ad hominem on me here. I respect Serena as a champion, but there happens to be one tennisman that played better that year. I stated facts to prove my case and I get labelled as a bad poster? Just because I didn't approve of Serena being chosen as SOTY?

why the fuck do you keep bringing up men's tennis when you yourself said:
We're talking about women's tennis here.

you're a fucking joke

BigDug13

Has a non-human ever won SportsPerson of the Year before? Not sure why a horse was even on the fan poll on the website of the SportsPERSON of the year award.

BigDug13

The award has gone to teams/pairs of people in the past.

But thats like saying "tied for first" in a category each of them was eligible for. That's a little different than having he option to vote a species that is ineligible for the award.

Give the jockey or trainer the nomination and I don't have a problem.

why the fuck do you keep bringing up men's tennis when you yourself said:

you're a fucking joke

Context. You could use some.

I only brought up men's tennis as Djokovic statistically had a better year than she did (even more when you consider the level of competition) - which is relevant for the thread.

Jimrpg

noooo way

Steph curry shoulda been sportsperson of the year. How bad were the warriors in the last 40 years? Curry is transcendant. He is literally changing the way the sport is played.

KazenY2J

She keeps Sharapova's soul in an Amulet around her Neck.
ap_aptopix_australian_open_tennis_70458686.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Out of curiosity, does Venus still play? And if so, on a scale of 1-10 how does she stack up next to her sister?

Yeah, Venus still plays. She actually beat Serena recently; IIRC, it was either this year or last year. It was at a smaller tournament, not a slam. Venus is no pushover; I'd say she's a 7 or 8 against Serena. They played at the U.S. Open this year and Serena won in 3 sets.

Venus has declined waayyyyyyyyyyyy more than Serena has though, and it's sometimes sad seeing her lose these days. Her movement is just depressing; she was one of the best movers on the tour, especially at Wimbledon. When you see her unable to get to balls (or easily wrong footed), it's sad.

But she recently made a semi-resurgence. She's back in the top 10.

Couldn't agree more MIMIC.

But biggest fan? When you sport a shirtless Novak avatar for a year, we can talk. ;)

Lol. <3

What about on Facebook? :)

Wow what a joke, as great as she is at tennis (my favourite sport), I really do not like Serena because she is rude, arrogant and very self centered from what I have seen, the complete opposite to the other greatest player that has ever lived (Roger) who seems to be a very polite person and a great sportsman. I think being a good sportsman should really encompass how you treat your peers in said sport.

Wow what a joke, as great as she is at tennis (my favourite sport), I really do not like Serena because she is rude, arrogant and very self centered from what I have seen, the complete opposite to the other greatest player that has ever lived (Roger) who seems to be a very polite person and a great sportsman. I think being a good sportsman should really encompass how you treat your peers in said sport.

Cry me a river.

norm9

I don't get this idea that an athlete has to be likeable. They spend all their time being the best at what they do, they don't need to also add time for pr and learning the rules for tea time.

Who really cares. Serena's fantastic at her craft and she's getting recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom