• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sportsfriends |OT| Pass, Punch, Push, Pole

ultron87

u7J3gu7.png

After years of development, Sportsfriends is finally coming out for PS3 and PS4!

What is it?

Sportsfriends is a collection of 4 award winning local multiplayer games focusing on simple, accessible, multiplayer fun while still being incredibly deep for those who choose to master each game. Each game is meant to be fun to play and fun to watch and the whole package is meant to be perfect for events and parties.

What are the four games?

I'm so glad you asked. The games are...

36u2yEb.jpg

psEyvC9.jpg
uEbMA5M.gif

Hokra is a 4 player minimalist sports game. Players are split into teams of two and have to hold the ball in their area of the map as long as possible. Passing and communicating with your teammate is key. Controls are really simple with a single button passing when you have the ball and dashing/tackling when you don't.

Hokra Links:
Gameplay Footage: http://vimeo.com/92931610
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4SVMenu9s

Razo43a.png

36LYjky.jpg
EHTBnHC.gif

BaraBariBall is a retro styled fighting game for 2 or 4 players. At first glance it plays a lot like a game from the Smash Bros series, but with the added twist of a ball that is used for scoring. You score by dunking the ball in the opponent's side of the water. But don't get too focused on the ball because falling into the water yourself will lose your team a point.

BaraBariBall Links:
Trailer: http://vimeo.com/40992833
How to Play: http://strangeflavor.net/bbb/howtoplay/
Gameplay Footage: http://vimeo.com/92930660
BBB Grand Finals from UFGT9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ea-F7WVFw

vvdiqUB.jpg

JYXwv8X.jpg
ICMZJ23.jpg

Johann Sebastian Joust is a no-graphics playground game that uses motion controllers for up to 7 players (4 on PS4). Each player has a controller in hand. If it moves too fast they are out. Your goal is to get the other players out through any means necessary including, but not limited to, pushing, pulling, kicking, and pillow or shoe tossing. This is all complicated by having to protect your own controller.

Special Super Important Note: You do NOT need PS Move controller to play JS Joust. You can use Dualshock controllers just fine.

Joust Links
Trailer: http://vimeo.com/31946199

Y6Nobgn.png

BF2PnspCIAACfSe.png
poleriders_1_by_realghostvids-d72nwsh.gif

Super Pole Riders is a physics based pole vaulting competition for 2 or 4 players. Every player has a pole. There's a ball on the wire above you and a goal at either end. Use the pole to push or kick the ball into your opponents goal. It is simple and hilarious and has a bear.

Super Pole Riders Links:
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQg-eVAw7E&feature=youtu.be
Gameplay: http://vimeo.com/92930947

BACK TO THE FAQ FORMAT!

Where can I get it?

It'll be available on PSN for PS3 and PS4 on May 6th for $14.99 in North American and May 6th for €13.99 in Europe.

Important Note: If you buy it on PS3 you get the PS4 version for free. But if you buy the PS4 version you don't get the PS3 version. Apparently this odd arrangement is a long story. So that, combined with the fact that the version of Joust on PS3 is superior, means you should probably buy the PS3 version?

What are the version differences?

PS4 version features:

- DualShock 4 wireless controller support for all the games
- Play JS Joust with up to four players
- Play JS Joust with DualShock 4, making special use of its speaker and LED

PS3 version features:

- DualShock 3 support for all the games
- Play JS Joust with up to seven players
- Play JS Joust with DualShock 3
- Load your own music files into JS Joust!

PC/Mac Version?

It is supposed to be coming very soon after the console version. They have also planned to release a beta build to Kickstarter backers around the time of the PS release.

Local Only?

Yep! All these games are local only and have no online play options. You'll need to gather your friends and enemies around the console and a TV to play them. They also have effectively no single player content. I can assure you from experience that almost anyone can play these games. Especially Joust.

E42HhqY.jpg

rpowelll

Neo Member
Really excited to see these games finally getting a wider release. I feel like the games press has been talking about these games for years now (especially J.S. Joust) with no way to play them outside of conventions.

Cannot be more excited. Along with the brilliant Towerfall Acsencion, it's couch play renaissance!

And my Move controllers are all ready after coming out for Octodad. *grin*

ReaperXL7

One question I had about Joust was how do you play this at a park? Most of the videos I have seen have been people playing this out in a park/field but how are they setting the console up to actually play it?

I am loving all of these local co op games releasing on PS4 recently, all I need now is Samurai Gun and I think I will be good to go for awhile

Ibuki

Banned
One question I had about Joust was how do you play this at a park? Most of the videos I have seen have been people playing this out in a park/field but how are they setting the console up to actually play it?

I am loving all of these local co op games releasing on PS4 recently, all I need now is Samurai Gun and I think I will be good to go for awhile

One of the photos I saw they were just using a mac on a cart, so that might be how.

ultron87

Usually when you see people playing Joust outside it is with a Macbook, some speakers, and the game on it. Obviously that will be a little tougher with the console version. So you may need to wait for the computer version to come out for that experience.

Once great thing you should still be able to do with the console version is attempt Full House Joust where everyone starts in a different room of a house and then commences the hunt. It leads to a very tense game of hide and seek.

Zia

Early Game of the Year contender. Seriously. Each game is worth (at least) $10 separately, yet they've packaged them together, added an attractive UI and apparently some secrets. Love.

Ionic

I'm fairly certain it's usually just running on a laptop.

OnPoint

Early Game of the Year contender. Seriously. Each game is worth (at least) $10 separately, yet they've packaged them together, added an attractive UI and apparently some secrets. Love.

There are most certainly secrets, I saw one of them at PAX, though the devs denied its existence when asked.

So, Hokra... 4P only? or could just 2 or 3 people play. TowerFall has finally broken me down to get a 3rd DS4 but I'm not planning on a 4th anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm also the only one of my friends (that live locally) with a PS4.

Archurro

Got a review copy, this game is easily $15 well spent if you have friends readily available. However, you need to have 4 controllers. This game easily justifies my controller purchases though.

aro52

Trophy list, for those interested in such things.
And for anyone that doesn't want "secret" Trophies spoiled, 12 of the 14 are apparently hidden.

EDIT: One of the 2 non-hidden Trophies is "Get On Top - First to 1000 victories. Go! (Gold)"
I wonder if this is among local system profiles, or EVERYONE! Wouldn't that be devilishly amusing.

EDIT 2: Anyone see any deals out there on DualShock 4's and Move controllers? Gonna have to stock up!

tanuki

Great to see something I backed on Kickstarter finally reach fruition. Conveniently, I've also just recently acquired a couple of secondhand PS3 controllers. Gonna have to invite friends round to play this.

ultron87

So, Hokra... 4P only? or could just 2 or 3 people play. TowerFall has finally broken me down to get a 3rd DS4 but I'm not planning on a 4th anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm also the only one of my friends (that live locally) with a PS4.
Hokra actually has an option to split a single controller so that it controls two players (left stick and L1 for P1, other side for P2). So you don't need 4 controllers if you don't mind sharing a controller. By extension that means you could play 1v1 or 2v1 if you can split your attention and control both pieces on a team.

i wish this was out THIS week

having a party for my birthday and this would go over so well with my group of friends

I've wanted to play this for so long!

Hokra actually has an option to split a single controller so that it controls two players (left stick and L1 for P1, other side for P2). So you don't need 4 controllers if you don't mind sharing a controller. By extension that means you could play 1v1 or 2v1 if you can split your attention and control both pieces on a team.

Whoa. That sounds like some mad fun, particularly 2v1. Thanks for the info!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Got a review copy, this game is easily $15 well spent if you have friends readily available. However, you need to have 4 controllers. This game easily justifies my controller purchases though.
It's $30 though. It's a little spicy considering that I'll never play Joust due to the equipment requirements.

ultron87

It's $30 though. It's a little spicy considering that I'll never play Joust due to the equipment requirements.

Where are you seeing $30? It is definitely $15.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/25/sportsfriends-coming-to-ps3-and-ps4-on-may-6th/

We’re releasing Sportsfriends on PS3 and PS4 on May 6th for $14.99. That’s in less than two weeks!

And Joust doesn't have any more equipment requirements than the other games, since you can use Dualshocks. (Unless you're talking about the PC version, not sure how it'll work there.)

Zia

There are most certainly secrets, I saw one of them at PAX, though the devs denied its existence when asked.

Yesssssss. I'm desperately hoping for unlockable TENNNES, which I'd kill for as part of this compilation but seems pretty unlikely, expecting unlockable Spelunky character(s).

ultron87

Based on the Trophy List it looks like there is at least an unlockable version of
Get On Top.

I have no idea if I should actually spoiler that or not.

Dr.Hadji

Finally, about to get some new blood on the scene. Kind of tired being one of the two best Bari Ball players in existence. I anticipate being challenged in the future.

KirbyKid

Finally, about to get some new blood on the scene. Kind of tired being one of the two best Bari Ball players in existence. I anticipate being challenged in the future.

True that. 2/2 here.

It's almost time for us to start rolling out the bold claims about BaraBariBall. I don't want to tilt the scales too soon. Get your hands on it and I'll meet you on the battlefield!

Archurro

I've have 4-5 sessions of all the games already, every game is fucking fantastic, my favorite being Hokra. The map editor for Hokra is pretty great, and I made a soccer variant map where the goal area is blocked off such that you can only pass the ball in but can't actually get in yourself. I also did a hide-and-seek variant of JSJ where everyone hid their controllers in the room we were playing in, so the goal of the game was to find everyone else's controller and shake it.

Easily one of my favorite games of the year. Worth buying multiple DS3/DS4s

Does anyone know where I can get the alpha version of Joust? I just bought 6 move controllers and really want to play it. I'm planning on buying PS3 and Mac regardless

I really can't emphasize enough how much fun Joust is. One of the best party games ever.

I am looking forward to having to buy 5 move controllers just so I can play this at any time.

Dude! Gamestop is having a promo right now. Basically you can get 3 used move controllers for around 40.

It's a : Buy 2 Used Accessories under $20 and get one free

I think the promo ends this weekend too.

You either had to preorder the game or back it on Kickstarter I think

I know! Wondering if someone had it. xD I'm having friends over this weekend and want to play it!

oracrest

Dude! Gamestop is having a promo right now. Basically you can get 3 used move controllers for around 40.

It's a : Buy 2 Used Accessories under $20 and get one free

I think the promo ends this weekend too.

I know! Wondering if someone had it. xD I'm having friends over this weekend and want to play it!

oh, awesome! Thanks :)

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Public reminder for those with both consoles who didn't pledge for the KS.

Important Note: If you buy it on PS3 you get the PS4 version for free. But if you buy the PS4 version you don't get the PS3 version. Apparently this odd arrangement is a long story. So that, combined with the fact that the version of Joust on PS3 is superior, means you should probably buy the PS3 version?

KirbyKid

As a developer of BaraBariBall, I'm having quite the experience today reading the reviews that are popping up.

It's weird because I'm a player, developer, and critic. 3/4 of the games in Sportsfriends I had nothing to do with so it's like I have an unbiased player view of those. Then as a critic I'm looking closely at the language used to talk about these games and my brain-gears start spinning out of controller. Then as a dev, my posture is just to sit back and pretend like the internet only updates when I check on it every now and then.

Fun day.

Archurro

After about ~10 hours logged, Sportsfriends is my favorite game of the year so far. Might consider rebuying PS3 versions with move controllers for 7 player JSJ, but was definitely worth the ~90 bucks I invested for 2 controllers.

Top Bottom