• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sportsfriends |OT| Pass, Punch, Push, Pole

Beckx

My PS3 code was ready on my humble account page this morning, redeemed and now have both PS3 & PS4 versions queued up. Happy release day sportsfolks!

oracrest

I am so pumped to grab this on PS4. Is JS Joust as good with Duelshock 4s as it is with Move controllers?

I guess PS4 is restricted to just 5 players, but PS3 supports 7. The more people, the better this game is. I have always played it with a move controller, and it feels great as something to hold during this game. I imagine the duelshock would be a little more awkward to hold.

I guess PS4 is restricted to just 5 players, but PS3 supports 7. The more people, the better this game is. I have always played it with a move controller, and it feels great as something to hold during this game. I imagine the duelshock would be a little more awkward to hold.

PS4 is up to 4 players

tanuki

How do you play Joust with Dualshock 3s since those have no lights to tell you when you've been knocked out?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been hearing people talk about Sportsfriends and "JS Joust" but I had no idea what they were until now! They sound awesome.

ultron87

Got it downloaded to both PS3 and PS4 last night, since I have the 4 Dualshocks for PS4 but want to play at least 6 player Joust with PS3. Didn't have anyone around to actually play anything, so will be trying that this weekend hopefully.

How do you play Joust with Dualshock 3s since those have no lights to tell you when you've been knocked out?

I think it just rumbles a ton if you get knocked out.

polychron

Anyone found any of the secrets for this? I found the obvious one, (the secret menu in J.S. Joust), but I'm sure there are others...

Chairhome

This is probably a stupid question, but can I use a move controller on PS4 without the camera? I'm just thinking that since it doesn't actually need to track your position, it might work, but not sure if it would even register without a camera plugged in. Planning on getting a ps4 camera soon, but haven't had the chance yet...

Anyone found any of the secrets for this? I found the obvious one, (the secret menu in J.S. Joust), but I'm sure there are others...
details? :-D

zerosyohon

Neo Member
I have the ps4 version (hurray crossbuy). The camera is not needed at all for PS move controllers. It is not tracking you in a positional space. Its only reading the accelerometer and gyroscope in the controllers for the game. You can navigate the menus and everything with just a move controller. However only JSJoust can be played with the moves. Everything else requires controller. But camera is not needed to enjoy Sportsfriends.

Also as for secrets -https://mobile.twitter.com/zerosyphon/status/463915070162870272/photo/1
Saw how to unlock it while playing in the super pole riders tourney at pax east 2014. However.. I promised to not share how just yet.

Chairhome

I have the ps4 version (hurray crossbuy). The camera is not needed at all for PS move controllers. It is not tracking you in a positional space. Its only reading the accelerometer and gyroscope in the controllers for the game. You can navigate the menus and everything with just a move controller. However only JSJoust can be played with the moves. Everything else requires controller. But camera is not needed to enjoy Sportsfriends.

Thanks! Now I can play at least 3 players :-D

tanuki

Just installed this, the presentation is top notch. I really need to organize a gaming night and get some Sportsfriends and drinks in. Pretty sure it's gonna be spectacular.

KalBalboa

Banned
Thats a weird restriction

Does the system itself not recognize more that 4?

I think it's more weird that the PS3 did seven, truthfully, but yeah... I wish the PS4 did seven bluetooth controllers too for sports games, old arcade ports (X-Men), and things like this.

I think it's more weird that the PS3 did seven, truthfully, but yeah... I wish the PS4 did seven bluetooth controllers too for sports games, old arcade ports (X-Men), and things like this.

I mean its fine

I have no intention of buying 7 dualshock 4's

lol

Fuck, didn't know about the cross buy thing, that's bullshit.

Wouldn't use the PS3 version often but it would have been awesome to have for when there are more than 4 people over for Joust.

zerosyohon

Neo Member
From what I've heard and my understanding the ps4 has a limit of 4 Bluetooth devices because they wanted to make sure that audio can stream to the controllers as well. Been following them on twitter and this had been a point of contention. However what I find weird is that when you connect the Dualshock 4 to a computer via Bluetooth (now I have windows 8.1) it will detect not just the controller but a Bluetooth headset that as of right now you can't access (at least under windows). So if that's the case they are actually connecting 8 devices to the ps4 when all 4 controllers are hooked up.
I'm not privy to the inner workings so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just find it weird is all.

Jhriad

My PS3 code was ready on my humble account page this morning, redeemed and now have both PS3 & PS4 versions queued up. Happy release day sportsfolks!

If I redeemed my code for the PS3 version do I get the PS4 version as well?

zerosyohon

Neo Member
Backer codes no matter the redeem order bag you both versions. Only when you have to buy does everyone suggest buying the ps3 version so you get the ps4 version through cross buy.
Buying ps4 first only gets you ps4 version.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
For what it's worth, I redeemed my Humble code from the store website and I got to download it without problems in my PS3.

KirbyKid

Fuck, didn't know about the cross buy thing, that's bullshit.

Wouldn't use the PS3 version often but it would have been awesome to have for when there are more than 4 people over for Joust.

Don't give up just yet.

If that magical day draws near where you plan to have more than 4 people over for Joust.... let me know.

Is there a way to play Joust with a mix of Moves and DS4 controllers? I only have two of each and would like to get a four player game going.

Don't give up just yet.

If that magical day draws near where you plan to have more than 4 people over for Joust.... let me know.

Not so magical haha, was planning on having people over this weekend to play. I will probably just be a sucker and fork out the cash for it. I just wish there was some sort of disclaimer before I bought it.

oracrest

I am ready

gNrZvLf.jpg

Omg...this might be the best party game ever created...Sony should seriously bundle this game with ps4 and some move controllers...

Fantastic experience!! Makes me want to be in college again!!!

Dwayne

As a developer of BaraBariBall, I'm having quite the experience today reading the reviews that are popping up.

BaraBariBall is excellent, thanks a lot for the work you put in. Played it at home with my wife and then today at work with a co-worker, and despite them losing every game everyone thoroughly enjoyed it :)

I'm definitely getting this. This is exactly the kind of social game I'd play and could see it being loads of fun. Merely watching it is already fun, actually. Congrats to the Die Gute Fabrik! And Sony would be wise to bundle this game with the Move like somebody suggested. Johann Sebastian Joust might as well be its "killer app."

Such an awesome collection of games. Hokra is probably my favorite, though Pole Riders is hilarious. Need to spend more time with BBB, I'm not very good at it.

A friend pointed out two hidden games: one is like vs QWOP and is awesome and the other is like a fish eye view of Pong. The first game is u, r, d, l x2 then X button on the main menu. Forgot what the other is.

KirbyKid

Friendship isn't some pie in the sky concept.

Not so magical haha, was planning on having people over this weekend to play. I will probably just be a sucker and fork out the cash for it. I just wish there was some sort of disclaimer before I bought it.

I wasn't joking about planning around 4+ Jousters. That wasn't supposed to come across as sarcastic.

I was trying to help him out to avoid a double purchase.

Tapejara

Pole Riders and JS Joust are awesome. Not feeling BBB, but I'm sure I'll warm up to it when I can get four people playing.

This and Octodad are tempting me to pick up some more Move controllers.

KirbyKid

BaraBariBall is excellent, thanks a lot for the work you put in. Played it at home with my wife and then today at work with a co-worker, and despite them losing every game everyone thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you had fun. We hope that the game is robust enough for years of solid competition. We tweaked so much and put in so many balance details that we're still uncovering new techniques all the time. Train up and I hope to see you at a future BBB tournament!

Pole Riders and JS Joust are awesome. Not feeling BBB, but I'm sure I'll warm up to it when I can get four people playing.

Some like starting with 4 players. Others like the focus of 1v1. Let me know if you have any questions or if you come up with any tips that might help other new players.

McFadge

Played a bit of this with my siblings tonight; really like the games!

BBB might be my favourite (though Hokra might take its place once I get 4 people together to play), Joust was fun even though it was played in terrible conditions, and Pole Riders is wacky (boy can you get some crazy movement going on!)

Regarding BBB, it seems like there's a bit of overscan going on? I find players can move off left, right, and bottom screen. I check my PS4's screen adjustment and it seemed to be lined up fine, then I went and changed the adjustment to be much smaller but I had the same problem. Slightly off topic now, but I found the subtitles of Infamous: Second Son aligned right to the bottom of my screen, and now I'm wondering if there's a problem in my setup? The PS4 is calibrated correctly or overscan (white corners visible and perfectly aligned to screen edges), so could my receiver be doing something weird?

KirbyKid

Played a bit of this with my siblings tonight; really like the games!

BBB might be my favourite (though Hokra might take its place once I get 4 people together to play), Joust was fun even though it was played in terrible conditions, and Pole Riders is wacky (boy can you get some crazy movement going on!)

Regarding BBB, it seems like there's a bit of overscan going on? I find players can move off left, right, and bottom screen. I check my PS4's screen adjustment and it seemed to be lined up fine, then I went and changed the adjustment to be much smaller but I had the same problem. Slightly off topic now, but I found the subtitles of Infamous: Second Son aligned right to the bottom of my screen, and now I'm wondering if there's a problem in my setup? The PS4 is calibrated correctly or overscan (white corners visible and perfectly aligned to screen edges), so could my receiver be doing something weird?

Thanks.

You are supposed to be able to move around off screen on the BOTTOM of BBB levels and not die if you're very careful. The left and right sides should be solid like a Street Fighter level where you can press against it and still be on screen. I'd look into the settings I have but my PS3 died last night. So when I get my PS4 working I'll run some tests. I'll also ask the other Sportsfriends what their setup is.

I am dumb excited for this! I'm having a housewarming party in 10 days and wanted to do a tourney... I only have 2 DS4's. Is Joust any fun with two players or should I bite the bullet and go buy two move controllers? I just can't imagine using them for anything but SportsFriends.

True that. 2/2 here.

It's almost time for us to start rolling out the bold claims about BaraBariBall. I don't want to tilt the scales too soon. Get your hands on it and I'll meet you on the battlefield!

I got 5th in BBB at Evo.

So I'm technically 5th best in the world at that game.

*cough*

Such an awesome collection of games. Hokra is probably my favorite, though Pole Riders is hilarious. Need to spend more time with BBB, I'm not very good at it.

A friend pointed out two hidden games: one is like vs QWOP and is awesome and the other is like a fish eye view of Pong. The first game is u, r, d, l x2 then X button on the main menu. Forgot what the other is.

Oh, shit. QWOP 3D is in this?

Man. I reeeeeally hope we got Tennnes. That is by far my favorite of all the Sportsfriends-associated games.

McFadge

Does anybody know if you can use Dualshock 3s and Move controllers simultaneously for Joust on the PS3?

Top Bottom