• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sage00 said:
The quality of discussion in these threads has taken a sharp downturn recently (if you can call it discussion, more like a childish back and forth of passive aggressive insults veiled as 'critique' of certain shows). It's becoming very irritating to read.
Who are you, I've never seen you post in these threads once, and you make one post just to complain. Be gone, heathen!

trejo

Sage00 said:
The quality of discussion in these threads has taken a sharp downturn recently (if you can call it discussion, more like a childish back and forth of passive aggressive insults veiled as 'critique' of certain shows). It's becoming very irritating to read.
Yeah? Well, my dad can totally beat up your dad.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Lafiel said:
Who are you, I've never seen you post in these threads once, and you make one post just to complain. Be gone, heathen!
You complain when I post and complain when I don't. What can I do to please you, Lafiel? :mad:

jman2050

Sage00 said:

Where the hell have you been the past year plus change?

Sage00 said:
I think your taking this discussions more seriously than anyone participating in it. Most everything said in this thread is taken in jest.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
Oh, that won't happen. It's as silly a comparison as the Madoka/K-ON comparison I was trolling you with. The REAL showdown is between Cromartie High School and Azumanga.

YOU BITCHES READY?
tZcmc.gif

Cute girls doing funny things vs Manly men doing funny things.

This is indeed a difficult battle.

Wandering Son 11:
And so ends one of the best anime I've seen in a long time. There were a lot of great moments here with most of the characters. I loved seeing the scene of Nitori trying on the dress, and his conversation with Anna.

I think it speaks to the strength of this show that I can't really think of any real issues with the show across any of the episodes. The characters were all really strong and believable, and I think the show had really strong pacing and direction throughout the whole series. I'll get around to reading the manga soon.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Hellsing321 said:
I think your taking this discussions more seriously than anyone participating in it. Most everything said in this thread is taken in jest.
Perhaps you have a bit more faith in people than I do. Well, that's a nice way to live life! :p

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Wandering Son 11:
And so ends one of the best anime I've seen in a long time. There were a lot of great moments here with most of the characters. I loved seeing the scene of Nitori trying on the dress, and his conversation with Anna.

I think it speaks to the strength of this show that I can't really think of any real issues with the show across any of the episodes. The characters were all really strong and believable, and I think the show had really strong pacing and direction throughout the whole series. I'll get around to reading the manga soon.
I need more time to let the whole thing sink in, but I think Wandering Son will make it into my top 10 favorite anime ever. Just everything about it was so well done.

iavi

Branduil said:
That wasn't what it was actually about, though.

What I got:
She makes wish for boy she likes. Becomes magical girl. Finds out that she's technically dead. friend admits that she likes crush, says she'll confess if she doesn't. Girl feels trapped, since there's no way that she could confess; no way that he could ever like somebody like her, regardless of the fact that she's no outwardly different than the day previous. These silly emotions get the best of her. Kyubei admits that it's all going according to keikaku. She turns into witch. Other magical girl dies fighting her.

I'm guessing that they mean for that to be the whole point of it. Simple shit like that tears at the heartstrings of girls her age, which makes them ideal candidates for the whole magical girl process etc etc. However, in my eyes, it's a justification that makes the end result no less stupid.

Hellsing321 said:
I need more time to let the whole thing sink in, but I think Wandering Son will make it into my top 10 favorite anime ever. Just everything about it was so well done.

Yeah, I have it just barely sitting outside of my own Top 10, but it's definitely pretty close. I have a lot of stuff closely bunched together up there in my mind.

(Yes, I actually keep a regularly updated list)

trejo

Hellsing321 said:
Yeah, it really is. I had a number of issues with it here and there but it managed to overcome them all in the end. A real standout, to be sure.

tiff

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
I'm not one for lists or ratings but Wandering Son was exceptionally well-done, yeah.

Branduil

Miri said:
What I got:
She makes wish for boy she likes. Becomes magical girl. Finds out that she's technically dead. friend admits that she likes crush, says she'll confess if she doesn't. Girl feels trapped, since there's no way that she could confess; no way that he could ever like somebody like her, regardless of the fact that she's no outwardly different than the day previous. These silly emotions get the best of her. Kyubei admits that it's all going according to keikaku. She turns into witch. Other magical girl dies fighting her.

I'm guessing that they mean for that to be the whole point of it. Simple shit like that tears at the heartstrings of girls her age, which makes them ideal candidates for the whole magical girl process. It's a justification that makes the end result no less stupid.
The boy was just a plot device. The arc was actually about her being a proud white knight to the point of recklessness. This was made especially obvious in the episode about Kyouko's backstory.

flawfuls

Proelite said:
What show is this?
http://i.imgur.com/r8ZdQ.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426702"]Dororon Enma[/URL]. It's probably a good idea to just post the link. That isn't exactly SFW.

Edit: Or you could just edit it out.

jman2050

Miri said:
What I got:

I'm guessing that they mean for that to be the whole point of it. Simple shit like that tears at the heartstrings of girls her age, which makes them ideal candidates for the whole magical girl process. It's a justification that makes the end result no less stupid.

It's certainly melodramatic, but not overly so.
It seems like you're glossing over the whole "I've locked myself into having to risk my life fight witches forever with no hope of backing out and now I realize I did that for a really stupid reason." I mean, the whole thing about having an unrequited crush works in concert with the fact that she irreversibly screwed herself over with nothing to show for it. Pretty sure most people would buckle under that kind of realization but, then again, it's not like I've ever been a magical girl soooo.

EDIT - Also what Branduil said, though I'm responding more directly to your point about her actions being "unbelievable."

zeroshiki

Hellsing321 said:

What? No. What do you mean? I am deadly serious in everything.

Lelouch > Amuro.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Branduil said:
The boy was just a plot device. The arc was actually about her being a proud white knight to the point of recklessness. This was made especially obvious in the episode about Kyouko's backstory.
Which is a problem because if the boy is "just a plot device" then it shows how shallow the show really is. If he's just being used as a way to "show" something, he's not a character, he's a flat board. Likewise, if they needed that cardboard cutout to justify bringing Sayaka
into becoming a witch
, then it shows how shallow HER character is and that her only purpose is to
become a plot device herself to drive the exhibition of OMG, meguca is suffering
. If everyone is just a cardboard cutout plot device to
make Homura go Bill Murray
, then that's a tremendous weakness of plot right there. Having a sophistic perspective on plot like that is dangerous because it focuses too much on the ends rather than the means, but literature and media is about the journey, not JUST the destination.

BTW, understand that I don't share this view of Madoka, but labeling entire characters as "plot devices" in SRS BZNSS shows is not a good thing. It is in fact a bad thing, since it exposes incredible weakness in the writing (which definitely isn't Madoka's strong suit).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
Which is a problem because if the boy is "just a plot device" then it shows how shallow the show really is. If he's just being used as a way to "show" something, he's not a character, he's a flat board. Likewise, if they needed that cardboard cutout to justify bringing Sayaka
into becoming a witch
become a plot device herself to drive the exhibition of OMG, meguca is suffering
, then that's a tremendous weakness of plot right there. Having a sophistic perspective on plot like that is dangerous because it focuses too much on the ends rather than the means, but literature and media is about the journey, not JUST the destination.

BTW, understand that I don't share this view of Madoka, but labeling entire characters as "plot devices" in SRS BZNSS shows is not a good thing. It is in fact a bad thing, since it exposes incredible weakness in the writing (which definitely isn't Madoka's strong suit).

Madoka isn't really about the characters and much more about subverting the Magical Girl tropes though.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
into becoming a witch
There's nothing wrong with characters being used as plot devices, assuming they're not a main character. Julia in Cowboy Bebop is nothing more than a plot device and it's one of the greatest anime ever made. Not every character in a show can or should be developed fully.

Like I said before, I think this is the problem when you go into a show looking to win an argument.

Geneijin

doomed1 said:
Well yeah, but that's because I regard moe as a weak narrative element due to the extent of its effects. Sure, it's useful and powerful within its realm, but if all you have is moe, you won't get very far. You need more than that to have a really GOOD show.
To be clear you disagree with my disagreement in your interpretation of moe, right? That's all my complaint was about really. A semantics issue.

Sage00 said:
Perhaps you have a bit more faith in people than I do. Well, that's a nice way to live life! :p
I've only had a serious discourse once in anime-GAF!

doomed1 said:
into becoming a witch

While Kyousuke is a relatively minor character and his main purpose to the plot is as a motivating factor for Sayaka, I didn't feel that he was a cardboard cutout when watching. Probably because, as a musician myself, I instantly sympathized with his despair at having his life taken away from him prematurely. Obviously there's not time enough in a 12(hopefully!)-episode show to develop every character that appears. I certainly didn't feel that any of the main girls were cardboard cutouts (even Mami, the least developed); each episode revealed new sides and hidden motivations to them. I grew to feel for just about every member of the cast.

firehawk12 said:
Madoka isn't really about the characters and much more about subverting the Magical Girl tropes though.

I think it's about both. Deconstructing the typical elements of magical girl anime wouldn't work as effectively if there was no reason to care about the characters. The characters are still at the heart of the story.

It's true that the characters are not especially deep (outside of Kyoko), but they're still decently fleshed out as far as the show goes.

Miri said:
What I got:

I'm guessing that they mean for that to be the whole point of it. Simple shit like that tears at the heartstrings of girls her age, which makes them ideal candidates for the whole magical girl process etc etc. However, in my eyes, it's a justification that makes the end result no less stupid.

thats what you got?

I just got the fact she fucked herself out of a situation with nothing to show (after being warned to think carefully). Those scenes just accelerated that fact and came off as a huge "fuck you"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I think it's about both. Deconstructing the typical elements of magical girl anime wouldn't work as effectively if there was no reason to care about the characters. The characters are still at the heart of the story.

It's true that the characters are not especially deep (outside of Kyoko), but they're still decently fleshed out as far as the show goes.
That's the thing though. Madoka only works as a subversion of the "I want to use the power of love to help my friends!" trope of Sailor Moon or PreCure or whatever. The constant delay of that presumably inevitable moment is where the tension comes from. It's not like the show is a character study on Madoka's internal conflict when it comes to learning the truth behind the fiction of becoming a magical girl.

iavi

firehawk12 said:

At the end of the day, you're watching the characters. Who they are is as important as anything.

kuwabaratheman said:
but they're still decently fleshed out as far as the show goes

The fleshing them out is what does the show in. They're little girls, who have no more to contribute to a show than little girl shit. So they play up the things that are important to a girl of her age: crushes. And that's where it fell flat. I didn't care to delve any deeper because the surface had already turned me away. You could say that I knew what I was getting into; that it comes with the territory, and you'd probably be right--kinda. Still, it irritates me to no end that shit like this is what sells now.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Are you guys at this Madoka vs K-On shit again? Didn't we just have this not long ago =/?

Madoka is exactly the same as K-On, the only difference is,
K-On don't have Kyubei.

And yes K-On does have a plot! Its about a girl that spent most her life doing nothing finally found a goal, meeting friends, and achieving it together!

Not every 14 years old girl in anime world have the privilege to meet Kyubei.

firehawk12 said:
That's the thing though. Madoka only works as a subversion of the "I want to use the power of love to help my friends!" trope of Sailor Moon or PreCure or whatever. The constant delay of that presumably inevitable moment is where the tension comes from. It's not like the show is a character study on Madoka's internal conflict when it comes to learning the truth behind the fiction of becoming a magical girl.

Well, there's a lot more to the show than that. I wouldn't even say that's the biggest place that Madoka is subverting the magical girl genre. You have the fact that gaining power has consequences, which is a big lesson that Sayaka and Kyoko have to learn, and the fact that making wishes to help other people backfire and you should just try and help yourself. Not to mention the fact that Kyubey is a subversion of the typical cute mascot character who is giving girl's magical powers. It doesn't just deconstruct the genre on that one level, but on several different levels.

The show isn't a character study, but it makes you care about what happens to the characters. It wouldn't work effectively if the viewer didn't care about what was happening to them. The series in many ways is about the loss of innocence that the characters go through and showing how they cope (or don't) with that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kannagi was good though. He should have just stuck with awkward nerd humour and harems.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, there's a lot more to the show than that. I wouldn't even say that's the biggest place that Madoka is subverting the magical girl genre. You have the fact that gaining power has consequences, which is a big lesson that Sayaka and Kyoko have to learn, and the fact that making wishes to help other people backfire and you should just try and help yourself. Not to mention the fact that Kyubey is a subversion of the typical cute mascot character who is giving girl's magical powers. It doesn't just deconstruct the genre on that one level, but on several different levels.

The show isn't a character study, but it makes you care about what happens to the characters. It wouldn't work effectively if the viewer didn't care about what was happening to them. The series in many ways is about the loss of innocence that the characters go through and showing how they cope (or don't) with that.
Well yeah, I'm just saying that all the characters serve mostly to deconstruct tropes. It's interesting to see how everything falls apart around them, but it depends on so much nerd knowledge for it to be meaningful.

Aigis said:
Fractale was so boring. I couldn't make it past the first episode.

I made it to episode 3, but I've never managed to watch anymore of it. It's a shame, as I could see the makings of an interesting story there, but it was riddled down with terrible 'comedy' and stupid characters who added nothing to the story.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
KuwabaraTheMan said:

I think it kind of takes things to the extreme (and does so well). Madoka takes the Magical Girl idea and goes all out with the darker, "more realistic" look at consequences of power that Magical Girls get.

I'd even put it as the polar opposite of Princess Tutu, which took the fairy tale aspect of the Magical Girl genre and went all out with it.

iavi

DrForester said:
I think it kind of takes things to the extreme (and does so well). Madoka takes the Magical Girl idea and goes all out with the darker, "more realistic" look at consequences of power that Magical Girls get.

That divide is where my issue lies. It wants the viewer to take this goofy ass premise, and look at it with a serious eye. It becomes kind of hard to do that when the focal point is crying every 5 minutes.

tiff

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I made it to episode 3, but I've never managed to watch anymore of it. It's a shame, as I could see the makings of an interesting story there, but it was riddled down with terrible 'comedy' and stupid characters who added nothing to the story.
It just seemed like it had no idea what it wanted to be and it felt like it went nowhere as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom