• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cute girls doing cute things.

It's simple but a very strong multilayered theme.

Branduil

Halycon said:
Cute girls doing cute things.

It's simple but a very strong multilayered theme.
But Madoka has cute girls doing violent, sociopathic things. This dissonance creates greater thematic depths than are possible in K-on's shallow narrative.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Branduil said:
What characters?
To be fair - madoka doesn't really have any characters, they are just simple archetypes (like K-ON). Except i found myself more attached (emotionally) to the characters of K-ON.:)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
You may believe you are right. You are wholly entitled to that opinion.

Doesn't change the fact that you are, in fact, wrong.
So how are you liking those rewritten laws of physics there? Or anything in that show that isn't meguca is suffering?

Branduil said:
But Madoka has cute girls doing violent, sociopathic things. This dissonance creates greater thematic depths than are possible in K-on's shallow narrative.
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Branduil

Lafiel said:
To be fair - madoka doesn't really have any characters, they are just simple archetypes (like K-ON). Except i found myself more attached (emotionally) to the characters of K-ON.:)
You're right, but see above. I don't inherently have a problem with archetypes, but you'd better do something interesting with them, which K-on really doesn't. I also find Madoka's archetypes mostly less offensively otaku, but that might just be me.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
So how are you liking those rewritten laws of physics there? Or anything in that show that isn't meguca is suffering?

Well, I mean, even your average kiddie pool is deeper than the puddle known as K-on.

You're really going to complain about the laws of physics in a show about magic?

Jexhius said:
Sket-Dance 1: With so many promising shows this season I doubt that I'll be keeping up with a show that's just above-average.

Stopping now is the same as stopping at episode 1 of Madoka.

Cwarrior said:
index 20
i give up ,i feel like am watching anime made by nomura(nonsense storyline)

more and more lolis come out the woodwork but still no loli stomping,the same shit keeps happen over again.

Strange girl appears and runs into toma
Some evil villain appears, after strange girl
Toma finds out there after strange girl
Toma goes into talk no jutso mode
Then risk his life to save girl with hax powers

THE LOLI PUNCHING DOES NOT HAPPEN UNTIL SEASON 2

Risette

A Good Citizen
Branduil said:
You're right, but see above. I don't inherently have a problem with archetypes, but you'd better do something interesting with them, which K-on really doesn't. I also find Madoka's archetypes mostly less offensively otaku, but that might just be me.
Madoka doesn't do anything interesting with them either.

iavi

trejo said:
This page needs to be nuked from orbit!

Seconded. It's fucking K-ON. It's fucking Madoka. Both a show about little girls. One is all cute and shit. One is all dark and shit. That's about all that ever needs to be delved into regarding the two of them.

Branduil said:

Madoka may use archetypes, but it plays with and subverts them in a way that elevates them into actual characters, at least in my opinion.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
So how are you liking those rewritten laws of physics there?

I'm no scientist, sure, but I don't really care. It is what it is, a plot device to establish that Kyubey's motives aren't justifiable to the average person.

I mean, it takes a lot more than Urobuchi failing physics class to break my willing suspension of disbelief, especially for a show that was already blatantly unrealistic as is.

Or anything in that show that isn't meguca is suffering?

I'm liking it actually.

Deeper than K-On at least.

Branduil

Aigis said:
Madoka doesn't do anything interesting with them either.
I disagree. Putting characters in terrible situations almost always results in something interesting, unless you're just completely atrocious at writing like KEY is.

7Th

Madoka characters and K-ON!(!) characters may look like little girls, but they're all full-fledged teenagers.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Branduil said:
I disagree. Putting characters in terrible situations almost always results in something interesting, unless you're just completely atrocious at writing like KEY is.
The problem is that all the characters in Madoka (except QB) are really irritating so I don't really care what happens to them.

The Sayaka arc of Madoka is one of the most irritating things I've ever seen.

jman2050

Aigis said:
The problem is that all the characters in Madoka are really irritating so I don't really care what happens to them.

See, replace "Madoka" with "K-On" in that sentence and you have my thoughts.

Risette

A Good Citizen
jman2050 said:
See, replace "Madoka" with "K-On" in that sentence and you have my thoughts.
You have strange thoughts. The K-ON characters may be shallow but they're inoffensive and kinda likable, except for Yui.

Aigis said:
The problem is that all the characters in Madoka (except QB) are really irritating so I don't really care what happens to them.

This is my feeling as well. I just tune in to see how QB is gonna troll them some more.

trejo

Aigis said:

That doesn't tell me much other than you get easily irritated.

Branduil

Aigis said:

Well finding characters irritating tends to be pretty subjective, so not much to argue there. I will say that I don't find the way the characters act unbelievable.

Aigis said:
You have strange thoughts. The K-ON characters may be shallow but they're inoffensive and kinda likable, except for Yui.

Well Yui is kind of the main character, so... yeah.

SciencePilot said:
Hey guys, why are we having the Madoka/K-On discussion again? :( I don't understand. The shows aren't comparable at all.

In order to defend what you like, you have to attack what other people like. It's a fundamental rule of Internet discourse.

zeroshiki

Aigis said:

Ui is the best character in K-On because, surprise surprise, she's the only one with the mental capacity of a high-schooler.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Aigis said:

Yui is the best character though.

zeroshiki said:
Ui is the best character in K-On because, surprise surprise, she's the only one with the mental capacity of a high-schooler.

Ui is boring though, boring characters can't be good.

jman2050

Comparing Madoka and K-On is a fool's errand, they're different types of shows.

If we REALLY want to go somewhere, we need to have the inevitable Azumanga/K-On grudge match.

Yui is just a poor man's badly written Osaka.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:

If we REALLY want to go somewhere, we need to have the inevitable Azumanga/K-On grudge match.

Yui is just a poor man's horribly written Osaka.
They're the same insomuch as they're panderbait to the people who don't like them.

Aigis said:

so your easily irritated then?

this was one of the best parts of the show due to the trolling LOL

trejo

zeroshiki said:
Ui is only the best because I like to imagine she has an unhealthy and deranged obsession with her sister that she keeps under wraps.

icarus-daedelus said:
I like to imagine that Ui is secretly yandere for Yui, and would cut a bitch up if they touched her.

'cuz otherwise she's just a generous and capable person inexplicably, stalkerishly obsessed with her useless lump of a sister.
Great minds, blah blah blah.

iavi

Infinite Justice said:
so your easily irritated then?

this was one of the best parts of the show due to the trolling LOL

Ugh, that part had me ready to drop the show. I already wasn't caring much, and their basing an arc around the fragility of a little girls crush was doing it no help.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Miri said:
Ugh, that part had me ready to drop the show. I already wasn't caring much, and their basing of an arc around the fragility of a little girls crush was doing it no help.
Yep. It was unbearably melodramatic and all the characters (except QB) were acting in a completely unbelievable way. It was pretty bad.

Branduil

Miri said:
Ugh, that part had me ready to drop the show. I already wasn't caring much, and their basing an arc around the fragility of a little girls crush was doing it no help.
That wasn't what it was actually about, though.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The quality of discussion in these threads has taken a sharp downturn recently (if you can call it discussion, more like a childish back and forth of passive aggressive insults veiled as 'critique' of certain shows). It's becoming very irritating to read.

Sage00 said:
The quality of discussion in these threads has taken a sharp downturn recently (if you can call it discussion, more like a childish back and forth of passive aggressive insults veiled as 'critique' of certain shows). It's becoming very irritating to read.

Do you REALLY think it was better before?

Also, the thread has been around barely a week and we're already past the 1/4 mark.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:

Yui is just a poor man's badly written Osaka.
Oh, that won't happen. It's as silly a comparison as the Madoka/K-ON comparison I was trolling you with. The REAL showdown is between Cromartie High School and Azumanga.

YOU BITCHES READY?
tZcmc.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom