• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uchip said:
no but your opinion is stuck in nostalgia mode perhaps

That hardly needs to be the case. Card Captor Sakura is a legitimately great and well written shown with some really well rounded characters. Madoka is darker than CCS, but that alone doesn't make it better.

I love both shows, but CCS remains the superior show in my mind. It advanced the genre in a number of ways, and remains the show to beat in terms of balancing magical girl stories with more typical romance and genuine character drama that feels believable and realistic.

zeroshiki

Uchip said:
no but your opinion is stuck in nostalgia mode perhaps

Uchip said:
you have got to be trolling

Uh-huh.

And its not nostalgia. Cardcaptor Sakura is so far above Madoka that I'm not even sure why we're having this conversation. Everyone's so gung-ho about Madoka breaking tropes but CCS was groundbreaking in its own right. You don't really need to go all grimdark to tell a compelling story, you know.

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
Uh-huh.

And its not nostalgia. Cardcaptor Sakura is so far above Madoka that I'm not even sure why we're having this conversation. Everyone's so gung-ho about Madoka breaking tropes but CCS was groundbreaking in its own right. You don't really need to go all grimdark to tell a compelling story, you know.

its hardly grimdark
its just got a thick atmosphere (mostly due to the music and background choices)
have you even seen sakura lately? its like the definition of silly uguu animu with over the top transformations and underage romance.
I liked it when it first aired, but how long ago was that?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Uchip said:
its hardly grimdark
its just got a thick atmosphere (mostly due to the music and background choices)
have you even seen sakura lately? its like the definition of silly uguu animu with over the top transformations and underage romance.
What the fuck.

Geneijin

Uchip said:
its hardly grimdark
Like seriously?

Uchip

Banned
Dresden said:
scat dance was pretty good. Will keep watching.

Rest up, because K-ON: College Edition will need some staunch white-knighting.

you know i might actually watch k-on if it werent a lesbian only club

zeroshiki

Uchip said:
its hardly grimdark

o_O did you ever watch CCS? There was no transformation sequence.

I'm not sure how age of the work is relevant here. RK is better than most action shows out there and its 10+ years old.

Geneijin

A recency effect bias can be as strong as a nostalgia bias.

firehawk12 said:
I'm against it on principal! Raaaaaage!
Save it for when the movie appears. If it becomes overtly moe as Season 1, then a cause for rage is necessary.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Branduil said:
Comparing it to Twilight? Now you're just trolling. Like I said, trying to discuss this with you is a waste of time.
Except that I'm not comparing Madoka to Twilight. Madoka at least has redeeming features. What I'm trying to say is that you're welcome to enjoy it, but there are weaknesses in the plot and writing, at least according to my understanding of literature which I have expressed several times now. Is this unreasonable?

I'm going to sleep now, the page can LIVE

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Having rewatched CCS a few months ago (after about 12 years) I can accurately that say you're complete off your rocker.

Yes it contains a lot of stuff that would, today, be considered moe pandering. The difference is back then it was a natural result of how the characters were written and developed, not because they were trying to get otaku to buy merchandise featuring little girls doing questionable things.

CCS was the good moe, and perhaps the last of its kind.

Dresden

Uchip said:
you know i might actually watch k-on if it werent a lesbian only club
But Mugi moogsing off those moogs is like the best part.
Infinite Justice said:
i think doomed1 will have that covered LOL
Prolly. I don't trust him ever since he declared his love for tsundere characters, though. They're not to be trusted.
firehawk12 said:
I'm against it on principal! Raaaaaage!
It might be a shameless collusion between kakifly and KyoAni to generate more cash, but who knows, the girls might even get laid! Get drunk! Mugi mooging the moogs (whatever that means)!
zeroshiki said:
o_O did you ever watch CCS? There was no transformation sequence.

I'm not sure how age of the work is relevant here. RK is better than most action shows out there and its 10+ years old.
CCS is better, dude is just crazy.

zeroshiki

I will be standing with firehawk on the next K-On and Haruhi series. (Although I somehow doubt the Haruhi author will ever freaking leave the 2 year period between Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Disappearance. He just goes in circles.)

Branduil

doomed1 said:
Except that I'm not comparing Madoka to Twilight. Madoka at least has redeeming features. What I'm trying to say is that you're welcome to enjoy it, but there are weaknesses in the plot and writing, at least according to my understanding of literature which I have expressed several times now. Is this unreasonable?

I'm going to sleep now, the page can LIVE
It just seems to me you're analyzing anime through an obsolete lens of literary criticism which does a poor job of actually determining the quality of a work.

Jex

Geneijin said:
A recency effect bias can be as strong as a nostalgia bias.
Both are equally troubling, I agree.
Halycon said:
Yes it contains a lot of stuff that would, today, be considered moe pandering. The difference is back then it was a natural result of how the characters were written and developed, not because they were trying to get otaku to buy merchandise featuring little girls doing questionable things.
Just like Evangelion, before the new movies.
OH GOD DOUBLE POST

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
It might be a shameless collusion between kakifly and KyoAni to generate more cash, but who knows, the girls might even get laid! Get drunk! Mugi mooging the moogs (whatever that means)!

Hey, if it's Hen Zemi with the K-On!! girls, it'll be the best (????) thing ever?
I'll take Genshiken with Mugi as the moogster who moogs over Yuri anime.

Geneijin said:
Save it for when the movie appears. If it becomes overtly moe as Season 1, then a cause for rage is necessary.
Time to book my December flight so I can line up for the midnight screening! Or buy my tickets in advance because they have assigned seating for movies there. :lol

zeroshiki said:
I will be standing with firehawk on the next K-On and Haruhi series. (Although I somehow doubt the Haruhi author will ever freaking leave the 2 year period between Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Disappearance. He just goes in circles.)
I can't remember if I still like Haruhi or not. :lol

Jex

Branduil said:
Evangelion still had a lot of stuff that was pandering even back then, though.
Character situations yes, clearly, but we were talking about writing.

People should tune in to the 1UP charity marathon to learn glorious Japanese games, maybe they'll be moe?

Aww, they've switched to shooters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Evangelion still had a lot of stuff that was pandering even back then, though.
Eva panders in the same way that Madoka panders... Eva just rises above it by having more than just deconstructionist impulses.

Dresden said:
But Mugi moogsing off those moogs is like the best part.

Prolly. I don't trust him ever since he declared his love for tsundere characters, though. They're not to be trusted.

CCS is better, dude is just crazy.

I just wonder if something called a male will appear lol

CCS is the true OG in a time where that stuff came with the territory (i.e Clamp with their specific style).

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Hey, if it's Hen Zemi with the K-On!! girls, it'll be the best (????) thing ever?
I'll take Genshiken with Mugi as the moogster who moogs over Yuri anime.

Time to book my December flight so I can line up for the midnight screening! Or buy my tickets in advance because they have assigned seating for movies there. :lol

I can't remember if I still like Haruhi or not. :lol

I don't think they do midnight showings. And I'm certain you can get a seat. I walked up to the HYD movie on opening day and bought tickets to the 8pm showing. This is a movie with a massive fangirl following. Otaku bait has nothing on it.

Dresden

We don't need no stinking males in K-ON.

qyw3Y.jpg

BAM

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hellsing321 said:
Why would they want to kill their cash cow?
It could be like Genshiken 2.0, where there's a guy who likes to dress up like a girl who joins their band.

zeroshiki said:
I don't think they do midnight showings. And I'm certain you can get a seat. I walked up to the HYD movie on opening day and bought tickets to the 8pm showing. This is a movie with a massive fangirl following. Otaku bait has nothing on it.
K-On as a fangirl following??

Dresden said:
We don't need no stinking males in K-ON.

http://i.imgur.com/qyw3Y.jpg[IMG]

BAM[/QUOTE]
Poor Asuza!

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
It could be like Genshiken 2.0, where there's a guy who likes to dress up like a girl who joins their band.

K-On as a fangirl following??

Poor Asuza!

Sorry, I meant HYD. I walked up and bought a ticket opening day to a movie with crazy fangirls following it. K-On would probably be easier.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Poor Asuza!
Such is the fate of irrelevant side characters. :(

Also, animu sales tiem:

Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for Mar 28 - Apr 3
DVD
*1, 7,794 *,**7,794 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
*2, 7,436 *,**7,436 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD Box vol.1
*3, 6,581 *,**6,581 Hetalia World Series vol.5 Limited Edition
*4, 5,512 *,**5,512 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD Box vol.2
*5, 2,727 *,**2,727 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: Matsuri vol.2
*6, 2,062 *,**2,062 Freezing vol.1
*7, 1,824 *,**1,824 Queen's Blade: Utsukushiki Toushitachi vol.6
*8, 1,615 *,**1,615 Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls vol.5
*9, 1,532 1,064,699 My Neighbor Totoro
10, 1,359 *,**3,940 Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor DVD Box
11, 1,131 *,**4,817 Heartcatch Precure! Hana no To de Fashion Show... Desu ka!? Special Edition
12, *,973 *,449,677 Kiki's Delivery Service
13, *,929 *,***,929 Crayon Shin-chan Collection of Best Episodes
14, *,914 *,**5,042 K-ON!! vol.9
15, *,903 *,323,734 Princess Mononoke
16, *,784 *,721,473 Castle in the Sky

Blu-ray
*1, 21,574 *21,574 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
*2, *3,676 **3,676 Freezing vol.1
*3, *3,443 **3,443 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: Matsuri vol.2
*4, *3,137 *32,987 K-ON!! vol.9 Limited Edition
*5, *2,906 **2,906 Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls vol.5
*6, *2,417 **6,132 Shinryaku! Ika Musume vol.4
*7, *2,318 **2,318 Queen's Blade: Utsukushiki Toushitachi vol.6
*8, *2,267 **2,267 Space Runaway Ideon Movies Limited Edition
*9, *1,780 **4,813 Tantei Opera Milky Holmes vol.3
10, *1,751 **4,252 Heartcatch Precure! Hana no To de Fashion Show... Desu ka!? Special Edition
11, *1,311 **1,311 Shukufuku no Campanella OVA
12, *1,300 **3,942 Amagami SS vol.11 Limited Edition
13, *1,188 **1,188 Sousei no Aquarion Blu-ray BOX
14, *1,104 **3,594 Amagami SS vol.10 Limited Edition
15, *1,089 **1,089 Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu vol.6
16, **,890 ***,890 MM! vol.4
17, **,857 ***,857 Princess Lover! Blu-ray BOX
18, **,830 **3,744 Yumekui Merry vol.1
19, **,702 **2,899 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? vol.1 Deluxe Edition
20, **,590 **1,717 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol.4
21, **,543 **6,475 Yosuga no Sora vol.5
22, **,538 107,956 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2
23, **,415 ***,415 Soul Eater Blu-ray Box
24, **,405 *23,736 Castle in the Sky
25, **,391 108,853 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1
26, **,384 **2,635 Sora no Otoshimono: Forte vol.4
27, **,323 **2,604 Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Blu-ray Box

bad harem show: 1
rest of the world: 0

firehawk12 said:
He'll have to be a comic relief character or the otaku will run away screaming. Can't have no Shuu being too manly and taking all their girls away

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Sorry, I meant HYD. I walked up and bought a ticket opening day to a movie with crazy fangirls following it. K-On would probably be easier.
What does HYD stand for?

21,000 copies of Infinite Stratos? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU JAPAN!!!!

Solune

Uchip said:
dont even say Mai Hime, that show was riddled with fanservice and pointless episodes
LOL, I am sorry but you said you Like Mai-Otome over Mai-Hime and you're claiming this? just wow. My brain is certainly riddled beyond comprehension

Haly

Mio would develop a crush on him and Mugi could be all jealous and shit.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
What does HYD stand for?

notsureifserious...

Hana Yori Dango

Solune said:
LOL, I am sorry but you said you Like Mai-Otome over Mai-Hime and you're claiming this? just wow. My brain is certainly riddled beyond comprehension

lol, I'm sure Uchip got the idea. The last page has been a massive pileon on the dude.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Character situations yes, clearly, but we were talking about writing.

People should tune in to the 1UP charity marathon to learn glorious Japanese games, maybe they'll be moe?

Aww, they've switched to shooters.
Yes obviously they didn't know at the time that what people would take from Eva is that Asuka and Rei must be copied and dehumanized endlessly until they were little more than fetishes. I've said it before but Eva(unintentionally) had an awful influence on anime.

As opposed to Cowboy Bebop which ended up having exactly zero influence despite being awesome.

Geneijin

For Volume 1? Damn Japan, Volume 3 is where it's at wasn't it? What the hell.

firehawk12 said:
Should rent out a theater instead and schedule your own midnight screening.

Solune said:
My brain is certainly riddled beyond comprehension
More Natsuki and Shizuru fanservice <3

Haly

Everytime I think to myself: "I should watch one of the new episodes and see what's good", I wind up watching Maison Ikkoku instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom