• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
InfiniteNine said:
So good. I still think Ash should have hit up one of the girls in his group by now though. Misty, Dawn, brown haired girl, SOMEONE!

Don't you know that Ash died when he got hit by lightning in the first episode and he keeps journeying with a new girl in his dying mind's imagination every generation because it represents his innocence and never making it past friendship?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jman2050 said:
No! Bad InfiniteNine, bad. Go do your unspeakable things out in the yard with newer anime, don't bring that stuff to our homely childhood nostalgia.
How do you think I got corrupted? This has been going on forever!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This topic makes me glad Outlaw Star was never changed for the dub.

Yugi-Oh was better when it was about random games and Yami killed people.
Shame that bit never got turned into an anime.

It'd be like Kaiji but with Ancient Egyptian God Kings.

jman2050

Dresden said:
I never got into Digimon, what'd they do?

I'm going to wager a guess and say Frontier.

And now *play achievement unlocked sound* you've discovered one of my other big guilty pleasures!

Dresden said:
I never got into Digimon, what'd they do?

A lot of it was typical 90s stuff (death cover ups, etc), but they dumbed down the script like no other dub I can ever recall, especially with all of the terrible jokes. Most of the characters were also pretty much completely changed in terms of their personalities.

It was essentially the One Piece dub 5 years earlier. The plot loosely resembles the original, but with none of the dialogue matching anything from the original.

Not to mention the loss of the beautiful original soundtrack, replaced with some of the most generic garbage to ever grace Saturday mornings.

jman2050 said:
I'm going to wager a guess and say Frontier.

And now *play achievement unlocked sound* you've discovered one of my other big guilty pleasures!

Frontier was a whole different kettle of fish. I wonder who thought that show was a good idea.

Thankfully Savers came along and redeemed the franchise.

trejo

Wow, I can't believe the shit you people used to put up with.

This is the kind of stuff we got. I even prefer this one to the original japanese, tbh.

edit: haha, beaten.

Uchip

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
I never got into Digimon, but one of my girlfriends liked it so I saw the movie. It was pretty okay.

my friend referenced that while we saw Summer Wars
i nearly raged

Infinite Justice said:
Seasons 1-3 are great. 4 and the rest sucked imo.

Savers didn't suck at all, what are you smoking? Frontier was garbage, but Savers put the franchise back on the right track and had everything that made the first three series good while also being written towards a more mature audience.

jman2050

KuwabaraTheMan said:
A lot of it was typical 90s stuff (death cover ups, etc), but they dumbed down the script like no other dub I can ever recall, especially with all of the terrible jokes. Most of the characters were also pretty much completely changed in terms of their personalities.

It was essentially the One Piece dub 5 years earlier. The plot loosely resembles the original, but with none of the dialogue matching anything from the original.

I know this is true of seasons 1 and 2 but as far as I can tell they were able to at least do season 3 justice, to the extent that the Fox Kids no-fun brigade would allow at least.

Still a shame about the music.

jman2050 said:
I know this is true of seasons 1 and 2 but as far as I can tell they were able to at least do season 3 justice, to the extent that the Fox Kids no-fun brigade would allow at least.

Still a shame about the music.

I wasn't paying much attention to the Tamers dub, although I do recall it being not as bad (since Nimoy and Bucholz had been fired by that point). I do still recall them making Guillmon really stupid and annoying the dub and (obviously) cutting out content like Juri trying to kill herself and things like that, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Adventure or 02's dubs were.

jman2050

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Savers didn't suck at all, what are you smoking? Frontier was garbage, but Savers put the franchise back on the right track and had everything that made the first three series good while also being written towards a more mature audience.

I should definitely get to finishing Savers. I started it a while back but that was at a point where doing a 50-episode series was kind of tricky so I eventually stopped about a quarter of the way through.

What I saw was pretty awesome though, a huge improvement over the garbage that was Frontier.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I wasn't paying much attention to the Tamers dub, although I do recall it being not as bad (since Nimoy and Bucholz had been fired by that point). I do still recall them making Guillmon really stupid and annoying the dub and (obviously) cutting out content like Juri trying to kill herself and things like that, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Adventure or 02's dubs were.

Actually they didn't. Having rewatched it recently, I was actually somewhat surprised at what they got away with overall :p

Dresden

KuwabaraTheMan said:

Not to mention the loss of the beautiful original soundtrack, replaced with some of the most generic garbage to ever grace Saturday mornings.
Damn.

iavi

Uchip said:
my friend referenced that while we saw Summer Wars
i nearly raged

One of mine did the exact same thing, lol, said the film was a carbon copy of Digimon movie, or something along those lines.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

never got back into it and i think Frontier was to blame for that :(

may try again one day.

As for the dubs they were hilarious plus you got Davis punching out Cthulhu for the epic save.

And i liked Tamers when it really got all crazy with the Juri shenanigans

Uchip

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Your opinions are all terrible, you should consider that when you complain about Anime-GAF dogpiling you all the time.

which of my opinions is "terrible"?
please
Id love to know
especially coming from someone with an azusa avatar

jman2050 said:
I should definitely get to finishing Savers. I started it a while back but that was at a point where doing a 50-episode series was kind of tricky so I eventually stopped about a quarter of the way through.

What I saw was pretty awesome though, a huge improvement over the garbage that was Frontier.

Yeah, Savers is really awesome. It started out slow, but the second half of the series in particular is just non-stop awesome. They really managed to take the series to new heights (which I wouldn't have thought possible).

I was disappointed in Xros Wars early on, but that show has really managed to correct its early mistakes and it seems like the second half could be taking things to Tamers/Savers levels of dark/seriousness.

Actually they didn't. Having rewatched it recently, I was actually somewhat surprised at what they got away with overall :p

Really? I guess my memory was playing tricks with me on that one.

jman2050

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I was disappointed in Xros Wars early on, but that show has really managed to correct its early mistakes and it seems like the second half could be taking things to Tamers/Savers levels of dark/seriousness.

Don't say this, I'm planning on marathoning the whole thing when it's finished so I want to stay ignorant of everything after the first episode (which is decent but enjoyable enough).

Geneijin

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Speaking of which, one reason I dislike dubs like Naruto is because dubs like that quiet the music to a whisper.

iavi

jman2050 said:
This was by far the best anime Toonami ever showed on its block

Sorry sir, that award goes to Kenshin. I used to come inside early to catch that... I hated coming inside early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom