• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

jman2050 said:
This was by far the best anime Toonami ever showed on its block. The dub was pretty fantastic too if I recall, even considering the massive hackjob they had to perform to make it airable.

Still not sure whether it beats Tenchi Muyo for "most obvious yet oddly effective censoring for US broadcast" or not.

Big O was better, also had a better dub.

Articalys

Wow, I sure missed a lot while I was off watching Cowboy Bebop 23-26 (coincidentally it got mentioned somewhere in those last few pages).
Even going into the series knowing the end result (hard to avoid in today's anime culture) I had never actually seen The Real Folk Blues, just a handful of the other episodes, so I feel like I still got the full effect. Now I can check off one of the most iconic series from the 90s off my list. What to move on to next... maybe I'll get around to Evangelion now. Of course then I'd have to join the wait for 3.0 like everyone else...
Also, Blue is an amazing song.

Oh, I guess if we're talking anime on US television it's worth pointing out that Bebop was the first show ever aired on Adult Swim, way back in 2001.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
jman2050 said:
This was by far the best anime Toonami ever showed on its block. The dub was pretty fantastic too if I recall, even considering the massive hackjob they had to perform to make it airable.

Still not sure whether it beats Tenchi Muyo for "most obvious yet oddly effective censoring for US broadcast" or not.
I don't remember what they censored, enlighten me?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jman2050 said:

Well they didn't air the hotspring episode of Outlaw Star so it made the ending not make sense. They had gotten the caster shells he used in the final episodes there.

iavi

InfiniteNine said:
*snickers*

Ahaha, fck. I read it after I posting and said, "well that sounds like nothing I intended..." didn't care to change it though .

Dresden said:
It's like almost everyone here became weeaboos early on as a child.

Now that I think about it, I've yet to meet a person who hasn't.

Haly

Back then anime was just cartoons, no one gave a shit where they came from.

Also Big O is kind of an unfair comparison because it was perfectly suited for a dub.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Dresden said:

I got VHS fansubbed animu from my local comic shop as a kid!

jman2050

Infinite Justice said:
if its Outlaw Star they took out an entire ep which messed with the ending eps

Well I was more specifically referring to what they did with Melfina.

2dl3zvs.jpg

Can't find a screenshot of the censored version oddly enough...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Uchip said:
my friend referenced that while we saw Summer Wars
i nearly raged
Why? because the director of summer wars did direct digimon the movie you know. (or at least parts of it).

Haly

jman2050 said:

2dl3zvs.jpg

Ah yes I remember this. It could've been much worse really.

Gundam SEED laser guns come to mind.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Lafiel said:
Why? because the director of summer wars did direct digimon the movie you know. (or at least parts of it).

Mamoru Hosoda directed Digimon Adventure and Our War Game.

Haly

InfiniteNine said:
They put her in a black skin-tight thing right?
The little bars covered up everything below her neck.

Branduil

Dresden said:
I watched a few episodes of the shows on toonami now and then, but I didn't really watch any anime all the way through until Cowboy Bebop.

Uchip

Banned
jman2050 said:
My first non-TV anime was UY.

Thank god for Animeigo and my friend's VHS tapes.

see i got introduced via Now and Then Here and There
and my love for anime was forever inspired by serious mode animation

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I never get why William's Street always reruns just Inuyasha, Bebop, and FLCL. I'm honestly tired of seeing that crap for the 1000th time. Put on Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, fucking Sailor Moon, or something else I haven't seen over and over again on their programming blocks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dresden said:
Yep, i watched the full runs of pokemon seasons 1-3, dragon ball z, zoids, and digimon season 1 when i was younger, look how big of a weeaboo i am!

jman2050

Halycon said:
The little bars covered up everything below her neck.

No I'm pretty sure it was the digital black suit. Basically the same thing they did with Tenchi.

Speaking of which 'that' episode of Tenchi was damn confusing to me as an ignorant teenager.

Articalys

InfiniteNine said:
I never get why William's Street always reruns just Inuyasha, Bebop, and FLCL. I'm honestly tired of seeing that crap for the 1000th time. Put on Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, fucking Sailor Moon, or something else I haven't seen over and over again on their programming blocks.
Should I put Outlaw Star in my Netflix queue? Though I'm not sure if I want another space-themed show right after Bebop.

iavi

Branduil said:
I watched a few episodes of the shows on toonami now and then, but I didn't really watch any anime all the way through until Cowboy Bebop.

The first show that I actually sought out, outside of tv, was fucking Inuyasha. Never did go anywhere. Movies were fun though.

jman2050

Articalys said:
Should I put Outlaw Star in my Netflix queue? Though I'm not sure if I want another space-themed show right after Bebop.

It's really good, and really not at all like Bebop outside of the setting. Criminally underrated as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
Do it! You can just watch something in between if you want a break from space themes though. The show is one of my favorites from my childhood.

iavi

Articalys said:

Give it some time. There's no way that you won't be running comparisons in your head, and Outlaw Star will suffer for it. Clear your palette for a bit.

Dresden

jman2050 said:
It's really good, and really not at all like Bebop outside of the setting. Criminally underrated as well.
Yeah, it's good stuff.

Regulus Tera said:
Hey wasn't there a new season of Inuyasha or something recently? How did that fare out?
IIRC, Inuyasha: The Final Act. It ended the series or something.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Miri said:
Give it some time. There's no way that you won't be running comparisons in your head, and Outlaw Star will suffer for it. Clear your palette for a bit.
I always found Outlaw Star more entertaining and never made comparisons really when I watched it.

jman2050 said:

2dl3zvs.jpg

oh yeah, i think they added more so it just showed her crossed arms (plus a "bathsuit" also)

Miri said:
This was my anthem as a kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVlAy2p4RHM They never played the whole thing, of course.

The song was great, just not toonami's handling imo

jman2050

Regulus Tera said:
Hey wasn't there a new season of Inuyasha or something recently? How did that fare out?

It ended last year. Yes, actually ended. For real this time. No, stop laughing I'm serious. Really, I am. Stop laughing already!

But no seriously, the story is actually over

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:
Era un poco lento por partes, si.

Traté de ver un episodio en Youtube hace poco. Me sorprendió escuchar música de los juegos, pero más allá de ello era una pifia.

trejo said:
Mostly everything back then was exceptionally well done, really. It's a damn shame about the current state of affairs.

I haven't watched any Latin American dubbed anime since I moved six years ago. What is the current state of affairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom