• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bebop is Outlaw Star for monocled weeaboos.

Uchip

Banned
Lafiel said:
Yep, i watched the full runs of pokemon seasons 1-3, dragon ball z, zoids, and digimon season 1 when i was younger, look how big of a weeaboo i am!
I didnt even know pokemon was anime at the time
just thought it was a really strange cartoon

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
InfiniteNine said:
Heart of Sword as a pretty great song. I really looked forward to hearing it whenever I watched Kenshin.

Dame! > Kimi ni Fureru Dake de > Fourth Avenue Café > 1/3 no Junjou na Kanjou > 1/2 > Sobakasu > It's Gonna Rain >>>>> Namida wa Shitteiru >>>> Heart of Sword >>>>>> Tactics

Instro

psycho17 said:
The Toonami era made a lot of young weeaboos.
That and Ronin Warriors airing at 6:30 in the mornings.

Aww yea Ronin Warriors and G-Force in the morning was the shit. I Think both of those started up on Cartoon Network like a year before Toonami began with Moltar as the host.

Geneijin

InfiniteNine said:
I never get why William's Street always reruns just Inuyasha, Bebop, and FLCL. I'm honestly tired of seeing that crap for the 1000th time. Put on Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, fucking Sailor Moon, or something else I haven't seen over and over again on their programming blocks.
As a kid, I could never comprehend why a rerun happened. Each time it did for a favorite show of mine
like DBZ
, all I remembered was being upset. Sigh. I hated being young.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Geneijin said:
As a kid, I could never comprehend why a rerun happened. Each time it did for a favorite show of mine
like DBZ
I know how you feel man. ):

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
jman2050 said:
It ended last year. Yes, actually ended. For real this time. No, stop laughing I'm serious. Really, I am. Stop laughing already!

But no seriously, the story is actually over

But was it worth it?

Solune said:

I don't get the love for Heart of Sword. The vocalist sounds like he has nails in his throat. Is that the only Kenshin song you Americans got? Is that the reason for the love?

jman2050

Geneijin said:
like DBZ

"Oh wow Goku landed on Namek! That big orange dude is gonna get it!"

*one week later*

"Wait what's going on? Farmer? Saiyan? Raditz? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Regulus Tera said:
But was it worth it?

It taught me that Takahashi can't write action and should never attempt to do so ever again. So yes? No? I dunno?

psycho17

Geneijin said:
like DBZ
Oh god the DBZ restarts.
It took years before we finally got to see Goku fight Jeice and Burter.

zeroshiki

Where I grew up, Goku never actually finished running on the goddamn snake road. In fact, he's probably still on the stupid thing. *grumble*grumble*

Dresden

jman2050 said:
It taught me that Takahashi can't write action and should never attempt to do so ever again.
I think the action is fine, it's just that her endings blow ever since that awful troll-end for Ranma. And of course Inuyasha just went on and on and on about Naruto.

@articalys: what you should do is get an avatar, you man without a face.

Articalys

Alright, alright, I threw it on the list near the middle. Guess I'll run through some of the non-anime stuff for a bit, maybe the Bourne series, some Clint Eastwood -- or I could keep the anime streak going and start on the instant watch series, like Spice and Wolf or FMP. Decisions, decisions... I'll probably end up putting off Eva forever at this rate.

I also got most of my early anime exposure from the few series Fox or UPN or whoever had back in the mid 90s, plus the Toonami stuff -- so yeah, most of what's already been mentioned. About the only series I ever watched all the way through on American TV though was the first FMA -- all of the other late-night stuff like Blue Submarine No. 6 were just weird shows where I had no idea what was going on. Then around... 2005 I think I started to seriously get into anime and learned just what I was missing by not staying awake up late all those nights. So I've got all these microcosms from series like Tenchi and Gundam Wing just floating around in my head. Maybe one day I'll get around to watching all those series in full...

zeroshiki said:
Where I grew up, Goku never actually finished running on the goddamn snake road. In fact, he's probably still on the stupid thing. *grumble*grumble*
I actually remember they finally finished the Buu saga (and thus the series) back somewhere in the mid 2000s.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
psycho17 said:
Oh god the DBZ restarts.

Fun fact: in Mexico the premiere for Dragon Ball Z was advertised for months before the debut. The original series had been mad successful, and everyone was eager with speculation about Goku's new adventures and his son. Bear in mind this was before the internet was widespread.

As soon as the first commercial break the show got interrupted by an emergency government broadcast or some shit, because DBZ was actually aired on national public televions. That was straight up trolling and not cool and it scarred me for life.

jman2050 said:

*one week later*

my exact words lol

Dresden said:
I think the action is fine, it's just that her endings blow ever since that awful troll-end for Ranma. And of course Inuyasha just went on and on and on about Naraku.

fixed

iavi

InfiniteNine said:
I always found Outlaw Star more entertaining and never made comparisons really when I watched it.

You gotta admit that they're extremely similar in setting though. And besides, Spike>Gene

zeroshiki said:
Where were you guys when I got slapped around for liking Heart of Sword?

couldn't post yet, ahah.

All this Heart of Sword love warms my sleepy heart.

trejo

Regulus Tera said:
I haven't watched any Latin American dubbed anime since I moved six years ago. What is the current state of affairs?
Shit like this is all we seem to get nowadays. And gone are the days when we used to get awesome versions of the original openings. Now we get the same sort of stuff people have been posting here but translated into spanish in the most godawful way possible.

Also, they just recently started airing DB Kai redubbed and most of the major voice actors are gone. This is just me bitching, of course, but the new guys they got for Goku, Gohan, Piccolo and the rest are shit in comparison to the originals, who gave DBZ one of the best freaking dubs ever.

Anyway, enough of this.

Haly

ikBZUu.png

Talk about an unflattering dress.

trejo

jman2050 said:

*one week later*

LOL, that happened to you guys too? I remember raging about it along with everyone else at school the next day each time they did that.

Geneijin

InfiniteNine said:
I know how you feel man. ):
I settled for Spanish DBZ at one point since it had the Freiza fights, but I stopped after a few because it wasn't subbed.

jman2050 said:

*one week later*

They trolled me with this when I thought it stopped at one point ;(

psycho17 said:
Oh god the DBZ restarts.
Don't say that out loud! I lost count since I was a kid, and it should remain like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:
Shit like this is all we seem to get nowadays. And gone are the days when we used to get awesome versions of the original openings. Now we get the same sort of stuff people have been posting here but translated into spanish in the most godawful way possible.

Well it's not like we didn't get that kind of stuff back then. It's probably just that the voice actors from back then found a better-paying job and got replaced by twats. Which, looking at current Mexican tv actors, wouldn't surprise me.

trejo said:
Also, they just recently started airing DB Kai redubbed and most of the major voice actors are gone. This is just me bitching, of course, but the new guys they got for Goku, Gohan, Piccolo and the rest are shit in comparison to the originals, who gave DBZ one of the best freaking dubs ever.

I still maintain that the Mexican DBZ dub is superior to the Japanese one.

trejo said:
Anyway, enough of this.

But Beybladez! :(

trejo said:

The English one is fine. I think they got pretty much everyone back.

My first non-tv anime was serial experiments lain. I think I was thirteen and downloaded it via kazaa after hearing about it on a final fantasy message board, lol. I only kind of began to understand it after reading a literary analysis online, but I became obsessed with it even though I didn't really understand it. It also contributed to me wanting to try drugs.

Dresden

umop_3pisdn said:
My first non-tv anime was serial experiments lain. I think I was thirteen and downloaded it via kazaa after hearing about it on a final fantasy message board, lol. I only kind of began to understand it after reading a literary analysis online, but I became obsessed with it even though I didn't really understand it. It also contributed to me wanting to try drugs.
See, that was the healthy way to indulge your fandom.

When I was thirteen I read Evangelion fanfiction.

Haly

Sometimes I regret not getting into fanfiction earlier, and sometimes I'm glad I never got into it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:

After Evangelion I discovered fansubs and pretty much watched every show that aired till 2007. I proceeded to get wrapped up in video games instead for the following two years, and here I am now!

Halycon said:
Sometimes I regret not getting into fanfiction earlier, and sometimes I'm glad I never got into it.
Yeah, reading a Gundam Wing one made me stay away forever. Although that lesbian sex one with the Tenchi girls was pretty awesome.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dresden said:

Do you remember the name of that particular fanfic that even had a website and had EVA 00 doing a Kame hame ha at some point?

Uchip

Banned
Dresden said:

if there ever was a reason for fanfiction
its the ending to evangelion

zeroshiki

I used to search for fanfiction set during the ep26 dream, the one that's the standard romcom. Then I got Girlfriend of Steel. Yeah, be careful what you wish for and all that.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
*highfive*
/hi5
Halycon said:
You missed out on some miserable times.
Miri said:
When I was 8 I read sonic... last time I ever read any.
Good job, you dodged the bullet.
InfiniteNine said:
After Evangelion I discovered fansubs and pretty much watched every show that aired till 2007. I proceeded to get wrapped up in video games instead for the following two years, and here I am now!
We walk now on meifumado, Daigoro.
Regulus Tera said:
Do you remember the name of that particular fanfic that even had a website and had EVA 00 doing a Kame hame ha at some point?
I don't remember the names for any of them, although there's two I remember fondly--one was this badass Shinji/Asuka one. It was the one that originated the AT-condom joke. And the other had Maya snapping and, uh, ravaging Ritsuko.

Ahem.

Dresden said:

That may have been the anomaly (I used to read Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfiction...) In your case Evangelion at least benefits from the elaboration.

Haly

To be honest I followed a role playing livejournal community for a few years. It was more or less group fanfiction.

If you can actually guess which one it is you get a cookie and endless shame.
I got into AMVs earlier. You've had it easy.
I did get into AMVs for a bit until I realized everything that's not Hold Me Now, a Blanco AMV, or a Koopiskeva AMV was probably not worth watching.

zeroshiki

Fanfiction was a great waste of time especially during the days of tapes. You couldn't realistically get videos on the internet so you had to make do with other stuff to get your fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom