• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Dresden said:
Nah, you guys just don't get excited enough. Y'all are just bitter folks, sort of like war-weary vets.
That's a shameful lie and you know it. My anime of the season was delayed. Why else would I be so unmotivated?

firehawk12 said:
So is it like the OVA/Episode 0 where it's all "dude wants to sleep with the manager" or is that just an excuse for random hijinks about running a manga company?

I didnt see that OVA/Episode, but in this I dont even think that crossed his mind as he wasnt at least even interested in manga and was turned off by the manager, kind of.

duckroll

icarus-daedelus said:
So the first episode of Angel Beats! was kinda dumb, kinda seems like they're heading in the direction of wasting any potential interest implied in the premise, but nonetheless it's the most auspicious start yet to a KEY anime.

What am I in for, people? I legitimately know nothing about this one.

It's a waste of time.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
Something wholly forgettable, except for a scene with rocket chairs, so it'll hurt initially but once it's over it'll be over.

icarus-daedelus said:
So the first episode of Angel Beats! was kinda dumb, kinda seems like they're heading in the direction of wasting any potential interest implied in the premise, but nonetheless it's the most auspicious start yet to a KEY anime.

A glorious joyride that I miss to this day, my Otonashi x Naoi x Hinata!!! (so glad the US is getting the Bluray this summer!!!). I thought it was memorable and emotional though fun with GirlDeMo.

mAcOdIn

Dedication Through Light said:
A glorious joyride that I miss to this day, my Otonashi x Naoi x Hinata!!! (so glad the US is getting the Bluray this summer!!!). I thought it was memorable and emotional though fun with GirlDeMo.
Well done sir.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
icarus-daedelus said:

Ugly nonsense.

trejo said:
Dear lord, you were hounding on me for liking Madoka more than Wandering Son based on having seen one episode of the latter and none of the former? Wow.

So Branduil was correct then? dude...

The best part of Blood + was that death, cold blooded to the Nth degree.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I found it -
I'm pretty sure he was talking as far as adaptations go. I'd say aoi hana covered more ground than wandering son (which could have been so much).

Geneijin

Steroyd said:
Main tiny flat chested small person Tooru is basically Konata except she's a lesbian not an otaku.
You insult Konata if you think that's even a comparison! Tooru's more like the jealous, quiet girl who's also a lesbian.

Main bimbo Run, is basically Yui except 100x STUPIDER, how is this possible!?
A clumsier Tsukasa you mean. Yui's smarter than her easily by comparison.

And the same jokes were repeated at least 3 times in the whole episode, infact they were the only jokes reppeated throughout the whole episode, why did I bother watching this when I knew full well from the cover alone and from the first 5 seconds that this would be a poor man's Lucky Star/K-ON, well I've watched said shows all the way through call it retribution for my sins.
Terrible chemistry too. It's already my worse show of this season.

icarus-daedelus said:
So, I just went and gave it a zero rating just to balance things out a bit. The description of that rating is pretty spot-on, too: "Worst ever, maybe useful as a sadistic torture device."
Glass Fleet is bad, but it's not boring, so I don't think "worst ever" is an appropriate label. I would reserve that for shows I could not recommend watching under any circumstances; if you're in the mood for "so bad it's good" stuff, Glass Fleet is a good choice.

mAcOdIn

hosannainexcelsis said:
Glass Fleet is bad, but it's not boring, so I don't think "worst ever" is an appropriate label. I would reserve that for shows I could not recommend watching under any circumstances; if you're in the mood for "so bad it's good" stuff, Glass Fleet is a good choice.
But I think there's two tiers of "so bad it's good," on one hand you have something like Army of Darkness or Big Trouble in Little China, both movies that are so bad they're good and on the other you have something like Glass Fleet which is so bad it's so bad you can't believe it was made. I think Glass Fleet deserves a negative ranking, something like -10.

And I'd be catching up on Glass Fleet but trying to get sound working in linux is really pissing me off.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The only way Kampfer is going to end, is when they find out Sakura is actually a guy like Natsu. Quote me on it.

BluWacky

mAcOdIn said:
But I think there's two tiers of "so bad it's good," on one hand you have something like Army of Darkness or Big Trouble in Little China, both movies that are so bad they're good and on the other you have something like Glass Fleet which is so bad it's so bad you can't believe it was made. I think Glass Fleet deserves a negative ranking, something like -10.

I like to give Glass Fleet the benefit of the doubt; some of it is I think intentionally bizarre. It's the fact that the animation is so terrible that makes it quite so gloriously awful.

And it's nothing compared to say, Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verité, or Blassreiter, or Saint Beast TV, or Marginal Prince, or Fighting Beauty Wulong, or...

trejo

A-Channel 1

Nichijou is way funnier than this and I'm on the side who thinks the humor in Nichijou is not all that.

Geneijin

BluWacky said:
I like to give Glass Fleet the benefit of the doubt; some of it is I think intentionally bizarre. It's the fact that the animation is so terrible that makes it quite so gloriously awful.
Episode 10 and Episode 18 were particularly splendid. Some of the best moments were simply because of the terrible animation, but the space battles were just horrendous. It more or less added to the laughter though.

And it's nothing compared to say, Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verité, or Blassreiter, or Saint Beast TV, or Marginal Prince, or Fighting Beauty Wulong, or...
Platinumhugen Ordian

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
A-Channel 1
I was... surprised. I went in expecting some sort of LOL lesbians version of Lucky Star or something, and I'd watch it for an episode and then forget about it, but that wasn't really the case. It was surprisingly soft and sincere on the whole Toru being into Run, and while there were gags all over the place about it, they didn't really overbear on that. I might have to keep watching. It's not THAT good, the gags are pretty uneven and Run being the kind of moron she is kind of makes things annoying, but it surprised me how nice thoughtfully it portrayed the schoolgirl lesbians trope.

NewFresh

Steins;Gate Ep. 1

I feel confused. At first in a bad way, then in a good way, finally in a meh way.
The show seems like it could develop into something and then
Alpacaman... it looks like I will be coming back.
2evaxwi.jpg

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Lafiel said:
Toradora 11 - Taiga the tsundere with
daddy issues
Yeah, that arc was the one that really sold me on the character (actually, it sold me on Ninorin too) and I started to stop caring about the whole fact that the "We're into each other's best friends" is at best a distraction to the foregone conclusion that is the plot.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
Yeah, that arc was the one that really sold me on the character (actually, it sold me on Ninorin too) and I started to stop caring about the whole fact that the "We're into each other's best friends" is at best a distraction to the foregone conclusion that is the plot.

I do like how that particular arc was just as much about
Ryuuji getting over HIS daddy issues
as it was Taiga doing the same.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didnt see that OVA/Episode, but in this I dont even think that crossed his mind as he wasnt at least even interested in manga and was turned off by the manager, kind of.
Well, the first episode was more of a dream. He's like the shoujo heroine who wishes his "sempai" manager would seduce him and have sex with him.

icarus-daedelus said:

Melodrama and angst. Delicious!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solune said:
He does, it's under Fighting Spirit. What I'm wondering is how could anyone not like Samurai Pizza Cats. That's like a treasure box of nostalgia there.
I only saw a couple episodes eons ago, of which I don't remember much that was worthwhile and I don't have any motivation to go back and see more.

trejo

Hitokage said:
I only saw a couple episodes eons ago, of which I don't remember much that was worthwhile and I don't have any motivation to go back and see more.
I think it's one of the few examples of a show that was actually improved by excessive westernization, if you ask me.

Articalys said:
The best thing about Angel Beats was the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIFV8UUs1-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIAlYL4zuGM

The rest of it was an okay plot that was shoehorned into a ridiculously short number of episodes. If they had more time and were able to pace things from the start it would have turned out much better.

Maybe more episodes, but I think it was the perfect number. Plus Kanade had already maxed out her Hand Sonic.
tumblr_lj8m61RKXl1qbq4v6o1_400.gif

They resolved everyone's plot well. Though werent there rumors of a sequel coming? I would mind having more.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 13 - Half-way through this now, and i haft to admit having came in with the expectation of hating on it, I'm strangely enjoying it for some reason.:lol

Also lol @ minorin
asking whether she is a lesbian or not

trejo

They resolved everyone's plot well.
Wha? No, they didn't.

Lafiel said:
Toradora 13 - Half-way through this now, and i haft to admit having came in with the expectation of hating on it, I'm strangely enjoying it for some reason.:lol
I think that was the case for most of us.

Dresden

Lafiel said:

Also lol @ minorin
And so Toradora claims yet another victim.

RIP.

trejo said:
Wha? No, they didn't.
He doesn't mean anything he says.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
Don't worry - the last arc will pull him back!
I hear a lot of complaints about the ending, but i don't think I'll be disappointed because who he ends up at this point seems so obvious and fits thematically, unless the ending I'm thinking happens doesn't happen?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Melodrama and angst is why I never finished Oniisama e... and that show was a thousand times better than Angel Beats!. :/

Maybe someday.

HOW DARE YOU?!?!?! *slap*

*cries* YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!!!!

Lafiel said:
I hear a lot of complaints about the ending, but i don't think I'll be disappointed because who he ends up at this point seems so obvious and fits thematically, unless the ending I'm thinking happens doesn't happen?
Well, the ending "ending" (ie, after credits) is fine. But the whole build up to that is just... I dunno, Asian melodrama. It's when plot contrivances drive the characters toward the inevitable conclusion because melodrama is exciting to watch.

Without saying too much, it all starts right when the class goes on their ski trip.

Go_Ly_Dow

Lafiel said:

Also lol @ minorin

Welcome to the fold.

Mwhahahahah!!

Lafiel said:

Also lol @ minorin

GOOOODDDD!!

/emporer

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Well, the ending "ending" (ie, after credits) is fine. But the whole build up to that is just... I dunno, Asian melodrama. It's when plot contrivances drive the characters toward the inevitable conclusion because melodrama is exciting to watch.
Pfft there's already a fair bit of asian melodrama in the show so far, are you saying it gets worse? :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
Pfft there's already a fair bit of asian melodrama in the show so far, are you saying it gets worse? :)
It gets more heightened and verges on, well, what Americans would consider soap opera-ish. There's still a fair amount of grounded reality when it comes to all the silliness that happens to the characters up until then.

Takao

Banned
It appears Bandai "I can't believe we haven't been closed yet" Entertainment will announce their Star Driver license at Sakuracon. Personally I am totally shocked...

Anyways:

The Little Battlers - Episode 1:

This was more Megaman Battle Network than Medabots. Though the goofy mask wearing three person gang brought back memories of the rubber robos. I probably won't watch any other episodes.

Duel Masters Victory - Episode 1:

I thought this was going to be traditionally animated, but it's just another 15 minute CG series so I bailed out before the first episode finished.

Digimon Xross Wars - Episode 1:

I actually quite liked this. May proceed with caution in watching the rest.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Why?! Are they trying to bankrupt themselves?
Star Driver sold decently in Nippon, don't see why it wouldn't do well here. Mecha! Bones! Brolust! It's not like everyone's going to go into it with outsized expectations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Star Driver sold well in Nippon, don't see why it wouldn't do well here. Mecha! Bones! Brolust!
I just assumed everyone thought it sucked. :p

At least with Infinite Stratos, I could understand...

icarus-daedelus said:
I, I d-didn't mean to upset you, onee-sama!
Wait, wrong show.
Hmph! Watch who you give your Valetines Day chocolates to! I know your SECRET!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom